The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-20-2016, 12:45 PM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
My excellent thread title
I gave it an approving nod. May your witticism experience Valhalla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Is the 3DS going to keep going for a while after this comes out?
I hope so. I'm not done with that system by any measure.

The worst thing is how, being a modern console, when support is done, so many games lose integral features. It's what I hate the most about modern gaming. It's going to be a sad time for future retro gamers.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:08 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
???
Hotel Dusk (and a few other games) had you turn your DS sideways and hold it like a book:

Old 10-20-2016, 01:13 PM
Come, noble knights!

The system certainly looks neat. Being able to take the new Zelda or Skyrim on the go, even with a drop in visual quality, is a big plus. And from the small bit of footage seen so far, the new 3D Mario looks like it might be more in the Mario 64 vein than Galaxy or 3D World. Maybe.

Anyway, the big question for me isn't if the Nintendo Switch has third party support, but if it can actually hold onto that third party support this time. I mean, I'd heard it's more dev friendly than the Wii U was, but if it's gonna be both portable and affordable it probably ain't gonna be as powerful as the PS4 or Xbone, which could dissuade devs from releasing games for it in the long run.

Oh well, it'll probably at least be a great portable indie machine.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:15 PM
Bob

must not buy day one must not buy day one must not buy day one

DID I LEARN ANYTHING BY THE DUSTY WII U SITTING IN THE CORNER!?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Not 100% a dick

I wonder if they're going to do a pack-in game of some description this time?

We don't really need a proof-of-concept game like Wii Sports or Nintendo Land, so probably not?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:20 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
must not buy day one must not buy day one must not buy day one

DID I LEARN ANYTHING BY THE DUSTY WII U SITTING IN THE CORNER!?
My Wii U's HDMI port that stopped working a little over a year after getting the system is enough to persuade me not to Day One it. And I got that system in 2014.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:36 PM
Love and Peace

I am enthusiastic about the Switch, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out that buying a Bethesda game (Skyrim) on a console is a bad idea unless it's your only feasible choice. And I say that knowing that Skyrim on the Toilet is a dream shared by all of the people of the world.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:55 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Hotel Dusk (and a few other games) had you turn your DS sideways and hold it like a book:

I was confused because that is holding the DS in portrait mode. I was saying you could, in theory, hold/stand the Switch tablet in portrait mode and play (3)DS games on it, a la the way the 2DS is really just one big screen.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:57 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
You know, maybe you will be able to play the thing in portrait mode ...

E: my main interest now is how the UI and hardware works, how much storage it has, how it will handle old VC and digital content, etc.
It's not fun without guesses.

Portrait mode: no, though some games will support it

Storage: 32gb model with dock and little snap in pseudo-controller for $350, pro controller sold separately

Old VC: lmao no
Old 10-20-2016, 01:59 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
I was confused because that is holding the DS in portrait mode. I was saying you could, in theory, hold/stand the Switch tablet in portrait mode and play (3)DS games on it, a la the way the 2DS is really just one big screen.
A helpful diagram:
Code:
conchobhar's original joke
^
|
|
|
|
clouds
^
|
|
|
tall buildings
^
|
|
|
McClain's head.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:00 PM

I'm not up for the 399 it'll likely cost. But I love the form factor, it's sleek, modern and mature.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:04 PM
Programmed to Jingle

It making that *click* every time assembles or disassembles might be as big a deal to me as the fact that the little PS logo on the PlayStation 2 could rotate.

I'm not saying it will be, but that thing was huge to me.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:06 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
the little PS logo on the PlayStation 2 could rotate.
...say what now?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:10 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Quote:
Where will all the skeevy Vita games go?
Oh, won't someone think of the skeevy Vita game developers?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:14 PM
concern troll

I really hope there's two main "tiers" of game prices so you have games that are in the old console mode that are I guess $60 and games that are more in the old portable mold that are $30-40.

I also wouldn't mind if SE and others went back to the PSP/Vita well and gave me a port of Crisis Core and whatever else I've missed out on.
Love and Peace

Skeevy Vita games will always have Steam~

Or some guy's booth at Comiket, if they're really bad.
All are Santa Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
...say what now?
You can turn the PS logo on the PS2, so it looks "correct" even if you keep your machine upright. You... I mean...you did know this?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Life depends on change

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
You can turn the PS logo on the PS2, so it looks "correct" even if you keep your machine upright. You... I mean...you did know this?
I didn't.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:17 PM
Programmed to Jingle

As far as PS2 features are concerned, it was well above the life-affirming Green and Blue LEDs, and even the little animated save-icons!
Old 10-20-2016, 02:18 PM

Oh, that's why it rotates. That's pretty slick. I never put my system upright.
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by balder the brave View Post
This is my concern as well. I kind of love B-level 3DS games.

Maybe Altus et al. will simply make lower priced, less detailed NX games. Or...could you imagine a Steam handheld?
This is already happening, and they're moving back to PC.
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Oh, won't someone think of the skeevy Vita game developers?
This is a system where a one handed controller is standard. I think someone is looking out for them.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:19 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
This is a system where a one handed controller is standard. I think someone is looking out for them.
Oh jesus I didn't even think about playing one handed ...
Old 10-20-2016, 02:22 PM
Objection!

Quote:
Where will all the skeevy Vita games go?
To Steam, where they have been going for a while now.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:24 PM
Jump and shoot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
that thing was huge to me.
I've only turned the PS2 vertical a couple times, and it was entirely for this reason.

So, two reactions here:

As a console, I loved the Wii U. Having two separate screens for couch co-op was huge, and Splatoon made great use of the second screen as a map. This looks like it can't do that, and that really disappoints me.

As a handheld...I hate handhelds. I play everything I possibly can on the TV, so if this means we're not going to have another thing like the 3DS anytime soon, I'll be able to enjoy everything Nintendo does for a while, and won't have to worry about things like Hyrule Warriors migrating to handheld and then getting a bunch of updates the console version didn't.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:30 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
Speaking as someone who frequently needs to scritch a dogs ears and belly while playing video games, this is a crucial feature (in fact, you may notice that the VERY FIRST THING the trailer reveals is how convenient the system is for satisfying Dog Needs).

Speaking as someone who has at some point read any part of the Anime is a Scourge thread, this feature makes me say "Ewwww" and want to bathe myself furiously.

I like the former mindset, however. So that's the one I'm sticking with.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:31 PM
is Earnest

Per IGN, Switch supports Amiibos, and the dock only provides a TV out and power. The portion with the screen is the entire console. No comment about a touch screen.

The Nintendo Switch home gaming system will "absolutely" support amiibo for compatible Nintendo Switch games, Nintendo has confirmed to IGN.

"If a Nintendo Switch game supports amiibo then the Nintendo Switch home gaming system will as well," a Nintendo representative told IGN.

Nintendo also clarified a couple more features of its newly unveiled Nintendo Switch console, including the function of the Nintendo Switch Dock seen in its announcement trailer, which you can watch below.

"The Nintendo Switch Dock has been created so that it is extremely easy to seamlessly switch from playing games on a TV to transition into a portable mode," a Nintendo representative told IGN.

Nintendo continued: "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

According to Nintendo, the Joy-Con controllers — named Joy-Con L and Joy-Con R — will be included alongside the Nintendo Switch system.

When asked if the Nintendo Switch will have touchscreen support, Nintendo declined to comment.

"We will make additional announcements about the Nintendo Switch hardware later, before the launch of the product," Nintendo told IGN.

I guess the touchscreen would only work in portable mode anyway, so maybe they're actually leaving it out? That would be surprising, but I don't think I'd really miss it. Well, except for Etrian Odyssey of course.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:31 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
Skeevy Vita games will always have PS4.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:42 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Per IGN, Switch supports Amiibos, and the dock only provides a TV out and power. The portion with the screen is the entire console. No comment about a touch screen.

The Nintendo Switch home gaming system will "absolutely" support amiibo for compatible Nintendo Switch games, Nintendo has confirmed to IGN.

"If a Nintendo Switch game supports amiibo then the Nintendo Switch home gaming system will as well," a Nintendo representative told IGN.

Nintendo also clarified a couple more features of its newly unveiled Nintendo Switch console, including the function of the Nintendo Switch Dock seen in its announcement trailer, which you can watch below.

"The Nintendo Switch Dock has been created so that it is extremely easy to seamlessly switch from playing games on a TV to transition into a portable mode," a Nintendo representative told IGN.

Nintendo continued: "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

According to Nintendo, the Joy-Con controllers — named Joy-Con L and Joy-Con R — will be included alongside the Nintendo Switch system.

When asked if the Nintendo Switch will have touchscreen support, Nintendo declined to comment.

"We will make additional announcements about the Nintendo Switch hardware later, before the launch of the product," Nintendo told IGN.

I guess the touchscreen would only work in portable mode anyway, so maybe they're actually leaving it out? That would be surprising, but I don't think I'd really miss it. Well, except for Etrian Odyssey of course.
RIP mario maker 2
Old 10-20-2016, 02:43 PM
We just don't know.

I haven't been following along with the speculation or news at all, but are we sure that this is also the successor to the handheld line? Like, they're moving away from 3DS to one system that covers both bases? That's what I definitely remember hearing but don't know if it was just speculation or what.

Because if it is, I'm almost certain to get this, especially if it's region free.

If not, I'm still moderately likely to get it eventually, since it looks like it'll have a lot of sequels/1.5s/new versions of the games I wanted to play on WiiU but never got around to getting a console for.

Tags
任天堂 リバ , ah-ah ah-ah yeah! , all eggs in one basket , bait and switch , controllers for ants , dom/sub , ebullient millenials , hardware , joycon , lets talk preorders , litral switch to the face , miimosa party , neo-cons , nintendo , nintendo switch , no picross no sale , opinions , snap! , snitches get switches , swiitch , switch it on , switch palace , the new switcheroo , the switching hour , whip it