The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Old 10-29-2018, 04:35 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
the boss of Hekichi Plateau.
I can't bring myself to hate that boss, but the fact that it has a OHKO attack of sorts is surely why I was able to remember which boss you were talking about without remembering which stage it was. I think that boss was the point where I really totally understood what the game was trying to do, because I think it's the first one where its Konami influence is fully worn on its sleeve -- compare to Granfaloon/Legion from Castlevania, the final boss of Rocket Knight Adventures, and at least a few Contra Hard Corps bosses that I can't recall with enough specificity right now.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:35 PM

The Hekichi Plateau boss was one of the biggest roadblocks I encountered while playing through Zangyou mode. In part this was because the boss itself seemed to be considerably more difficult than it was in Normal mode, and in part because the stage itself is much more difficult, so replaying the stage whenever I ran out of lives would take a while.

Zangyou mode is interesting in that it remixes the ordinary stages and even the boss fights in interesting and challenging new ways, and then does something entirely new in the last stage. The final boss fight took me several attempts to get past, though; it didn't help that dying required me to replay each stage of the fight. It was a pretty good final boss, though, and I liked that Zangyou mode had its own goofy storyline and cutscenes. I laughed at "Bravo! Who is this?"

I answered "I want more" to the final question, which seems to have opened up Omake mode. I've played through a couple stages of that, but aside from starting with only one heart, it seems to be similar to normal mode. I thought maybe its gimmick was that it would force me to go through the game without taking any damage, but it turns out you can buy more heart containers pretty easily, so I'm not sure exactly what makes Omake different from normal mode, except that I was able to keep all my weapons from Zangyou mode.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:43 PM
Fifth Business

Omake mode does indeed have SUBSTANTIAL NEW CONTENT, but it's very easy to go through the entire game without encountering any of it.

If you want an idea of how to find that new content...starting with all the weapons is more significant than it seems. Having weapons and the jetpack in levels where you previously wouldn't have had them can allow you to Do Things and Reach Places you normally couldn't. Trying to suss out these opportunities can be rewarding, but there is no shame in checking a list if you need because they can be devious, and discovering them is actually only the beginning of what Omake mode's got going on.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:51 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

Do you want to spoil it? Googling is helping little.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:09 AM
Fifth Business

It's been awhile for me to give specific advice of the exact spots from memory, but I believe you reach the first one, anyway, by using the fan weapon to break a bridge's floor planks early in the first level, then drop on in underneath the bridge and see what's down below.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:42 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

You can also watch brickroads lets play. I think he plays through all three modes and also through the hidden places in omake mode.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:18 AM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

Yeah, I think I did all those, was just making sure I wasn't missing anything
Old 11-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I think I have this from a Humble Bundle but never claimed it? More investigation is necessary, but in the meantime I have played Pink Hour and it was adorable until I unlocked the hard mode and wow. I also did the first stage of Pink Heaven and it was a lot more involved - I should pick that back up.
I did, I did already have a key for this! I'm playing it now! The laser is powerful!
Old 11-10-2018, 07:25 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Man, I'm starting to hate Bruhaha Hospital.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:01 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
I loved Kero Blaster pretty immediately, but Overtime/Zangyou mode is what made fall, like, in love with it. It's so far beyond what usually counts as a 'hard mode', somehow also being a full remix, expansion pack, and sorta-sequel to the normal mode all in one, and I especially loved that it ended up having a genuinely all-new last level and final boss. It really is a full half (or more, since you'll probably need more time to beat it) of the experience, so even if somebody doesn't usually try hard modes, try this one!
I picked this up again because of this!

It really is basically a sequel to Normal Mode.

The Snow Level is reminding me that this is definitely by the same guy who put Hell into Cave Story though. It's not as hard as that, but . . . it's tough. It helps that this is also the level where enemies start to frequently drop 50 gold at a time (a big jump from 1 or 10), so even a losing run means that you get to do a lot of upgrades.

I think I said this in whatever other thread where I commented on beating Normal Mode, but for me this is Amaya Daisuke's best game. I do love Cave Story, but I think it's an excellent twitchy arcade shooter attached to an awkward pseudo-Metroidvania with too much needless back tracking. So, for me, Kero Blaster is just laser focused on perfecting my favorite elements of Cave Story, while cutting out all the cruft.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
It really is basically a sequel to Normal Mode.

The Snow Level is reminding me that this is definitely by the same guy who put Hell into Cave Story though. It's not as hard as that, but . . . it's tough. It helps that this is also the level where enemies start to frequently drop 50 gold at a time (a big jump from 1 or 10), so even a losing run means that you get to do a lot of upgrades.
Yes, depending on how you view Zangyou Mode, this is a game that includes either its own sequel or its own romhack. I do like the way that Zangyou mode represents a sort of quantum leap in difficulty compared to normal mode (in that you're playing a game with a platform-to-pit ratio more akin to a classic platformer) while also having a satisfying difficulty curve to it. The first few stages are pretty much just somewhat tougher versions of the normal game stages, but by the end you really need to have a good grasp of the game's physics and the way the jetpack works. Now that I think of it, the Zangyou mode stages deviate more and more from their Normal mode counterparts the farther you get, too. I really liked the way that worked out. I found that this encouraged me to keep playing and push on through the more difficult areas, because by the time I'd started to get frustrated, I was interested in seeing how far Zangyou mode would diverge from Normal.

I've also played a bit of Omake Mode, and while I really like the concept, it's a little more difficult than I'm willing to deal with, or maybe it's just that the difficulty is of a type that I'm less willing to deal with. I really like the concept of going "outside" the level's usual geometry, since it reminds me of playing Metroid on the NES; specifically, the way that game would let you bomb yourself out of bounds and run around exploring an endless series of corridors. Unfortunately, I keep falling to my death while trying to figure out what I can and can't walk on, and since the glitchy area seems to count as a single "screen," having to redo the whole thing every time I die is beyond annoying. That said, it's a really intriguing concept, and every so often I'll forget about the frustration and go back to make a little more progress.