The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 12-14-2018, 04:02 PM
Sega CD version is better

I saw that The Batman Who Laughs from the big Not Crisis event they recently did is getting his own spin off series, so I decided to look up his wiki entry...

...Seriously, this character is terrible. As if there wasn't enough "What if Batman was Evil" archetypes floating around the DC multiverse, this one really doesn't bring anything new to the table aside from "How dark and edgy can we make one of these evil Batmen?"
Old 12-14-2018, 04:08 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Moreover, The Batman Who Laughs is exactly Judge Death.

Like... exactly.

Maybe with a sprinkle of the end of Arkham Knight to keep 2000 ADs legal team off their back
Old 12-14-2018, 09:34 PM
This Guy

I think the character worked in the context of Metal, but I had no desire to see him return.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:35 PM

I saw some stuff from the most recent issue of Batman Damned (you'll remember this title as the one where Bruce showed his wang off) and oh my god. What a fucking trainwreck. Somebody stop Brian Azzarello!
Old 12-16-2018, 06:50 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Oh, yeah, that happened.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:55 AM
Cobra and Phases Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheeel View Post
I've been working my way through the original Golden Age run of Batman comics, and I've just stumbled on the story that inspired the Animated Series episode "Never Too Late" ("Payment In Full", Batman #11) Well, "inspired" is putting it lightly as the animated version basically lifts whole plot points from the comic.

The two stories start from exactly the same premise of childhood friends taking different paths, one good and honest, the other corrupt and wicked.

The ending's very different in the original, though. The boy who becomes a gangster doesn't repent his ways or do any sort of good deed at the end, he's basically a completely unrepentant jerk the whole way through. No lessons learned.

The odd thing about a lot of pre-code comics is you'd expect them to be more moralising given the era and young audience they were written for, but often they just end with no particular message at all.
Revisiting this post a bit over a year later as I'm now approaching the end of Batman's Silver Age, it's been quite a journey.

I have to admit, the last couple of years of Bat-issues(currently up to the latter half of 1961) have started to really drag. At first I was enthusiastic for crazy sci-fi Batman adventures, but read sequentially the plots get super-repetitive.

My understanding is editor Jack Schiff was instructed to push the Batbooks in a sci-fi direction as it had done so well for DC's other titles. But Schiff, not being a fan or having a wide knowledge of the speculative fiction genre, assumed sci-fi=aliens. So every other story has aliens in it now. It's got to the point where you know whenever there's a mystery element in any story, the answer is going to be ALIENS DID IT.

there are some outright classics from this era like "Am I Really Batman?" and "Robin Dies At Dawn" but they're spread pretty thin. I have come to appreciate the Bat Family stories(Batwoman, Batgirl, Bathound, etc) as they are at least a change-up from the formula and give Batman & Robin something else to do other than punch gangsters or aliens. But oh boy, I can't wait for this era to be over. It's so tempting to skip ahead a couple of years to get to the "new look" era but, well, I've come this far now...
Old 01-02-2019, 08:45 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

If you're not into GRIM and DARK comics, you won't like Scott Snyder's Batman, but man it's good.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:26 AM
This Guy

I haven't read all of Snyder's Batman, but I wouldn't call what I read grim. It's dark, but it tends to be too ridiculous to be grim.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:35 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

Fair point
Old 01-08-2019, 04:49 AM
Senhor Member

Picked up the first Young Justice volume on Hoopla and so far it is the most 1998-ass thing I have ever read. I love it.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:21 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
Picked up the first Young Justice volume on Hoopla and so far it is the most 1998-ass thing I have ever read. I love it.
Peter David was firing in all cylinders when writing that series. For better and worse.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Senhor Member

Absolute low-point has been the gag about the super-villain with large breasts, however, to me, I can overlook it for the other pun-based jokes and the fact that Peter David thinks itís incredibly stupid whenever Superboy talks about his tactile telekinesis. (I have read two issues and the Dezago specials... not v. much)
From the specials, a Nazi dinosaur, cloaca included, for verisimilitude

A South Park reference bc 1998

otoh, a trip to the (per the Titan Up the Defence podcast) bozone, bc this is a DC comic for youths

Also, I donít think Iíve ever like Humberto Ramosís art so much. Maybe he had more time back in the day.

Just some no-doubt fresh box office humor

Theyíre both two gay dads

Peter David

Peter David wrote this in 1998

I forget this guyís name but I love that he is annoyed by these teens

Absolute worst thing so far!

Luckily his affection for wordplay is used mostly for good

Tactile telekinesis

Same

Old 01-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Space Prez

Is the joke that she has giant boobs, but they can't show them? Cuz uhhh superhero comics.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:01 PM
This Guy

I think it is trying to be a joke about 90's character design/art, but also a boob joke and it doesn't work. That is kind of how I remember Young Justice (its been a long time); David throws a lot out a lot of jokes and while there are misses, they tend to be overshadowed by the hits.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:01 PM
Senhor Member

Well the jokes is primarily that she canít stand upright. That they donít show them (even though sheís wearing clothing) only makes the joke even more worthy of just being cut which is, from a certain perspective, an accomplishment.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:03 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
Also, I donít think Iíve ever like Humberto Ramosís art so much. Maybe he had more time back in the day.
I haven't seen any of his more recent stuff beyond glimpses of Spider-Man covers, but Humbert Ramos was great with Mark Waid on Impulse as well (as you can probably see in this comic with Mark Waid Peter David from more or less the same period, where he also draws Impulse). His art is just a good fit for this kind of youthful cartoonish energy. (And yeah he probably was more willing to work himself to death when he was younger. See also, Chris Bachalo.)

I definitely read this in floppies back in the day as a kid. My excursions into (non-Vertigo) DC were JLA (because Wizard Magazine told me to read it), Impulse (because I had a crush on Impulse), and this (because Impulse was in it).

This stuff was incredibly funny to me as a tween.

Last edited by estragon; 01-08-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:29 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
(And yeah he probably was more willing to work himself to death when he was younger. See also, Chris Bachalo.)
Was going to make this point before being completely confused by the boob joke.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:43 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
If you're not into GRIM and DARK comics, you won't like Scott Snyder's Batman, but man it's good.
Man, I love that run. I wouldn't call it grim at all! The use of colour is absolutely outstanding. Zero Year deserves to be remembered as an all-time classic imo.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:45 AM
..and his little cat, too

Careful, if you say his name three times and post images of his work, he might shut you down.
Old Today, 12:33 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Kind of amazing what a counterintuitive hassle DC has made it to read JLA Vol. 1 and its close tie-ins.

Tags
chortle at batman's boner , chortle at joker's boner , clark kent is sup-*bang* , comics , crisis on infinite dicks , detective comics , detective comics comics , don’t ask just buy it , i am baytor , just read mark waid books , superman is worst hero , tales from the krypton