The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 03-22-2017, 01:09 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Story Bundle has a new gaming bundle up, The Rogue Souls bundle. Is Pay What You Want, but the $15 tier has You Died: The Unofficial Dark Souls Companion and Boss Fight Books: Mega Man 3 (I've been told those games are popular around here) and it also has a book by Fearless Leader Himself, Good Nintentions 1985.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:41 AM
Unreliable Narrator

So much Michael Chabon on sale for Kindle Daily Deal!
Old 05-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Out Of Warranty

Default A bundle with a title so long I thought it was a Kingdom Hearts spin-off

The Humble Book Bundle: Super Nebula Author Showcase has a ton of works by sci-fi and fantasy authors.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:48 PM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
The e-book version of Salt Sugar Fat is on-sale for $1.99

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...7260_239074400
Old 11-30-2017, 02:27 AM
Out Of Warranty

StoryBundle has another videogame book bundle for PWYW (with $15 minimum for the higher tier), including Chris Kohler's "Final Fantasy V".
Old 04-30-2018, 04:23 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Amazon's Kindle Daily deal page has some science fiction classics on sale, including the first half of Book of the New Sun (Shadow & Claw) and Tales of Dying Earth.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:16 PM
Inherently Stealthy

While it's not a deal or anything, there's a new Vorkosigan novella.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:21 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't gotten a new Vorkosigan book in quite a while, and Ekaterin is one of my favorite characters (you know, like all of Bujold's characters).
Old 05-23-2018, 09:03 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't gotten a new Vorkosigan book in quite a while, and Ekaterin is one of my favorite characters (you know, like all of Bujold's characters).
If you haven't already, make sure you read all of the Penric novellas - there's six now.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:24 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
While it's not a deal or anything, there's a new Vorkosigan novella.
ZOMG! Thanks for the heads up. I'm super stoked for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
If you haven't already, make sure you read all of the Penric novellas - there's six now.
Fully agree. The Penric stuff is generally fantastic (there's one I thought was just good).
Old 06-13-2018, 10:36 AM
Inherently Stealthy

If you haven't heard, Tor's restarted their free ebook program with a weekly give-away.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:16 PM

And in getting that onto my phone, I've learned I can just email anything to a Kindle and be able to read it. If I can really get a Paperwhite and easily go back and forth between reading on that at home and on my phone at ...elsewhere, that might be the final nail in the coffin for my old workhorse Nook.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:22 PM
actually an eevee

Kindle won't sync books you didn't buy through amazon, but it is pretty good otherwise.

I did just buy a kobo because they haven't released a new paperwhite in a while and mine got smushed at some point so there is a ultimately ignorable, yet annoying defect in the screen in the top left corner. I would kind of miss the x-ray feature, but I am excited about blue light reduction for nighttime reading. I still don't understand why you can't have a white on black mode on the paperwhite!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:20 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
Kindle won't sync books you didn't buy through amazon, but it is pretty good otherwise.
I just checked and my copy of The Quantum Thief (from Tor's ebook program, above, and uploaded VIA the Kindle upload tool) syncs fine. I read it on my Kindle, finished it a couple days ago, downloaded it on my phone, and it's at the last page there.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:21 PM
actually an eevee

Maybe it's just my dirty pirate books, then! Although, perhaps that's because I don't always transfer them to both places...
Old 06-14-2018, 07:48 AM

I suppose the easiest (or at least free-est) way to test this would be to download the PC version of the Kindle reader and see if I can transfer book states between that and my phone, because I have at least a handful of dirty pirate books myself. But enough about my romance novel habit....~
Old 07-26-2018, 10:30 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Court of Fives on sale for $3 - blatantly political YA insurgency trilogy part 1.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:33 AM
Unreliable Narrator

All the Battle Angels are in this Amazon comics sale, though the best Battle Angel books are the new hardback editions of the original. At least I can dump my Last Order paperbacks in favor of the digital omnibus versions!

Also Amazon Vertigo sale if you've never bought Sandman the last hundred times there was a Vertigo sale. Actually there's lots of good titles (Astro City is Vertigo now?) but the sale page is a confusing jumble.
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Got myself a Kindle Paperwhite a few weeks ago and it's been really nice. Got the first volume of Alita in the above sale and discovered I can read manga on it and now I'm even happier with it (I'm assuming it will have major issues holding more than a couple volumes at once though). Now if only I could figure out a good way to organize everything I have on Kindle between my reader, phone app, and PC....
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Calibre? Unless you're just trying to track what your account has, and that's something the various reader apps/actual devices already do.
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM

Everything I've gotten from Amazon already shows up on all my readers, yes, but files from other sources need to be added to every version of the reader individually from what I can tell. Having some kind of online master account for moving my Storybundle purchases, Tor giveaways, et al is at the top of my wishlist.

And while I'm dreaming, an option to tell Amazon I didn't like a particular book and do not want to see similar offerings would be great. And an "I've finished this book, send it to the back of the library so I don't have to scroll past it to see things I haven't ready yet" button would be grand, but I guess that's just sorting by recent and then skipping to the back of the list.
Old Today, 12:51 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Everything I've gotten from Amazon already shows up on all my readers, yes, but files from other sources need to be added to every version of the reader individually from what I can tell. Having some kind of online master account for moving my Storybundle purchases, Tor giveaways, et al is at the top of my wishlist.
You can do that by using Amazon Documents - you just need to email your books to your kindle. Here's Amazon's help page detailing the process. Story Bundle has this integrated into their site - just go to one of your bundle pages and follow the instructions there about how to send to your kindle, and they will mail your books to your Kindle address.

Documents registered in your Amazon Documents are visible from any kindle device, and you can organize them in collections. Just make sure to disable "Whispernet Delivery Over 3G" in your "Mange Content and Devices/Settings/Personal Documents", as Amazon charges for delivering your documents over 3G (but it's free over Wi-Fi).

Tags
falselogic