The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

I guess that BloodRayne game isn't coming out down here. It's a shame, because I've been playing nothing but RPGs for the past few weeks and I wanted to play something faster paced where I can just run around beating the crap out of things.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:20 AM

Picked up Aliens: Infestation last night and I'm slowly getting used to the controls. So far so good!

So the printed instruction manual basically says "go download the full manual here...". I don't have internet at home, and now that I'm at work, I can't remember the URL. Something like dl.sega.com/NDS/AliensInfestation.

Can anyone throw me a bone?

EDIT: So close: the URL in the booklet is http://dl.sega.com/manuals/NDS/AliensInfestation. Too bad it still doesn't work.

Last edited by Ted; 10-14-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:40 PM
120 Days

Made it back to the Ship with only Singh alive. I may get total party kill!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Breath of Fur

No Sigma Star mentions? I went in expecting it to be a Guardian Legend-ish game, wasn't quite that good, but I thought it was pretty alright. I liked the gun customization.

I did not like getting sucked into a poor man's R-Type every few steps and left there until I killed x number of a specific enemy though.

YOU GOT THE GIRL WINGS! WINGS LIKE A GIRL!!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 PM
120 Days

Oh and Infestation is totally like an expanded Xenophobe!
Old 10-14-2011, 07:59 AM
Sudden chomper

How important is the R button for playing Aliens Infestation? The one on my DSi is pretty spotty these days...
Old 10-14-2011, 08:46 AM

It's the run button and I use it quite a bit. I'd be somewhat annoyed if I couldn't count on it, but it might not be a deal breaker. I should defer to more experienced marines, since I'm not too far in.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Little Waves

Infestation is so, so good. The pixel art is gorgeous, the atmosphere is intense, and I'm enjoying not reloading my save when people die. Lady's watching me play it, and it's just like watching a suspenseful Aliens movie!

Imagine!
Old 10-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Eyebrow of Khonshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manna View Post
No Sigma Star mentions? I went in expecting it to be a Guardian Legend-ish game, wasn't quite that good, but I thought it was pretty alright. I liked the gun customization.

I did not like getting sucked into a poor man's R-Type every few steps and left there until I killed x number of a specific enemy though.

YOU GOT THE GIRL WINGS! WINGS LIKE A GIRL!!
I liked Sigma Star Saga. Perhaps not a genre defining title, but a solid game. I'd probably put it in my top twenty-five GBA games. I will say that I was pretty shocked at how dark it ended up being considering how cartoony the graphics and promotional images were.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Amazon says I should be getting Infestation any day now. I CANNOT WAIT.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Picked up infestation. So far I'm not very good at keeping my marines alive. The scariest moments are when cats drop out of the ceiling (seriously, everything else you can sorta of see coming cats just pop out of no where)

and, while this game is metroidesque the entire feel of the game is different. I always feel like a badass playing as Samus even when the odds are against me. With these marines? I feel like I'm only every a few steps away from being chewed up and spit out.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:13 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manna View Post
Seemed to be the worst Wayforward game except for the Wendy: Every Witch Way GBC game I played, which could have been partly due to an emulator where the backgrounds and graphics looked like an ugly, glitchy mess.

EDIT: It might have been one of the Sabrina games. It was a Wayforward game with a witch. Whatever. However, it seems the Wendy game is an homage to Metal Storm with backgrounds very similar to Shantae, so I think it was Sabrina afterall.

Last edited by Andrew; 10-14-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I about had to cut somebody.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Nothing is more powerful

Wendy is actually pretty good. The Sabrina games are, as I recall, all mediocre-to-terrible. Sigma Star Saga was good except for too many glitches and too much grinding. I'll probably wait to get Aliens until the price inevitably drops to $20, because I am a terrible person.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:47 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Picked up infestation. So far I'm not very good at keeping my marines alive. The scariest moments are when cats drop out of the ceiling (seriously, everything else you can sorta of see coming cats just pop out of no where)

and, while this game is metroidesque the entire feel of the game is different. I always feel like a badass playing as Samus even when the odds are against me. With these marines? I feel like I'm only every a few steps away from being chewed up and spit out.
Yeah I've lost lots of guys. All my initial group and I think 3 more that i've picked up, so 7-8 in total. Important to note that you don't start off with all 19 guys or whatever.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Little Waves

Private Zoe Kennedy saved the day!

I finished the game with ten out of nineteen—not that it matters much, since the game doesn't even save once you beat it, so you'll always have a "99%" file and a roster that doesn't take into account anyone dying in the final battle. The ending is also pretty nonexistant; I imagine I might have gotten a bit more dialogue if I'd had more than one person alive at the end, but unless I'm missing something, that's it.

The game also has some redundant design which seems telling of major last-minute changes. The health and ammo crates, consistently placed like precious rewards at the end of labyrinthine tunnels, are almost never needed since you're never too far from a communications room, which completely heals and restocks you upon entry. It feels like those rooms were strictly for saving and switching weapons until someone decided that made things too hard.

There are also more than enough weapon upgrades to fully upgrade everything, which left me wanting at least one more weapon before the end.

That aside, though, this game is still totally great. Gunning down encroaching Aliens while running backwards never gets old (nor does the Incinerator), and the atmosphere and suspense are on par with the first two films. Despite exploring everything very thoroughly, I actually missed a marine somewhere in there (on LV-426, I think), so I'll be playing through it at least one more time to amend that. It certainly helps that it can be beaten in just a couple of sessions.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:25 PM
120 Days

The first Queen you fight really decimated me... any tips? The 2nd boss: penis nose creature at space jockey are was easier for me, but still killed 1 of my dudes
Old 10-14-2011, 10:26 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by q 3 View Post
Wendy is actually pretty good. The Sabrina games are, as I recall, all mediocre-to-terrible. Sigma Star Saga was good except for too many glitches and too much grinding.
Okay, it's Sabriny that was awful, I guess!

Sigma Star Saga would jump about 2 points on a ten scale if there was an action replay cheat code to assure that you never, EVER end up in the ginormous slow ship. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Little Waves

Lady is really into the Knife Trick mini-game. I just like the arbitrary Commodore 64 pixel art on the title screen.

"Bishop, hey, man! Hey, not me, man!

"Ooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!"
Old 10-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
The health and ammo crates, consistently placed like precious rewards at the end of labyrinthine tunnels, are almost never needed since you're never too far from a communications room, which completely heals and restocks you upon entry. It feels like those rooms were strictly for saving and switching weapons until someone decided that made things too hard.
Yeah, I noticed this, too. I bet you're right.

Quote:
Gunning down encroaching Aliens while running backwards never gets old...
Doesn't it, though? So much fun. Sorry Mike, you're going to need that R button, buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
The first Queen you fight really decimated me... any tips?
Try this: Stand on topmost perch and blast away with the L button down. The queen is still able to punch you if she's on the leftmost platform, but it doesn't seem to happen too regularly if you're to the right of center on your platform. I was able to get by with no marine loss and about 15% health left (because I still suck).
Old 10-18-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Private Zoe Kennedy saved the day!

I finished the game with ten out of nineteen—not that it matters much, since the game doesn't even save once you beat it, so you'll always have a "99%" file and a roster that doesn't take into account anyone dying in the final battle.
I played most of the game with Kennedy, too. Just beat it last night. Man, this game! It's a keeper. Finished with 15/19 marines, with everyone found. Odd, my file says 100% before the final battle. It took me a couple of tries, but I managed to beat the final boss without dying.

Quote:
I imagine I might have gotten a bit more dialogue if I'd had more than one person alive at the end, but unless I'm missing something, that's it.
I had a full roster of four actives and I got the same thing. The ending is really rather abrupt.

I'll definitely be replaying this bad boy for years to come. I'd like to try a zero-deaths run, and also a run with as much of a girl party as possible.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Breath of Fur

Oh god, the Slow Ship in SSS. I HATED that fucking thing, especially since the game loved to spawn me in it on the 'super thin tunnels' stage, where wall impacts do massive 'real HP' damage and I die for no good reason.

In fact, I got the Slow Ship almost immediately into my second run after I had my hopes up that unlocking the Sigma Starfighter meant I could like... use it all the time.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudfooht View Post
Finished with 15/19 marines, with everyone found. Odd, my file says 100% before the final battle.
I probably just had 99% because I hadn't found Lucky, then.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:02 AM

Most likely. I can't quite remember where I picked him up; maybe somewhere in the 60-75% range, so it was probably LV-426, as you suspected.

Lucky seems pretty cool, from the brief exchange I had with him. He gives off a Dean Martin vibe, so I'd like to play as him, too. Of course, that probably means having marines intentionally killed off to make room.

So anyway, this game! It has scratched a 2D itch that I've had for a long, long time. Things were never a chore, backtracking was even-handed, and there was always an excellent sense of progress. No fluff, which I appreciate as an aging gamer. So, yeah, Infestation. Great game, definitely worth the time and money. And I'm totally drawing up some paper maps!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Breath of Fur

I should so get Infestation. Unfortunately, this was a food week.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

LOL, nice R.E.M. reference in the Aliens game. Man, this game.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Little Waves

What R.E.M. reference?
Old 10-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

In the third mission, SINGH addresses the mission control guy and says "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" Blink and you'll miss it.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:12 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

you don't need deep cleavage to have a good time!

also, Mighty Switch Force looks pretty darn fun.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:24 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

That car is totally checking out round sponge girl's chest, in any case.

I picked up Infestation, which will probably end up in my pile of shame until at next year.

Tags
barracuda moe , bozongas , contra 5? , deep cleavage , ducktales , pretty games , secret ugly babies , shantae , wayforward