The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-09-2017, 02:12 PM
beech i ho ho ho'd you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
I mean in my mind this only reinforces my point -- people who refuse to play the original games won't particularly care if Link's Awakening Redux swaps out Tail Cave for a brand new dungeon, and people familiar with the original get brand new content and can always return to the original if they want. Win win!

Also Superstar Saga is on the eShop.

Funnily enough in my experience younger people tend to be way more receptive to retrogames than my actual peers are. Teenagers love the shit out of Mario Kart 64 for some reason
It's because the instrinsic nature of a teenager is that of a dirtbag.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Random guy

I had no idea that taking a break from videogames would be so hard. Seriously. The fact that I'm at home without a job makes it even harder. (That might end soon though, fingers crossed.) And it's only been four days.

I have, however, gone back to my webcomic. Which means: Mission accomplished! Hopefully I can make this break last until Monster Hunter World comes out. I've done it in the past, so I know I can do it again, but man.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:45 PM
oh my car

Some sort of... Star Control 3?

The creators of Star Control 2 are spearheading it. I'm warming up the hype engines as we speak.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:34 PM
an eeling of Christmas

Coin Rush mode in NSMB2 is amazing, because it's basically a mode where you can play a ton of Mario levels in Super Sonic mode -- focused on collecting all the coins you can in a short period of time while choosing to be permanently invincible and maybe just a little faster than normal. My fiancee likes playing with the white tanuki suit for its own sake. I don't in the main game, because I like those sparkly stars on my save file, but having played a few rounds of Coin Rush I can see why she does.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:35 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Some sort of... Star Control 3?

The creators of Star Control 2 are spearheading it. I'm warming up the hype engines as we speak.
Ignoring the actual Star Control 3 was probably a wise move on their part
Old 10-10-2017, 09:51 AM

Oh, a spiritual successor to Star Control II would be amazing. That game rocks. I never actually finished it (like a lot of PC games), but I watched my brother do so.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:24 AM
oh my car

It's not just spiritual. It's a sequel, but this time, by the same guys.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:49 AM

Ah, geez, I should read more carefully. An actual sequel, not just that the same guys are involved (which I did catch). Sweet!
Old 10-10-2017, 01:53 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I want to believe.

But it's too early.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:00 PM
Morbid symptom

Someone stole my daft Steam review and posted it on a Facebook shmups group as their own. You're supposed to be livid when this happens, right? I can't stop laughing.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
Someone stole my daft Steam review and posted it on a Facebook shmups group as their own. You're supposed to be livid when this happens, right? I can't stop laughing.
That... that takes a certain kind of special.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
was... was it particularly funny or something?
Old 10-11-2017, 04:42 PM
Morbid symptom

I wish! Just some clunky descriptions of mechanics and general enthusiasm. Nerd shit.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:01 AM
Space dad

Chrono Cross's soundtrack is so damn good that it honestly annoys me that the game itself doesn't live up to it.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:16 AM
an eeling of Christmas

Dear God, I picked up the Activision Game Vault Vol. 1 collection from eBay and it arrived the other day. Curious about how the PC version of Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure stacked up to the other versions (I'm most familiar with the Genesis and, god, 32X versions -- the Genesis version was the one I had as a kid) I went across a long search of videos to determine all the differences between them.

The Genesis version and Sega CD versions have, unsurprisingly, the same graphics, and they're the least impressive of the bunch to modern eyes, since having to use only ~61 colors leads to heavy use of dithering. Would have looked OK on old TVs, as I can attest, since TVs would wind up blurring some of that dithering. Each stage in the Genesis version has a unique song associated with it; despite the second half of the game reusing graphics from the first, the music is quite different between the two halves. Boss music is based on the stage theme that it exists in.

The Sega CD version has a CD Audio soundtrack. The stages that share art also share musical motifs. For example, the main melody of the two mine cart stages is the same, though the second one (set on a runaway minecart, in fact) has a bit harder of a rock feel to it. While the game on Genesis is 12 stages and a final boss, with the second set of 6 stages being modified (almost palette-swapped) versions of the original stages (it's better than it sounds, honest), the Sega CD has 3 extra stages, one each of the ruin, temple, and lagoon themes. These show up in the middle of the second rotation. The extra ruin and temple are next to each other after the second lagoon, and the extra lagoon shows up after the runaway minecar level. Due to disc space, the 2nd ruin and temple have the same music as their 3rd stages, though the extra lagoon has a unique track. There's also some FMV footage that was used in one of the commercials for the game, and it looks nicer than you'd expect, though it's entirely superfluous. Boss music is different from the Genesis and mostly holds to the same-motif rule, but there is also a pause for loading before the boss, which is frustrating.

The 32X version has nicer-looking foreground art and sprites. Backgrounds are done by the Genesis and look identical, because they are the same art. The drum samples seem to be missing in the ROM I've played (I once held a box of the game in a Best Buy but I've never played a legit copy of it, so it may be a bad dump -- it may also be a bad game). The 3 extra levels from the Sega CD version are there too. Looks nice in still frames but actually the foreground is drawn kinda sluggishly because it's being done by the 32X which had no dedicated graphics hardware or VRAM of any kind, just a hunk of memory that could be used as a framebuffer; in a way, it's a wonder it runs as well as it does. Also the 3 extra stages all have the same music as the 2nd set of stages with the corresponding theme.

Also, all 3 of these versions support the 6-button controller, which is good, because otherwise you have to tap start to switch projectile weapons -- each of the 3 projectiles is mapped to one of X, Y, and Z (it's not configurable though, and I forget off the top of my head which is which).

The SNES version has a lot of redrawn art, different from the redrawn art seen in the 32X version. A lot of backgrounds are completely different from other versions, and the colors have been adjusted to be a bit gloomier with more dark teals and purples. Music is arranged to resemble the Sega CD audio, but it obviously doesn't sound as nice. The redrawn art isn't to my taste, but others may disagree. Does not have the bonus stages from SCD/32X versions. Again, having 6 buttons means each weapon has a specific button associated with it. Again, don't know off the top of my head which is which. A bit more frustrating, the SNES version is missing a few animations from the other versions. I saw in a similar summary on GiantBomb that mentioned the aspect ratio for the SNES version is a bit off since the SNES's most common display resolutions didn't use square pixels, which is another thing worth noting -- the pixel art, though uniquely redrawn, was not rescaled to reflect the non-square shape, which isn't something footage taken off emulators will tend to preserve. The different backgrounds also don't seem to have, say, rasterized parallax effects and thus can appear a tad more static in some cases.

The Jaguar version is a more successful attempt to improve on the visuals of the Genesis. Of course, the Jaguar isn't much different from a 32X under the hood, but it has actual graphics hardware and thus looks a lot smoother. Art is high-color, and the backgrounds have more detail than the Genesis/Sega CD/32X versions, though most footage makes it appear a bit darker than those versions. Music is, oddly enough, based on the Genesis version, but with samples instead of FM synth voices (understandably), though the second lagoon stage seems to have a totally unique track. The 3 extra stages again are not part of the game, which makes it a bit of a toss-up whether this totally supercedes the 32X version. Not sure what the control scheme is like, especially given the weirdness of the Jaguar controller. I've never played or seen a real-life copy of this version of the game. GiantBomb also says this version resembles the 32X also in that it runs at a mere 30 FPS. Since most footage of all these games is at 30 FPS on youtube and I've never played this version, I have to take their word on this.

PC version, though? Excellent. It's probably the definitive version of the game. Since it's on a disc it has all the CD audio from the Sega CD version, and since the PC can do 256 colors it looks as nice as the 32X or Jaguar versions -- the graphics look almost identical to the Jaguar version to my eye, but might be a bit brighter than on that version. Note that while this, the Jaguar, and 32X versions have all been graphically improved the same way -- the style is closer to the Genesis version than the SNES one -- the Jaguar and PC have some slight differences in color choice over the 32X version. It's pretty minor though. A PC that can run the game that has a faster-than-1x CD drive will have lower loading times between stages than the Sega CD version. The bonus stages are included. The boss music exists on the CD, but is not used; this is disappointing on first consideration but balanced out by the fact that the bosses don't have the awful loading before like in the Sega CD version. And yes, it runs smoother than the scant amount of footage this version has on youtube would suggest. 60 FPS to my eye, which I can say from having played some of it tonight.

The biggest downside about the PC version is that it's not really future-proof. I haven't tried every possible option to try to get it working (i.e., messing around with the compatibility options, admin mode, etc.) but I wasn't able to on my modern laptop. Runs fine on my recently-acquired Gateway Solo 2500 though. Footage may appear kinda choppy on youtube, but rest assured that it runs quite smoothly overall. (Second biggest downside is that you don't have a 6-button configuration like some of the other versions and have to use
a separate button to toggle weapons. Fairly minor issue, especially since it's not mapped to the pause button.)

Considering I got the PC version for 8 bucks in a compliation that includes the PC (Windows) version of Earthworm Jim (also the definitive version of that game), that's kind of surprising. FWIW, loose copies of the SNES and Genesis version also go for about that amount. Heck, SNES version might be second-best to get for accessibility and compatibility though, since it looks and sounds good and doesn't take a lot of fiddling to get working (and runs just fine in an emulator), but if you're going the emulation route you may want to try the Jaguar version (which I honestly don't know the first thing about). In the article I mentioned above, GiantBomb actually recommends the Sega CD version, which isn't hard to get running on emulation either, can be played off the original disc, and can be burnt to backups that will still play on the original hardware. Depends on whether you'd like the more fluid animation, preserved aspect ratio, better music, and extra stages over the wider range of colors and minimal load times. (Note the Sega CD version actually isn't that much more expensive complete than the loose Gen/SNES cartridge versions on eBay right now.)

Just for the record, a quick Wikipedia check informs me that the Genesis, Sega CD, and SNES versions were all probably close to contemporary coming out in 1994 (Gen. and SCD don't have a specific month but I'd assume maybe just a bit before the SNES version which is dated in November). The Windows version is next in August '95, probably (like Earthworm Jim's Windows port, using the same engine) adapted from the Sega CD version and redrawn. The 32X port came out a month later (using some of the same art from the PC version since it already existed), and then the Jaguar version a month after that (definitely using the art from the PC version) -- which makes the Jaguar's lack of bonus levels all the more confusing.

Last edited by muteKi; 10-12-2017 at 01:49 AM. Reason: What GBA version? :P
Old 10-12-2017, 05:07 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
Chrono Cross's soundtrack is so damn good that it honestly annoys me that the game itself doesn't live up to it.
Dunno - 1) the OST is so good I have trouble coming up with a game that can live up to it & 2) I really, really like the game itself - I think it is one of the best in the PSX generation, flaws and all.

Frankly, I think the game would be better received if it didn't have that 'Chrono' in the title.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:37 AM
Fifth Business

There's a part in Uncharted: The Lost Legacy where your partner Nadine is supposed to help you push a cart. And despite Nadine's scripting working perfectly the whole rest of the game, in this specific moment she glitched out, and in a particularly alarming way, at least once I noticed her face.

It reminds me of when the townsfolk malfunction in Westworld.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:17 AM
It's all good, man

Love it
Old 10-12-2017, 12:09 PM
Come, noble knights!

So I finally gave The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited a shot. There's been some quality of life changes to make it a li'l more Elder Scrolls-y, the base game's only $20 digitally, and I want to see if it clicks before buying the Morrowind expansion, so what the hey?

This is certainly an MMORPG wearing an Elder Scrolls skin. You have the standard MMORPG button assigned powers, you can loot some but not all things, there's level-locked gear and a bazillion different crafting stations, you have player guilds and pets and mount, stuff like that.

Not that I have a problem with that, it's just after dozens of hours with Oblivion and hundreds (Thousands?) of hours of Skyrim the differences are taking a li'l getting used to. Anyway, not gonna make a thread for it (not sure there's a big enough crowd for that), but any PS4* TTers wanna go on an adventure or form a guild seek out Puwexil the Argonian Nightblade in Bleakrock.

P.S. I'm Ebonhart Pact, least until I can afford the Explorer's Pack.

P.P.S. Looks like some of Fallout 4's changes originated here. Got a couple of triangle charts for face and body customization and third person movement's similar as well.

P.P.P.S. Some things change, while others stay the same. Case in Point: A fair number of the Nords in Bleakrock have Michael Gough's "Orson Welles Impersonator" voice, just like the Alvors and Ralofs and Balgruufs and (too many named and unnamed Nords to count) of Skyrim.

* Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the ESO servers are split up by platform? Like, PS4 and Xbone and PC have their own servers.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Curious Young Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Dunno - 1) the OST is so good I have trouble coming up with a game that can live up to it & 2) I really, really like the game itself - I think it is one of the best in the PSX generation, flaws and all.
Yeah, agreed on both points. CC's soundtrack is one of those rare few that makes good listening on youtube etc without ever having played the game, and the game itself is worth seeking out for those who wished there had been more FFs like 7-9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Frankly, I think the game would be better received if it didn't have that 'Chrono' in the title.
And FF12 might have been better received if it was called Vagrant Legend!
Old 10-12-2017, 09:15 PM
All are Santa Saturn

I've seen this video on YouTube listed a few times but never clicked it. So I decided to tonight and, yes, it is fantastic.

But the best piece of it, to me anyway, is the Super Mario World title screen that clearly displays "Super Mario Bros. 4" as well.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:50 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
CC's soundtrack is one of those rare few that makes good listening on youtube etc without ever having played the game, and the game itself is worth seeking out for those who wished there had been more FFs like 7-9.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I loved Chrono Cross's take on a tropical setting a whole lot more than Final Fantasy X's. And while nearly everything relating to the plot may be half-baked, this is a game where I can have a skeleton jester and and a cartoon alien who has his own Tokusatsu-style mecha in the same party* so it must be doing something very right.

As much as I wish Final Fantasy VIII would hit mobile and PS4, Chrono Cross is the game I want more.

* And in New Game Plus I can swap out Serge in battles for a more interesting character, like the luchador priest or the plant monster doll or the Japanese rock star or the old crone who can turn into almost every monster in the game.

Quote:
And FF12 might have been better received if it was called Vagrant Legend!
If being called Final Fantasy XII didn't help the game's initial reception, I doubt being called something else would've help. Probably never would've seen the game again if it didn't have the FF brand on it.

I certainly get why it's divisive, though. Square built its house on traditional jRPGs with turn-based Active Time Battle combat, and ever since Sakaguchi left and Square and Enix became one and the same, the series in general has become far less safe and far more experimental.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:28 PM
BAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
I've seen this video on YouTube listed a few times but never clicked it. So I decided to tonight and, yes, it is fantastic.

But the best piece of it, to me anyway, is the Super Mario World title screen that clearly displays "Super Mario Bros. 4" as well.

That video is awesome and should be embedded in every SNES Classic.

And I am still wowed by the Kent Shocknek SuperFX to this day.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 PM
an eeling of Christmas

ALSO, I kinda take back what I at least implied if not said outright last night, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure is actually quite easy to get working on PC. Just copy the game files off the CD-ROM, replace a DLL, and set it to run in Win 95 compatibility mode.

The description for this video has the relevant links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Tv0lTuDQY
Old 10-13-2017, 08:34 PM
an eeling of Christmas

FUCK IT DOUBLE POSTING CUZ IT'S FRIDAY AND I DON'T GIVE A FUCK

CHECK IT OUT
THIS GAME IS CALLED LASER DOLPHIN
IT'S LIKE ECCO BUT WITH GUNS AND MISSILES AND STUFF
https://www.dingogames.com/dolphin/
Old 10-14-2017, 12:44 AM
Curious Young Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
If being called Final Fantasy XII didn't help the game's initial reception, I doubt being called something else would've help. Probably never would've seen the game again if it didn't have the FF brand on it.

I certainly get why it's divisive, though. Square built its house on traditional jRPGs with turn-based Active Time Battle combat, and ever since Sakaguchi left and Square and Enix became one and the same, the series in general has become far less safe and far more experimental.
I reckon that the FF name helped its sales but hurt its reception. People went in expecting something like FFX, if not like FF4-9. They were especially itching for such a game after so many years with only X2 (disliked for content more than form) and 11 (at a time when most people didn't play MMOs and then post-WoW when too few people played non-WoW MMOs). Starved of their FF experience they got excited for 12 and got an offline MMO with a focus on long dungeons that were played for you and a plot that felt unfinished and never really scaled up to the epic proportions of previous games.

As a more obvious direct successor to the Ivalice games it may not have been so misunderstood and may not have disappointed so many people - though yeah, lacking the mainline FF number would certainly have meant less people played it.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:17 AM
Come, noble knights!

Oh yeah, I'm sure a lot of different expectations were heaped on the game by the fans. Like "FF10 tried a more different turn-based RPG with a giant tunnel instead of a world map, and they called this MMO spinoff thing FF11, but the REAL Final Fantasy sequel should bring back some level of normalcy instead of being some Weird Experimental Thing." But of course, it ended up being another Weird Experimental Thing and now WET is the new normal for modern Final Fantasy.

Oh well, they foreshadowed making the future WET back when FF8 had players equip spells instead of gear and threw the traditional Blue Windows White Borders in the rubbish bin in favor of grey slabs.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:26 AM
Curious Young Gent

Yeah, people were more comfortable with mixing up ability/job/magic systems than they were actual gameplay or game structure. So it's ok for Chrono Criss to have its strange magic or for FF8 to have magic as stat boosts, but no world map or towns means FF13 has gone *too far*.

Squeenix has always been experimental, I guess, but the more extreme ones were at one point reserved for their side titles like PE and Live A Live. I suspect we may now see FF settle back into a comfort zone for a while like it did after 4, with KH/15-ish battles and large connected worlds.

In the meantime I'm waiting for all these NES/SNES nostalgia RPGs to give way to PS1 nostalgia ones. Lost Odyssey and Bravely came close, Type-0 and Blue Dragon made the effort but missed the mark.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:30 AM
hidden in snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
ALSO, I kinda take back what I at least implied if not said outright last night, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure is actually quite easy to get working on PC. Just copy the game files off the CD-ROM, replace a DLL, and set it to run in Win 95 compatibility mode.

The description for this video has the relevant links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Tv0lTuDQY
muteKi, thank you for the detailed breakdown of all the different versions. I liked the deep dive into a game I only read about in GamePro back in the day.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:04 AM
poisonous thread snake

Recent posts on Mason Lindroth's tumblr might indicate he's working on a Hylics sequel.

Tags
all the games , news , not worth its own thread , snippets , thread shortage