The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Not 100% a dick

Hey so I'm looking into the possiblity of buying one of these virtual book machines. Only I'm poor and have no idea what the difference is between any of them. Can you fine folks suggest to me some of the better options for a fella who doesn't have a huge amount of cash to burn?
Old 12-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE-Ryan View Post
Hey so I'm looking into the possiblity of buying one of these virtual book machines. Only I'm poor and have no idea what the difference is between any of them. Can you fine folks suggest to me some of the better options for a fella who doesn't have a huge amount of cash to burn?
I'd just click the link Droewyn had in the post before yours!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:29 PM
gatchapon 3*

Pronouns: he/him

the 69 dollar kindle is fantastic, long batteried, and does the job for all your reading needs.

what's your budget?
Old 12-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Not 100% a dick

Not entirely sure what I can/want to spend on it yet, I'll have to see how Christmas pans out. I'm shooting for under $100, but if I end up rich in gift cards, I might go for something a little higher end.

I guess I expected a bigger market? Are these not a thing that every company and their mom are making yet?

I checked out the spreadsheet, and I'm wondering about this Kindle "power adaptor sold separately" business. Is this a trait common to all Kindles? Does it come with a USB cable to charge like an iThing, or is it a required purchase? Because if it's the latter, then I'd go Nook on principle alone. The Nook Glow does seem the obvious choice anyway (though despite lack of supported file formats), mostly because of the lower price point and the included charger.

All that said, how does this $69 Kindle stack up to the more expensive ones on the spreadsheet? I don't give two shits about "faster page turns" or how many books it can hold. I don't do a ton of reading, I just want something more bus-friendly than an actual book.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
I guess I expected a bigger market? Are these not a thing that every company and their mom are making yet?
Nope, courtesy of everyone's favorite entertainment demon: DRM. Most eBooks sold are locked down, so they can only be read on that distributor's devices.

Quote:
Is this a trait common to all Kindles? Does it come with a USB cable to charge like an iThing, or is it a required purchase?
It comes with a USB cable, and works with every wall-socket-to-USB wart that I've tried it with.

Quote:
All that said, how does this $69 Kindle stack up to the more expensive ones on the spreadsheet? I don't give two shits about "faster page turns" or how many books it can hold. I don't do a ton of reading, I just want something more bus-friendly than an actual book.
If you just want to read books, the $69 Kindle will do just fine for you. The Touch/Paperwhite line adds on extra features like better note-taking (on-screen keyboard and all) and auto-indexing ("X-Ray").

Though it's worth noting that if you already have an iOS or Android device, the Kindle app is probably your cheapest bet unless you don't like reading on its screen for some reason.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Though it's worth noting that if you already have an iOS or Android device, the Kindle app is probably your cheapest bet unless you don't like reading on its screen for some reason.
This, exactly. I've tried reading books on my iPhone, and it's all good for doing a little internet browsing now and then, but it's far to small for actually sitting down to read something on.

EDIT:
Quote:
Nope, courtesy of everyone's favorite entertainment demon: DRM. Most eBooks sold are locked down, so they can only be read on that distributor's devices.
I have to ask about this too. Is it the ebooks themselves that are locked? I'm all for supporting authors and actually buying books, but if I were to want to get a digital copy of a book I already own through less legitimate channels...

Last edited by TE-Ryan; 12-13-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:27 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Not entirely sure what I can/want to spend on it yet, I'll have to see how Christmas pans out. I'm shooting for under $100, but if I end up rich in gift cards, I might go for something a little higher end.

I checked out the spreadsheet, and I'm wondering about this Kindle "power adaptor sold separately" business. Is this a trait common to all Kindles? Does it come with a USB cable to charge like an iThing, or is it a required purchase? Because if it's the latter, then I'd go Nook on principle alone. The Nook Glow does seem the obvious choice anyway (though despite lack of supported file formats), mostly because of the lower price point and the included charger.

i charge my kindle (i have the 69 dollar one) with a standard micro usb charger that i use for my phone. it also comes with a standard usb cable for your pc. As far as just pure reading goes, it's totally fantastic, and does everything i need it to do. the higher end stuff isn't really worth it.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
I have to ask about this too. Is it the ebooks themselves that are locked? I'm all for supporting authors and actually buying books, but if I were to want to get a digital copy of a book I already own through less legitimate channels...
The ebooks themselves, yes. DRM works by encrypting the files and having a program on the reading device that decrypts them when read after verifying that you're allowed to read them. All ebook readers that I'm aware of will also read "plain" ebook files - those from Project Gutenberg or whatever other sources you want. Though do note that even once you have an unencrypted ePub, you'll need to run it through KindleGen or Calibre to get a mobi - the only format the Kindle supports.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 PM
There's no thread shortag

Quote:
The ebooks themselves, yes. DRM works by encrypting the files and having a program on the reading device that decrypts them when read after verifying that you're allowed to read them. All ebook readers that I'm aware of will also read "plain" ebook files - those from Project Gutenberg or whatever other sources you want. Though do note that even once you have an unencrypted ePub, you'll need to run it through KindleGen or Calibre to get a mobi - the only format the Kindle supports.
That's why I bought a Sony...
Old 12-14-2012, 09:21 AM
GASP

Pronouns: She/Her

The $69 Kindle isn't touch screen, if that matters to you. It has several little buttons at the bottom of the device. I messed with it in Best Buy just long enough to decide that it's not intuitive and that I wanted a touch model. You're going to be looking at $100 for regular touch or $120 for the light-up versions.

File formats aren't an issue. You want a free/donationware program called Calibre. It can convert any ebook file into any other format and upload it to your device. It's compatible with all the current ereaders, too. It can be augmented with DRM-cracking plugins, as well, so if you buy a Nook you can still buy and read Kindle books on it (for example). This is amazingly useful for comparison shopping -- prices between Amazon and BN.com are usually the same, but on the rare occasions when they aren't, there can be a difference of several dollars.

I believe that Amazon will give you the USB cord, but they do charge for the AC adapter. This is for all units to my knowledge.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 AM
gatchapon 3*

yeah, i hate the touch screen and found the buttons on the $69 version far more intuitive for reading. wish i could remap some of them, but otherwise, i like it much better.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Unreliable Narrator

I liked my Kindle Keyboard better than the previous cheap touch-based Kindles (I gave a couple as gifts last Christmas and they were about $70 during a Target sale). I guess they dropped the cheap touch in favor of the Paperwhite (which supposedly implements the touch better). With the edge-page-turn buttons, I'd accidentally turn pages; I don't do that with the touch model now but sometimes I accidentally turn twice.

It's certainly easier to type things with touch than using the d-pad but it's not something I do frequently.

And as far as DRM goes, the files on your Kindle are encrypted using the unit's serial number and, given that info, you can crack the DRM off your own purchases with a PC and a Calibre plug-in. Then you can back up your books somewhere away from the Amazon cloud or move them to a Sony/Nook/whatever. Not that the Amazon cloud archive has ever been a problem for me.

Last edited by Grignr; 12-14-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 PM
GASP

I back up my books more as a futureproofing method than as a safeguard against B&N (or Amazon) deciding to lock my account. I may one day decide the FutureBook 3000 suits my needs better and want to move my purchased ebooks over, y'know?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grignr View Post
And as far as DRM goes, the files on your Kindle are encrypted using the unit's serial number and, given that info, you can crack the DRM off your own purchases with a PC and a Calibre plug-in.
Yes, the Kindle's DRM is an effective digital rights protection measure. It's been unchanged since the Kindle 1, so either Amazon can't just update it and offer different files to different readers, or they're deliberately not.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Hey right now Amazon's Kindle book sale has Terry Pratchett's new (otherwise hardback) book Dodger for $2.99. Howl's Moving Castle is on sale for $1.99.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:52 AM
GASP

Quote:
Hey right now Amazon's Kindle book sale has Terry Pratchett's new (otherwise hardback) book Dodger for $2.99. Howl's Moving Castle is on sale for $1.99.
bn.com has the same prices right now, too. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:42 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Alright I opted for the Nook Glow. Thanks guys/gals.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Wait, they finally released a fucking eBook edition of Howl's? That's awesome. I've wanted to read her stuff for ages, but it's all been hilariously out-of-print and her publisher's been dragging their feet on electronic editions.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Baen ebooks will be available on Amazon soon:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baen email
"Now that we're selling on Amazon, it will be easier than ever to download your favorite Weber, Ringo, or Bujold ebook to your Kindle or free Kindle reading app," says Weisskopf. "But you can be sure we will always maintain our famous ebook pioneering spirit and customer-first orientation."
I've been buying them from the Baen site but it would be cool if they lived in my Amazon cloud. I wonder how much more than $6 it will cost for a new Bujold book, though?

Hmm, guess I don't have to wonder, it's not $6 anymore. Should have bought it last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Weisskopf?
Books that are available in hardcover only will be priced at $9.99, trade pbs $8.99 and mass markets $6.99. So there will be an increase in the prices of most of our backlist from one to three dollars immediately. But these were the lowest we could manage that met the rest of the market and the terms we had to agree to.
but the authors are getting a 25% royalty increase, so that's something. And they'll still be DRM free.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 AM
GASP

That's pretty nifty. Is it an Amazon-only deal, or are they working with BN as well?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:27 AM
Unreliable Narrator

It hasn't started yet (no Vorpatril's Alliance for Kindle), but it sounded Amazon exclusive. You can still buy from the baen ebooks site but it looks like it will cost the same (more) now.

The Kindle ebook Daily Deal now has a Science Fiction daily deal! I got Strange & Norrell and Color of Magic for $2 apiece over the weekend. Today is Roadside Picnic which is apparently a classic work of sci-fi that I've never heard of before.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:00 AM
Butt of Polack jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by grignr View Post
today is roadside picnic which is apparently a classic work of sci-fi that i've never heard of before.
get it!!!

It's... I don't know, very Dick-ish. The English translation is at least competent. And it's one of those novels where you get to the end and you look back at what you just read and go 'yea, that was some good literature there'.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Noob CyberBookz™ Question: so I got my sister a Nook, so that means she HAS to buy from B&N? Or does Amazon sell CyberBookz™ that will work for it too? I'm sure they support similar formats but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some DRM shenanigans going on here too.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Inscaper

When I worked for B&N The Nook was nominally opened sourced. Meaning that as long as the file was DRM free (Project Guttenberg, Various Libraries, ETC) it should work on The Nook.

That said Kindle Files are definitely NOT DRM free.

The two libraries are pretty much equal though, so her wanting a book that's on the kindle that's not on the nook probably won't be a problem. And usually I've found that the price differences between the books themselves isn't more than a dollar +\-.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:48 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
When I worked for B&N The Nook was nominally opened sourced. Meaning that as long as the file was DRM free (Project Guttenberg, Various Libraries, ETC) it should work on The Nook.

That said Kindle Files are definitely NOT DRM free.

The two libraries are pretty much equal though, so her wanting a book that's on the kindle that's not on the nook probably won't be a problem. And usually I've found that the price differences between the books themselves isn't more than a dollar +\-.
Okay. Basically I just need to know 1) what kind of gift card to get her with it and 2) since she's even more tech clueless than I am, which retailer to tell her to buy from. I was probably going to tell her to shop at BN anyway just to be safe but she uses Amazon a lot so I was wondering if it'd work. I figured it likely wouldn't but good to know for sure.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Inherently Stealthy

If she's got a wireless router, the Nook should be able to talk to it and have an integrated store. If she's that tech-clueless, just make sure she buys books through the device itself.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:30 AM
GASP

Yeah, it's possible to upload Kindle and other DRM'd books via Calibre, but there's some messing around with plugins before it'll work. As Flawgic said, if she/you aren't computer savvy, just stick with the Nook store or sites like baen.com that specifically state files are DRM free. Pretty much everywhere sells epub files, which is what you want.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Reposted from that NWIOT thread so no one misses this:
all 14 of Fleming's James Bond novels on sale for $1.99 apiece as a Kindle Daily Deal. If anyone sees something else in that sale they'd recommend, please let me know!
Old 03-10-2013, 05:41 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Today's Amazon Kindle Daily Deal is all the Narnia books.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Today it's Vonnegut's Slapstick.

Tags
falselogic