The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-22-2017, 05:09 PM
if-then-eels

I'm still not sure whether to be more astounded that Sonic Blast / G Sonic got a Master System (back-) port over Triple Trouble, or that it's on the eShop over Sonic Chaos.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:48 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
The Aspect games may have all had a little bit better presentation on the Game Gear, but overall the Master System versions are far superior due to the resolution difference. Also the first boss doesn't screw you over as badly.
It's a real shame Triple Trouble and Tails Adventure don't have official Master System ports (though there are fan versions). Tails Adventure has some decent level design that's really let down by the tiny screen.

Is the Master System emulation on Wii Virtual Console good? I might have to pick up Sonic Chaos over there...
Old 08-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
The Game Gear port of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (which, for clarity, is a port of the SMS game called Sonic the Hedgehog 2, not the Sonic 2 you're thinking of) could almost pass for a Good Game. Nice visuals, it's got (admittedly stripped down) multi-tier level design that makes the main games so replayable and it controls pretty well.

On the other hand the screen is zoomed in so far that it's impossible to tell where you're jumping or if there's safe ground beneath you, and the level design loves-loves-loves bottomless pits. Also, there are no rings in boss levels, and bosses all have something that writes-up the jumping physics, so every third stage is basically a kill-screen.
Sonic 2 GG "Green Hill Zone"

Sonic CD JPN Intro theme

Shakewell shows us what Octopus Prime is talking about
Old 08-23-2017, 12:43 PM
is Earnest

Oh man, I played a ton of Game Gear Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, and Triple Trouble when I was a lad. Plus, Sonic Spinball, which is mostly a pinball game but you sometimes play it like a platformer, if I remember correctly.

Chaos is the best one, but I think Triple Trouble was decent too. I'm sure that my vague memories of these games are wildly inaccurate.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:02 PM
Just bear with me

I just started putting some serious time into these. Triple Trouble seems a bit more Mario-like than the other games... slower and more deliberate. The character sprites look really nice, though! I'm consistently impressed by the amount of detail the Game Gear and SMS can put into foreground objects. I also appreciate that getting hit only takes a few rings from the amount you've collected. That's in contrast to other GG Sonic games, where you lose all your rings in a collision but only a couple pop out of you.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:09 PM
if-then-eels

Triple Trouble and Chaos definitely feel like they were developed with more of the limitations of the Game Gear in mind, which is why then run a bit slower than the two previous games. Sonic 1 actually had a few changes in Sonic's jump physics to deal with the lower screen size (something I didn't realize until I watched a video) but any similar changes in Sonic 2 are too minor to even notice, which is just part and parcel with that game being a disaster to play on GG over Master System.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:42 PM

I think I might give the prototype version of Radia a go instead. It increases the main character's walking speed, so battles were a little quicker.

As far as the GG/SMS Sonic games go, my issue was always that it was unnecessarily difficult to pick up large chunks of rings. It's not nearly as effortless as the Genesis games, and it suffers for it.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:13 PM
if-then-eels

That's definitely true, it's surprisingly cumbersome to get to the special stages in Sonic Chaos if you don't find areas with loads of 10-ring monitors.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Dead Horse Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I think I might give the prototype version of Radia a go instead. It increases the main character's walking speed, so battles were a little quicker.
I started using fast forward on the emulator to deal with the walking and battle speed, but I still got bored with how piss easy the battles were, and aggravated with the amount of backtracking. Definitely give the game a shot though, the things that bothered me about it may not bother you at all. We're all special.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:09 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

I really like Radia, BUT, I also didn't finish it. Maybe I'll give it a shot later.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:11 AM
concern troll

Hey Dragon Quest 7, it sure is rad that you locked me out of the job system after a critical plot point. And it's even more rad that you have almost worthless jobs in the progression, and it's the MOST rad that you are now making me solo with a side character I turned into a Jester and can't switch out of.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Hey Dragon Quest 7, it sure is rad that you locked me out of the job system after a critical plot point. And it's even more rad that you have almost worthless jobs in the progression, and it's the MOST rad that you are now making me solo with a side character I turned into a Jester and can't switch out of.
The combat in DQ7 is so dull and inconsequential, it's best to put your party on auto battle and not worry about it. Turn them on manual control for the boss fights.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:07 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
Sonic 2 GG "Green Hill Zone"
Haha oh wow, so, right now my 3DS is using the Game Gear menu theme, and this is the music it has in the background. I figured it was from a Sonic game but I actually didn't know which one.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:18 AM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by balder the brave View Post
The combat in DQ7 is so dull and inconsequential, it's best to put your party on auto battle and not worry about it. Turn them on manual control for the boss fights.
Not an option when they make you solo.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:23 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Haha oh wow, so, right now my 3DS is using the Game Gear menu theme, and this is the music it has in the background. I figured it was from a Sonic game but I actually didn't know which one.
Glad to be of service, 'cause I didn't know that (didn't buy the Game Gear theme), though I posted it 'cause I thought it was interesting that it got remade into the intro theme for Sonic CD in Japan and Europe.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:36 PM

Having good charms on a weapon in Way of the Samurai 4 is so satisfying, but holy christ is getting them the biggest chore in the world. Piece by piece, put a weapon together and then disassemble it to randomize what charms each piece has on it until you get what you need for one piece, then switch that piece out for fodder and keep going until it happens for the other two pieces and then you can finally assemble the actual weapon you want with all the matching charms.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:16 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oathbreaker View Post
Having good charms on a weapon in Way of the Samurai 4 is so satisfying, but holy christ is getting them the biggest chore in the world. Piece by piece, put a weapon together and then disassemble it to randomize what charms each piece has on it until you get what you need for one piece, then switch that piece out for fodder and keep going until it happens for the other two pieces and then you can finally assemble the actual weapon you want with all the matching charms.
Throwback SMT mechanics on top of Crafting Mechanics? Fuuuuuuuuuck!
Old 08-27-2017, 10:13 PM
Chief Servbot

After getting used to the wonderful Switch UI, going back to the Wii U feels like having to go back to dial-up. Can't believe people prefer this awful, sludgy interface just because the eShop has music.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:28 AM
Just bear with me

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I switched on my Wii U for... some reason, and the interface is just dreadful. It's sluggish, and accessing the Wii half of the system is time-consuming and needlessly complicated. The gamepad starts to feel like an anchor when you already have a perfectly good screen right in front of you.

I've actually retired the machine in favor of an original Wii, which boots faster, is easier to hack, and doesn't take up so much space. I won't be able to play Mario Kart 8 on it, but I guess that just gives me added incentive to upgrade to a Switch later.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:46 AM
concern troll

I kind of wish I hadn't transferred my Wii stuff now that I have a good CRT tv again. I guess you can't put stuff back on it?
Old 08-28-2017, 11:07 AM
Chief Servbot

Yeah, glad I didn't do that. Being a person who never gets rid of old consoles pays off once again!
Old 08-28-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I kind of wish I hadn't transferred my Wii stuff now that I have a good CRT tv again. I guess you can't put stuff back on it?
Mod that sucker and don't look back.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:34 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Mod that sucker and don't look back.
Actually, I did have the Homebrew Channel mod at one point but god it's been years since I've looked at it and I have no idea what's on it or how to use it any more, hahah. Probably will look into that if/when I have time.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Family Man

I can't imagine how excruciating the ball tilt puzzles in Breath of the Wild must be if you have even the most minor of physical disabilities. It is the worst thing about this game.

Speaking of PHYSICS, damned if BotW doesn't seem like the result of Nintendo finally looking at every new design element of western game design this century all at once. Open World! Survival! Physics Puzzles!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:09 PM
contains words & diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Speaking of PHYSICS, damned if BotW doesn't seem like the result of Nintendo finally looking at every new design element of western game design this century all at once. Open World! Survival! Physics Puzzles!
yeah but like, they decided to append "...but good" to all of those things.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:21 PM
if-then-eels

Crafting! There's totally crafting too!!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
I feel like BotW is basically a call-out of every other open-world RPG that came before it.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:37 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
Except breakable weapons. That has basically never been done well.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:28 PM
Half-Ninja

Replaying through StarCraft via StarCraft Remastered reminded me that the difficulty of the game skyrockets in the last 5 or so Protoss missions. This why I've never beaten it without cheating.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:36 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Replaying through StarCraft via StarCraft Remastered reminded me that the difficulty of the game skyrockets in the last 5 or so Protoss missions. This why I've never beaten it without cheating.
I usually build a bunch of carriers and the AI just has no idea what to do about them.

Tags
a whiner is you , every game is good , fer me to poop on , first world problems , gettin' mad at videogames , literal slap in the face , mm loz castlevania , too bad so sad , waaahhh my video games