The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-19-2013, 09:05 AM
There's no thread shortag

Default Who has played ____ and can share its opinion about it?

So, hi, I'm having a curious phase and wanted to create a general opinion thread about games.

In here someone asks about a game he's interested in or playing or whatever and other people who have an opinion on it or, heaven help, have already played that game, share their opinion on the game.

Keep in mind this thread is about opinions. This means that everyone is entitled to his own and no one should be attacked about having one.

We'll see how this goes...and dies...

So anyway, I'm currently playing Vampire - The Masquerade - Redemption and was wondering if anyone else in here has played that game. I'll withhold my opinion of it until I have beaten the game or have come further than the Vienna portions, but let me state that having two dungeons back-to-back where you aren't able to stock up on items or arms is coloring my opinion somewhat.

Last edited by DANoWAR; 01-20-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Galaxy's Goofiest Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANoWAR View Post
Vampire - The Masquerade - Redemption
Well, it's no Bloodlines, I can tell you that much.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin. Worth it? I've played both of the other DS Vanias and loved them, but I've heard extremely mixed reviews of PoR.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:20 PM
I. Love. It.

If you can find it for cheap and like the Iga-vania style, then sure. But I wouldn't say it's worth bending over backwards to track down.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Little Waves

Awful artwork, grating dialogue, shoddy graphics, thoughtless enemy placement, nonexistent level design, grind-happy gameplay, one-note soundtrack, stay away. Of course, most of the same things are true of Dawn and Order, but pretty much everything is it at its worst here.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:22 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfut View Post
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin. Worth it? I've played both of the other DS Vanias and loved them, but I've heard extremely mixed reviews of PoR.
It's not the worst Igavania, but you shouldn't seek it out unless you've devoured Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclesia and are hungry for more.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:33 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Yo I got this one. I enjoyed it a lot! Though I will say that the other two DS Castlevanaias are better. So while it's not the BEST it's still pretty darn good.

I'd say go for it, unless you totally ONLY want the best.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

I don't understand how Portrait of Ruin isn't considered the best Igavania. It has Charlotte in it! She's fantastic. And it has a whip-user who doesn't look like a doofus.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I don't understand how Portrait of Ruin isn't considered the best Igavania. It has Charlotte in it! She's fantastic. And it has a whip-user who doesn't look like a doofus.
are you really saying jonathan looks better than julius

is that what you're saying lancer
Old 01-19-2013, 01:45 PM

Portrait's level design is pretty tired, but yeah, I had fun with it. It's certainly no Symphony or Aria.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroneight View Post
Portrait's level design is pretty tired, but yeah, I had fun with it. It's certainly no Symphony or Aria.
My favorite Igavania was Ecclesia, due to the more linear sections. I've heard Portrait has those too?
Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
My favorite Igavania was Ecclesia, due to the more linear sections. I've heard Portrait has those too?
SORTA

You go inside a bunch of paintings and they have set beggining and end points, at least, If I'm remembering this correctly.

It's been awhile.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Quote:
are you really saying jonathan looks better than julius

is that what you're saying lancer
OH GODS NO. I forgot about Julius! Julius is definitely better than Jonathan!

Let me rephrase that. Jonathan is the only initially playable whip-user in an Igavania who doesn't look like a doofus.

Juste, no. Just... no.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Yo I got this one. I enjoyed it a lot! Though I will say that the other two DS Castlevanaias are better. So while it's not the BEST it's still pretty darn good.

I'd say go for it, unless you totally ONLY want the best.
Seconding this.

Quote:
Sort of. The castle has portals to sub areas that you complete in one go. Ecclesia does something similiar with areas you enter from the world map. In my opinion though Ecclesia pulls off a thoughtful, gauntlet feel to these stages. Portrait feels like they wanted mini exploratory stages, and it doesn't feel as satisfying.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Little Waves

It's true that Portrait doesn't have areas that are literal straight lines on the map with no variation, like Order does.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:07 PM
beech i told u

Portrait of Ruin isn't the worst Igavania (that honour belongs to Harmony of Dissapointment Dissonance), but it's definitely no Ecclesia or Aria.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Espurrs are proud.

okay i legit don't get the hate for harmony of dissonance
i mean it wasn't perfect but it stands as the second-best gba vania and the magic system was hella cool
also i love juste's design
Old 01-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Little Waves

I'm not Harmony's biggest fan, but it's easily better than Portrait.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
okay i legit don't get the hate for harmony of dissonance
The main thing that sticks out in my mind is when you miss your guess of where to go next, waste time backtracking and head scratching, and start cursing the two castle structure in the back of your mind.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
The main thing that sticks out in my mind is when you miss your guess of where to go next, waste time backtracking and head scratching, and start cursing the two castle structure in the back of your mind.
well the first part of that happened to me in symphony, so
Old 01-19-2013, 02:36 PM
This Guy

If you liked the Igavania's, you should like Portrait. I actually think it is one of the better ones, definitely better than Harmony or Circle, and I liked it more than Ecclesia. It didn't cost much last I checked, and none of the DS Castlevanias are truly bad, so I'd say check it out.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Come, noble knights!

Portrait of Ruin's got some fun toys, but the level design leaves a lot to be desired and most of the enemies just kinda suck. It becomes all the more obvious how lackluster it is once you play it with the extra characters. You would be better off playing Harmony of Despair if you wanted to mess around with Jonathan and Charlotte.

Harmony of Dissonance...It's got some pretty art assets, you have a super fast triple jumping Romanian ninja as a bonus character, you can play as 8-bit Simon in the boss rush mode, and magic and dashing are fun, but the level layouts suck, the dual castle mechanic is done in the most boring way, most of the items you find are lame, many of the bosses are too easy, whip add-ons are mostly uninteresting, and there's a sidequest dedicated to collecting tons of useless crap to decorate a room with no reward for doing so except an extremely minor difference in the best ending.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridanmovieguy View Post
Well, it's no Bloodlines, I can tell you that much.
No Grey DeLisle, I'm assuming.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
PoR was kind of an attempt to have their cake and eat it too, by still recycling that good ol' map of Dracula's Castle for the 5th time, but also having areas that aren't in there, by stealing the hopping into painting gimmick from Super Mario 64.

This could have been pretty cool if they hadn't really really really half-assed the execution. As is, there's just a very small number of very small side areas, which really aren't especially interesting.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Conquers the World

I don't hear many people bring this up, but Portrait of Ruin has some really awesome bosses. It has my favorite version of Medusa out of any other Castlevania game, and let's not forget that it is a game that ends with a Dracula/Death tag-team match.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
PoR was kind of an attempt to have their cake and eat it too, by still recycling that good ol' map of Dracula's Castle for the 5th time, but also having areas that aren't in there, by stealing the hopping into painting gimmick from Super Mario 64.

This could have been pretty cool if they hadn't really really really half-assed the execution. As is, there's just a very small number of very small side areas, which really aren't especially interesting.
Speaking of, I am super disappointed there hasn't been fanart of Mario hopping into some dusty old painting in Peach's castle and ending up at the circus of the damned with Legion or encountering the giant werewolf on European streets.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Mystery Contraption

PoR also had The Nation of Fools, which was simultaneously the coolest and most disappointing area not only in that game, but Quite possibly in the entire Iga-based chunk of the series.

On the whole I would say that it has a lot more faults then DoS did, but none of its faults we're quite so damning. It's kind of middle-of-the-road as far as Igavanias were concerned.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
On the whole I would say that it has a lot more faults then DoS did
Care to elaborate? I haven't really looked much at Dawn's reception, but I personally enjoyed the hell out of it.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Come, noble knights!

I certainly don't think it was a bad game, but Dawn of Sorrow had a lot of "Like Aria but..." moments.

Like Aria but you have to grind many souls to bring out their full potential, like Aria but with a less interesting plot, like Aria but there's tons of enemy sprites directly recycled from Symphony of the Night* now, like Aria but you have to draw magic symbols with a contrived touch screen gimmick to finish off bosses, like Aria but you have to sacrifice rare boss souls to make weapons you would've originally found hidden off in some corner of an optional area in the castle or boss rush or hard mode because the game wanted to emphasize some half-baked forging system for upgrades instead of giving an incentive for exploration...

*To be fair, SotN had its fair share of recycled assets too, but it used many of the Super Castlevania IV and Rondo of Blood assets it brought back in new and interesting ways.

Last edited by MetManMas; 01-19-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Mystery Contraption

I will be brief since I'm tapping on a phone here, but Dawn had incredibly bland environments, the Soul Copies reduced the game to endless grinding if you either wanted Souls that are worth using or equipment that wasnt garbage, Soma moved slowly enough that it made simple exploration feel like a slog and the touch screen implementation is among the stupidest things in the series.

Ruins worst crime was that it was merely lackluster.

Tags
assholes , castlevania-based derails , its opinion , oh shit! i'm sorry , opinions