The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Medal Princess

Default Finally, a Legend of Heroes game in English: Trails in the Sky

I noticed that there isn't a thread for this game. I hope some people are at least playing it! I'm a huge fan of the Trails series, and I'm really excited that the first game is finally out in English and more people can play it.

The reception I've seen other places has made me really happy. I had feared that a lot of people wouldn't like it, because the game truly does have a ton of text to read, but the buzz is really positive, and some people are even comparing it to Grandia. I'd never thought of that before, but I can certainly see it.

I've got several gripes with the localization, but I'm having a great time revisiting it all the same and am getting sucked in once more. And it is at least a much better localization than Ys 7 got.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Fun Club Agent

What, you don't count those three that Namco Bandai released out of order?

By the way, does anyone know why that even happened? That seems like a rather large blunder.

...oh, right. Trails. It's kind of in a bad position in that it's releasing during a busy period, but I plan on getting to it. I always have room for charming RPGs.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Medal Princess

I said in English! The Bandai disasteremakes are bad enough as it is, but the "translation" they got is really something else. It's almost as bad as Breath of Fire 2 at points. As for the ordering, they released them in the order the stories go rather than the order they were originally released in.

EDIT: Wonderful examples:
Silva: (Coughing) I didn't have eaten a unusual today...
Mile: He is not the kind of person who can walk out of a girl who can use his help and keep on a journey. He could be annoying, but please forgive him.
Shannon's Dad: Oh your consciousness.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Your life is forfeit

Hey, but this isn't the first.... ohhh.

I picked up a copy and am curious to experience the game, but lord knows when I'll be able to play. My PSP RPG backlog is a thing of legend. I've been keeping up with releases, but lordy, the time commitment involved....
Old 04-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Medal Princess

I hope you get to it sooner rather than later. I think you'll like it.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Lifetime blunderer

"Oh your consciousness" is a proud member of the unintentionally hilarious lines club. Too bad it joined over a decade after that kind of thing was acceptable.

I only just got my copy of Trails the other day, and I have yet to put too much time into it thanks to FFXII. It's Falcom though, and Falcom games always turn out pretty awesome when they aren't handled by incompetent third parties.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Fun Club Agent

Localization aside, I remember reviewers reaming the games for being extraordinary dull. Is that accurate? Is Trails any better gameplay-wise?
Old 04-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Lifetime blunderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSnake View Post
Localization aside, I remember reviewers reaming the games for being extraordinary dull. Is that accurate? Is Trails any better gameplay-wise?
Combat in Trails is better, but pretty sparse to begin with. It's more of a talk-y RPG than a fight-y RPG.

The trilogy remade by Bandai really is incredibly dull. The PC originals are fairly awesome. It's a bit hard to explain, because untangling the Legend of Heroes series requires a damn treasure map.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Medal Princess

Quote:
Everything in the Trails games is leagues better. The first five Legend of Heroes games are definitely pretty dull. Bandai ruined the gameplay, but even Falcom's originals aren't exactly shining RPGs. The Trails games definitely are, in my opinion.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Obtuse Ham

How long is the game?
Old 04-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Medal Princess

The first one is probably about 40 hours? I think. I haven't played the game since 2006 so it's been a while.

EDIT: Here's a trailer for those curious! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfSK9ZkDhY
Old 04-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Loves to overthink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
I said in English!
No no, we had the first game too!

... Errr, well, this is still the first entry that isn't an embarrassment in English. Anyways, I got it and am a few hours in, clearing sidequests before progressing. I was right in figuring the quality of the dialogue would be high enough that I wouldn't mind it being chatty, though I took almost half the time (12 minutes rather than 20) to actually move around compared to Golden Sun: Dark Dawn! And as story focused as this is I'm actually surprised by how challenging the game can get past the tutorial bits. Throw me in for getting a Grandia vibe too, but I think it's more a general Lunar/Grandia feel; battle system's closer to Lunar at the very least. but with a much needed manual move ability.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:53 PM
grab me some popcorn

I've had no previous experience with the Legend of Heroes games but I've been keeping an eye on this game and it makes me really happy to hear it's got a Lunar/Grandia vibe.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:27 PM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
My PSP RPG backlog is a thing of legend.
So it's literally a legend of heroes?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:43 AM
Loves to overthink.

I'm almost 10 hours in, and this is definitely like one of the better 32-bit RPGs. I also think it's one of the only games I actually prefer in some ways to play on a TV over the PSP screen, but a lot of that has to do with the fact the visuals aren't really crisp, made-for-PSP stuff that gets kinda rough when blown up.

By the way, I think a large part of why the chattiness isn't a big deal is that it has the good sense to not take longer than... what, 5-10 minutes usually? Certainly this isn't like Xenosaga or Metal Gear Solid where you're sitting for hours of cutscenes so long they need save points.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:57 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
I've got several gripes with the localization,
Do tell!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Custom User Title

Quote:
I noticed that there isn't a thread for this game. I hope some people are at least playing it!
I am! Just cleared the prologue, and I'm enjoying it overall. It takes a while to get moving, but it's worth the investment. Battles are definitely strategic and interesting (button mashing won't work!).

And it's (thankfully!) much less gabby than Golden Sun...
Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Dr. of Ys-anomics

Quote:
By the way, does anyone know why that even happened? That seems like a rather large blunder..
I can't find a story as to why, but they were released out of order in Japan for the PSP as well, only they weren't mislabeled.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Dr. of Ys-anomics

Further research shows that those three Legend of Heroes games were actually released out of order for Windows as well, in yet a different order. III&IV were originally PC-9801 games, and III was remade right before V was released for Windows, followed by the release of IV for Windows.

Back on topic, this new one is good stuff. I hope the ratio of talking to dungeon crawling is slightly exaggerated though, as I really dig the combat (and the jazzy battle theme).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
My PSP RPG backlog is a thing of legend.
Same here, but I've decided to set aside most things in favor of this and Tactics Ogre.

Last edited by Wheels; 04-04-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Loves to overthink.

I'm in a similar position for the PSP and am following what you're doing Wheels: I'm invested in Trails already more than most RPGs on the platform, and following that TO would be great to return to.

Anyways, lurking on Neogaf I discovered this game is actually terrible about stuff you can miss. I thankfully didn't miss anything irreplaceable in the Prologue, but I missed one of the books you can get and after seeing I didn't miss any Bracer Points I fell back to a multi-hour old save in order to get it and quests I've missed. For anyone who wants a checklist of what to get, look here.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Spelunker Die

Is this the OCD kind of stuff to miss, or is it things important to plot/gameplay?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Loves to overthink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuyuki View Post
Is this the OCD kind of stuff to miss, or is it things important to plot/gameplay?
With OCD kind of stuff do you mean stuff like items that won't matter in the long run IE some kind of unique equipment, or stuff like the Zodiac Spear in FFXII? It's closer to Zodiac Spear-type stuff at any rate, if you don't get all of those books (which CAN be read and form a novella, though I don't know how good of one) you'll miss out on getting either Estelle or Joshua's ultimate weapon, I'm under the impression you have to choose between the two, and there's sidequests you can miss because of bad timing. If you get all the possible Bracer Points you'll get a Quartz at the start of the second game that's apparently really good.

Honestly, if I had already missed anything with lasting impact in the prologue or at least more than 5 hours behind I wouldn't even bother, but a good chunk of the almost 5 hours I'd lose is from wandering around in vain, so I can probably regain my progress in about 2.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Family Man

I finally found a copy of this today. I've never played this series before, what am I in for?
Old 04-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Lifetime blunderer

You're in for awesome, mostly.

Think Lunar or Grandia - a fun, lighthearted romp with lots of NPC and inter-party chatter, an RPG that focuses mainly on getting the player invested in the world and the characters. The actual game mechanics are no slouch, though. They don't break the mold, but they work well, and the game is filled with all kinds of sidequests and things to see.

For best results, talk to every NPC after every event of any significance whatsoever. Trails has a lot of NPC dialogue, and your enjoyment of the game will likely be directly proportional to how much that interests you.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Medal Princess

I've been really pleased to see some people call it their favorite RPG of the generation and such after finishing it. Sad that so few people around here are playing it.

I haven't quite finished the English version, but my grievances with the localization are wearing away in most cases. At this point, the only stuff that frequently bothers me is the bracket crap and some of the names (Septillion? )
Old 04-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

I'm slowly going through this but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusis View Post
Anyways, lurking on Neogaf I discovered this game is actually terrible about stuff you can miss. I thankfully didn't miss anything irreplaceable in the Prologue, but I missed one of the books you can get and after seeing I didn't miss any Bracer Points I fell back to a multi-hour old save in order to get it and quests I've missed. For anyone who wants a checklist of what to get, look here.
Kinda killed some of my enthusiasm. Trying to ignore getting everything, since I hate playing a game with a guide open, but I can be kinda OCD about getting everything.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Family Man

Could someone help explain the Orb system? According to the manual there is a right and wrong way to set up the quartz, but I don't really get it.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Loves to overthink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Could someone help explain the Orb system? According to the manual there is a right and wrong way to set up the quartz, but I don't really get it.
First of all, there's more information in the Bracer Notebook. You'll want to look at that to know what combinations you want.

Anyways, basically each Quartz has a value, like 1 fire or 5 fire, or something like 2 of the white/black/yellow ones (I know black's Time but I don't recall the rest off the top of my head). The the higher value a single line has (whichever quartz are connected together by a yellow line when you're setting these) the more abilities you can get, IE stronger elemental spells. You'll need to mix elements for some like area attacks however. If there's one issue I have with the manual it's that they didn't set aside a few pages to list all the potential value combinations, kind of like how you have fusion charts in MegaTen manuals.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Answers come in dreams

Played just past the prologue and this is a fantasic game. The comparisons to Grandia and Lunar are very accurate.

I like the battle system - it's simple, yet complicated enough to require some advance thinking and planning.

The story is lighthearted and not too over the top like many RPGs.

As far as the OCD people - don't the side quests and stuff matter because your save and items will carry over to the next game?. Someone in another forum pointed this out, and it makes sense, since the other LoH games did it.

I used to call this TitS, but this game doesn't deserve an acronym like that. If it were substandard or like Sands of Destruction or the Gargharv games, it's ok to call it that.

People may disagree with me, but I think the battle system is kind of similar to the Gargharv games. Movement is more technical like an SRPG, but the basic system and arts remain pretty much the same.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Winning Love by Daylight

I was actually planning on picking this up when it came out. However, when considering it was released on the same day as 3rd Birthday I think, my love for Parasite Eve took over and I went for 3rd Birthday first instead of risking my fortune with a title in a series that may or may not have gotten a bad rep in my eyes due to a certain 1Up reviewer.

... But not only was Trails apparently vastly different than the other Legend titles, 3rd Birthday actually inflicted physical pain on me with its rudimentary chest-high wall-oriented gameplay and mind-implodingly horrible story. So yeah, I clearly chose poorly that day.

But with exams about to go in full swing, I guess the issue is just trying to find time to actually buy and play it. Sounds pretty fun, though. Love the music and the Grandia/Lunar-esque atmosphere.

Tags
artes and crafts , falcom , jayarrpeegees , jrpg comfort food , penalty for being bard , t.i.t.s.