The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 07-04-2017, 12:11 AM
Serial Thread Killer

Default Fidgit spinners are the WHAT now?

It seems as though the Catholic church is using those nifty toys to help explain the methodology behind the holy trinity.

I've been laughing my ass off for a solid 30 minutes*. This is the greatest thing I've gotten to read for the last 2 months. I'll bet they wished they had these things back at the Council of Nicaea.

If this only seems simply quaint to you, do a quick skim on the Council and how this concept got its start and was under such hot debate even then. Its a refreshing reminder to me that all throughout history, despite technological advancements, changes in culture, and universal hardship, people themselves haven't really changed much at their core. Many things change, a few things endure. Like a fad toy.

*I feel I should disclaim that I'm not intending to mock anyone's religion. Think of it like a moment of levity in depressing times.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:00 AM
Better be the real thing.

While I wouldn't go so far as to call it heresy, I do think Toy Adams is ultimately right about how the spinner depicts the distinction between the three Persons. It makes the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit look like they're just parts of God, rather than each one being 100% God in his own right, and all three of them being 100% God together. Of course, there's not really any good way to depict that visually to begin with, at least that I'm aware of.

Other than that, my only major quibble is just that the LiveScience article isn't quite precise about the debate at Nicea. It makes it sound a little like the Arians believed Christ was merely human. The argument, at least as I understand it, had more to do with whether the Second Person of the Trinity, the pre-incarnate divine Logos, was equal and coeternal with God the Father. That does have implications for the Incarnation, which is why the issue was so divisive, but it doesn't imply the same thing that denying his divinity altogether might have.

(Plus the article, probably by necessity, leaves out the First Council of Constantinople, which revised the Creed to its current form. And then there's the whole matter of the Filioque... but that's its own can of worms, and well outside the realm of what can be explained with a fidget spinner.)
Old 07-04-2017, 03:08 AM
New Video World is out!

I went up to a stall in Oxford high street where these were being sold and I was all "what do they do", and the bloke says "they spin", and I'm like "what else" and he's like "that's it", and I turned to the camera and gave it the full Tim from The Office.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:26 AM
This way up

come for the fidget spinner mockery, stay for the theological bickerings

(the best explanation of the Council of Nicaea I ever came across was a C of E vicar's Doctor Who audio.

It was called the Council of Nicaea, funnily enough.)
Old 07-04-2017, 06:50 AM
Mystery Contraption

I played with a fidget spinner once. It entertained me for exactly as long as it took for me to notice my DS was beside it. Then I played Super Mario Brothers.

Fidget Spinners: They provide almost an entire seconds worth of fun!
Old 07-04-2017, 07:14 AM
Find Your Reason

But then, what are fidget cubes?
Old 07-04-2017, 09:38 AM
King Of Space-Time

Old 07-04-2017, 09:54 AM
play digimon cyber sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
But then, what are fidget cubes?
Far superior
Old 07-04-2017, 09:56 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I went up to a stall in Oxford high street where these were being sold and I was all "what do they do", and the bloke says "they spin", and I'm like "what else" and he's like "I'm needed in the basement"
Old 07-04-2017, 11:23 AM
Family Man

Because I'm on the autism spectrum, I was gifted both a fidget spinner and a fidget cube by family before this fad started. I tried them both for a few minutes and they did nothing for me, so I put them in a drawer. Imagine my utter disbelief when I saw tons of spinners in stores a few months later.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:46 AM
ah’m margaret wartahm

The good-ass Evanescence-dog-fidget spinner tweet seems to have disappeared. Dang; heck on that.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:54 AM
post-mystic lich princess

zzzzz

I need physical sensation for my own stimming, so I... probably could do with a cube some time, if not a spinner.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:10 PM
play digimon cyber sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
I need physical sensation for my own stimming, so I... probably could do with a cube some time, if not a spinner.
Obviously it's all individual, but I way prefer the cubes to the spinners for two reasons, one just plain subjective and one way more subjective.

Spinners do one thing; cubes do six things, providing variety and choice. Efficient!

Spinners seem to me to also require more attention than the switches, dials, etc on cubes that are all designed for one-turn fidgeting; for me these things are substitutes for doodling, which has been a problem because it initially satisfies the stim urge but then engages me in something that's not the lecture/whatever I'm trying to focus on, which totally defeats the purpose. The ideal stim for me lets me feel like I'm multitasking or doing something with my free hand while actually demanding as little attention as possible. Absently flicking a switch is way better for that than setting something to spinning with two hands and then probably watching it because now that they're marketed as toys they all have lights and colors on them.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:10 PM

Incidentally, to explain the heresies involved...

Partialism is basically what I described above, that the Persons of the Trinity are parts that join to form the whole God, Voltron-style. It is also not the first result you get for the term on Wikipedia; the article you do get is kinda NSFW.

Modalism and Sabellianism are two terms for the same idea: that each person of the Trinity is a particular "mode" God takes on at different times, rather than all existing and acting at the same time. It's also called "Patripassianism," because it leads to the problematic idea that God the Father, whom the Church considered totally transcendant and unknowable except through the Son and Spirit, personally suffered on the Cross.

So I'm still not quite willing to call fidget spinner theology heretical--Sabellianism seems like a stretch--I can see a little risk.

This is why you either get seminarians to explain the Trinity, or put an emphasis on apophatic theology instead. With the former, at least it's more forgivable when they accidentally slip into heresy. With the latter, you understand from the outset that it's supposed to be outside normal logic.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure I've caught Jack Chick with some Sabellianism in his tracts. And Nestorianism, on one occasion.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Default I am a terrible person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I went up to a stall in Oxford high street where these were being sold and I was all "what do they do", and the bloke says "they spin", and I'm like "what else" and he's like "that's it", and I turned to the camera and gave it the full Tim from The Office.

You mean Jim.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Find Your Reason

As a kid, it's easy to separate the three "personas" of the Trinity exactly as described in the Nicene Creed (which, c'mon, specifically splits them up as if they were distinct entities.) But coming to terms with the concept as an adult, I envision the Trinity as light seen through a prism --it is one and indivisible, but when the observer sees it from one angle, they see one aspect of that light; seen from another angle, it's another aspect. So it is our intention that perceives different facets to the single, atomic Trinity.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Outraged!

I feel like the hours I spent in math class teaching myself to spin a pen around my thumb were wasted now that fidget spinners exist.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:29 PM

In some ways, it is sort of like the old blind-men-feeling-an-elephant conundrum, and it ties together with the apophatic theology article I linked. Even the concept of the Trinity doesn't fully convey the total inconceivable reality of the Godhead, but it's the best language and conceptualization we have for what the Apostles and their spiritual descendants experienced.

Still, since we're supposed to be made in the image of God, I think it might help to look at it this way: There's the dril you know through his tweets. There's the dril you know through his influence on others. And there's the unfathomable mystery of the dril that only dril himself knows. That's sort of what the Trinity's like. It's just that God's Word represents him so well it might as well be God himself--and might as well be his Son. And God's influence--or breath, or Spirit--represents him so well... you get the idea.

You should never have gotten me started.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
I feel like the hours I spent in math class teaching myself to spin a pen around my thumb were wasted now that fidget spinners exist.
Not at all! Because 1) I will take your fidget spinner away from you in class and 2) you can smuggly brag that you were in on the fad before it was a thing, and 3) you're all inferior to the wizkids that speed-solve rubix cubes in class all day.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:54 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
"Millenials are destroying learning how to spin a pen around a thumb!"
Old 07-05-2017, 08:12 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
Still, since we're supposed to be made in the image of God, I think it might help to look at it this way: There's the dril you know through his tweets. There's the dril you know through his influence on others. And there's the unfathomable mystery of the dril that only dril himself knows. That's sort of what the Trinity's like.
I will use this explanation for the rest of my days.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:26 AM
Life depends on change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaspoon View Post
(the best explanation of the Council of Nicaea I ever came across was a C of E vicar's Doctor Who audio.

It was called the Council of Nicaea, funnily enough.)
I can't believe I got ninja'd on posting about that audio in this thread

I'm happy about it, but dang, didn't see that coming

(I love that audio. Whatever happened to Erimem, anyway? Why hasn't she come back?)
Old 07-05-2017, 03:14 PM
This way up

The original author decided he really liked her and started a spin-off series of his own and I guess now she has her own independent range of books?

http://www.thebespublishing.com/erimem

I am equally surprised by how that turned out.