The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-14-2016, 05:30 PM
hidden in snow

RetroUSB's clone NES is set to come out this summer. It's got 720p HDMI, 4 player, built in game genie, and other features. It's based on a new FPGA config, not using salvaged NES chips like the Analogue NT. Wait for reviews on compatibility and quality, since it's not OG hardware. Maybe wait for a couple firmware upgrades.

Unless you already have an NES and are handy with a soldering iron, it's probably the cheapest way to play original games on a new TV. I'm still waiting for Kevtris's Hi-Def NES mod, since it'll do 1080p (it'll look better at 960p windowboxed anyway, since the 240p original resolution X 4 = 960, and you have to scale by non integer (4.5) to get 1080). I wish the mod would offer a x9 scale to upscale clean to 2160p for my 4K set, but I don't think it's powerful enough to handle that.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:03 PM
bunch of bozos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Realistically, I don't know if you want to deal with a 36" CRT. A 27" is as much as single person can likely handle due weight and bulk... anything more than that is a huge use of space and actually slightly dangerous if you don't hire professionals to move it.
Great point. Part of the reason my parents want to unload the thing is that the two of them working together can no longer lift it. I certainly couldn't carry it on my own. No wonder they stopped making these ridiculous things.

That being said, whether I end up owning it or not, I'd like to clean it up a bit in the interest of keeping it alive as long as possible. If anyone knows any musts for keeping CRTs in good repair, I'd be interested in learning.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:50 AM
Chief Servbot

I have a 36 inch CRT. The thing must weigh like 200 pounds. I can't imagine what the shipping must be like to send that overseas. It'd probably be cheaper to buy it a plane ticket...
Old 05-15-2016, 04:05 AM

I fully admit to not knowing Yokohama as well as a foreigner should for living in Japan for 6 years, but... I would imagine you could find CRTs in any of the junk stores (recycle shops) or mom-and-pop type electronics stores.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:02 AM
bunch of bozos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I fully admit to not knowing Yokohama as well as a foreigner should for living in Japan for 6 years, but... I would imagine you could find CRTs in any of the junk stores (recycle shops) or mom-and-pop type electronics stores.
Man, you'd think so! But I haven't had any luck, believe it or not. Found one, once, but it was in the non-functioning "junk" electronics section (also quite small, and a brand I've never even heard of). I've always got an eye open though.

It's just... coming home to find a TV like sitting there and going unloved... It's like if I was a car guy, and came home to find a Porsche that nobody wanted just sitting in the garage.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:05 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

After hooking up my SNES to a big CRT with S-Video for the first time, and being so happy with the level of crispness in the picture, it seems shocking to me that the Genesis apparently doesn't seem to have many readily available S-Video options.

I could either
a) Take my chances with a Retrobit S-Video cable for the Genesis 2, a brand I've felt a bit burned by in the past.

b) Look into aftermarket Genesis/Megadrive clones. Which I think are generally more promising than NES/SNES clones, because usually they don't use special chips in the cartridge.

c) Skip S-Video altogether, and stick with RGB + upscaler/HDMI converter to use on my HDTV. Which I think is generally fine for slower paced games, but lag is still an issue, especially on many of the quicker-paced games I want to play and enjoy for Genesis still.

d) a modded Genesis, which I am seeing available with built in S-Video ports and composite video/audio jacks. Which is looking really attractive since I would then be able to use higher-quality standard S-Video and audio cables for.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:05 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Why do lower priced HDTVs have a native res of 1366x768 even though almost nothing outputs that resolution? Wouldn't a screen with 1280x720 pixels cost less to manufacture and look sharper with more video sources? Alternately, why didn't 1366x768 become a popular output format if that's what half the screens are?
Old 05-15-2016, 10:54 PM
hidden in snow

The most common early 4x3 LCD resolution was 1024x768, and 1366x768 is the 16x9 stretched version of that. As to why didn't manufacturers downgrade after the 720 resolution was cemented, I don't know.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:31 AM
Your life is forfeit

Probably because they had the manufacturing pipeline for that format in place, so it's super cheap. Easy money, because there are plenty of bargain-brand vendors that DGAF about quality.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:46 AM
concern troll

crossposting from the KS thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I just got my SNES Component cables, and I only got to try them for a second, but it looks great! Very little imput lag and easy as plugging in and turning it on.

I'm this isn't the perfect solution some people will crave, but for the price and the convenience, it's the best way for someone like me to play an old console on a new TV. They are supposed to be opening their storefront to the public later this month, and hopefully they will keep adding more products (the original KS also made Genesis cables).
Old 06-01-2016, 11:56 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
crossposting from the KS thread:
Cool, those are out?

Glad the lag is low for you. I'll be using them on a CRT for maximum graphics / efficiency.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Your life is forfeit

I'll definitely give those a try once they're available for general sale, but I'm pretty happy with my official SFC RGB to custom RGB BNC cable solution.

In other news, I have an LED-modded VGA-out-capable Game Gear arriving in the mail sometime this week. Ridiculous.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:31 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Realistically, I don't know if you want to deal with a 36" CRT. A 27" is as much as single person can likely handle due weight and bulk... anything more than that is a huge use of space and actually slightly dangerous if you don't hire professionals to move it.
To echo: I have participated in the moving of a 36" CRT and so have several friends of mine. It is physically hazardous. Staircases and narrow spaces involve a real risk of injuring yourself, destroying the tube, or both. You'd have to pay me real money to try it again.

ETA: haha that was not the last post in the thread as I thought, never mind me.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:41 AM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
In other news, I have an LED-modded VGA-out-capable Game Gear arriving in the mail sometime this week. Ridiculous.
Okay now this is just madness
Old 06-02-2016, 08:04 AM

Is there any word when/if those cables will be available for general purchase? It gives me that "Please take my money!" feeling.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:23 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by balder the brave View Post
Is there any word when/if those cables will be available for general purchase? It gives me that "Please take my money!" feeling.
They posted that they hope to have their online store open by the end of the month.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:04 PM
hidden in snow

I just F5'd for 3 hours to buy one of the first hi-def NES kits. Try your luck at Game-tech.us/shop if anyone is feeling lucky.

Edit: Jason Rauch just tweeted that all 200 kits are sold out. He's been regularly posting pre-modded top loaders on his site though, so that may be the easiest way to get one without waiting for the next print run. He does charge $500, without dogbone controllers .

Also, the HD Retrovision SNES and Genesis cables went on sale today, and are sold out. Will wait until the next shipment on those, if they will have one.

Last edited by John; 07-03-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:30 PM
Spear of Justice

I bought one of the HD Retrovision SNES cables over the weekend for a friend! Will report on the quality once it arrives.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:41 PM
an eeling of Christmas

I would definitely consider picking up one for the Genesis (model 2, naturally) but I can't get one for SNES since I have one of the smaller models that removed the coder for component, or at least the necessary wire traces
Old 07-06-2016, 06:04 AM
Your life is forfeit

I'm moving ever closer to completing my setup. I placed a preorder for one of those custom 8-way SCART switchers last week and recently bought a modded Duo-R and Game Gear. I'm considering having an Atari 2600 RGB modded, and I should definitely invest in a Saturn, but otherwise I'm pretty well set. I need to:

- Fix my Game Gear D-pad
- Reassemble my PSIO-modded PlayStation (once my PSIO arrives)
- Figure out how to get my GameCube to run Swiss (for the enhanced GB Player homebrew software)
- Organize the hell out of the rat's nest that is my office

Soon, I will have almost all the old systems worth having. And no time to ever use them at all. Then I will die and pass along this collection as an inheritance to someone who doesn't care.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:39 AM
That bug is NUTS!

A while back I purchased an aftermarket SNES S-Video cable that was well reviewed and worked brilliantly for a bit, then my CRT stopped working. The screen still powers on but won't display on any input or channel. I've tried the same SNES on RF coax, an NES, a Genesis and a laser disc player with the same results. Don't know if the cable somehow damaged the television or if it was a coincidence, but what a setback.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:46 PM
hidden in snow

I received my Hi-Def NES last week, and... am still trying to install it. I'm pretty good at soldering, but pretty bad at de-soldering. I've got a cheap desoldering iron with a bulb pump, which works alright at taking out about 35 of the 40 pins per PPU/CPU chip. The other pins are pretty tightly attached to the ground plane, and don't want to budge.

I don't really want to spend $150-300 on a true desoldering gun with a vacuum pump, since I would just use it for this one job. I'm asking around at the local maker spaces, but have struck out so far.

Moral of the story, if you don't have access to a vacuum desoldering gun, just send your kit and console to one of the approved modders.

The finished product looks nice though, I'll see it myself some day. Same as Analogue NT for cheaper.

https://twitter.com/gametechus

Edit: I got the CPU out, but it brought a trace with it. There's probably still a way to salvage it, but it's dependent on me getting the PPU out without issue. Hopefully I didn't just kill this board. Definitely not an amateur project.

Last edited by John; 07-11-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Edit: I got the CPU out, but it brought a trace with it. There's probably still a way to salvage it, but it's dependent on me getting the PPU out without issue. Hopefully I didn't just kill this board. Definitely not an amateur project.
Sorry to hear about your troubles! Desoldering is tricky business; the cell phone repair outfit I used to work for also had dedicated solder/desolder technicians with far more experience than me.

My friend is pretty happy with his HD Retrovision SNES component cable. Although it's definitely a softer picture than my Framemeister, the colors are very rich and it's not dropping frames like it would if you plugged the system straight into a flat panel via composite/s-video. Also this cable is about one-sixth the price of my 'Meister, so it seems like a very attractive alternative for better SNES video.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:50 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
My friend is pretty happy with his HD Retrovision SNES component cable. Although it's definitely a softer picture than my Framemeister, the colors are very rich and it's not dropping frames like it would if you plugged the system straight into a flat panel via composite/s-video. Also this cable is about one-sixth the price of my 'Meister, so it seems like a very attractive alternative for better SNES video.
I'm impressed that the Retrovision component cables aren't generating much lag on HDTVs - very good to hear.

I still haven't hooked mine up to my CRT and tried them because of baby. :P
Old 07-14-2016, 06:53 AM
That bug is NUTS!

I saw Parish posting about this on Twitter. Oh man.

Nintendo Classic Mini

I noticed Castlevania 3 isn't included, which could POSSIBLY mean that at the core of this thing is a Famiclone chip. If I recall, Castlevania 3 was one of the few games that modern Famiclones couldn't quite render properly.

It might also just be a chip running a stripped down VC emulator.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:02 AM
concern troll

No carts, no sell. It looks cute and all but I would gladly pay more for an official HDMI NES that played all my old games.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:58 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
Now I have a new problem: my modded Famicom looks SO sharp that it's comparatively making my stock SNES look like doo-doo over RGB! And now I discover that the best SNES RGB signals come from either 1) a modded SNES Mini or 2) a special variant of the original SNES with a consolidated architecture called the "1CHIP" on the board.
Finally got myself a 1CHIP SNES and plugged it into the Framemeister; now the image is as sharp as my RGB-modded A/V Famicom. Unfortunately the ugly faint vertical line near the middle of the screen is still there, but I understand that installing a custom RGB amp will take care of this common SNES video issue.

I can now definitively say that if you've gone to the trouble of upscaling your SNES video via RGB, you will also want a 1CHIP-variant SNES for the best possible picture.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:36 PM
concern troll

A friend hooked me up with a pretty good late-model CRT with component input, and with the SNES component cables this is easily the best way I've every played these games. I never had a CRT this nice and making the leap to modern HDTVs always hurt the experience.

Now I just need to find a good local retro gaming store and maybe throw down for a component output NES.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:05 PM
an eeling of Christmas

I need to get my SNES modded, but I imagine that costs money...
Old 09-11-2016, 09:17 AM
hidden in snow

The SNES component cables are back in stock. I have to pass for now, because I read they aren't compatible with any new Vizio TV's, and I have one of their mid-range 4K sets.

Tags
nostalgia , retro games , struggle against entropy