The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-06-2016, 05:00 PM
McBear

Default Pokemon General Discussion Gen VII

Okay kids, go nuts with speculation. I'm gonna ignore this thread until Sun and Moon comes out.

Last edited by TirMcDohl; 06-06-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:25 PM
Programmed to Jingle

If you can't ride every Pokemon, I'm... Im...

I'm going to hold my breath until I pass out!
Old 04-06-2016, 05:28 PM
#deadfish2017

I heard Nintendo is censoring the game by taking out the pokemon riding in America.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:57 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Now I'm just sad I missed out on creating this gen's TT thread.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:03 PM
Highway To HFIL

JUST SHOW ME THE FUCKIN' STARTERS NINTENDO
Old 04-06-2016, 07:47 PM
play digimon cyber sleuth

/touches the thread
Old 04-06-2016, 07:48 PM
oh my car

I'm going to Wonder Trade with people in China.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:57 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quote:
During today's episode of Gathering at the Pokémon House, the first TV broadcast of Pokémon Sun & Moon has aired. This footage turned out to be the first broadcast of the special Pokémon Sun & Moon trailer that was released with the Pokémon Direct back in February. This was the first airing of the Pokémon Sun & Moon trailer on Japanese Television.
Edit @ 00:27: Masuda confirmed on the show, jokingly in response to Shoko Nakagawa's question about how many new Pokémon there are in the game, that there will be over 10 new Pokémon in the games

Game Freak are master trolls.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:59 PM
disguised king of surfing

there will be exactly eleven new pokemon
Old 04-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Espurrs are proud.

My biggest wish for S/M is that they scale the plot the fuck down. The last 4 generations have been trying way too hard to have Epic Sweeping JRPG Plots when that's really not a good fit for the Pokemon setting. Give me some towns with good little scenarios and a compelling rival (remember Silver?) and I'll be happy, but if I have to fight a god Pokemon for the fate of the universe again I'm just not gonna be able to give a shit
Old 04-06-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfut View Post
(remember Silver?)
no
Old 04-06-2016, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfut View Post
My biggest wish for S/M is that they scale the plot the fuck down. The last 4 generations have been trying way too hard to have Epic Sweeping JRPG Plots when that's really not a good fit for the Pokemon setting. Give me some towns with good little scenarios and a compelling rival (remember Silver?) and I'll be happy, but if I have to fight a god Pokemon for the fate of the universe again I'm just not gonna be able to give a shit
Plz god yes. I just wanna be some rando trainer who is trying to be the very best, like no one ever was.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:50 PM
oh my car

I believe the opposite: make the whole game as stupid as the Delta Episode.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:01 PM
Espurrs are proud.

The Looker postgame is still my favorite thing from the past like 3 generations because it didn't try to be a sweeping epic tale
Old 04-06-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
this one, let's do this one
Old 04-07-2016, 05:33 AM
play digimon cyber sleuth

I actually really enjoyed B/W's attempt at plot, and I think it came down to two things. First, even though it got really dramatic, the scale was ultimately still local - you were fighting for political control in the context of a specific regional story, not to save the whole world or to save everyone from GET KILLED (which was rad in DPPt but wears out its welcome fast). Second, there was more...narrative time devoted to developing the story, I guess? I got really attached to BW's characters, and the flow of events seemed to make sense and give me a reason for going to places. XY felt like I was checking off a list of obligatory places to visit while having cardboard cutouts thrown at me and someone was yelling "ARE YOU ENDEARED YET". Team Flare involvement also seemed to amount to them doing Villain Things I had to stop because they were Villains, until suddenly the climax of the story attacked, and I had to go do something about it because I was the Hero. No real personal involvement.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:09 AM
Objection!

I'd like for the game to be a little more non-linear up until the championship. I know that can be really hard to do in an RPG, but they could maybe handle it by making gym challenges be handled a-la online or Battle Frontier, where it's a fixed level and you scale up or down accordingly. So the gym challenge becomes more one of composition, instead of just over-leveling it.

But really, I'd just kind of like it if the "hub" city was more of a hub, and you wandered out in whatever direction you wanted and took on the gyms in an order that felt right to you.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:43 AM
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Yeah, I like this one too. If you're gonna do crazy, just go all-out next-level bonkers.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
I'd like for the game to be a little more non-linear up until the championship. I know that can be really hard to do in an RPG, but they could maybe handle it by making gym challenges be handled a-la online or Battle Frontier, where it's a fixed level and you scale up or down accordingly. So the gym challenge becomes more one of composition, instead of just over-leveling it.

But really, I'd just kind of like it if the "hub" city was more of a hub, and you wandered out in whatever direction you wanted and took on the gyms in an order that felt right to you.
Gen1 actually came the closest to delivering on this, ironically. Sabrina and Koga were basically interchangeable in terms of which one you could handle next, since they were the same level, and there was nothing limiting your access to either of them. I don't recall any of the other games actually doing that.

As a kid I actually thought you were supposed to fight Sabrina before Koga, but their badges are actually displayed in the opposite order. Koga's badge giving you access to Surf is the only thing preventing you from getting to Cinnabar, so I imagine you could actually delay Sabrina even longer.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:45 PM

I hope that Gen VII is New 3DS-enhanced if not New 3DS-exclusive. That is to say, I was really disappointed by how poorly Gen VI performed on the 3DS hardware and I hope they take advantage of some of that beefiness. They could even do things like use the second stick for another set of registered items; or take the L=A control scheme and make ZL act as B, finally fulfilling the dream of letting you play the entire game left-handed.

Last edited by teg; 04-07-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:47 PM
Banned

fuck that, I don't wanna buy a new DS.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:19 PM

If Hyrule Warriors is any indication, they're more than willing to make games that run like garbage on the OG 3DS, but still technically run on them. I imagine we could at least expect a Gen VI level of performance out of the older models, I just want the option to play a version that can actually render the overworld in 3D.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:54 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateJoker View Post
Gen1 actually came the closest to delivering on this, ironically.
Both RBY and GSC do this to a degree. In RBY, Erika is also easy to pass by and do later, and Lt Surge is also able to be put off. In GSC, you can head to Mahogany and fight Pryce before Chuck and Jasmine, and of course Kanto is almost entirely up to the player.

And yeah, I always fight Sabrina before Koga...
Old 04-07-2016, 05:14 PM
Crazy Old Bird

There's no way they'll make the games New 3DS-exclusive, but yeah, I could see them enhancing them. The battles can get awful choppy in 2v2 or 3v3.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Both RBY and GSC do this to a degree. In RBY, Erika is also easy to pass by and do later, and Lt Surge is also able to be put off. In GSC, you can head to Mahogany and fight Pryce before Chuck and Jasmine, and of course Kanto is almost entirely up to the player.

And yeah, I always fight Sabrina before Koga...
You could also fight Winona whenever you wanted in Gen 3, if you didn't mind missing Fly.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:02 PM

Gonna throw out a prediction: I'd be willing to bet that Sun and Moon are the Gold and Silver to X and Y's Red and Blue. I think you'll be able to go back to Kalos in the postgame and that's where they lump in all the stuff that they were obviously saving for Z, like Zygarde's new form and all the hanging plot threads about things like the ghost girl and Heatran being in Jaune Plaza and such.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:09 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
If Hyrule Warriors is any indication, they're more than willing to make games that run like garbage on the OG 3DS, but still technically run on them. I imagine we could at least expect a Gen VI level of performance out of the older models, I just want the option to play a version that can actually render the overworld in 3D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateJoker View Post
fuck that, I don't wanna buy a new DS.
I'm not buying a Pokémon game that only technically works on my hardware.

Kanto is far and away the most open region, as you really only have to do the first, second, and eighth Gyms in that order. After you beat Misty, you can get Cut, and after you get Cut you can get Surf, and after that virtually the entire region is open to you.

The reason for this is that Kanto is the only region to make heavy use of environmental obstacles, as opposed to plot ones. The more recent games have played down the use of HMs so that you don't have to carry around an HM slave everywhere you go, but the downside of this strategy is that if they don't want you to go somewhere yet, their only tool is a guy standing in the middle of the road saying you can't go this way; go follow the plot instead. You can sometimes finagle things if you only have HMs to worry about, but there aren't a lot of ways to get around Guy Blocking The Road.

I'd much prefer a return to the old design philosophy, and if that means I have to carry around an HM and not every Gym Leader can get involved in the plot, so be it.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Espurrs are proud.

why dont we replace hms with items that do the things the hms do
Old 04-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Because the central theme of the Pokémon series is cooperation between humans and Pokémon to solve problems. If the humans can solve all the problems themselves and the Pokémon are purely for fighting, it's just dogfighting.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:27 PM
Espurrs are proud.

i guess but there are ways to do that without forcing you to take up move slots for shitty moves you need to progress in the game

maybe they could have field abilities learned separately from actual moves? like you beat a gym and now you can ride pokemon that have the right check mark over water

Tags
collectathon rpgs , hawaii desu ne , manga derailing , poke-em-ups , pokemon , tapu dat ass