The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 01-02-2019, 06:12 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Ah, nothing like seeing Tony and Annie bond over their mutual hatred of Annie.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:57 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

My number one takeaway from this Chapter of Gunnerkrigg is how much it reminds me of fucking Xavier Renegade Angel.

No seriously check this shit out.

In the last episode of Season 1 of the second weirdest show Adult swim ever made, Xavier meets another Xavier, and the two of them immediately start trying to prove that they're better than eachother by pointing out all of eachother's flaws, culminating in a literal dick-measuring contest (Their dicks are also their third eyes. It's just that kinda show).

Everything each Xavier, (and each Annie) hate about the other is a flaw that both of them have, but refuse to recognize in themselves. Being confronted with a second version of themself gives them a way to "Cheat" at self-awareness, letting them acknowledge their selfish petty and occasionally cruel attitudes, without having to acknowledge that these problems are all their own.

Everything Annie hates about Annie is just... Annie. She's not a BAD person, but she's not as great as she'd like to think she is. I fully expect this arc to end with both Annies demanding that the other Annie honor "Her" promise to the Psychopomps, and accusing the other Annie of trying to weasel her way out of the deal. It's the most Annie thing they could possibly do.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:02 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

If I came home from work today to find the version of me who called in sick this morning already at my house, I'd probably do the exact same thing.

Then we'd play smash bros.

One of us would Main Sonic, the other Little Mac.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:46 AM
Cookie Clicker Champion

Just checking, is this the first time that Tony has smiled at Annie in the series? (I think he smiled when he got drunk with Donald and in flashbacks).
Old 01-07-2019, 01:33 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Annie is May Whitman!?!
Old 01-07-2019, 05:21 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

I really hope this chapter switches between Annies every few pages, to make it clear that NEITHER Annie is the "Good" Annie or the "Main" Annie.

In fact, it should do that EVERY SINGLE PAGE.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:26 AM
Mystery Contraption

Thatís already happening every panel
Old 01-07-2019, 07:21 PM
We just don't know.

Egg??
Old 01-11-2019, 08:23 AM
Cookie Clicker Champion

D'awww, Reynard is the good permissive parent to Tony's hammer drop. He's just looking out for all the kids, and trying to keep the fires low.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:52 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

I'm glad Annie's friends are coming out in support of both annies.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:45 AM
Mystery Contraption

A Good Friend will pretend to kidnap you for funsies

A Dear Friend will not
Old 01-11-2019, 12:54 PM
Hello. Can you hear me?

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

Annie's friends have begun to realize the pros and cons of having two friends who can start fires with their minds.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:53 AM

That and she knows that those two are secretly dating.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:01 AM
Mystery Contraption

Only the real Annie could love Zoolander that much!
Old 01-14-2019, 10:32 AM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcalan View Post
That and she knows that those two are secretly dating.
I thought everyone knew they were dating.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:43 AM

Nah, they thought they were just joking.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:19 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

BECAUSE IT'S A SECRET!
Old 01-18-2019, 02:29 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

.............................................good talk.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:15 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

*eek!*
Old 01-18-2019, 07:04 AM
Cookie Clicker Champion

Paz throws down the gauntlet!
Old 01-18-2019, 07:55 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Paz is acutely aware of the Lopsided nature of Annie & Kat's relationship, and is rightfully terrified of the idea of there being two Annies who both demand Kat's full attention & also hate eachother.

Last edited by BEAT; 01-25-2019 at 09:55 AM. Reason: LOL FIXING TYPOS A FULL 2 WEEKS LATER.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:08 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Kat already works herself half to death on the Reg for ANNIE GOALS. She'd absolutely destroy herself trying to satisfy the demands of two separate Annies who both demand that Kat dedicate herself completely to FUCKING WRECKING OTHER ANNIE. It's a situation where the very BEST case synario is one where Kat is forced to play peacemaker between Annie her best friend and Annie her best friend, and cannot possibly do so without Annie her Best friend being hurt and betrayed. It's the ultimate no-win situation.

Kat PROBABLY wouldn't approve of Paz telling Annie to keep her bullshit to a minimum like this, and honestly Paz probably should have talked to Kat before cornering Annie, but it's a very believable bad choice made by a good girlfriend.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:10 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Kat already works herself half to death on the Reg for ANNIE GOALS. She'd absolutely destroy herself trying to satisfy the demands of two separate Annies who both demand that Kat dedicate herself completely to FUCKING WRECKING OTHER ANNIE.
Not going to lie, I would watch that show.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Paz is acutely aware of the Lopsided nature of Annie & Kat's relationship, and is rightfully terrified of the idea of there being two Annies who both demand Paz's full attention & also hate eachother.
I want this to be the case, but if I had to bet money, itís much more likely a yandere jealousy thing.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:17 PM
Hello. Can you hear me?

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
yandere
Gunnerkrigg court is not anime though I have to admit I'd be down for a tournament arc
Old 01-19-2019, 02:20 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

Quote:
I want this to be the case, but if I had to bet money, itís much more likely a yandere jealousy thing.
Fuck no.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:33 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

Gunnerkrigg as a comic goes WAY out of it's way to avoid having pointless "THIS CHARACTER IS BAAAAD" stuff like that.

Every character in the series who started as one-note has almost immediately been shown as having much more to them. Winsbury, The asshole bully from the first few chapters who is now one of Annie's closest friend. Or Jack, who came down with spider-brain not only acknowldged that he had an obsession, recognized it as dead end, and found people who could help him work through it. The series takes anyone who could be a One-Note character and turns them into something more nuanced and human.

So the idea that it would suddenly break that streak to make a character who was ALREADY a nuanced, thoughtful, rational individual who was the subject of her very own bonus comic about dealing with loss, And turn her into a Terribad anime version of RAR I AM CRAZY AND IN LOVE BUT MOSTLY JUST FUCKING CRAZY AND MURDERY?

Fuck no.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:41 PM

I'm not meaning to imply they'll turn into full blown anime parody, but she's always been pretty clearly jealous - even if subconscious - about Kat & Annie's friendship. And that naked hostility towards something that looks like Annie threatening to further divide Kat's attention even more away from her is shades of the same theme as psyhopath jealous/possessive anime girlfriend.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Cookie Clicker Champion

Quote:
I'm not meaning to imply they'll turn into full blown anime parody, but she's always been pretty clearly jealous - even if subconscious - about Kat & Annie's friendship. And that naked hostility towards something that looks like Annie threatening to further divide Kat's attention even more away from her is shades of the same theme as psyhopath jealous/possessive anime girlfriend.
Or maybe Paz cares about her girlfriend and knows that she is very stressed? I mean, Kat HAS, in the last 1-2 days of comic time, been put through the emotional ringer of finding out there are TWO Annies who are BOTH real according to every test they can run. Paz would probably be the first person to hear about any emotional stress this caused since Kat and Paz appear to have a very honest and emotionally supportive relationship. Everyone has also been living in the new awkward court police state that we know very little about for a while now, so they may be a bit on edge.

Paz definitely likes Kat, but we don't see regular crazy mood swings from her, and this comic at its core is interested in emotional honesty from its characters. An excellent example of the comic's standard approach is the way Kat learned about Paz's affections in the first place. It was a touching story that tried to get to the truth of telling someone your true feelings for them when there's a lot of risk involved.

I think rather than a stock character reaction, it's much more likely that both Paz and Kat have been under a lot of stress and Paz is worried about the additional emotional distress from the extreme circumstances of Kat having an EXTRA BEST FRIEND WHO IS LITERALLY THE SAME AS HER OTHER BEST FRIEND plopped on her unwillingly. This is definitely among the weirder things that have happened at the court, and these kids have been through more than a few weird things. Paz may not be using the best tactic to talk to Annie about her own concerns, but it's not like there's no reason for an extreme reaction.

Last edited by Bulgakov; 01-19-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:00 PM

Most of the cast has been under extreme emotional distress, but nobody else reacts with the kind of overt hostility that Paz does, so that doesn't quite sit as a full enough excuse to me.

The protectiveness, possessiveness, and hostility Paz is displaying would be distressing/cause for concern if it was a guy displaying this kind of reaction towards someone orbiting his girlfriend's life. Kat is a big girl and can take care of herself and doesn't need Paz doing this for her.

I don't think Paz is a bad person or anything or means ill, but I can't help but read there's a certain amount of resentment/jealousy that comes with your significant other expending more time/emotional energy invested in someone else that isn't you. And how alarming it would make such a person feel if that other person suddenly multiplied over night.

And these are still kids, not mature and wise adults with tons of life experience and years of wisdom under their belts, they're prone to having feelings like this or not handling every situation 100% perfectly.

Tags
bad parenting , city face , dog punches! , don't date robots , fairies cross the mercy , loup is a big jerk , what is jones