The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 12-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

I'm sure I've asked this before, but is there a way to see what's available on Marvel Unlimited without having a subscription? I'm thinking about asking for it for Christmas, but wanna know if it'd be worth my time.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:29 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Thereís a free one week trial, you could sign up and check through that.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Senhor Member

Thereís enough content. Too much content. If youíd just like broad information, they have complete runs of most of their most famous titles and... everything from the last 11 or so years, with a six month delay. Is there a character/team/creator youíre particularly in to?
Old 12-03-2018, 04:36 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
I'm sure I've asked this before, but is there a way to see what's available on Marvel Unlimited without having a subscription? I'm thinking about asking for it for Christmas, but wanna know if it'd be worth my time.
If you download the app to a tablet or whatever, you can use the App's good search function. (And also get a week's free trial subscription to test it out.)

You can also just browse it on any web browser, but the web browser UI is kind of bad, especially for a long series. (Because of this, it's much definitely a better deal if you have a tablet you want to read comics on, in my opinion. It's harder to recommend if you want to only read on a web browser)

They also put up free issues here.

The short answer is that everything from the mid-2000s when the service started is available (excluding a small number of books marketed for adults only, like the original Jessica Jones series). And before then, honestly basically all the major books are up.

The biggest gaps are probably spin-off series in the 70s-90s. So, for example, you can read every issue of Uncanny X-Men or Amazing Spider-Man or Avengers, but there are still some major gaps in say X-Factor and Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man and West Coast Avengers.

They add maybe 10-20 older issues each week, in addition to whatever new stuff came out 6 months ago that gets added to the service.

It's . . . a lot of Content.

Uhhh, a caveat in asking for it as a present is that The Giver has to have to a Marvel account to give it as a present. It's . . . kind of dumb. They should just let you buy a digital code to give someone so that teens can ask less technologically savvy adults to get them an MU subscription gift card.

edit: Hmmm, Googling it, it's even more complicated. It seems they removed even the option of giving an MU gift subscription in May and I don't see it back. So . . . it appears that the only way to ask for "an Unlimited gift subscription" would be to ask for "$69 USD". Very stupid!
Old 12-03-2018, 04:47 PM
Senhor Member

Very stupid.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:50 PM
Dinger!

Okay, thanks! Basically, what I want to know is "Can I read Walt Simonson's Thor, late 60s/early 70s Spider-Man and Chris Priestley's Black Panther?" but if there's no gift option, then whatever.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:52 PM
Senhor Member

Yes. five characters
Old 12-03-2018, 06:14 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Default the library advocate has logged on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
Okay, thanks! Basically, what I want to know is "Can I read Walt Simonson's Thor, late 60s/early 70s Spider-Man and Chris Priestley's Black Panther?" but if there's no gift option, then whatever.
Oh, FYI, if you're in the US or Canada and have access to a library that gives access to materials on Hoopla, you can read all of Priestley's Black Panther digitally through that. (And it's in 4 huge volumes, so even if it's a low budget library system that only gives card holders a few Hoopla loans/month, it's still unlikely you would have to wait for them to renew.)

Marvel's Hoopla selection is kind of stingy compared to other major publishers (probably because of Unlimited), but that's one of their complete series on it.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:23 PM
Dinger!

Oh weird, I didn't realize Hoopla did comics.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:23 AM
poisonous thread snake

Pronouns: un-/non-/it

Anyone see those illustrations for Alex Ross's Fantastic Four pitch? I mostly can't stand Ross' work for a variety of reasons but that FF stuff is *chef's kiss*
Old 12-21-2018, 10:28 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Finished reading Charles Soule's run on She-Hulk. It feels very much in the mold of Dan Slott's run (and that makes me wish he actually resolved some of the threads left dangling at the end of that series) and has some great Javier Pulido art (he does a great job in injecting some Kirby-style energy in the action scenes). I don't have much to say beyond that. Except wait, what happened to Nightwatch at the end of the series. I mean, I assume he went to jail for hiring criminals to rough up She-Hulk but... does the world now know he rewrote history in order to move from supervillain to superhero?

I do like that the only thing Shocker was upset about was that he didn't take him with him to the side of the angels without having to do redemption.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:30 AM
Mystery Contraption

ďRise up, Demon! You have pursued me only to find death! And when I amthrough with you, you will welcome it. For I am he who is calledó Bill!Ē

This isnít news, but the Simonson Run is so good
Old 12-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

I just picked up the hardcover editions of Darth Vader (2017) vol 1, as well as Spider-Man/Deadpool, which was kind of an impulse but one I don't regret.

I loved the first run of Vader comics, so I have high hopes for this one!
Old 12-24-2018, 09:32 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Spidey: School's Out is weird. They make a point of this taking place in a Marvel(tm) Continuity (Peter is in high school, he's dating Gwen and his best friend is teen James Franco) but it really wants to take place in the Homecoming Universe (Peter goes to Stark camp, befriends Ned and Michelle) even though they obviously don't have the license (or at least I think that's why Ned and Michelle are now named Ganke - the irony! - and... Giorgiana?!?). That the villains are Shocker (who suddenly is black) and his boss Vulture (who wants to steal and resell Stark tech) just reinforces the idea that this began as a Homecoming adaptation.

Oh, well, I'm just here for the Todd Nauck art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
I just picked up the hardcover editions of Darth Vader (2017) vol 1, as well as Spider-Man/Deadpool, which was kind of an impulse but one I don't regret.

I loved the first run of Vader comics, so I have high hopes for this one!
So what did you think? Personally I don't think it was half as strong as the original. In part because it's hard to empathize with Vader in this series. He's just a killing machine at the service of the Emperor here, so unreedebemable evil and killing people by the thousands.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:25 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
So what did you think? Personally I don't think it was half as strong as the original. In part because it's hard to empathize with Vader in this series. He's just a killing machine at the service of the Emperor here, so unreedebemable evil and killing people by the thousands.
While I get that criticism, it's not something that really bothers me. Mostly because this is what I've wanted to see since the dang Prequels were announced. I always thought that they would open with Anakin already a Padwan, he would go full Vader at the end of Episode II, and we'd see the formation of the Empire and Vader's first brutal acts in Episode III. Instead we get to see Vader for like three minutes at the very end, most of which is taken up by the forever meme-worthy "NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo".

Speaking of, that too is given new life at the very start, I love how the comic reframes that moment as a persistent 'No' of anger and defiance rather than grief and regret.

And while there's something to be said about Vader being irredeemably evil being tedious, I think it's important. After all, if you soften his actions too much it takes some of the weight out of his true redemption at the end of Episode VI. This was another problem I had with the prequels, Episode III in particular, I never felt his turn to the dark side was all that believable, it never really sold him turning very well. Something I think even Lucas realized, which is why we got the uncomfortable dwelling on "Killing.... Younglings..." because he realized he had to fit something in there to make his turn to the Dark Side more believable, but to me it always came across as over-compensating because he otherwise just didn't write a good fall from grace story.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:49 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Reflecting on the entirety of Busiek's Avengers:

I see this run get praised as the Busiek/Perez run a lot, but I think it's best in the last 1/4 or 1/5 of the run, after Perez is gone. My favorite issues are definitely the ones by Alan Davis.

Part of this, I think, is that apparently (saw this in some Busiek tweet after reading the last volume), this was an extremely Marvel Method book when Perez was there, where the Perez would draw and Busiek would try to make it make sense afterwards. There is not necessarily anything wrong with this and obviously Perez is a great artist, but as someone coming in mostly to read a Busiek story, in retrospect I now know that this was probably not a good run to find a Busiek story, since it was primarily artist driven.

I think another issue for me is that Perez's artist style really loses a lot in those dark days of late 90s and early 2000s digital coloring. One of the TPB volumes included full pencils of an issue as a bonus, and it really drove home for me just how much his pencils were wasted on the digital coloring of that particular era. I think that a black and white version of this just based on the pencils and inks, or a retro recolor of this that draws on the style of how they digitally clean up old books but maintain the flat coloration would improve it a lot.

As is, I just couldn't get into a book driven by Perez's art, but that featured a version of Perez's art just botched by coloring techniques that don't match his pencils.

When Alan Davis shows up, it's more or less a total a reboot. This is interesting because the Perez run itself was a reboot, which also followed the Heroes Reborn Image Bunch reboot. But what differentiates this reboot from the previous two is that it's not a Back To Basics approach, but one that embraces the full history and diversity of the Avengers cast.

Also, weirdly, this is a reboot that anticipates a lot of what would happen on Morrison's New X-Men not that much later. You transition to the Avengers from a bunch of people in a mansion to a global (and beyond) corporation of sorts composed of a variety of discrete teams based around the globe (and in space). The scale of the conflicts begins to become more and more over the top (in a good way, in my opinion). This shift in scale does make me wonder if to some extent maybe both the Morrison run and this latter part of Busiek's Avengers run were influenced by (or responding to the same trends as) Ellis' Big Screen Comics (or whatever he was calling it) approach over in The Authority, which was a critical darling at the time.

One thing that the final part of Busiek's Avengers run has going for it that works really well is that it draws on obscure D-listers. I don't know for sure, but to me this focus on D-listers felt more like Busiek himself was in control, to the benefit or the run.

A very weird plot point in the Back to Basics Perez driven era involved how the current Avengers cast was all white, and they got angry about demands that they introduce members to fill racial quotas. This was especially odd because the first three issues of the Perez driven era featured every previous Avenger, which did include a good deal of diversity. So, when they get to the racial quota plot point they have to come up with flimsy reason why Monica Rambeau and Bonita Juarez (Firebird) can't join the team, in order to maintain an all white cast, so they can have this awkward story about how the Avengers aren't purposely excluding non-white people, they just all happen to be white, at the moment. But as a reader, you know that this excuses are dumb and that the creators (or editorial) have weirdly made a choice to go for an all white team. So it has really bad meta-fictional implications that pull you out of the story and just make you wonder what anyone involved with creating the book was thinking.

And then Perez is off of the art, and Monica Rambeau and Bonita Juarez are both part of the book, in this new international cast. And some of the run's strongest moments are interactions between Bonita Juarez and Thor, dealing with her as a devout Catholic talking with an Asgardian god about the religious and ethical implications of their immortality. And it's just so much better than yet another Back to Basics issue about the incredibly dull Wonder Man/Vision/Scarlet Witch love triangle.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:24 AM
till the sheriff stops by

As it was being released, I read the Busiek run up to Ultron Unleashed, then only read Kang Dynasty afterwards (in a collected edition), which is a pretty epic and impressive adventure.

I don't remember the "all-whiteys" plot point, but that does seem weird because while there might be a lot of white Avengers, even before then there were definitely some prominent black heroes and Avengers in particular who... probably weren't doing a whole lot in the Marvel Universe at the time. I remember Triathlon and remember the one issue where Silverclaw was introduced and then... did she even ever appear again? She seemed like such a bland character to introduce, too, with a very 90's name and look in an era of comics that seemed to be moving past that.

Oof... That... doesn't look comfortable.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:16 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Yeah, Kang Dynasty was the big event of the post-Perez era of Busiek. I think it was the best part of Busiek's run. It helps that it was tied into to the Avengers Forever maxi-series, which I think was stronger than the contemporaneous run with Perez on the main book.

Silver Claw did come back a number of times after her introduction, both for (1) a long story focused on her during the Perez era with Kulan Gath as a villain and also (2) a reserve member who was involved in the Kang Dynasty stuff, but there were a ton of characters so it's not too weird to forget her since she had some good moments but was not a central focus.

Honestly, she feels like someone who would have been better served if Busiek had saved her for Astro City, because she was mostly wasted on the Avengers run but Busiek had developed a background for her as the daughter of a local goddess in the Kulan Gath story that would have worked better in Astro City's context.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:48 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

The first two issues of the new Purple Daughter storyline in Jessica Jones hit today, and it seems to be off to a good start. Of course, Blind Spot had an intriguing first act as well and kinda sputtered out towards the end, in my opinion, but the stakes are way more personal this time around.

I'm still not sure how I feel about them going back to the Purple Man story well again, but given the nature of Kilgrave's powers even when you think he's dead there's always the possibility he's not. A fact Carol has to wrestle with since as far as she knew she threw his body into the sun. Though there's still no sign of Kilgrave himself, nor any confirmation if he's still alive, we do see his 'kids', his other purple children, as well as Kara. The second issue ends with the purple children speaking to a mysterious figure that we don't see, but we get the dramatic reveal of a conspicuously non-purple hand. So it's probably not Kilgrave. ....probably not.

There's still a chance this story could also waste its potential, but I'll remain hopeful. I just want JJ to have a good series.

The next pair of issues is teasing a good ol' Defenders teamup, with the Heroes for Hire and Daredevil dropping in, as well as 'one of the most powerful mutants in the world'. I'm guessing.... Jean Grey. Is she alive in the current continuity?
Old 01-17-2019, 06:00 AM
Born in the USA

I think the mutants all just died but they'll probably be back soon.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:25 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Silverclaw was introduced and then... did she even ever appear again? She seemed like such a bland character to introduce, too, with a very 90's name and look in an era of comics that seemed to be moving past that.

Oof... That... doesn't look comfortable.
It's a very Beast pose.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:02 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I was going to wonder what meta reason they were killing off all the mutants again (because everybody loved House of M back in the day?), but then I remembered the Disney/Fox merger is going through and that this is probably to clear the way for the X-Men to join the MCU proper so that when they're brought back they'll look like whatever their new movie looks will be.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:38 AM
Senhor Member

I havenít read the issue yet and Iím not reading any more after it until they pop up on Unlimited but Iím sure theyíll be back in circulation well before mutants show up in the MCU. They normally donít publish comics that look a bit more like the movies until the movies come out.

Anyway, itís just a bad idea and no fun, which the x-books love to execute. x-cute.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:42 AM
Mystery Contraption

This is, what, the third time the mutant race was basically wiped out? Fourth?

More of you count alternate timelines.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:46 AM
Out Of Warranty

Feh, if it doesn't happen in a line wide multipart X-over, it won't stick (and even if it does, it won't stick forever unless for some reason Wolverine and the X brand don't sell anymore)

That said, isn't there an "Age of X-Man" crossover on its way? What's that about? Is this a setup for that?
Old 01-17-2019, 07:47 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
I havenít read the issue yet and Iím not reading any more after it until they pop up on Unlimited but Iím sure theyíll be back in circulation well before mutants show up in the MCU. They normally donít publish comics that look a bit more like the movies until the movies come out.

Anyway, itís just a bad idea and no fun, which the x-books love to execute. x-cute.
Avengers 4 is supposed to wipe the slate clean as far as the MCU goes, going to guess it, the new Spidey movie, and the Cap Marvel movie are going to hint at a bunch of new stuff to keep the train going. All three of those are out this year, so they only have to keep the mutants dead for less than a year and I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel already had post-Fox designs and stuff ready to go.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:50 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Avengers 4 is supposed to wipe the slate clean as far as the MCU goes, going to guess it, the new Spidey movie, and the Cap Marvel movie are going to hint at a bunch of new stuff to keep the train going. All three of those are out this year, so they only have to keep the mutants dead for less than a year and I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel already had post-Fox designs and stuff ready to go.
Doubtful. I really don't think they have a way of knowing which shape the new X-Men movies will take this early (no producers and no script, thus no art direction) and Dark Phoenix is just around the corner.

Also, Marvel has no issues with doing 616 changes without needing to reboot a line. See how Nick Fury looks right now.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:03 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Long story short, it looks like just an excuse to put recently resurrected Cyclops and Wolverine in the spotlight as the heroes that will save everyone.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:18 AM
Out Of Warranty

They resurrected Cyclops? That really didn't take as long as I expected.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:31 AM
Born in the USA

Three years is a respectable amount of time for a comic character to be dead.

Tags
comics , excelsior! , marvel , super heroes