The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 07-30-2017, 01:43 PM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerhof View Post
If you're of a donating mind, libraries and prisons are both excellent places to donate old gamebooks.
I never would have thought of donating to a prison, but that makes a lot of sense.

I did give all my D&D 3 cruft to a friend as a long-term, possibly permanent loan since for some reason that's the system he would be potentially interested in running if he ever GMs something, so that cleared up about half a shelf Friday night. Just in time, since I got Pugmire in the mail yesterday.

I'm considering getting Starfinder because you can take anything and put it in space to instantly make me twenty times more interested in it. I was planning to get the limited edition because I just got my quarterly bonus, but for some reason after committing to spending eighty bucks on the book the ten dollar shipping gives me pause.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:39 AM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Me: It's time to be more moderate in your purchase of book games and finally shed some of these RPG manuals you know you'll never use.

Also me: There was a D20 Starship Troopers RPG? Eff yeah throw that in the order!
Old 08-06-2017, 02:24 AM

YUP I am quite enjoying FFTCG. Already played in 2 draft tournaments and might hit up the local Thursday night constructed group.

For those who play, you may appreciate this- At the Opus 3 release last draft last night I got 3 legendaries in my 4 packs- Ultima, Foil Exdeath, and Foil Delita. Earlier in the night I got Garnet with three packs I just happened to buy, and later got Lenna in my 3-pack prize for placing fourth. Then I bought 3 more on the way out the door and got a foil Zack (which I traded for 2x non-foil Zacks!). Best night of TCG luck I've ever had.

My poor wallet.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:38 PM
King Of Space-Time

Dunno about the gameplay, but I like the inkbrush style on the artwork for this.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:22 PM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Well that's pretty but whenever I see a new card game being brought over from Japan I really want to see the actual mechanics before putting money down on it. (Though at least I don't see any unnecessary four-digit numbers on display so far.)
Old 08-07-2017, 08:25 AM
Yes, let's feast!

BakaFire are the same people who brought you Tragedy Looper, et al. I can't vouch for any of their other games, but they at least have design chops. Sandalwood, that is
Old 08-07-2017, 11:08 AM
Sega CD version is better

Trying really hard not to rant about how AEG sold Legend of the Five Rings to a company who so far has shown no interest in the RPG side of things because publishing the card game was getting too difficult, only to turn around and publish an entirely new Japanese-themed card game...
Old 08-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Hey, AEG published Warlord, one of my all-time favorite games, before doing pretty much the same thing with it, but grousing about the fact that AEG is still in business and releasing new games (especially when it's a completely different kind of game) won't bring our old favorites back.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:46 PM
and ermine, too

AEG was the first US publisher on the new wave of Japanese designer games when they grabbed Love Letter, Trains, and Sail to India. But this is the first Japanese co-publication I've seen from AEG in a while (It generally feels like Z-Man and Iello have been redeveloping and localizing more games recently, but I haven't actually checked)
Old 10-22-2017, 07:11 PM
Dinger!

The GM of my Blades in the Dark group was away for our session yesterday, so I ran Apocalypse World instead. Goddamn, I forgot how good a game this is, and how much of a better GM I am now than when I first ran it a year ago. It was so much fun that we might make it a regular thing.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:41 AM

Yesterday I found myself wondering if there was such thing as two player board games. Like, I want to play a board game but donít think I could find enough participants! So I googled it and found The Arkham Horror: The Card Game in an IGN list of good two player games. Not quite a board game, but interesting enough to not matter. I bought it on Amazon, but since itís the weekend it hasnít been shipped and I still have time to cancel.

Any opinions on its worthiness? It seems like itís a play once and then never again sort of thing, which is a bit disappointing.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Dinger!

There are literally an unfathomable number of two-player board games.

I haven't played the Arkham Horror card game, but here are some suggestions from my own experience. I don't know your experience in the hobby, so I'll give a wide variety of options:

1) Chess. I don't mean this sarcastically. In my experience, people often exclude traditional games from their mental catalogue of "board games", but that's a mistake. Chess is a brilliant game! Easy to learn, fun to play at all levels (especially if your opponent is of similar skill) and very easy to find.

2) Jaipur: technically a card game, but the board game/card game distinction is pretty meaningless. In any case, Jaipur is dead simple to learn, cheap, pretty and surprisingly strategically deap. If you like Ticket to Ride or the resource acquisition of Settles of Catan, you'll love Jaipur.

3) Onitama. I only played this once, but I was very impressed. Essentially, a simplified version of Chess but where the moves available to your pieces are in constant flux. Great if you're a fan of Chess but want something different. In this same category, but slightly more complex, is The Duke.

4) Forbidden Desert Co-operative games are always great for two players because it's a lot easier to co-operate with one other person than three other people. And, in my opinion, Forbidden Desert is the best of Pandemic-designer Matt Leacock's designs. It's simpler than Pandemic without losing any depth (unlike Forbidden Island), it's absolutely gorgeous and it has some really fun, tactile gameplay mechanics.

5) Ginkgopolis. Technically a five-player game, but it plays really well (maybe best?) with two. It's ... hard to describe. You're city planners building the green school of the future. They're card drafting, deck building, resource management, tile-laying, area control. Basically, if you're a fan of Euro games, you'll love it. Also, and you might be noticing a theme here, it's very pretty.

6)Twilight Struggle. A deep, complex, but extremely rewarding two-player war game about the Cold War. More than your average person is willing to put into a game, but if you really like board games and you have a friend who also really like board games, Twilight Struggle is an extremely strong pick. Helps if you're interested in Cold War history. If you want a slightly simpler, but similar, game, try 1960: The Making of the President.

Also, Star Wars: Rebellion and War of the Ring, but I've run out of time for recommending things.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Yes, let's feast!

There are also many, many one-player board games if you're really worried about being able to get something to the table. Arkham Horror: The Card Game can be played solo -- most co-ops can, whether or not they say it on the box.

Most of my gaming is two-player. While there are plenty of games that are designed for exactly two players (chess, Jaipur, Onitama, Twilight Struggle), my wife and I tend towards games with flexible player counts that happen to play well with two.

"But how do I know what plays well with two?" As it happens, BoardGameGeek has a feature for this. On a game's detail page, it lists three player counts. Terraforming Mars, for instance, says:

Quote:
1Ė5 Players
Community: 1Ė5 ó Best: 3Ė4
The first range is the publisher's listed player count. The "Community" player count is BGG users saying, "Yeah, but this is the real player count." Some games throw in a two-player variant as an afterthought; some games are unplayably slow at max player count. The Community suggestion is what you get when you take away the player counts that the game only technically supports.

"Best" is what it sounds like. Terraforming Mars works great with three or four players. Scythe plays 1-5, but for best results, you really want exactly four players. Gingkopolis is best with two or three.

Anything that's highly rated and "best with 2" is a great suggestion (though be sure to adjust for your tastes), but many games that are not "best with 2" are still really good with 2. Pandemic and Forbidden Desert say "best with 4," but my wife and I have gotten dozens of plays out of those.

Regarding Arkham Horror: The Card Game: I do own this one, and I can't comment on its replayability, because we have had exactly one session of the game. It's a deck customization game, so you need to play it with someone who will get into that. My wife doesn't. I might go back and give it a solo run at some point.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:06 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Check out the "Let's Play Spirit Island" thread right next door. It's a co-op game that scales well from one to four.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:07 PM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
Any opinions on its worthiness? It seems like itís a play once and then never again sort of thing, which is a bit disappointing.
I have a couple friends who play this often. Co-op games tend to have scenarios that err on the difficult side so it might take a few tries to learn each one and find out the way you want to tackle it. I think you can "fail forward" in this one though. If you like it there are expansions with new scenarios and characters, and the number of possible combinations of characters and playstyles will quickly multiply. You could go back and replay scenarios with a new party or a very different deck, or replay them on higher difficulties if you really get into it.

I don't get excited by card games much these days, I prefer Eldritch Horror or Mansions of Madness for my light RPG co-op fix.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:39 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Hey, are there any games inspired by the Winchester Mystery House? I say someone playing a tile-laying game on facebook and it occurred to me that a Winchester game where you build an increasingly, impractical, sprawling and dangerous house is so friggin' obvious. I did find a Japanese game called "Scratch House", which was a little more anime cutesy than I was thinking.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:07 AM

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. Board games are so expensive, itís hard to decide which to take the risk on. Or theyíre just rare! There doesnít currently seem to be any way to buy stuff like Spirit Island or Gloomhaven in Canada without paying obnoxious scalper prices.

Mogri, I really appreciate the lesson on board game geek, thatís extremely useful information.

Since Iím brand new to all this stuff I might as well stick with Arkham Horror Card Game. It has an appealing aesthetic, and it should be a fun experiment. And none of you have said it was trash garbage. Iíll let yíall know about my experience...whether you care or not!
Old 11-12-2017, 07:31 AM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Hey, are there any games inspired by the Winchester Mystery House? I say someone playing a tile-laying game on facebook and it occurred to me that a Winchester game where you build an increasingly, impractical, sprawling and dangerous house is so friggin' obvious. I did find a Japanese game called "Scratch House", which was a little more anime cutesy than I was thinking.
Closest thing I can think of is Castles of Mad King Ludwig. When I play I start telling stories about everyone's houses, and I try to go for a theme myself. My last one was a tower in the middle of a haunted garden, everything else was hallways and dungeon rooms underground, except for a single outbuilding with no doors or windows, accessible only from the dungeon below.

It's a pretty simple euro, so there's not a whole lot of mechanics to enforce the themes, but if you use your imagination I think it's pretty amusing.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:34 AM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Betrayal at House on the Hill? Itís about building a ridiculous mansion and then running from the horrors found inside.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:58 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. Board games are so expensive, itís hard to decide which to take the risk on. Or theyíre just rare! There doesnít currently seem to be any way to buy stuff like Spirit Island or Gloomhaven in Canada without paying obnoxious scalper prices.

Mogri, I really appreciate the lesson on board game geek, thatís extremely useful information.

Since Iím brand new to all this stuff I might as well stick with Arkham Horror Card Game. It has an appealing aesthetic, and it should be a fun experiment. And none of you have said it was trash garbage. Iíll let yíall know about my experience...whether you care or not!
Several of the games I mentioned are pretty cheap (like ~20-40 dollar range) and should be easy to find. If you're into bigger, more sprawling stuff, though, yeah, they're expensive.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:30 AM
and ermine, too

Quote:
I read the first sentence, hit "reply" to link Scratch House, and then read the rest of your post. Carry on. :]
Old 11-13-2017, 09:26 AM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Arkham Horror TCG is a fun 2p game, Demo and I have played it that way (I think my favorite way to play is with two core sets and three players).

If you want more inexpensive*, in-print, non-cooperative 2p options, these are my personal favorites:
  • Race for the Galaxy
  • Grand Austria Hotel
  • Glass Road
  • Innovation
  • Mottainai
  • Traders of Osaka
  • Bohnanza: The Duel

* $50 USD or less on Amazon Prime, which is really just preventing me from recommending one of my favorite games, Mage Knight: The Board Game.

I also have a copy of Wir Sind das Volk sitting on the dining room table... I'll let you know how that goes once we have a chance to play it. :P
Old 11-14-2017, 10:50 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pence View Post
If you want more inexpensive*, in-print, non-cooperative 2p options, these are my personal favorites:
  • Race for the Galaxy
This, this, 1000 times this. I spent the entirety of my marriage trying to find good 2-player board games and never found anything else half as good as Race. I, um, I like it quite a lot.

Also, I'm super happy no one said "Lost Cities", which is always one of the first things I hear when this topic of conversation comes up. I can't stand that game.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:56 AM
Dinger!

I love Lost Cities! But I'm also aware that the math of it turns people off, which is why I usually recommend Jaipur or Battle Line instead.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:21 PM

Arkham Horror The Card Game arrived! Amazon didnít put it in a box and instead affixed the shipping label to the game box! It got a bit banged up! What the heck, Amazon??

Anyway, it looks fairly complex. Hope we can make sense of it.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:48 AM
An Animal of Joy

Haha, holy shit Amazon is getting so cheap. I'm sure their non-uniformed delivery person punted it directly onto your doorstep from his unmarked, double-parked van. (stop giving Amazon your moneyyyy)

I feel the need to temper the Race for the Galaxy recommendation. I never enjoy it. First, it's a sea of icons that you need to memorize. It takes so much focus to play your own hand that you can't even really comprehend what your opponent is doing on their side. It's like playing separate games of solitaire. You just kind of scoot some planets and resources around a bit and then somebody says the game's over, usually at an unexpected moment, and then you count up your VP. Very anticlimactic.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:10 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Ravensburger discounts on Amazon. Jigsaw puzzles as well as Notre Dame/Year of the Dragon 10th Anniversary editions. Those are both excellent games.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:39 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Hello, fellow humans! I am creating a game made of cards and I need you to help me.

The game is currently called Dungeon Poker, for lack of a better name, and it's a dungeon crawl for 1-2 players that is getting reasonably close to ready-for-testers. I need the following categories of testers, in descending order by desirability:
  • People I can watch playing the game for the first time. Ideally, you have Tabletop Simulator, and I can invite you to a game where I watch you play. Less ideally, you would play the game over webcam. The idea here is that I can see how a person plays the game with only the rules as explanation, so I won't tell you how to play unless we find that I have done something that makes it impossible for you to proceed.
  • People who play the game on their own time. I will have the assets for you to print-and-play the game, and I can also give you the raw image files I'm feeding into TTS if you have that but don't want me staring at you while you play. Any feedback you can provide is greatly appreciated.
  • People who read the rules. Even if you just look through the rulebook and give feedback, that's great.

Last but not least but of indeterminate priority: if you come up with a better name than "Dungeon Poker," then you will be my hero and I will love you forever. I have also considered "Dungeon Draw." "One-Deck Dungeon" is already taken.

Anyone who helps in any way earns a place in the credits, so please let me know how you'd like to be credited if you give any feedback.

Hey what's the game about anyway
As the name suggests, you are doing the dungeon thing, and when you enter combat, you create card combinations to execute your attacks. "Dungeon Poker" is evocative but not very representative, since very few of your combinations are actual poker hands.

As you progress through the dungeon, your party acquires new abilities and grows stronger. Your goal is to defeat three bosses without dying in the process.

Why are you doing this
You don't need a reason to make a game, but for context, I am entering the game into this contest. The only component allowed in the game is a deck of 54 cards. (It would have been fantastic if I could have had, like, damage counters or something, but ~oh well~)

When can I play it
I'm finalizing some cards, then I need to actually produce the card images, and at that point, it'll be ready to play. Hopefully within a week. The manual should be ready a bit sooner. I'll put a link up when it's good to go.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I own TTS and would be willing to cavort for your amusement!

Random title brainstorming based on limited info:
  • Rummy Runner(s)
  • (54-)Card Caverns
  • Death/Deadly Dealers
  • Decked-Out Dungeon Run
  • Ill-Suited Sojourn/Spelunk
  • Survival Shuffle
  • Top-Deck Dive
Old 12-01-2017, 01:46 PM
TARANTUL

Deck of Many Dungeons

Tags
board games , fear of new threads , not worth its own thread , pen and paper rpgs , traditional games