The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 09-29-2017, 11:05 AM
Kringle Machine

Finally reached the end of the original run of Thrilling Adventure Hour (haven't listened to anything after, though).

I now find myself in the rare company of "people excited to see Mark Evan Jackson or Padget Brewster in anything."

I believe that the rest of that company is made up of "Mark Evan Jacksons mother" and "anyone who watched Harvey Birdman"
Old 09-29-2017, 01:33 PM
an eeling of Christmas

Radiolab's episode about Oliver Sipple opens with the account of the lady who tried to assassinate Pres. Ford that he stopped. That's definitely an unusual choice.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:52 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornGhost View Post
That guy that wrote that book about the history of EVE Online has more or less turned it into a podcast called Empires of EVE: The History Lectures. It's well produced, welcoming of non-EVE players and includes plenty of background and explanation of the game world as well as audio interviews with players involved. I expect you already know if you want to hear this or not.
Listened to all of this on a car trip this weekend (there's only two full length (half hour) episodes so far, so you can get caught up in no time at all). Amazing story, good production quality. Love it exactly as much as I expected, even though I went into it knowing absolutely nothing about EVE. A+, I want more now! So much so that I interrupted my current read to pick up the Empires of EVE book.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:11 AM
It's all good, man

It's good. It reads just like an interesting history book.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:14 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

I half-listened (noisy environment) to everything, too, but I don't think I can continue. It seems unjust that some villains profiled either left on their own terms or continue to have a good time.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:14 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Finally reached the end of the original run of Thrilling Adventure Hour (haven't listened to anything after, though).

I now find myself in the rare company of "people excited to see Mark Evan Jackson or Padget Brewster in anything."

I believe that the rest of that company is made up of "Mark Evan Jacksons mother" and "anyone who watched Harvey Birdman"
Marc Evan Jackson has recurring roles in Adventure Time and DuckTales. I mean, you don't SEE him, but still.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Kringle Machine

I didn't see him in this either.

He's had a million-billion minor roles in a lot of things, as it turns out. Sparks is just, by far his most prominent role.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:32 PM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
The Night Vale guys are launching I Only Listen To The Mountain Goats this week, which is going to be similar podcast with seasons focused entirely on one Mountain Goats album, with the first being about All Hail West Texas. The thing is that it's going to be in the form of interviews with John Darnielle about each song, along with other guests.
I listened to the first episode of this today and teared up at a couple points. Instant sub.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:23 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Chapo this week focuses on the glories of Steven Seagal, and on his opus "Me Want the Punani"
Old 10-21-2017, 05:38 PM
draws near!

I just finished listening to the Podcast History of our World. It's a broad, entertaining survey of history from prehistoric to Roman times.

Unfortunately it's been stalled since last year, but I really enjoyed it. Put a lot of bits I knew about ancient history in context, and the guy is a pretty fun storyteller. I just wish it was still going.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:44 AM
an eeling of Christmas

I've got to say, the last episode of Radiolab (the one entitled Father K) is absolutely a must-listen

I mean as commenters note the "How can you be a candidate for the Arab-Americans in the community and everyone else also" question is, of course, bullshit, but there's a lot to chew on here actually going on.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:04 AM
Gesundheit!

Beyond Yacht Rock is pretty hilarious and addictive. The three non-music critics clearly know more about music than they let on, given how thoroughly and effusively JD Ryznar praised Kate Bush in the new Hall of Fame episode.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:02 PM
albret einstong

I have been listening to the COUNTER/Weight arc of Friends at the Table and it is excellent. It's making me want to make fanart, and I can't even do art! Between this and Waypoint Radio, Austin Walker has dethroned the McElroys as my personal podcast king (although Jack de Quidt is for sure my podcast crush).

It's interesting comparing this to the Adventure Zone. I came to it after finishing the first arc of TAZ*, which I enjoyed despite the cheesiness, but I'm not sure I'm going to go back. Friends at the Table is much more dramatically inclined than TAZ is (although it's still often quite funny), but they're much better at it than the McElroys (particularly because there isn't the weird shift from comedy to drama that happened halfway through TAZ). I listened to the first episode of the new TAZ arc after binging on like 15 FatT episodes, and was barely able to finish it. I don't know if that's due to the new arc not being as good, or just the series in general paling in comparison, but given that I have like... 100+ hours of FatT backlog, I don't think I'm going to get back to it anytime soon.

*I tried out FatT awhile ago, but lost interest about 30 minutes into the 3-hour(!) world-building episode of the first season. This time around, I ended up skipping the entire first season, and the world-building episode of COUNTER/Weight, and it's been almost uniformly excellent since.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:34 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I didn't think anyone else around here listened to Waypoint Radio. It's quickly become one of my favourite podcasts as well. Certainly my favourite video game podcast, filling the void left by Daft Souls being on hiatus.

I tried listening to FatT once (some kind of episode intended to catch up new listeners, IIRC), but neither of my MP3 players support its format for some reason. It just kept throwing errors when I tried to play it. I was pretty bummed!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:18 AM
That bug is NUTS!

I tried listening to Waypoint on their episode after the whole NeoGAF thing went down since I knew Danielle Riendeau (whom I was familiar with from her stint at Idle Thumbs) was on there and would have good opinions about it.

I was immediately turned off since the hosts obviously weren't in the same room together. Do they ever get together to talk?
Old 11-20-2017, 09:50 AM
Dinger!

Austin, Danielle and Danica are all based in New York. Patrick's in Chicago and Rob's in Boston. I think they've maybe done one episode where they've all been in the same place, but yeah, it's a distance thing.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:03 AM
is Earnest

I listened to the first few episodes of FATT (up to where they split into 2 groups), and I just could not get into it. Maybe it's just because I didn't really get the Dungeon World rules at the time, but it felt extremely slow and boring. I feel like I should go back and give it another shot, but I haven't decided which part to listen to.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:11 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I listened to the first few episodes of FATT (up to where they split into 2 groups), and I just could not get into it. Maybe it's just because I didn't really get the Dungeon World rules at the time, but it felt extremely slow and boring. I feel like I should go back and give it another shot, but I haven't decided which part to listen to.
Did you start with COUNTER/Weight? That's the best place to jump in, unless you want to listen to them work through the kinks.

(Here's a flowchart for new listeners.)

Old 11-20-2017, 12:33 PM
is Earnest

No, I started with the actual first episode. I'll probably check out Counter Weight next. Thanks for the flowchart!
Old 11-23-2017, 12:20 PM
Sudden chomper

I've actually become a huge Friends at the Table fan over the course of the last year, too. I absolutely agree that new listeners should start with COUNTER/Weight unless they're already 100% on board with the idea of the show, because the first season takes a lot of time to really get rolling. And while there were some parts of the first season that I truly did love, C/W is just wall-to-wall great. It's legitimately some of the funniest stuff I've listened to in a long time, the world they've built is really cool, the NPCs all have amazing names and the players have really good chemistry (again, the first season is a lot rougher on that front). I'm nearing the end of C/W and very curious to see what's next.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:30 PM

You folks have any recommendations on podcasts to fall asleep to?
Old 12-08-2017, 10:47 PM
who's she

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
You folks have any recommendations on podcasts to fall asleep to?
Levar Burton Reads, if you don't mind missing the end of the story and having to figure out where you left off.

Usually for me it's either Star Wars Minute or relistening to You Look Nice Today for the hundredth time.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:51 PM

I'll have to check those out. My current go to is a podcast where British people review old wrestling pay per views, and with those I can usually remember what match I got up to.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:07 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
relistening to You Look Nice Today for the hundredth time.
there are so many other things I should be listening to

why do I keep doing this

whyyyyyyyyyyy

Tags
podcast , recommendations , whats up hot dog