The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-12-2017, 12:37 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
If they do a GBA Classic, please, please let it have the original form factor but with a backlight
I'm pretty sure a backlight is a given in this day and age. Nintendo learned the importance of being able to see the screen back in the Game Boy Advance era. Not to mention learning they could release the same system again but with a more different design or features and people will buy it, for better or worse.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:39 PM
Life depends on change

Yeah, I'd be surprised if it didn't have a backlight. I'm still bummed because I never got one of those Afterburner kits/mods, because as nice as the SP was, the original form factor was way better.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:25 PM
TARANTUL

I don't know that we can really expect a better list that Kishi's (once you add Mega Man V).

Hardware and form factor would be the really hard thing to get right. I want something large enough to be comfortable in my hands, but small and durable enough to fit in my pocket unobtrusively (the original GB only hits one of those, honestly only the DS really ever got both).

Also I want the emulator with an option to do it's best imitation of the crappy passive LCD screen's ghosting. Just because.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Video Monster

How many slots would it have? 20?

Then Catrap. All 20 slots.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:43 PM

I think you bump back up to 30 for the GB.

That's one heck of a lineup Kishi's got there.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Curious Young Gent

Yeah the GB has me drawing blanks on stuff that's aged well or was even very good to begin with. Tetris, Pokemon, Ghost Babel, FFL3, FFA, Link's Awakening, Survival Kids, Wario Land... and I guess some of those console downgrades like Mega Man, Metroid, Castlevania, and Mario. Mario Golf GBC was good too, or something?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:15 PM
Nothing is more powerful

I can't wait to pay $80 for a 2DS that's literally been sliced in half. I'd sincerely be willing to pay that much for Ghost Babel and Dragon Quest I-III on Virtual Console.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I'm pretty sure a backlight is a given in this day and age. Nintendo learned the importance of being able to see the screen back in the Game Boy Advance era. Not to mention learning they could release the same system again but with a more different design or features and people will buy it, for better or worse.
Neither that new nor particularly Nintendo specific

Sorry you've hit upon a personal bugbear of mine

Shit is marketing 101, every company does this to keep consoles relevant and in the news, and they all do it in roughly equal measure, but Nintendo handhelds get treated as particularly egregious because... I dunno people can't resist color variants (glances at incredibly limited production hot pink PS2)
Old 10-13-2017, 12:47 AM
Come, noble knights!

I'm well aware that the Game Boy Advance SP wasn't the first Nintendo handheld to have a built-in light, and that there were many other non-Nintendo handhelds with lighting. But the Game Boy Advance era was when built-in lighting (also rechargeable batteries) became standard for Nintendo handhelds, instead of just a gimmick they'd whip out to bolster dropping handheld sales.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:34 AM
Curious Young Gent

I think fanboymaster's issue was not with the backlight comment but with the "nintendo release multiple versions of the same system" comment.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:31 AM
That bug is NUTS!

I wonder if Nintendo will view Gameboy and Gameboy Color as distinct enough platforms for this device to focus solely on GB games alone?

I can see the business reasons for it, even if the nostalgic video game nerd in me doesn't like the idea. It would allow them to eventually release a Gameboy Color Classic and keep a tighter focus on those early GB games. Plus, less confusion on users' parts on why some games are in color and some are in grayscale.

Last edited by ThornGhost; 10-13-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:08 AM
All are Santa Saturn

There's a market for a Game Boy Classic I'm sure but I wonder about the size of it. I had my own gray brick when I was a kid, and a purple GB Color shortly after it released - the first gift my wife, then-girlfriend, ever gave to me. But I have almost no real nostalgia for gray-brick Game Boy. Link's Awakening is the only game that comes to mind that I'd spend any real time with.

If a GB Classic gets announced, it's firmly in the I'll-Buy-One-If-I-See-One camp. I'm not stalking the Internet and brick-and-mortars to find one, like I did with the other Classics.*

*Unless it has Game Boy Advance games. That's a different skillet of shit.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:15 AM
New Video World is out!

Gimme one with DK 94 and Kirby Pinball and anything else is just gravy really
Old 10-13-2017, 03:32 PM
TARANTUL

Meanwhile I have more nostalgia for the original brick than any other gaming system I've ever owned, and I never even had that many games for it.

Just give me Final Fantasy Adventure, Legend II and III, DK94 and Super Mario Land, Kirby and Metroid II and anything else is gravy.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:25 PM
Come, noble knights!

If the system has some form of link-up (and if the system has Pokémon it'd be stupid for it not to have that) it'd be nice to see Wario Blast again. I know it's just Bomberman GB with Wario assets hacked in, and that there's far better options on portable and non-portable alike, but I still love that this is a thing that happened and it'd give it some Bomberman representation. And I wouldn't mind it happening again in a newer, better game. (Hint hint, Super Bomberman R DLC team.)

Game & Watch Gallery would also be great. Oil Panic may be a be a bit of a dud (IMO), but Fire, Manhole, and Octopus are all excellent classic time killers. And the remixes have some pretty great tunes, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
I think fanboymaster's issue was not with the backlight comment but with the "nintendo release multiple versions of the same system" comment.
Well that's not new either but it sure seems like the gap between system revisions got a whole lot smaller around the Game Boy Advance era. There was like five to six years between the classic and Pocket but barely even two between the GBA and SP, and about 2 & 1/2 between the SP and the Micro (and backlit SP).

Come the 3DS there's like half a dozen different versions of the handheld. Admittedly some play and do things that the others don't, but the difference between Old 3DS and New 3DS isn't as up front to the uneducated eye as Color and Not Color was.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:31 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I love me some Game and Watch Gallery. The GBA one is amaaaazing. So many great games! So many weird and stupid ones!
Old 10-13-2017, 06:06 PM
Bald Gendou

I tweeted this back when the SNES was announced, but I might as well list it here officially for posterity.

I think they should combine all GB lines (GB, GBC, GBA) and split them into 2 editions, Pokemon style (with a diff Pokemon per edition). Why? Because this encapsulates the GB experience most people have, which is Pokemon. I honestly don't think there are enough good games (that meet the general requirements of a "Classic" console) for the GB or GB Color AND I don't know how you'd rectify the Pokemon question any other way.

I'm approaching this as a realistic list, and not "Tomm's personal wish list" as there are many games that just wouldn't be possible (Boktai, Tetris).

Also I don't play Pokemon very much so if there is a more definitive Pokemon set than I chose, feel free to sub those in. (or FZero)

EDIT: I reformatted this post as an image so you can kind of see what I was calling "equivilent" games by comparing the two lists.

Last edited by Tomm Guycot; 10-13-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:26 PM

An interesting idea, I admit I think they'd get much more nostalgia cache with original Red and Blue rather than the remakes, and thus the two are probably the better fit for this kind of product. I feel like Pokemon defined the idea around you'd get one set your friends would get another and you'd fill in each other's gaps which seems... an unlikely way for these to function so I'm unsure of the viability here, but an emphasis on sharing between classics might fit.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:34 PM
TARANTUL

I don't see how you do Pokemon without hitting Red/Blue and Gold/Silver on GB/GBC.

I also don't see how you put Final Fantasy Legend and Final Fantasy Advance V onto the same hardware, I think GB + GBC really needs to be its own thing from the GBA.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:42 PM
Come, noble knights!

I certainly wouldn't call that list realistic but still, I approve of any general Game Boy line list that has Survival Kids and Dragon Warrior III on it. The former did survival before survival was cool and the latter was a technical marvel for the handheld as well as being arguably the best Dragon Quest.

Ghost Babel is also great and should be available in modern ways. The level-based setup was a bit odd for the time (this was before the Metal Gear Solid sequels and PSP games, back when Metal Gear could more or less be summed up as Sneaky Zelda and you wouldn't be too far off the mark), but that li'l alternate universe game nailed the Metal Gear spirit.

Anyway, I wouldn't completely write out Tetris. The Game Boy game may have lasted all of a year before it and some other Tetris games left the service, but I'd bet Nintendo would be likely to temporarily renew the deal for the Game Boy Classic's print run. I mean c'mon, that li'l game IS the Game Boy to a lot of people, that one killer app that came packaged with the original handheld print runs.

It even got a Game Boy Color follow-up, though that one's less beloved 'cuz it changed everything but the gameplay.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:52 PM
Bald Gendou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Anyway, I wouldn't completely write out Tetris. The Game Boy game may have lasted all of a year before it and some other Tetris games left the service, but I'd bet Nintendo would be likely to temporarily renew the deal for the Game Boy Classic's print run. I mean c'mon, that li'l game IS the Game Boy to a lot of people, that one killer app that came packaged with the original handheld print runs.

It even got a Game Boy Color follow-up, though that one's less beloved 'cuz it changed everything but the gameplay.
If Nintendo got Tetris then add "Tetris" to one and "Tetris DX" to the other and strike your least favorite pairing. (Or Yoshi's Cookie, which I had but cut)

btw my thinking w/ "realistic" included Nintendo trying to find pairs for its must haves to match the other system. ie. you gotta have a Harvest Moon, there were 5 to consider! So what's a good match? Survival Kids.

etc.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:20 PM
Bald Gendou

Scrap my entire list. I somehow forgot Gargoyle's Quest
Old 10-13-2017, 10:29 PM
Come, noble knights!

Nah, just replace one of the Double Dragons with it. Green Team could use some more demons.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:31 PM
Curious Young Gent

I suspect what makes those lists unlikely is that they are definitive rather than nostalgia pandering. Nintendo will more likely wanna make an OG looking gameboy that maybe has color in there too and which plays the older games, then later release a GBA one separately.

Also Ninty is mostly committed to its "one representative game per franchise" deal rather than "the best games even if they're from the same franchise".
Old 10-14-2017, 12:59 AM
Bald Gendou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
I suspect what makes those lists unlikely is that they are definitive rather than nostalgia pandering. Nintendo will more likely wanna make an OG looking gameboy that maybe has color in there too and which plays the older games, then later release a GBA one separately.

Also Ninty is mostly committed to its "one representative game per franchise" deal rather than "the best games even if they're from the same franchise".
For third parties I included one series entry per gen. For first party I included every game, as N has for previous classic consoles.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:29 AM
Curious Young Gent

Ah, I misremembered the NES selection as leaving off Super Mario Bros 2 and Zelda 2. That makes sense!

Still, 4 FF-branded titles (even if they aren't FFs technically) and no Golden Sun 2 (which is second party? and more of a second part than a sequel) may be pushing it into more ideal than the box-ticking they usually go for. Also not enough sports titles like Wave Race and Mario Tennis/Golf, perhaps.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:22 AM

I was trying to rank every Gameboy game that had the same title as a console game (whether the levels and so on were original or not) but couldn't find any good resources. Even though taking the top 20 such games would be a novelty lineup there is something authentically Gameboy about those games.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:41 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

I would buy the green one. Really fun groupings!

Also I'd want Alleyway and Tennis because I spent so much time on those dang games.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:13 PM
Life depends on change

Every Game Boy lineup people have posted here are better than the lineup Nintendo put in the actual NES Classic, don't @ me
Old 10-14-2017, 07:23 PM
Curious Young Gent

That was my feeling. Tomm put together an amazingly killer set of lists, whereas Nintendo so far has mostly been by-the-numbers lists with lots of forgettable if "classic" games present while incredible ones are left off. But I guess they're not going for Best Games but just a selection that's most likely to trigger nostalgia, so they gotta cover many based rather than double-down on genres the console did well in.

Tags
game boy , nintendo