The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 07-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Find Your Reason

$150 for the 16Gb Nook HD+. The 32Gb one was 180. But I knew from the start I'd be putting a lot of media on it, so I "upgraded" it to 32 myself via a $15 Sandisk microSD from Staples. If I wanted to, I could just load CyanogenMod 10 on the card and quickroot the Nook into a "legit" Android Jelly Bean tablet, but for the moment I'm happy just installing the Nova launcher to replace the Nook home. I have no need for rooting or sideloading, and it's easier and faster to load all my content on the card (or even share the card with my phone/camera) than to transfer it via cable.

It also helps that one of my CCs is having a "summer sale" offer where any purchase above $50 can be deferred to 6-months interest-free payments But man, the official B&N accessories are the most expensive ones ever, even compared to the Vita's proprietary memory cards. I wish there were third-party HDMI adapters to compete with the official $40 one
Old 07-01-2013, 04:50 PM
GASP

Pronouns: She/Her

Note that the reason Nook tablets are so cheap now is because B&N has decided to call the whole tablet thing a failure and they're ceasing production.

They'll still be making e-ink Nooks.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Find Your Reason

Last I heard, they were ceasing production of the Nook themselves, but they'll outsource them to other manufacturers the same way Google does with the Nexus.

Still, even if they're just dumping inventory, as long as they continue to support eBooks I'm fine. I can do fine with a Jelly Bean tablet for a few years

EDIT: D'oh! The article you linked said the same thing. Guess I should read before commenting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall Street Journal
But with e-reader sales expected to decline over time
Huh, really? So e-readers WERE just a fad after all? I thought digital delivery was killing paper publishing, at least in North America, hence all the bookstores struggling to compete with Amazon.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:39 PM
GASP

Maybe they're expecting e-ink to go away in favor of full tablets. That seems nuts to me, but I can't stand reading for long periods on a backlit screen.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:43 PM
gatchapon 3*

Pronouns: he/him

i love my kindle, but after reading an entire book on my phone's kindle app, i'm kinda sold on backlit.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droewyn View Post
...I can't stand reading for long periods on a backlit screen.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:15 AM
Unreliable Narrator

One of today's Kindle Daily Deals is A Drink Before the War , a book I've seen previously recommended in What'cha Reading but not read myself. Yet.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:26 AM
Nice On!

New Sci-Fi StoryBundle is out. Someone tell me if any of these are worth reading, while noting that I kinda hate Sci-fi that is all premise and no characters. (If you do, that's cool! Just not my cup of tea.)
Old 07-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Huh, I was sure that link would go to the Humble Book Bundle II (I just read the email announcement), several of which I could recommend, but I haven't read any in your bundle.

Humble Bundle II has Shards of Honor (characters!), Spin (concept), and the Last Unicorn (unicorns!).
Old 07-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
i love my kindle, but after reading an entire book on my phone's kindle app, i'm kinda sold on backlit.
I find that I sometimes don't mind a smaller backlit screen and sometimes really want the eInk screen.

I'm really glad Amazon's sync is basically seamless!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:46 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
I find that I sometimes don't mind a smaller backlit screen and sometimes really want the eInk screen.

I'm really glad Amazon's sync is basically seamless!
amen. i am happy to live in a world with all three choices available to me.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Find Your Reason

After redeeming my very first Ultraviolet movie, linking it to my Nook, and then redeeming another half dozen from my collection; after downloading Comic Rack and tossing a bunch of old manga on it (particularly an entire Ranma manga torrent, since I own the whole thing legally but it's all the way in Mexico; ) after downloading a bunch of game magazines; after downloading a huuuuge HTML fanfic archive from my favorite late 90s authors; after getting Super GNES and synching with a Bluetooth controller; after finally using a bunch of news, social, and photo viewing Android apps that my phone's screen was too tiny for, I'm really glad I went with the Nook tablet instead of the eReader
Old 07-04-2013, 12:56 AM
We just don't know.

Reading Thomas Pynchon has convinced me I can never make a full switch away from paper (not that I was ever going to) because flipping through and using color-coded highlighters is too engrossing to give up to Kindle's kinda shitey navigation and highlighting.

I still love my kindle, but different kinds of experiences, right?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I'm really glad I went with the Nook tablet instead of the eReader
I went with both. The E-Reader Kindle I find is optimal for reading regular books. My Samsung 7" Galaxy Tab works great for FB/Android games, Newspapers and Magazines, and watching TV. For writing, most internet browsing and emulation, my laptop is far superior.

Right tool for the right job.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:24 AM
GASP

One of today's Kindle Daily Deals is a Regency romance about Marcia Brady, one of three lovely girls, all of the them with hair of gold.

Is it horrible that I'm finding myself desperately curious about where the fuck the author is going with this ridiculous premise?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Lady Marcia
Although perhaps blissful was a better word. Blissful and aching. How she ached! Yet it was a blissful ache. Which made no sense-
Kind of like that paragraph.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Now I can downloading walkthroughs off GameFAQs and send them to the Kindle app on my tablet. Don't you judge me!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Unreliable Narrator

I tried to read the SMT: Nocturne faq on my Kindle paperwhite yesterday and it wasn't a big success. Columns weren't wide enough and the browser wouldn't let me rotate the screen. Would have worked better if I saved it as a doc, but eventually the iPad charged up enough to use instead.

Tablets just do web pages and comics better. Except the screen keeps timing out on you while you play your game...
Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 AM
borgn

I will not ever read a comic book again that's not on my iPad.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Reading Thomas Pynchon has convinced me I can never make a full switch away from paper (not that I was ever going to) because flipping through and using color-coded highlighters is too engrossing to give up to Kindle's kinda shitey navigation and highlighting.

I still love my kindle, but different kinds of experiences, right?
I wouldn't be surprised if Pynchon himself felt the same way; he only agreed to e-publication last year.

Not that I would ever read Pynchon on an e-reader, aside perhaps from Slow Learner and The Crying of Lot 49.

I've finally gave in and bought an e-reader myself (Kobo mini) because I was interview for an e-book-related job. I didn't get the job, but I find I like e-reading more than expected.

Though I nearly threw my Kobo across the room when I discovered the thing has a fricking achievements system. Really, must everything be gamified? Thankfully you can turn the achievements off.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:36 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Any opinions on Kindle Fires? I just bought textbooks for school and since I had to buy a bundle of books each of which is literally 1,000+ pages, I opted for the online option (it's also cheaper, so there's that too).

It comes with 2 downloads, so one for my home PC, and now I'm thinking of investing in either a Chromebook or a Kindle Fire to run it on so I can have my books with me away from school. My friend has a Chromebook so I know what to expect there but I'm wondering if anyone has any opinion on whether a Kindle Fire is worth it or not? Are they reliable? What's the battery life like? Any common defects I should be concerned with?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:47 PM
gatchapon 3*

kindle fires are super suck for anything but the Amazon Experience (tm).
Old 07-31-2013, 04:49 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Any opinions on Kindle Fires? I just bought textbooks for school and since I had to buy a bundle of books each of which is literally 1,000+ pages, I opted for the online option (it's also cheaper, so there's that too).

It comes with 2 downloads, so one for my home PC, and now I'm thinking of investing in either a Chromebook or a Kindle Fire to run it on so I can have my books with me away from school. My friend has a Chromebook so I know what to expect there but I'm wondering if anyone has any opinion on whether a Kindle Fire is worth it or not? Are they reliable? What's the battery life like? Any common defects I should be concerned with?
yeah unless you need them for color pictures or something I'd just get a paperwhite. If you do need color pictures you might be better off with the Ipad Mini
Old 07-31-2013, 05:01 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Yeah but then I'd have to buy something from Apple and that has never been a good idea at any point in time.

The rep said it doesn't work on Paperwhite; it has to be Fire for...some reason. She could be mistaken but I don't know. I'm leaning more towards Chromebook anyways, since I know it runs in Chrome just fine and all I really need it to do is Be a Screen™ that I can take with me places. I'm just curious if anyone had an experience with the Fire...and judging from Shivam/reviews I've seen it sounds like I'm doing the right thing, probably.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Yeah but then I'd have to buy something from Apple and that has never been a good idea at any point in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
you might be better off with the B&N Nook HD+
Old 07-31-2013, 05:12 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Again, the rep claimed it doesn't work with Nook for some reason. She claimed she "wasn't tech savvy" so should she couldn't elaborate...otherwise I'd probably do that yeah.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Again, the rep claimed it doesn't work with Nook for some reason. She claimed she "wasn't tech savvy" so should she couldn't elaborate...otherwise I'd probably do that yeah.
Maybe the Rep don't know what she talking about. Also if it just needs the Amazon app the Iphone has that... Also plenty of software out there to strip DRM out of ebooks and convert them into other formats.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:18 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

My anecdotal experience is that two friends have bought Kindle Fires then stopped using them within a week. If you don't want an iPad then it sounds like a Chrome Book is the best bet.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:53 PM
GASP

If you can get it DRM-stripped and viewable in Calibre, it'll be fine on a Nook or other e-reader.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:06 PM
gatchapon 3*

do you know which company is handling the ebooks for your school?

Tags
falselogic