The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 09-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Mad Overlord

I've listened to a lot of gaming podcasts over the years, but a couple of months ago, I moved to a new place much closer to work, which cut my driving/podcast listening time way, way down, so I culled out most of the ones I had subscribed to. ListenUP, 1UP FM, RebelFM, Bombcast, Podtoid, Player One, CAGCast, Into the Score, Joystiq, IGN podcasts, PC Gamer Podcast (UK), and Gamers With Jobs all got the axe either at that time or before it.

I'm just tired of the whole "four guys sit around and rehash the week's gaming news and whatever new releases just came out" format, so unless either the personalities or the discussion topics are especially entertaining, I don't bother.

At this point, I'm down to just five that I'm actively listening to:

-Retronauts (Naturally, since it's the reason I started listening to podcasts in the first place, and is still always entertaining. I miss the old format, but understand why it had to be done. Everyone on this board probably already knows why it's so good, so no more needs to be said.)

-RetroforceGO (A bit less knowledgeable than RN, but makes up for it with enthusiasm, humor, and genuine love for games. The cast also has good chemistry and a nice mix of recognizable and easily distinguishable voices. They also do a weekly roundup of the games on all the download services, which I appreciate. They just hit 100 episodes, and sometimes get a bit too caught up in their in-jokes to be ideal for new listeners, though. I also always fast-forward through the terrible "intermission" segment.

-Rock, Paper, Shotgun Electronic Wireless Show (Helps ease my Brodeo withdrawal by featuring a mix of genuinely interesting and funny people talking about PC games among other topics. I only like half of the episodes, though, since each one only features two out of RPS's four writers, alternating between pairs. The ones with John Walker and Jim Rossignol are incredible, funny, and some of the best podcasts I've ever heard, while the ones with Kieron Gillen and Alec Meer I just can't get through. I enjoy their writing, but their British accents are much thicker, and it takes too much constant, focused brainpower for me to decode what they're saying.)

-Out of the Game (Also helps with Brodeo withdrawal by featuring Jeff and Shawn being their entertaining selves, though the episodes where one or both don't show up tend to drag.)

-A Life Well Wasted (There's nothing else like it, and it does a fascinating job of providing exploratory views of particular gaming subcultures. The editing/production values are mostly nice, but other times get overbearing and distract from the content).

Pretty much all of the ones I like have irregular or infrequent posting schedules (RFGo is usually the reliable weekly one, but it's going on hiatus for a while after hitting 100 episodes). Even with my shorter commute, the well is running dry, so I'm going to have to add another one to the mix. I'm thinking of trying Idle Thumbs, BitMob podcast, the Penny Arcade D&D ones, or Good Grief after the recommendations in this thread, or possibly Rum Doings (John Walker's new side project) or the EA podcast Jeff Green is doing. Has anybody listened to either of those yet?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:06 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

I've dropped most of my old gaming podcasts and added some new (to me) news and story shows.

My current lineup is:

The Bugle (The London Times' comedy news show with John Oliver. Pure awsome.)
ExtraLife Radio
Final Score (just one update months ago, but it's worth a listen)
The Moth (stories told on stage with no notes)
NPR Story of the Day
NPR Wait Wait ... Don't Tell Me
Savage Love
This American Life
You Look Nice Today (mostly improvised comedy discussions)
ListenUp (On thin ice)
and of course, Retronauts.

Based on the above tastes, any recommendations?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:34 PM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolfe View Post
PS: even if you hate the inside jokes, do listen to their first PAX standalone. They interview/talk to Ron Gilbert, the PAX keynote speaker.
The Wizaaaaaaaaaaard has been a staple of the gaming table for months. If you have to start somewhere in the middle, episode 18, Citizen Killzone stands out in my memory. Maybe it's a good place to start!

Or you could just start at episode 5, The Wizard.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 PM

Does that one have the Letter to Edge song in it? That's a fantastic song.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
Idle Thumbs, ..., the Penny Arcade D&D ones
Do try these. The PA DnD ones are great, there's been two 'sessions' and they're just starting the third. It's not about gaming current events, it's just listening in on a really fun/funny DnD session.

Also, all the Idle Thumbs songs are available for download off their site.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:43 PM
"Jory"

A new season of Radiolab has just started up. Please go and listen to it, now now now!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain142 View Post
I've dropped most of my old gaming podcasts and added some new (to me) news and story shows.

My current lineup is:

The Bugle (The London Times' comedy news show with John Oliver. Pure awsome.)
ExtraLife Radio
Final Score (just one update months ago, but it's worth a listen)
The Moth (stories told on stage with no notes)
NPR Story of the Day
NPR Wait Wait ... Don't Tell Me
Savage Love
This American Life
You Look Nice Today (mostly improvised comedy discussions)
ListenUp (On thin ice)
and of course, Retronauts.

Based on the above tastes, any recommendations?
Jordan, Jesse, Go! is a two guys plus guest talking about stuff show, a bit similar to You Look Nice Today and The Bugle. They actually tour with You Look Nice Today as Monsters of Podcasting.

New Yorker: Fiction is one classic short story a month read and then discussed by a contemporary short fiction author. It's pretty great if you're into that kind of stuff.

The best way to describe Wiretap with Jonathan Goldstein is that it's This American Life but scripted and Canadian. Jonathan used to work for This American Life and still contributes frequently, so if you're a fan of that you may have heard some of his stuff before. It's not actually an official podcast as of yet, but you can listen on the cbc website or download episodes here.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:43 AM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecBebop View Post
A new season of Radiolab has just started up. Please go and listen to it, now now now!
At dinner last night a good friend of mine mentioned this - turns out we've both been listening to RadioLab for about a year and somehow never figured out the other one did. This makes me happy.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:00 PM
bad at lurking

I would definitely NOT listen to the new Radiolab anywhere near dinner... It's kinda gross (but awesome!).
Old 09-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

I'm late to the party, but here's mine:

Anime World Order - Two guys and a gal talk about a lot of obscure and historical anime. Pretty well researched and kinda funny. I met their guy Daryl several time at Florida conventions, and they've even answered an e-mail and phone call of mine.

Get Equipped With Podcast - A Mega Man 2 remix band from Los Angeles talks about their lives in between concerts and recordings. Their album "Get Equipped" is nice, but the podcast is pretty random and off topic.

Gamecritics - Tries to be an intellectual discussion of games. Sometimes they get close to the games-as-art question. The personalities aren't always amusing, but they try to make every episode meaningful.

Inside Renewable Energy - Dry talk about getting money to do large clean energy projects. I usually only listen to a few minutes of each episode, but I keep the feed going because they cover a lot of different angles.

Others: Retronauts, CNN, WSJ, WUSF (Florida news from NPR). Used to get Kojima Productions Report.

Last edited by Vega; 09-10-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:57 AM
bad at lurking

I just started listening to Fourcast, a futurist-lite show featuring podcasting/tech/geek all-stars.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:33 PM
A No.1

I'm really digging Science Friday. It's the kind of podcast I was originally looking for when I stumbled upon Radio Lab.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Ugh

Episode 27(DQ VIII) of Into the Score is pretty boss. Although it is making me jones for some DQ VIII.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 AM
A No.1

I just downloaded that one last night - I should listen to it at some point today.

Which reminds me, I listened to Into the Score for the first time on Sunday and it is great and you guys should listen to it.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:55 AM
gatchapon 3*

Pronouns: he/him

i need new general talky podcasts to listen to, now that wtp and 1up yours are down for the count.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:15 AM
A No.1

Most people tend to go with the Giant Bombcast for that outside of 1up. I enjoyed it much more than 1up Yours, although I don't really listen to it anymore, either.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain142 View Post
I just started listening to Fourcast, a futurist-lite show featuring podcasting/tech/geek all-stars.
It's been hit-and-miss for me so far. But I still look forward to it. I just downloaded the latest episode.

Other ones I've been listening to lately:
Stuff You Should Know has a huge archive of interesting topics to raid.
Wil Wheaton's podcasts featuring excerpts from his Trek book are pretty great.
You Look Nice Today continues to be the best thing.
Various C-Net podcasts, particularly Gadgettes, fill in whenever I need an extra podcast hit.
Richard Dawkins has a rarely-updated video podcast that's pretty cool, particularly the episodes in the Galapagos.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:47 PM
I say thee neigh

IDLE THUMBS!?!?

IDLE THUMBS CAN YOU HEAR ME!?!?!?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-------------*
Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 PM

Nooooooooo why did they have to remind me why I like them in the same episode they announced they were winding it up
Old 10-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

Yeah, hearing that the idle thumbs podcast is (probably) ending sucks. I don't have high hopes for it coming back.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:47 PM
What Time Is It?

Oh maaaaan. Now I'm just gonna have their 2 new podcasts sitting unlistened to because I'll be SAVING them for some reason.

Idle Thumbs along with Jordan Jessie Go! (outside of Retronauts, of course!) are probably my favorite podcasts that come out relatively frequently.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Getting Equipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
Which reminds me, I listened to Into the Score for the first time on Sunday and it is great and you guys should listen to it.
I used to listen to this, but he has this tendency to go off on boring tangents and get basic facts wrong about the games he's looking at.

What we need is a Chiptuned podcast.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:03 PM
you can't win them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
IDLE THUMBS!?!?

IDLE THUMBS CAN YOU HEAR ME!?!?!?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-------------*

i really hope something can come along and fill the void quickly like idle thumbs did for gfw radio, but that's like expecting your football team to draft three straight hall of fame quarterbacks or something.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Born in the USA

David Ellis has a new show coming in the Listen Up feed. Assuming you didn't listen to that show for Garnett.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
David Ellis has a new show coming in the Listen Up feed. Assuming you didn't listen to that show for Garnett.
Did something happen with Garnett? I've been out of the 1UP Family loop for awhile now.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Born in the USA

He got a new job with Shacknews in LA.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:12 AM
clean cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
Yeah, hearing that the idle thumbs podcast is (probably) ending sucks. I don't have high hopes for it coming back.
Wait, huh? I have their latest in the queue... this is big news! Sad news .
Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 AM
To the Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Bavis View Post
Wait, huh? I have their latest in the queue... this is big news! Sad news .
Yeah, I haven't had time to listen to podcasts for a few weeks, so I'm out of the loop but...damn, that really sucks. Why is it ending? Are they just moving on to bigger and better things?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:26 AM
100% All Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by willm137 View Post
Yeah, I haven't had time to listen to podcasts for a few weeks, so I'm out of the loop but...damn, that really sucks. Why is it ending? Are they just moving on to bigger and better things?
Nick got hired as a community manager for Bethesda and I guess he's moving? (I don't remember.) I'm pretty disappointed, and I hope their forum explodes enough to convince them to keep it up. They did say that Idle Thumbs MIGHT live on in some format, but I want my podcast, dammit!
Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 AM
A No.1

Yeah, this is incredibly sad news. Idle Thumbs is by far my favorite podcast out there.

I mean, obviously I'm happy for Nick, but...

Tags
beef-out , podcast , recommendations , the new radio , whats up hot dog