The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-05-2017, 02:31 PM
This Guy

The Inhumans are great

as Fantastic Four supporting characters.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Programmed to Jingle

And also Ms. Marvel.

That's about as far as I'm willing to credit.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:01 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Sean McKeever wrote a pretty good Inhumans series back when, by dint of using no existing Inhumans characters and moving them to a totally different setting.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:46 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

Was that the one where they're like teens studying abroad. I think I read the first (only?) arc of that one, too, and do not remember it.

I am an X-"Fan" (ugggggggh) first and foremost but I bear no other teams ill will. Here's my take: super-heroes are only as good as their hair and one-piece, and the Marauders' Vertigo or one of her clones or whatever deserves her time in the sun. She's worthy of a live-action adaptation that looks dreadful.

Can't stop staring at Medusa. She's almost Merkeling.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:05 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
Was that the one where they're like teens studying abroad.
yeah, in Wisconsin. I wanna say it was abruptly cancelled in mid-arc and never heard from again.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:17 AM

I Am Groot 2 was really good! Mad props to James Gunn for actually getting the full Ego The Living Planet complete with angry face in the film. Liked Drax as the comic relief, Dave Bautista did a pretty good job with that.

Btw, there were four credit scenes.
1. Arrow'd!
2. Adam Warlock will be in Guardians 3.
3. Teen Groot
4. Stan Lee!
Old 05-06-2017, 05:59 AM
New Video World is out!

There were five credits scenes
Old 05-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
There were five credits scenes
Yeah, but the Stallone Ravagers felt pretty pointless. They can probably be cut out of the movie entirely with very little impact.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:53 PM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

There were seven hundred credits scenes.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:54 PM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

The entire movie was a mid-credits scene.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:54 PM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

Infinity war will feature a single frame of the credits between every cut.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:04 PM
oh my car

Maybe distance will bring me more insight, but at the moment, the only thing that I disliked about Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was that they leaned too heavily on Drax. There wasn't enough room to develop every character's pathos, so it's understandable that he was mostly there in a comic relief role, but there were two or three that didn't land, didn't reveal his character, and didn't really have much to relieve.

The MCU's biggest problem is an unwillingness to let the emotional moments breathe, but I did appreciate them sending that up in the scene where Mantis got knocked out, even if it was a bit cruel.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:41 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Re: Medusa:

Is that the Tron: Legacy actress? Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I thought the Gamora/Nebula arc was pretty strong, myself.
They got the best actual ending and closure.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:41 PM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Maybe distance will bring me more insight, but at the moment, the only thing that I disliked about Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was that they leaned too heavily on Drax. There wasn't enough room to develop every character's pathos, so it's understandable that he was mostly there in a comic relief role, but there were two or three that didn't land, didn't reveal his character, and didn't really have much to relieve.
Ahhh! My nipples!

So I saw this Thursday night and I liked it a lot, probably as much as the original and that rarely happens with sequels. It was funny, it had great action, and even some emotional moments (I didn't expect going into the movie that (warning, big spoiler) Yondu would die, it really bummed me out but I suppose it was earned. That was WHY it bummed me out so much. I want more Yondu...)

I do kinda feel like for most of the movie Gamora didn't really have much at all to do? Except for that one scene where she beats Nebula in a fight despite Nebula being armed with a spaceship and Gamora being armed with not-a-spaceship, but besides that I think she could have had a bit more to do throughout.

That scene in the middle where Baby Groot is being basically hazed by the Ravagers followed by a scene of him walking sadly down an empty hallway, dripping wet was the saddest freakin' thing I've ever seen.

But anyway, great movie! A++! Would see again! Will probably buy on Blu-Ray because I still buy those things for some reason.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:53 PM
This Guy

I've been thinking about it the last two days, and I like it more the more I think about it, which is a nice change from the last few years worth of Marvel movies.

My only problems with Guardians 2 are some jokes that just didn't land for me. The big one was Pac-Man during the big fight scene, which I really didn't like. I also thought the stretchy faces stuff went on for way too long to and was less funny each second it was on the screen. For as much as this movie goes for the joke, the fact that such a high percentage of them land is outstanding, but those ones that didn't really didn't for me. They are also really blase about straight up murdering a bunch of dudes and that never sits well with me. Everything else, though, I really liked.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:16 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Wait, shouldn't The Watcher be tied in with the Fantastic Four license?
Old 05-06-2017, 09:30 PM
whatever it takes

GotG 2 was great! Is it as good as the first one? I dunno. Maybe not quite, I guess? I still had a terrific time and am already looking forward to seeing it again.

The theme, obviously, is family, and while the Peter/Ego/Yondu story took center stage (and was played note-perfect, in my opinion), everyone got to explore it in their own way and find their own meaning. At first I was worried that they were writing Rocket as an idiot for comedy -- the two wink failures seemed way too dumb for him even on his worst day -- but he turned out to have a satisfying and character-driven explanation for acting the way he did. Rocket is convinced everyone he cares about (other than Groot) will eventually leave him, and the longer that process takes to play out the more painful it will be for him, so he's trying to speed it along to what he thinks is the inevitable conclusion.

Drax's ragging on Mantis' appearance (and her refusal/inability to defend herself) kind of made me frown at first, but again they went to a good place with it: Drax considers himself ugly as well, and knows that his marriage was genuine because his wife loved him in "spite" of that. He also finally found his way to a metaphor in telling her that she's beautiful on the inside!

Speaking of Mantis, I would have liked a little more characterization of her. I don't think I buy the idea that Ego's sole use for her was to help him sleep, especially since she's the sole other being he chooses to live with. More likely her ability to influence emotions was used to calm rebellious or frightened children while Ego assessed their potential and then disposed of them, and if so, the fact that she didn't come clean about that makes me a little wary about the calibration of her moral compass.

Gamora and Nebula's arc was resonant and satisfying, and jibed with what we saw of their relationship in the first movie. Less well-done were Gamora's romantic scenes with Peter; the actors have chemistry and I like them as a couple, but these scenes felt kind of bland and perfunctory? Actually, it may be a symptom of the movie's overall problem. The original GotG felt breezy and effortless in the way that it flowed, but Vol. 2 seems like it's consciously working harder to get where it needs to go. It's nowhere near the level of awkward kludge that Age of Ultron was, but it still lacks elegance. It was a subtle but noticeable issue for me, but also one that I'm not sure how to fix. Like I said, though, still a great time at the movies.

I desperately hope some variation of the following exchange takes place in Infinity War:

TONY: Yeah listen space cadet, I'm sure you're an expert on Klingons or whatever, but a lot's changed here on Earth since 1987.
PETER: Hah, shows what you know, smart guy! My connections keep me up to date on all the latest Earth tech. I even have a Zune like everyone el--
TONY: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY SHIT HAHAHAHAHAHA I CAN'T BREATHE HAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAA
PETER: It... it holds three hundred--
TONY: WAIT WAIT WAIT HOLD ON I HAVE TO GO CALL EVERYONE I'VE EVER MET

Quote:
Yeah, but the Stallone Ravagers felt pretty pointless. They can probably be cut out of the movie entirely with very little impact.
Maybe you're already aware, but those characters and Yondu were the original Guardians of the Galaxy team, so at the least it was a fun nod to the comics history. Word is that Marvel wants to do more with Stallone's character in the future, so presumably they're going somewhere with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Wait, shouldn't The Watcher be tied in with the Fantastic Four license?
Apparently the licensing deal gives Fox the rights to Uatu specifically, but Marvel retains the rights to Watchers in general other than him. Or at least that's what everyone's saying. There are also persistent rumors that Marvel did in fact quietly reacquire the FF license in exchange for the X-Men TV rights (which allowed Fox to produce Legion), but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

BRING ON THE SPIDERED MAN
Old 05-06-2017, 10:48 PM

Re: Vaeryn's spoilers

Yeah The Zune joke was AMAZING! I think that was the first time I've thought about a Zune in nearly a decade, and to see someone who flies around the galaxy that geeked out over something that holds 300 songs was great and major props to Chris #3 for making me think someone was ever actually excited to get a Zune.

And yeah, Mary Poppins will always be cool.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:45 AM
You want a toe?

Quote:
As mentioned, Along with Yondu, that was the original Guardians of the Galaxy: Starhawk, Charlie-27, Aleta Ogard, Martinex, Mainframe, and Krugarr. James Gunn has been quoted as saying that there are plans to use them in the future, it just hasn't been decided how or when.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:16 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Sean McKeever wrote a pretty good Inhumans series back when, by dint of using no existing Inhumans characters and moving them to a totally different setting.
IIRC that was Sean McKeever's entire MO - ignoring the established bullshit to tell his own stories. I miss his stuff.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:08 AM
poisonous thread snake

Glad to hear they're really gonna do Warlock in some form or another. Was worried they'd really try to do an Infinity story without him.

Medusa does look pretty goofy, which is a shame- she looks pretty "regal matriarch," but I've always thought of her more as a dangerous badass (not that those are mutually exclusive). She was/is my favorite of the Inhumans. I hope she'll at least get to wear her cool domino mask.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Not a Beer

Saw GotG2. It was good, though I'm not sure I liked it quite as much as the first. Lots of good fun though.

I kind of wish I could find a cam-shot or something of the post-credits team of Stallone's Ravagers/Original Guardians, as I've been wiki-diving all those characters and can only remember what half of them looked like on-screen. Apparently there's a future android version of Iron Man being voiced by Miley Cyrus?? Okay.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Finally got round to Logan. I like a lot of this picture -- the grimy Children of Men near future, the Straw Dogs homage in the middle -- but holy shit, it's like popping a balloon, all the air goes right out of it once they whack Charles.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:19 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Glad to hear they're really gonna do Warlock in some form or another. Was worried they'd really try to do an Infinity story without him.
That still seems to be the case. It's been confirmed that he'll be a major part of Vol 3, but that's past Infinity War (and maybe even past Avengers 4: Spoiler Title?) I'm just disappointed that, whether he shows up for Avengers 4 or not, his relationship with the Soul Gem has been removed. The two were inseparable all the way down to their conceptual level, so it's sad to see that aspect gone.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:29 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Well, we only hear the HP talking about creating him. Maybe she runs into a snafu making the guy, and after the fallout of INFINITY WAR she somehow acquires the Soul Stone which then drags the GotG back in. It's not like the IW movies are going to destroy the stones. Probably.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:54 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
That still seems to be the case. It's been confirmed that he'll be a major part of Vol 3, but that's past Infinity War (and maybe even past Avengers 4: Spoiler Title?) I'm just disappointed that, whether he shows up for Avengers 4 or not, his relationship with the Soul Gem has been removed. The two were inseparable all the way down to their conceptual level, so it's sad to see that aspect gone.
I agree to a point, in that I think it's weird to do an Infinity story sans Warlock just by virtue of the fact that he's at the center of all those plots. In that respect, I'm glad to see that he's in.

Other than that, I think Warlock is kind of a humorless dick lacking in any real appeal as a character. I'm not aware of him having featured in anything interesting outside of Starlin's stuff. If Starlin wasn't a bonafide acid-fried weirdo who could draw his ass off I'm not sure I'd care.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Find Your Reason

That's because he only works when he's paired with or opposed by passionate, outspoken cohorts, teammates, and foes. That's also why he was a lackluster character until Starlin came in, gave him a purpose, and a nemesis in Thanos (who, IMO, is also more Starlin's child than anyone else's.) He's also a very high-concept character, dealing with abstract philosophies and, yeah, acid trips, hence his intrinsic connection to the Soul Gem --to the point the singular Soul Gem was retconned into the six Soul Gems and into the Infinity Gems thereafter.

I haven't read his run in the Guardians --I lost track of him after The End and I only caught up with him at the onset of The Thanos Imperative, by which time he was Magus again-- but the later Infinity series (Revelation, Entity, and Finale) was vintage Starlin and finally, I feel, completed Warlock's arc. Which is another reason I was following Ultimates 2 so religiously other than the Megatenn escalation.

Comics Vision was very similar. He was far too humorless to carry most readers through his absolute mess of an arc, but the MCU made him work. I was thinking Warlock might get a similar chance, but with him being completely alien (traveler of the stars as he was, he still thought of Earth as his home, and retained some measure of humanity) and removed from the always-hungry Soul Gem, I have no idea what his character will look like.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:50 PM
Little Waves

Vol. 2. The extended sequence of Yondu raising absolute hell with his love-powered whistle arrow—from a bird's-eye view, in the dark, on monitors, and on and on—while "Come a Little Bit Closer" plays is the new high-water mark for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The similar scene in the first movie was the best part of that one, so that but more was exactly what I wanted. And in retrospect, the fact that we got to have that makes his death a lot easier to handle.

Overall, the film is a little too belabored and self-indulgent, but I can forgive a lot in return for the above.

Best joke:
"I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!"

Best joke no one laughed at:
YONDU: You steal batteries you don't need...
ROCKET (deadpan): That was mostly Drax.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:53 PM
King Of Space-Time

I saw this...

Goddammit, who put all these feels in my action comedy!

I HAVE SEVERAL THINGS IN MY EYE
Old 05-08-2017, 10:13 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Best joke no one laughed at:
YONDU: You steal batteries you don't need...
ROCKET (deadpan): That was mostly Drax.
I think I was the only one at the showing I went to to laugh at that.

Tags
brodude cinema , car door shield , cheadlicious , horny for lewis tan , horny for spider-man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , mehhumans , movies , parker posey as , stan lee cameo