The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 11-06-2018, 09:37 AM
HAMKING

Sweatboi after Saturday’s workout

Quadbeefs

Old 11-06-2018, 11:22 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

NICE

it's a deload week for me, I've been running Madcow 5x5 for 7 straight weeks with no break and the back was feeling crunchy. Then I pick up with another 8 week high-rep program from Lift Big Eat Big.

Then I fucking GO to GODDAMN NORWAY with my boy the first full week of January.

after that, I'm gonna probably do Madcow for a few weeks, take a weeklong break, then do the final part of the high rep trilogy. after all that, I'll evaluate in the spring what's next. might return to alternating heavy weeks and high rep weeks, 5 days a week
Old 11-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I've done the following the past few times:

Bench 105: 4 x 5
Seated dip 160: 4 x 10
Random leg crap: 20 minutes
Torso 80: 4 x 10
Rowing machine: 15-20 minutes

I'm going to bump up the bench a little this week either in weight or reps (probably reps).
Old 11-13-2018, 09:48 AM
HAMKING

Holy shit GODDAMN NORWAY! Awesome.

@Balrog: what kind of leg stuff are you doing? Also, good job consistently gettin' after it! That's the game, right there.

---

Two weeks of Krypteia down. It is gassing me, but I can tell this is going to be what I needed. If I can keep this up I'll cruise into the spring rugby season a much more useful player!

I was in charge of practice last Thursday and I introduced the pack players to car pushing. That was a good time!
Old 11-13-2018, 02:46 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

About to swing that kettlebell. I need it, since I missed exercise yesterday.

Obviously I'm gonna be listening to that Irving Force album. It makes me want to move stuff faster.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:59 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokrap of Croton View Post
@Balrog: what kind of leg stuff are you doing? Also, good job consistently gettin' after it! That's the game, right there.
Usually the leg press and leg extension (if my knee isn't bothering me) or I'll do the two machines where you either squeeze or push out with your thighs. I've only seen women on the latter machines but I kinda just pick whatever is open with leg stuff.

I've hit 410 on the leg press but my knee was sore afterwards so I kinda dialed that back lol.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:21 PM
HAMKING

Finished week one of my second Krypteia cycle. Still getting it done on time!

Here’s me looking constipated pulling on the trap bar.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:07 PM
We just don't know.

Welp, I'm finally back at the gym. Had enough of gaining weight and watching my body fall apart. Signed up yesterday and did a quick run-through of my major lifts to kinda wake my body up.

Was doing some light deadlifts and something in my back went STOP all of a sudden and now I'm in pain.

Fuck me
Old 11-27-2018, 09:00 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Kinda doing the same stuff. The gym has been super busy since I've been going earlier and less stuff is open. Oh well.

Bench 105: 4 x 5
Seated dip 160: 4 x 10
Incline bench machine 90: 4 x 10
Torso 80: 4 x 10
Rowing machine: 20 minutes
Treadmill: 20 minutes

Also, I started playing soccer in a league with some guys from work and being sore from that for a day or two after a game/games has jacked up my schedule.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:44 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Paul is your back ok or are you still feeling the pain? I hope you didn't do anything major.

I did a shorter (about 30 minutes) workout the past two evenings. I'm doing three of my standard kettlebell circuits (which I've described a number of times in this thread), and after that's done, I alternate two-handed swings and overhead press. The past couple of times I've squeezed in 250 swings, and five sets of overhead press (8 reps with each hand per set).

Doing all of this with the 24 kg kettlebell. Seems pretty good for a short workout. I'd like to start pushing this one a bit harder, try to get more reps in there.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:51 PM
We just don't know.

Back seems to be okay now, the pain died down over just a day or two. A little tight, maybe? I'm definitely gonna go easy on it going forward (and am planning on checking out a chiropractor either way). But I had a sword practice in the interim and didn't notice any troubles. I also went for a push day but had to settle for leg press since it was after work and all the squat apparatuses were Taken Forever. But it feels good to be picking up heavy things and putting them down again (albeit not nearly as heavy as I once could).
Old 12-01-2018, 11:04 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I'm not as buff as I used to be either. It's gonna be a long time. But I'm trying to find ways to adapt to the new lifestyle.

I did my "short" workout again yesterday, which was the third time this week. It entails three of my standard kettlebell circuits (which I've detailed in here a number of times in the past), and then as many sets as I need to do 250 swings, with overhead press sets in between. So currently that means 6 sets of swings with 5 sets of overhead press (8 reps per hand). It's meant to be a 30 minute workout. Yesterday I completed my goal in a little over 28 minutes, so I threw in an extra set of high pulls for good measure. I think my goal is gonna be to try and get 50 swings per set, so that I'm doing 300 swings within the time limit.

So yeah, today when I did my normal kettlebell and planks workout with the 45 pounder, I felt pretty much defeated as soon as I started. Oh, I did the whole workout, but I had to take longer breaks to do it. Oh well. Like Mokrap has said before, half ass is better than no ass.

Last edited by Sir Sly Ry; 12-02-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:44 AM
HAMKING

Glad your back is better, Paul!

Good work, Balrog, at being consistent despite a busy schedule!

Ryan is totally right about ass amounts! Way to hang.

—-

Friday night I saw Ghost with my wife, my brother, and a rugby teammate. It was a blast! Such a blast that I woke up with a terrific hangover! Guess what? DON’T SKIP WORKOUTS FOR HANGOVERS.

It was rough at first, but I did the Krypteia squat workout with some time to spare and felt much better for it.

The hardest part, as it always is when I feel under the weather, was just making myself get out there under the bar. It’s always worth it, and the work is the reward. Seems like a good time to link this wonderful piece again: https://startingstrength.com/article...over_starr.pdf
Old 12-05-2018, 10:23 PM
We just don't know.

Back day! I started with deadlifts, being very careful about my back. I dunno if it's because I was focusing so hard on that, or if I've lost my form, or both, but I could do very little weight compared to what I used to. I mean, my lifts are down across the board, since it's been a couple years, but percentage wise that was the most drastic, possibly because it was always my best lift. Oh well! Slow and steady and healthy wins the race. My other back stuff - lat pulldowns, face pulls, standing rows (god I even forget all the names) went pretty well! yaaaay, The Gym!
Old 12-05-2018, 10:44 PM

Yaaay! The gym.

Hit 315 for 20 on the squat. Sucks to my assmar, indeed. Very tough but also rock and roll.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:53 AM
HAMKING

Yaaaay deload week!

Good work Paul: the PATH OF STEEL is a marathon, brother. You are being wise.

Very nice, indeed, Galahad!

--

As for myself, I am just doing conditioning and yoga this week. Lots of work on the rowing machine, car push sprints, humping the weighted vest up and down hills, etc. I have my last rugby match of the fall season Saturday and will resume lifting the next week. With a little time off from practice I will really look to push my strength and conditioning over the winter.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:04 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

ughhhh today's chest and shoulders high rep workout included 100 reps of DB flyes with minimal breaks and 100 reps of neutral grip DB presses with minimal breaks and I am going to be SO sore tomorrow am.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:08 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

My short workout I got done with like 3 minutes to spare. I was like "did I skip a set or something?" but I think I was keeping track just fine. Did an extra set of high pulls (woof, those were not easy) and an extra 25 swings. If I could get up to 50 swings per set, I could get 300 swings in, overhead press in between. I bet I could do that and still have an extra minute or two to find one more set of something to throw in within the 30 minute time limit.

Man, those swings though. Don't underestimate swings.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:44 AM
HAMKING

@uudd: Yeah, I imagine you are enjoying glorious DOMS right about now, hoss.

@Ry: Way to get after it! I did a kb swing workout myself last night. Did 5 circuits of 10, 15, 35, 50 with the 1.5 pood for a total of 500. Those sets of 50 are great for grip!

Last edited by Mokrap of Croton; 12-11-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:28 PM
HAMKING

Taking another week off from heavy lifting as I rolled my ankle pretty good playing rugby Saturday. Had a great time, though, played a good match and enjoyed some great fellowship.

Tomight I ran through 10 rounds of 20 swings with the 72# bell and 10 medium band pushups. Really pushed it amd got up a good sweat. Now for more ice and elevation.

From Saturday, pre-kickoff:

SKY’S OUT, THIGHS OUT

Tags
#assbutt , anatoly comin' , believe in yo'self , body explosion , brodin , bulk up for the big game , butt-glutes , deca dick , do you even clean , fightingroad! , hamglue , i'm gonna boo boo , jotunheim , king of bench , lifting buddha , lifting is not a sport , maximum goku , maximus claw , muscle bomber , paul is dead