The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-28-2017, 03:43 AM
Chief Servbot

Default Join the Nintendo Golf Club today! (Golf Story)

For those who are interested, Golf Story is out today:

I don't think any full reviews are out yet, but the hands-on impressions I have been seeing are very positive.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:12 PM
so exciting!

Me, a person who hates golf: *downloads Golf Story for the Nintendo Switch because my love of cutesy pixels transcends my hatred of golf*
Old 09-28-2017, 03:35 PM
Love and Peace

Everybody hates golf. But everybody also loves the story modes in the Mario Golf and Mario Tennis games, which Golf Story appears to essentially be.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:37 PM
an eeling of Christmas

....I like golf :<
Old 09-28-2017, 03:42 PM
Love and Peace

Everybody who doesn't like drinking at noon while driving a golf cart hates golf.

Kidding aside, I know that there are people who legitimately enjoy golf, and enjoy it while having a responsible and healthy relationship with alcohol.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:53 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
Everybody who doesn't like drinking at noon while driving a golf cart hates golf.

Kidding aside, I know that there are people who legitimately enjoy golf, and enjoy it while having a responsible and healthy relationship with alcohol.
I like golf and drinking at noon, but not necessarily at the same time. My short game is awful enough, thank you very much.

I think steamworld gets next dibs but I'll definitely be downloading this.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:58 PM
?!

I like golf and love golf games. I know everyone has their own tastes, but I have to say, golf seems like an odd thing to hate. I could see being indifferent maybe, but hating it?

Golf Story is cute and fun so far. The one weird specific gripe I have is that the game rumbles the controller way too much. It rumbles at least once per text box, often two or three times. For a game that's pretty chatty, it's kind of annoying. After about ten minutes, I disabled rumble completely, which might be the first time I've done that in a game ever.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:58 PM
Good Bee

I like hearing Griffin McElroy say "ball chess" and "the king's game" over and over, does that count?

I also love Golf Story's combination of cutesy pixel art and high res text and UI elements. This seems like the best of both worlds; I love the Stardew Valley look as much as the next guy, but have no fondness for unnecessarily pixely fonts/UI elements. The high res text and UI of Golf Story really looks fantastic in contrast with the low res pixel art, and I hope (and expect) to see this technique used a lot more in the future.

(The download took 45 minutes so I wasn't able to play it much before leaving for work. I don't care about golf, but am 100% on board for this game.)
Old 09-28-2017, 07:10 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Golf Story is downloading now... I'm killing time here waiting for it to finish!
I spent a couple of hours playing this, and it's super fun! I love how you can get rewards for just poking around the edges and having fun, like hitting the washing machines in the driving range or popping the balloons floating in the water. I even found some kind of weird rainbow space hole that gave me a bonus for hitting a ball into it? Oh, and it's really fun how you can just, like, tee up whereever and even just huck golf balls at peoples' heads and get a reaction out of them. Really charming stuff. I think I just polished off the first area/course, and was able to do everything except make the long drive from the pro tee in the left area and buy the ridiculously expensive putter in the mini-golf clubhouse. Presumably I'll have to come back later for both of those. That being said, I almost gave up on finding the red bandanna for that one guy before it finally clicked what the game wanted me to do.

Last edited by JBear; 09-29-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:21 AM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Golf Story is rough around the edges, but is a godsend for someone like me who obsessively played the GBC/GBA Mario Golf games.

I sat down to play about 30 minutes last night and ended up playing for almost four hours. It definitely seems on the breezy side so far, but it's charming and fun enough that it doesn't bother me.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:45 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Sampson View Post
Golf Story is rough around the edges, but is a godsend for someone like me who obsessively played the GBC/GBA Mario Golf games.
I'm genuinely curious what you find rough. Unless this is a golf joke? Personally, I find the edges to be super smooth. It reminds me of Stardew Valley not just aesthetically, but in the way that there's love clearly oozing out of every bit. In fact, thinking on it, I'd call Stardew rougher around than edges than this, what with that janky way that you sometimes target the wrong squares in that game, and it was one of my favourite games of last year.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:21 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Holy shit, this game (Golf Story) takes a turn.

Undead eradicated: 0 of 6
Old 09-30-2017, 09:35 AM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Quote:
I'm genuinely curious what you find rough. Unless this is a golf joke? Personally, I find the edges to be super smooth. It reminds me of Stardew Valley not just aesthetically, but in the way that there's love clearly oozing out of every bit. In fact, thinking on it, I'd call Stardew rougher around than edges than this, what with that janky way that you sometimes target the wrong squares in that game, and it was one of my favourite games of last year.
Itís nothing design-wise. Iíve just hit some bugs here and there and some janky transitions and things like that. I wanna super-reiterate so I donít send the wrong message: even when I hit something like a bug where I got stuck and had to restart it didnít diminish my enjoyment one bit.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:43 AM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

So, the end of the prologue to Golf Story: are Dad's text boxes supposed to be off the top of the screen so you can't read them or did my copy glitch? It happened both on my TV and on the Switch screen.

Also, I absolutely cannot figure out disc golf. Is there any way I can practice outside of the challenge itself?
Old 09-30-2017, 10:02 AM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Also, I absolutely cannot figure out disc golf. Is there any way I can practice outside of the challenge itself?
I donít think there is. Maybe when you unlock the third club (where thereís a designated disc golf area), but even then it might still be only in challenges.

There was one trick that took me several tries to figure out but helped me a lot once I did: When the frisbee, I mean disc, is airborne, left and right control it relative to the direction it was thrown and up and down do nothing. I might just be an idiot for taking a while to figure that out, but I dunno.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:05 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Man, the dialogue in this game:

"The plan is going great so far. No one knows that I'm a greenskeeper."

"Are you sure? You brought several wheelbarrows..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I absolutely cannot figure out disc golf. Is there any way I can practice outside of the challenge itself?
I don't know of any way to practice back then, but the thing with disc golf is that you steer the disc by pressing left and right to arc it, and it will move left or right with respect to the direction you were facing when you threw it. So, in the first disc challenge, you're facing left IIRC, so pressing left will steer it down and pressing right will steer it up.

ETA: BAH, NINJA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Sampson View Post
I donít think there is. Maybe when you unlock the third club (where thereís a designated disc golf area), but even then it might still be only in challenges.
Yeah, I just did that disc course, and your throw ball button acts as a throw disc button in there for practice purposes. And you'll need it because that disc course is brutal.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Man, the dialogue in this game:
"Ye sure seem to know a lot about 'dis. Are ye a groundskeeper?"

"NO! I'm... a banker."

"! Me mum's a banker!"

"No she's not! You're a liar!"

"Aye, ye got me. Ye've got a banker's eye for mis-truths."
Old 09-30-2017, 11:56 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Sorry for triple post, but I have an IMPORTANT GOLF STORY ANNOUNCEMENT.

Note that using the "approach shot" (holding the bumper) with a putter will actually putt much harder, unlike every other club, where it shortens the distance by roughly 50%. This is not only useful, but is 100% required for story progression in the 3rd area, and the game never communicated this to me, so I was just stuck for about an hour thinking that I'd hit a game-breaking bug of some sort before finally figuring it out. >_< Don't make the same mistake I did!

I kind of wish I'd started a dedicated thread for this game at this point. I don't suppose some kind mod (or an unkind one; I'm not picky) could split off all of the Golf Story posts so far (starting on the previous page; easily at least a dozen of them at this point) in this thread into a new one?

Possible thread titles...

Golf Story: Join the Nintendo Golf Club today!
This is my Golf Story
Golf Story uses RPG. It's super effective!
Battling manic moles, angry birds, and armies of the undead! Talking about Golf Story?
Golf Story: XP goes up, Stroke counts go down
Old 09-30-2017, 12:13 PM
I. Love. It.

I vote for the last one.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:39 PM
disguised king of surfing

my vote is for number 2
Old 10-01-2017, 07:34 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I literally cannot put this down. I haven't had this much fun with a golf game since the original Golf for Game Boy. I'm taking my Switch out with me this afternoon, and I never take my portables out of the house!

The game is really starting to show its teeth lately. Some of the optional challenges really require me to bring my A-game.

I can't decide who my favourite character is at this point. The coach and the greenskeeper are both great, but that angry girl who keeps competing with you keeps getting better.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:33 AM
#deadfish2017

I've played through scouting about at Lurker Valley and about to start the competition. Some thoughts:

- It's great. If you have a Switch this seems like a no-brainer.

- Surprisingly meaty. I like how you have lots of opportunity to explore and just do things, quests or whatever, hits some balls from anywhere you know, and that the matches themselves are punctuation.

- I like how, at least here in the beginning, the game is easy. Your dude is supposed to be good at golf, and between your hapless opponents and the options you have available, the game conveys that feeling. It almost feels like you're too strong. Precision mode is a lifesaver, letting you determine exactly how to place your shots, and the ability to ignore wind and slow down the swing-bar with easily replenished Focus gives you a hell of an edge. That said, I've never found "realistic" golf games fun. They're far too punishing and unfun to even develop the skills you need to succeed. I'd rather an easy game that feels good rather than a challenging one that doesn't.

- Sidebar Games is apparently a developer out of Australia, and I like how they chose not to keep the cultural identify. "Mates" abound and there's lots of unique slang. Lurker Valley is dinosaur themed, and its songs are full of didgeridoo. Gives the game a unique flavor, even among other Boundlikes.

- I like how allocating stats is a trade-off between distance and precision. It's nice to hit far, but I get the feeling that controlling the ball is going to pay off more in the long run. Right now I'm trying to balance the two, but I wonder if it's possible to min-max.

- This course is run by cavemen.

- The locked building in Wellworn Mini-Golf was all around brilliant. Legit funny and a great reward for solving the puzzle to get in.

- The devs did a great job brainstorming up varied and unique ways to take the core-gameplay and expand on it. I think my favorite quests so far have been completing a hole by only hitting into the deep rough, and digging for buried treasure.

- And more. What a great and fun little RPG. It's exactly what I hopped it would be from that first trailer. I can't find any details about Sidebar. This is their first published game, but it shows a lot of experience. They really... hit a... hole-in

no this joke is too tied. Sorry.

sorry
Old 10-01-2017, 08:49 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
the ability to ignore wind and slow down the swing-bar with easily replenished Focus gives you a hell of an edge.
...Come again?

Have I... have I been missing a core mechanic? I'm mid-way through the 4th area/course (the beach), and that sounds like a super useful thing!
Old 10-01-2017, 08:55 AM
#deadfish2017

Yes you idiot way to golf you fool

If you hit up on the control pad you'll switch to "Focus" mode. This will ignore wind (maybe slope too?) and slow down the swing-meter. It uses up 1/3 of your Focus bar, which will slowly replenish with each regular swing you make.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:06 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
I literally cannot put this down. I haven't had this much fun with a golf game since the original Golf for Game Boy. I'm taking my Switch out with me this afternoon, and I never take my portables out of the house!

The game is really starting to show its teeth lately. Some of the optional challenges really require me to bring my A-game.

I can't decide who my favourite character is at this point. The coach and the greenskeeper are both great, but that angry girl who keeps competing with you keeps getting better.
As someone who loves golf and was really looking forward to this game, I'm really happy you guys like it this much!

Last edited by Gerad; 10-01-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Yes you idiot way to golf you fool

If you hit up on the control pad you'll switch to "Focus" mode. This will ignore wind (maybe slope too?) and slow down the swing-meter. It uses up 1/3 of your Focus bar, which will slowly replenish with each regular swing you make.
This feels like a mechanic that the game should have probably mentioned to me at some point! Anyway, half the fun is accounting for wind and such so... enh.

Anyway, more great dialogue:

"We don't have any prizes left. You won everything. I hope nobody else likes golf."
Old 10-01-2017, 09:55 AM
#deadfish2017

It does, somewhere during your first run through Wellworn. I don't know if it specifically says "press up to activate" tho.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:35 AM
Nonplussed

I don't recall hearing anything about this and then started hearing everything about this. I picked it up last night, although I'm out of town and don't have my switch. I go home tonight, though, so I expect fun times soon.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:05 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
I don't recall hearing anything about this and then started hearing everything about this. I picked it up last night, although I'm out of town and don't have my switch. I go home tonight, though, so I expect fun times soon.
It was announced a long time ago during a Direct and everyone was like "hey that looks really neat!" And then it literally disappeared for several months and had basically no promotion until like three days before it came out when Nintendo/the development studio were like "oh ya this comes out in a couple of days"
Old 10-01-2017, 08:57 PM
Chief Servbot

The developers didn't even return journalists' emails. The word of mouth on this vs. actual promotion has been insane.

Also this game is really good.

Tags
fore play , galf , kiss that egg , lara + player otp , sucked in , the king's game