The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 09-26-2017, 07:15 PM
I have a Plan

Book 9: The Secret goes back to Cassie for the usual rotation, and is one of the first self-contained episodic books in the series, where you can skip this one and miss out on basically nothing. Now that we've laid out most of the elements of the series, we have room for a lot of these books, and we're going to get a LOT of these.

Today's plan is to foil a logging operation by the Yeerks. The goal of Dapsen Logging Company is to both find the Andalite bandits' feeding grounds and win a bet that they could use a Yeerk curse word as a company name, but only Cassie is horrified by the needless destruction of an entire forest ecosystem as collateral damage. Something something Cassie is the only true peaceful and loving soul. Only problem is that they have a forcefield around the main building, so they can't just elephant it. They try, but get the perimeter of the logging camp shot up. More on that later.

The new plan is to morph termites to sneak under the force field, get into the building, and try to find out if the Yeerks have a permit for logging. The bad news is, termites are social hivemind insects like ants. The good news is that they got termites from the area, so no fighting rival colonies! The ugly news is that this means the termite queen is there, who holds the termite minds of their morphs in an iron grip. The team legit can't control themselves and are in serious danger of being stuck there forever, and it takes all of Cassie's willpower to trick the termite mind into thinking the queen is an ant, killing her and destabilizing the hive. For my money, this scene is worse than the Ant scene despite the lack of dismemberment.

They learn that Dapsen Lumber is jumping the gun a bit, and they need a majority of a three-man committee to actually begin. The swing vote, Farrand, is slated to inspect the logging site before voting, where the Yeerks plan to brainslug him immediately. But Cassie's distracted from this due to her destroying a termite hive and her family taking in a skunk that was shot in the first confrontation, leaving her five kits abandoned. She asks for Tobias to help find them so she can care for them in skunk form while their mother heals, and Tobias grimly helps her find where he knows the four of them are.

Fast forward to Farrand's arrival, because skunk-sitting is BORING to me. He shows up ahead of schedule, forcing everyone to intervene immediately. Cassie gets captured and imprisoned with Farrand in a Ramonite cell (material that consists of walls that can adjust opacity). In there, she takes a gamble and threatens to kill Farrand, since they need him alive. When Visser Three opens the box, with about half his soldiers aimed to kill, they only see a skunk. The animal's appearance catches them off-guard for long enough that Cassie can spray basically all of them, easily driving them off and saving Farrand in exchange for promising Visser Three a cure for the stench. (They tell him it's grape juice instead of tomato. It's very Saturday morning cartoon.)

Most of this book is focused on Cassie dwelling on the value of life, and how they killed the termite queen for just being in their way, or how Tobias hunted one of the skunk kits but helped save the rest. They don't really shy away from how all of this is done just to survive, or that that doesn't excuse it, and it's pretty thoughtful.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:46 PM
I have a Plan

Okay, those were some fun diversions. Now it's back to worldbuilding AND driving the value-of-life discussions home with Book 10: The Android! This one centers around Marco's old schoolmate Erek, who he recently has discovered handing out pamphlets for The Sharing. I forget if I've touched on it, but The Sharing is basically a social organization, kinda like the Scouts, except it's a front for the Yeerks used as a recruitment tool. Jake's brother Tom and Mr. Chapman are both members, and the former makes a point of needling everyone he knows into joining, and totally doesn't make it sound like a cult at all.

Anyway, Marco and Tobias decide to try to keep an eye on Erek for a while, because more intel is always good. This goes normally right up until a pack of bullies chase Erek into the path of a bus, which hits him, revealing something inhuman. It doesn't kill Erek, and the next second he looks totally normal, but for a moment they saw something that looked like it was made of plastic and metal.

Going in for a second recon (during which a spider-morphed Marco gets eaten by a crow and has to explode out in midair by morphing), they get spotted by Erek and he goes "oh, you're the Andalite bandits, then." Game over man, right? Except that Erek hides them from suspicion and tells them to meet up, so he can explain what's going down. Also, the spider's eyes were able to identify that Erek is, as the title of the book spoiled, an android.

Heading to Erek's home, they are led to a subterranean park, in which countless androids like Erek are there without holographic disguises, and also there's about a thousand dogs just hanging out having a good dog time. Erek tells the story of the Pemalites, the creators of both his android people (the Chee) and dogs themselves (they imparted their souls to wolves or something). Pemalites and Chee alike are entirely pacifist and just wish to find joy in life, and had a jolly good time of it until they were attacked by vicious aliens known as Howlers. All we know about them is that they destroy for the sake of destroying, but we'll get back to them MUCH later down the road.

The important part is that the Animorphs now have a straight up, no foolin' ally in their war against the Yeerks! Erek's impersonating a Controller but has instead taken his Yeerk captive in his frame. He's also indicated that a military company by the name of Matcom (which has offered Marco's dad a work contract, despite Marco's mom fighting Yeerk control back then to warn him DON'T DO ANYTHING MILITARY) has gotten their hands on a Pemalite crystal, a powerful processor that can either put control of every computer on Earth in the hands of the Yeerks... or break the Chee's coded-in prohibition of any kind of violence.

That last part is incredibly important. Rachel tries breaking into Erek's house in bear form when everyone else takes too long, and his "dad" is casually holding a full-grown grizzly in a full nelson. If Rachel was strong enough to actually destroy him, he'd allow it, but he can easily restrain a grizzly without hurting it or himself. A Chee that is actually allowed to fight is a literal force of nature.

Which, as it happens, is what the Animorphs need after their attempt to steal the Pemalite crystal gets caught. Remember how in Book 7: The Stranger, that eight Hork-Bajir proved very nearly enough to defeat the entire team of Animorphs in a skirmish? They end up meeting a force three times that size. It takes about five seconds before Marco's stomach gets opened up a second time, and five more before it becomes apparent that they are all going to die... until someone manages to take the Pemalite crystal off of Marco's hands.

Flash forward to the fight's aftermath. All of the Animorphs are still alive, and Erek is just openly sobbing in a corner. Turns out, he used the Pemalite crystal to remove his own restriction on violence, and brutally killed the entire Yeerk force in about the same time as they thrashed the Animorphs. Bogleech's article linked in the first post does this scene more justice than I can do, and it's a horrible thing that they've all witnessed. Even before this scene, the Animorphs weren't all united in this combat capability being a good thing, but it's too late; what's done is done, and this is what it means to survive in a war.

It's weird that this comes right after a book where Cassie ponders the value of life, because I feel like this one does that but better. At least this establishes people outside of the Yeerk/Andalite dichotomy, and moreover gives the Animorphs some very powerful, albeit pacifist, allies who can gather intel for them.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:24 AM
More than two problems

For a series that deals with such heavy traumatic themes on the regular, why was the Animorphs franchise never any bigger than the books? I remember they tried a live-action kid's TV series, which combined with a low budget was perhaps the worst choice imaginable for heroes who turn into exotic animals and experience the horrors of war.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:50 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
The animal's appearance catches them off-guard for long enough that Cassie can spray basically all of them, easily driving them off and saving Farrand in exchange for promising Visser Three a cure for the stench. (They tell him it's grape juice instead of tomato. It's very Saturday morning cartoon.)
Wow... um...

You'd think that the guy with Infinite Boss Monster Transformations and who murders his underlings for minor failures wouldn't be such a flippin' dip all the time.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Wow... um...

You'd think that the guy with Infinite Boss Monster Transformations and who murders his underlings for minor failures wouldn't be such a flippin' dip all the time.
Speaking of which, I'm enjoying these recaps but I'm unclear on how much Visser Three knows about the kids. Given that several friends, family members, and associates have been shown to be Controllers, it seems like he should at least know their names? But he doesn't ever really take the fight to the kids, he just minds his own evil business until they show up yet again to put a wrench in it.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:37 AM
Programmed to Jingle

No one has ever seen the kids actually transform to imply they're anything but human, and the Yeerks are everywhere, so the odds of them finding people they know in day-to-day life is pretty good
Old 09-27-2017, 08:39 AM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

I ignored this series when I was the target age because I was really into Stephen King and Clive Barker at the time, but it sounds like Animorphs would have fit right in with those.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:03 AM
I have a Plan

About the only reason Visser Three doesn't pin down the kids is that he's certain they're Andalites. The kids take pains to maintain this illusion, but they screw up a bit, and a few advisers hold the belief that they are human. Ax joins the team at the right time to help keep this up, and insists on fighting in Andalite form, although this could make everyone else more suspicious when they refuse to morph out.

Mostly it comes down to "nobody openly disagrees with Visser Three even if he's wrong".
Old 09-27-2017, 01:37 PM
I have a Plan

And now: an excerpt from Book 10: The Android, so you guys can get a sample of exactly what morphing looks like. This also comes just after an explanation that when morphing something smaller than yourself, your excess mass is shunted into Zero-space, which is where FTL travel happens. You're about as likely to be hit by lightning as to have something interact with that mass. Still not fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco
I felt myself starting to shrink. Shrinking is always a little weird, but now I was also thinking about some big, disgusting balloon of Marco mass suddenly bulging out into Zero-space.

Whatever Zero-space was.

I could feel myself getting smaller. I could feel very strange things happening inside of me: sudden feelings of emptiness where organs were simply disappearing.

And there was a distracting squishy sound that came up my spine and through my skull. The sound of bones turning to marrow, and of marrow sort of oozing away.

I wouldn't be needing any bones, I guess.

I kept my eyes tightly shut, not wanting to see what was happening. And I held onto my fears with a death grip of determination. I mean, if there's anything worse than a spider, it's being some disgusting mix of half-human, half-spider.

But then...

POP! POP! POP!

I could see! I tried to close my eyes, but no! I didn't have eyelids. It's very hard to close your eyes when you don't have eyelids.

Eyes were popping open in my forehead. Eyes were erupting out of my head like zits.

I almost lost it right then. I would have screamed if I'd had a voice any longer. But I was already half spider. And I was staring at Ax as he underwent a change very similar to my own.

I was watching him with vision that was half-human and half the shattered, broken-mirror vision of the spider's compound eyes.

Something horrifying was growing from the place on Ax's face where a mouth should have been. Something huge and bulging and foul. Two monstrous, swollen things like... like nothing I'd ever seen before. They were jaws, but huge and outsized. From the end of each one, a wicked, curved fang grew.

Sometimes you really, really need eyelids. There are definitely some things you don't want to have to see.

I knew the same thing was happening to me. My bulging jaw parts grew till they entered my own distorted field of vision.

Fortunately, I didn't have to worry too long about the jaws. See, I became distracted when legs suddenly exploded from my chest.

SPROOOT!

Four new legs, two on each side, just shot out of me, like I was a tube of toothpaste someone had stomped. They sprouted all Gumby-unformed, then began to form joints. Way too many joints.

My human arms and legs were changing to match these first spider legs.I fell forward, no longer able to stand erect.

It wasn't much of a fall. I was already pretty small. The pine needles beneath me already seemed to be as big around as a human finger.

Not that I had any fingers left to compare with.

All the while, new eyes kept opening suddenly where eyes absolutely did not belong. Some were compound eyes. Some weren't.

Then, as if the extra legs, and the mix 'n' match eyes, and the huge jaw-and-fang combo weren't enough, some new leglike things came sprouting out of my... well, out of where my neck used to be. They were like extra legs, only they weren't. I had no idea what they were. But they moved. Much later, I found out they're called pedipalps. A sort of cross between a mouth part and a leg.

My head was swelling, compared to the rest of my body. It was gigantic... in a small way. My entire body was now divided into two big chunks: a sort of bulging head and an even bulgier body.

I was almost entirely spider now. The pine needles that had seemed as fingers were now as big as two-by-fours.

As the last touch, strangely soft hairs began to grow everywhere from my body.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:53 PM
I have a Plan

Hello!

Today we're going to cover one of the standalone books, The Andalite Chronicles. See, my plan was to split up every ten main series books with one of these full-length side stories, which each cover incredibly important characters or events that can't be covered in the main books for whatever reason. In this case it's obvious why: this book is about Elfangor-Siriniul-Shamtul, aka the guy what gave the Animorphs their powers and then got themselves eaten by Visser Three. So it's sort of a prequel.

We start with Elfangor and his fellow cadet Arbron called into a side mission during a battle with the Yeerks in our solar system. As the battle goes on, there's a Skrit Na (classic LGM style aliens, sort of) raider is observed around Earth, so the cadets, being the only ones tiny enough to board, are sent on a pursuit course. They board one of the two ships, where they find the Skrit Na failing to keep their alien captives in check. Those captives are named Hedrick Chapman and Loren Lastnamemysteriouslyunspecified. The plan is to return them home, under the command of the disgraced war-prince Alloran. Wow, short time for all these auspiciously-named people to be here.

But then they find logs that the other ship was carrying tech known as the Time Matrix. Which is effectively a time machine and therefore suddenly priority number one for the Andalites. Loren takes the delay of her return to Earth fairly well, but Chapman basically acts like that one lone wolf character in every survival story ever. He even thinks the Yeerks are the side to stick with in this war. Subtlety!

The Skrit Na went all the way to the Taxxon homeworld, which is about the worst place any Andalite cadet wants to be. Alloran's plan is to sabotage a Taxxon ship and morph into its pilots, so as to pass on the planet without notice. When they take the ship, they find out it's shuttling about a hundred Yeerks. Alloran orders Elfangor to jettison the lot of them, but he balks, finding it inhumane to kill off so many defenseless Yeerks this way. This creates friction between the two, but the Yeerks live for now.

On the Taxxon homeworld, an unfortunate accident results in a rando Taxxon falling and dying. This causes a feeding frenzy, during which Elfangor gets separated from the others and captured by Sub-Visser Seven. He's not Visser Three yet, you see. But even now, he wants to claim an Andalite body for himself. Elfangor taunts him a bit and is pushed out of a tram as a result, and nearly gets eaten by Taxxons himself. His reward for escaping is seeing Chapman land Alloran's ship in front of Sub-Visser Seven and say "HEY BRUH WANNA TRADE I GOT A SICK HOMEWORLD FULL OF HOSTS LIKE THIS GIRL I TIED UP".

Deciding to switch tactics, he heads to the spaceport to steal the Skrit Na ship, to keep the Time Matrix away from the Yeerks. Along the way, he reunites with Arbron, now trapped in his Taxxon morph. They hijack the Skrit Na ship with a rad chase scene, but it all goes south as Arbron's hunger from the Taxxon form wears on him, driving him to attack Elfangor in hopes that he'll kill him in self-defense. This almost works, and they crash land near the Taxxon hive.

Turns out this Living Hive is super mad at the Yeerks for stealing so many of its children, and plans to stage a Taxxon rebellion. Arbron elects to stay behind on the homeworld to coordinate this rebellion. Elfangor tags along, but mostly to find Loren and Alloran (and Chapman I GUESS). This is easier said than done, because Taxxon combat is MESSY. Eventually Elfangor finds Loren and Chapman on the dock of Alloran's ship, the Jahar. He makes what feels like a doomed last stand against Sub-Visser Seven until Alloran, in Hork-Bajir morph, ambushes the sub-Visser and turns the tide. (Since I haven't described Hork-Bajir, imagine if velociraptors had rose thorns. They're really deadly, even though the species is normally docile.)

Alloran's second order of business (after forcing Sub-Visser Seven to walk the space-plank) is to have Elfangor go back to the transport ship they stole earlier to eradicate the ten thousand Yeerks or so with lasers. Again, Elfangor balks, which drives Alloran into a rage, during which he admits to using a quantum virus on the Hork-Bajir homeworld (more on that MUCH later). This buys Chapman enough time to sucker punch Alloran, which creates enough chaos that the actual Sub-Visser Seven, hiding in Chapman, transfers to Alloran's body. Whoops!

Elfangor manages to get to the Time Matrix and confuse the Yeerks into attacking Sub-Visser Seven, buying him enough time to get to Z-space. There, he goes over his plan with Loren: guessing that the Yeerks placed a homing beacon on the ship, he plans to counter-ambush them by returning to his old ship: the StarSword. It almost works, too, except that the StarSword is under attack by sentient meteorites. Sub-Visser Seven (already promoted to Visser Thirty-Two) shows up, Chapman tries to disrupt things, and the Jahar ends up critically damaged and drifting towards a black hole.

Faced with at least three types of certain space death, Elfangor, Loren, and Visser Thirty-Two all try to use the Time Matrix at once (Chapman is unconscious and does not get a chance). Instead of time travel, their dying conflicting instructions create a miniature universe composed of their memories. Loren even imagines a few people, but imperfectly: her mom treats Andalites as NBD, and the acne-ridden boy with a crush on her has his whole face overriden with pustules. Delightful!

The second time takes, and Elfangor gives it up and goes to live a fully human life on Earth. He becomes a computer scientist, gives Bill Gates and Steve Jobs their ideas, and eventually marries Loren. All well and good until the Ellimist turn up all like "you messed with my stuff and broke reality". The Ellimist kind of rewinds and fixes time to undo all of this, while at the same time revealing that he's playing some kind of cosmic game with an ancient evil as his competition, and also that Elfangor is Tobias' dad, which needs to happen because the Animorphs are key to the Ellimist's gameplan. Elfangor comes back to the last battle of the StarSword, turns the tide, and tells the captain everything.

And then he has a ton of adventures of no consequence, but honestly that's already way too much to chew on. Oh, and Chapman's memory was wiped because screw that guy.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:05 PM
d.o_o.b

Visser Three's reaction to getting smacked in the face with a rock is the best.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:17 PM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

Visser 3 is basically a giant idiot, right?
Old 09-27-2017, 11:18 PM
I have a Plan

Yes.

To be fair, his plan to get into Alloran's brain was legit clever, as he had one of his advisers pose as him, even when it was evident Alloran was going to kill him, and lay low inside the mind of one of the humans he was supposed to return to Earth eventually.

But most of the time he is a raging imbecile.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Programmed to Jingle

He's a cunning and murderously-ambitious high-ranking soldier with an unprecedented capacity for destruction. Whenever the main characters aren't involved.

The rest of the time he ranks somewhere between Skeletor and Newman from Seinfeld.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:09 AM
-ryn

I remember loving these books, I assume when they came out as I remember waiting anxiously for the next book and I don't think I made it further than about where this thread is in the series now. These are good synopsis of the books i remember. I can remember little details of several of these books based on the little plot description. I thought the concept was great.

It would definitely be interesting to see where this series went after I lost interest and what happened.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:25 PM
I have a Plan

Back to the standalones. Book 11: The Forgotten might flesh out Jake's character a bit more, but it's hardly required reading. Mission is simple as ever: crashed Yeerk fighter being covered up? HIJACK THAT SUCKER AND LAND IT ON CLINTON'S FRONT YARD! Jake's a little worried though, what with having realistically vivid hallucinations of rainforests. Probably not important.

This book has timestamps for each chapter, so we know it's about 8PM when they get to the fighter. They take off, but are quickly intercepted by the Blade ship of Visser Three. They trade shots, and the beams collide, causing both ships to crashland in the middle of the Brazilian rainforest, midday. Nobody dies, but they ARE stranded in the wild. Ax explains that the beam collision temporarily tore a hole in spacetime, called a Sario Rip, and that once they hit the time it originally occurred, the twin consciousnesses of everyone will mutually annihilate each other. So that's neat!

What follows is Jake's biggest test so far as leader. He's always been the de facto leader of the group, but the hostile environment and sharp time limit push him to the edge. He's got to make snap decisions, risk people's lives, and come up with the best possible plans he can, and it is grueling. Rachel gets eaten alive (mostly) by ants, and then piranhas try for seconds. Jake gets bitten by a snake. Ax almost gets caught by Visser Three's troops, who go on to shoot up most of the vicinity (until Visser Three, in snake morph, politely asks them to not shoot him).

Working off of the assumption that they need to recreate the conditions of the Sario Rip to avoid total existence failure, the Animorphs try to get back to the ships. Only problem is, Visser Three thought the same thing, and manages to ambush all of them with his Lerdethak Carnivine morph. Despite the intervention of some friendly jungle-dwellers, he successfully kills off all of the Animorphs! Good job, Visser Three!

It's too bad that Jake was the only real consciousness split off by the Sario Rip, so killing him averts the annihilation and deposits his mind back home, just before the heist of the fighter, where he leads the team back home to do nothing. Visser Three's only decisive victory against the Animorphs so far never happens. Guy can't catch a break, can he?
Old 09-28-2017, 05:54 PM

I could not avoid consistently reading that as the Sanrio Rip and imagining a very different sort of story.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:13 PM
I have a Plan

Book 12: The Reaction reveals what happens when the Yeerks finally get their hands on one of the deadliest weapons known to mankind, capable of converting massive swaths of the population to their cause without even a single infestation. Yes, I'm talking about teen heartthrob actors. I don't know if younger me caught the off-brand reference of Jeremy Jason McCole, who plays the son of the comedian dad on Power House, but you probably can.

Anyway: this is also the one where Rachel acquires a crocodile, SO A CROCOBEAR HAPPENS! To explain what they were spoiling: if you acquire an animal you're allergic to, your allergic reaction to its DNA is spontaneous, cross-form morphing, triggered by spikes of emotion. This includes rage, fear, and teen crushes. Yes, this is one of the rare lighthearted books (and while it is stupid, it's delightfully so, which I will always forgive).

Mission: Jeremy Jason McCole is going to speak for the Sharing! This would spike their recruitment with countless adoring fangirls! It's up to the Animorphs to stop him! This is made easier by Rachel, whose daring rescue of a boy who fell into a crocodile pit, followed by her house collapsing due to spontaneous elephantism, earns her exactly 15 minutes of fame. They also learn that Jeremy Jason McCole volunteered to be a Controller for extra fame. What a tool!

Most of the book is just zany wacky shenanigans brought on by Rachel's allergy, culminating with the herent illint (DNA burp) of a full-grown crocodile on the set of the Barry and Cindy Sue Show. This crocodile proves to be a more dangerous opponent than Visser Three's javelin-spitting space manta earlier in the book, which literally goes blasting off again. The crew saves Jeremy Jason McCole from crocodiles and Yeerks alike, and he goes to live in Uzbekistan where neither of those things exist.

You chose a good book to spoil. CROCOBEAR!

Last edited by Kalir; 09-28-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:31 PM
Programmed to Jingle

I can think of no more suitable story to be interrupted by CROCOBEAR.

I really can not.

There is no such animal as a story that wouldn't be improved by SUDDENLY; CROCOBEAR HAPPENS
Old 09-28-2017, 09:46 PM
I have a Plan

Kay, that was fun. On to Book 13: The Change. This being a Tobias book, the cover has his only morph on it (human to hawk). It also spoils the plot twist so hard that HEY LOOK A FREE HORK-BAJIR!

Tobias meets up with Rachel (and sees her Packard Foundation Outstanding Student award ceremony notification) and says hey, want to see the results of my Yeerk pool mapping project? Only so much a guy with one form and no regenerative capabilities tied to morphing can do. But he flies off-course in just the right way to see a pair of Hork-Bajir fleeing an entire troop of Yeerk Controllers. Figuring they must be free of Yeerks and trying to escape, the pair lead them to safety.

They learn two things: the two Hork-Bajir, Jara Hamee and Ket Halpak, are married free Hork-Bajir, and that despite the overwhelming Yeerk coverup attempt that could be described as "hiding an electrical fire with a napalm bomb", Tobias keeps ending up in the right place at the right time to save them, frequently defying the laws of physics to do so. This culminates in visions revealing a mountain glade perfect for hiding the Hork-Bajir, at which point Tobias complains to the air that he wants answers. The air obliges him and brings him to the Ellimist.

The Ellimist doesn't really tell Tobias anything that wasn't already known: they want the Hork-Bajir free, and the Ellimist can't directly interfere, so could you guys do it? Tobias replies that if this guy is really all-powerful, then at the very least he should be rewarded for helping. The Ellimist agrees to give Tobias what he wants, but what does Tobias really want, anyway?

As the group take the Hork-Bajir to the grove (and while they're quick, they're simple-minded and very obvious, so their route take a while) Tobias gets blindsided by helicopters, breaks his wing, and falls down to a raccoon's territory. Anyone else could morph out no problem, but that's a death sentence for him... until the Ellimist says "hey pal here's your reward" and gives him morphing capabilities. This lets Tobias acquire the raccoon and escape, but he feels cheated since he's still in hawk form, not human.

He returns to the group and takes part in their plan to fake the Hork-Bajir's deaths, surprising everyone with his morph. Everyone's still mad at the Ellimist, but to be fair, basically half of Tobias' involvement in most books is survivor's guilt for being unable to morph, so morphing a Hork-Bajir and jumping off of a cliff is at least partly what he wants. And the plan works; the Hork-Bajir get to the grove and prepare to start a family! Mission success!

Except Tobias is still mad that he can't go be human, so he sulks on his own in the forest. Fortunately, spacetime looks the other way and he ends up on his bedside table before the night Elfangor crashed, able to acquire his old human DNA. So he can make it to Rachel's award thing AND he can have unique cover morphs again. Sure, they had to pull an Ellimist ex machina to do it, but I really like those books that build the world and have happy endings.

Too bad the cover literally spoils the critical plot twist.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:29 AM
disguised king of surfing

so if i have this right

tobias can morph into himself again, but if he does so for more than two hours at a time, he basically goes back to being an average joe forever?

also what is a sario rip
Old 09-29-2017, 02:00 AM
forbidden noise

yes. the rewritten rules are that tobias' "natural" form is a hawk and the original boy dna is a human morph

animorphs is good. i kinda fell off near the end, but i ended up reading it a few years later and then seeing applegate's letter about her intended messages in the series which i respected a lot
Old 09-29-2017, 02:31 AM
Programmed to Jingle

...can they morph into other people, or can they only work with one creatures DNA per species?
Old 09-29-2017, 06:23 AM
-ryn

well, i remember Rachel acquires the DNA of a specific cat, so she morphs into that exact cat (b/c that's how DNA works). Also, I remember Ax acquires all four animorphs DNA and melds them for his human morph (so he's not a copy of any one specific already existing human)

My thing is that if hawk is Tobias's natural form now and he morphs into human Tobias, shouldn't human Tobias's mind be in there also like every other animal they morph to has a mind.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:35 AM
poisonous thread snake

I read the Andalite Chronicles in 4th grade and found it to be pretty heady. The only thing I remember about it is the aliens eating various grasses through their hooves.

I remember in the TV series there was some weird thing where yeerks were like- weak to oatmeal? Was that in the books too?
Old 09-29-2017, 08:17 AM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
This crocodile proves to be a more dangerous opponent than Visser Three's javelin-spitting space manta earlier in the book
This is completely unsurprising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY SONIC CLASSIC HEROES LP. NO SERIOUSLY. View Post
A crocodile. As in those enormous unfeeling hell beasts that cut through the water like a knife. Proud members of a Genus that's survived multiple extinction events by just fucking off back into the water that call home. Creatures that are reason lesser beings like you and I stay the fuck out of the water, because monsters are real and they are all crocodiles.
We should be greatful 90 percent of every crocodile's day is spent lounging around in supreme laziness. If they were even a little bit motivated, they would be the dominant species on earth and every human would be dead.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:23 AM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

Default THIS THREAD IS A LET'S PLAY KALIR. YOU ROCKIN IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
applegate's letter about her intended messages in the series which i respected a lot
Can you tell us what the message was or would that be a spoiler?

Wait why am i asking about spoilers in this thread is this thread a let's play now?

THIS THREAD IS A LET'S PLAY NOW.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:48 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Well, it basically was already.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:18 AM
I have a Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
...can they morph into other people, or can they only work with one creatures DNA per species?
Ax acquires Jake to cover for him in Book 6, when he's locked in a shack in the woods to starve out Temrash. Cassie acquires Rachel to cover for her on the Barry and Cindy Sue Show while the real Rachel is off crocobearing. You can acquire multiple morphs of one species, or even your own species, but the group tries to avoid it on moral grounds of identity theft.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:41 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
I remember in the TV series there was some weird thing where yeerks were like- weak to oatmeal? Was that in the books too?
A specific flavor of oatmeal, so probably whatever was used to flavor it rather than the oatmeal itself, but yes. If memory serves, a yeerk exposed to it no longer needs kandrona rays to live and can thus stay in their host permanently, but also goes incurably insane and their host regains partial control. They learn this from someone in an asylum with this very problem.

Tags
anda-light novels , animorphs , body horror for kids , brain slugs , crocobear , cronenberg's creatures , teens with attitude , war is hell , worst space horse