The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-02-2016, 08:47 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I'm really glad that I've stuck it out without consulting a map, because finding the flying castle all on my own made me feel awesome. I was just running around looking for items that I'd missed; I wasn't expecting to find an entire extra zone. I thought for a second that I saw something in the distance during a lightning flash, and sure enough...

Oh, and I hit a pretty infuriating bug tonight. I tried to jump down a shaft from the aforementioned discovery, and instead of the usual salt bat taking my salt as after most falling deaths, it said that my salt had been taken by an obelisk. Sure enough, I put on the salt-tracking ring and found it: an inanimate object several screens away from where I'd fallen suffused with that tell-tale white cloudy aura that I was completely powerless to do anything about. I Googled it just now, and it's apparently a known bug. I guess I didn't need that 30k salt anyway...
Old 06-02-2016, 09:20 PM
disguised king of surfing

jbear you sound like you are feeling

salty
Old 06-08-2016, 06:28 PM
contains words & diagrams

I beat this the other day and haven't had the wherewithal to write up my final thoughts until now.

Ultimate conclusion: I liked it! I liked it so much I devoured it with the same kind of insatiable hunger I reserved for Souls and Supergiant games. It does an admirable job of taking its DNA and spinning that into a game that does itself justice.

Magic stayed incredibly powerful all the way up to the end, probably too powerful honestly since I ended up not having to take more than a couple tries at everything but The Witch of the Lake and the final boss (because they have what amounts to a one hit kill move, it's really bad design). Once you get that ring that supercharges your spells you're pretty much an unstoppable god. I branched out into the Blood of the Betrayer creed to try out blood magic and that just ended up being weaker than my normal fire and lightning combo! I was going to stick with them but their MP regen item was so damn bad that I ended up going and converting to the mage creed for the few areas.

The creed system kind of fell on its face though, making it hold true to their inspiration of covenants. The ability to unlock extra healing and mana flasks while also boosting up your vendors is really cool in theory, but I never felt like it ever mattered. I started off as Devara because why not, gained a couple devotion levels, then switched to The Three because the only real documentation on the game I could find seeming to indicate The Three were better for mages/generalists but at no point did my Three vendors give me anything different than Devara aside from less prayers at the cleric I think. So that aspect never mattered, and I'm still really unsure of why the mage creed is locked away in the last 15% of the game or so. I started as a mage, shouldn't I start with their creed?

So yeah, the game is precisely what you'd expect out of a game that takes its lineage from the Souls series and it's really good, just understand that it also inherits a couple weird design missteps when it could have improved on those concepts instead.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:19 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
I beat this the other day and haven't had the wherewithal to write up my final thoughts until now.
Same! I really liked it from start to finish. I was initially a bit peeved that I literally fell into the ending when I could see the scarecrow off to my right and had no way to go back and check since my save instantly converted to New Game+, but a quick check online showed that it was just a binary dialogue option to pick a different ending that I wouldn't have wanted anyway.

I was also convinced that there was a zone I had yet to explore, which I wasted quite a bit of time trying to get into (the NPC well hidden at the bottom of a bunch of near-blind jumps looking for a Bloody Writ), but it turns out it was just a single room for players that engage in the sanctuary desecration/slaughter part of the game, which didn't interest me at all. The game doesn't have a completion %, but if it did, I think I was knocking on or at 100%.

I didn't really engage with the Creed system at all, outside of handing in trophies and ranking up with my starting choice, the Iron Ones. That was still super useful though, because the free lightning stones every rest enabled me to enchant my weapon damage regularly in cases that I probably wouldn't have otherwise, since it wasn't costing me consumables, and lightning damage seemed to perform quite well against many of the game's more annoying enemies.

I too felt a bit OP in the end-game, and the only bosses to take me more than a few tries in the last 1/4 were the Witch and a pair that I don't remember the names of: some kind of skinless abomination that chased me around while a sorceress dropped mines. I was OP in a very different fashion though: I found a tower shield that had 100% stagger reduction and 80% or greater damage reduction against all damage types, so I could hide behind my shield indefinitely and pick my openings. It weighed a fuck-ton though, so at one point I sunk 10 black pearls or so in a row all towards endurance, but it was totally worth it. The end boss did have a grab attack the bypassed it, but he didn't use it enough for him to be much of a problem.

Oh, and my gun in my alt set was pretty OP in the end too. I didn't use it much, because ammo, but with high damage and high stagger it could stop pretty much every regular enemy dead in their tracks if I was willing to burn a bunch of rounds. Even those heavy armour polearm users who were a giant PITA in melee eventually went down to a sustained barrage.

Anyway, yeah, now that I'm out the other end, I remain equally as mystified that this game isn't incredibly popular here. It is everything that Talking Time loves.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:01 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and apparently was playing in a completely different style the either of you. Two Handed Sword + Prayer also ended up pretty overpowered, with the damage\magic damage reduction spells substantially boosting my heavy armor defense, and the holy enchant on weapons making several bosses trivial. I did not use a shield, and the slow roll was actually enough for almost everything.

The creed items were actually super important to me, though it was just the stamina restoring one that I used in quantity. There's really no penalty for switching creeds that I could find, and I swapped a bit between the Three and Devera for weapon\miracle access, respectively.

I agree completely with the earlier comments made that the game badly needs a map. Two many of the dark corridors blend together, and while it definitely had plenty of unique areas, it was difficult to remember where I needed to return to later on as I gained new abilities.

Overall, though, a lot of fun, a good incorporation of Dark Souls elements, and, given this thread, excellent support for build diversity.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:26 PM
Banned

So it's Steam Sale time, this game got patched to run at 60 fps, and it came out this year and isn't showing up on any GOTY lists. Yay or nay?
Old 12-22-2016, 09:37 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Big "yay" from me, but Tefari and I are Salt and Sanctuary's official TT cheerleaders. It's not without its faults, but it's 2D Dark Souls meets Metroidvania, and criminally unpopular around here given that. Pretty much the only actual criticism that I ever see of it is that the art is ugly, and, granted, the artist shouldn't ever be allowed to draw human faces, but if you can look past that then it's a really great game that most people aren't even willing to try.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
This game really is 2D Dark Souls, which means that it is Castlevania, which means that it is aces. I am having an amazing time with it, and I can't believe that it is not more popular, especially on Talking Time of all places. I haven't fallen as deeply or as quickly for a game as I have for this in quite some time. I'm writing about it now instead of working because all I want to do is get back home and play more of it.
Quote:
I really liked it from start to finish...
Anyway, yeah, now that I'm out the other end, I remain equally as mystified that this game isn't incredibly popular here. It is everything that Talking Time loves.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:38 PM
Banned

I guess what it really comes down to is if it has motion blur or not, which I will only know once I try it. I had to quit Valdis Story because of that.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:21 PM

I outright enjoy this game more than Dark Souls 3 so there's that. I couldn't tell you if it has motion blur or not though. I don't feel like it did but I also don't play 2D games much so I might have just not noticed.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:54 AM
Banned

Got it. Seems like it is more playable for me than Valdis Story. I'll be trying it out over the next few days though with my finger on the refund trigger because I can't stand blurry 2d games anymore.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:14 AM

I can't imagine you won't like it TK, unless it fails the blur test.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:44 AM
Banned

I didn't experience any discomfort when I tried it so I will be digging in after I finish my current game.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:21 PM
We just don't know.

You guys said it was on sale so I went to look and it was already in my library, well then
Old 12-23-2016, 02:23 PM
Good Bee

Thanks to the bump in this thread pointing out the sale, the good word from people whose tastes tend to align with my own, my good impression from the trailers, and my good experience with similar games, I picked this up yesterday as well, even though its sale isn't quite enough to bring it below my "grab everything on the wishlist below $5" culling. No idea when I'll get around to playing it, though.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:35 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Bought it, played it, refund is currently processing. If your central gameplay scenario is skill-based boss battles then give me the boss battles. I don't have time for bull shit towers with zombies and there's some kind of double jump mechanic teased? No, I will have the bosses now, if you please.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Bought it, played it, refund is currently processing. If your central gameplay scenario is skill-based boss battles then give me the boss battles. I don't have time for bull shit towers with zombies and there's some kind of double jump mechanic teased? No, I will have the bosses now, if you please.
If you played and liked those exact things (platforming mechanic notwithstanding) from Dark Souls then I say you are a fool for writing this off after only getting to the boss of Undead Burg. If you didn't play or like Dark Souls then disregard me.

Though it is pretty unfair to characterize the bosses as the central gameplay scenario just based on the first area. There's equally as much emphasis on enemies and their placement throughout areas in this game as there is in Dark Souls, which starts pretty much identically to this game with braindead zombie tower and quickly gets more interesting after the first two bosses or so. Also the platforming in this game is actually meaningful and your ability to platform expands periodically with your progress to the point that I'd say double jump is easily the least interesting thing about it (not on par with Super Metroid or anything though).
Old 12-25-2016, 06:00 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Never played a Souls before. Whatever this game scratches, I don't think I itch there.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:13 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Never played a Souls before. Whatever this game scratches, I don't think I itch there.
Yeah, these aren't boss rush games, they are exploration games with cool bosses.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:07 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
Yeah, these aren't boss rush games, they are exploration games with cool bosses.
Reckon I'll spin that $12 into one of those shiny retro-style character action games we've been seeing more of. I like things to be loud, pixelicious, and not too complex
Old 12-25-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Reckon I'll spin that $12 into one of those shiny retro-style character action games we've been seeing more of. I like things to be loud, pixelicious, and not too complex
You might like Titan Souls, which despite its unfortunate naming connection isn't by From and is much more boss rush puzzley, or Furi.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:15 PM
New Video World is out!

Hey Ample Vigour try Slain: Back From Hell
Old 12-26-2016, 10:55 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Thank you for your suggestions. I am weighing my options.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:05 AM
Banned

I don't know what's more surprising - how good this game is or how few Talking Timers have played it.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
I don't know what's more surprising - how good this game is or how few Talking Timers have played it.
I was going to blame it on not being on Steam right away, but the Bloodborne thread is at 60 pages, so I got nothing.

I should play through it again, see if they've made any changes/not just breeze through chain lightning everything to death.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:54 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Hey Ample Vigour try Slain: Back From Hell

That looks very good.

Maybe it deserves its own thread?
Old 01-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
It is a mystery.jpg

I guarantee it's not through lack of trying: Tefari and I bring it up at pretty much every opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
I should play through it again, see if they've made any changes/not just breeze through chain lightning everything to death.
I don't know if quite enough time has passed yet, but I am looking forward to giving it another go as a caster of some nature. I pretty much never cast a spell my first time through.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:43 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
Thanks to the bump in this thread pointing out the sale, the good word from people whose tastes tend to align with my own, my good impression from the trailers, and my good experience with similar games, I picked this up yesterday as well, even though its sale isn't quite enough to bring it below my "grab everything on the wishlist below $5" culling. No idea when I'll get around to playing it, though.
Hey I finally got around to playing this, and it's really good. Having a lot of fun chopping spookums up with big scissors.

Others have given better criticism than i can; it's flawed (I would never play it without a progression guide in a million years, for example; life's too short to scour every inch of the world for the long-forgotten-previously-invisible-now-visible path you unlocked after each new brand) but I'm enjoying myself a lot. A great purchase for sure.

My favorite part, though, is something nobody's mentioned yet; every time you start the game, it pops up the following autosave warning (bold added):

Quote:
This game saves data automatically.

Do not turn off your whole entire computer while this icon is visible.
Your whole entire computer! The whole thing! All of it! Go ahead and turn off bits of it here and there, yank out the graphics card, toss the hard drive out the window, chop off a big meaty slice right off the corner, everything will be fine. Just, please, whatever you do, don't turn off the whole entire thing.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:08 AM
Cool Bunny

It looks like the vita version of this is out now. It wasn't listed in the new release section of the vita store because of how useless sony have committed to making their interface (I'm guessing that because it's cross buy the store considers it to have been released whenever the PS4 version came out), but search for it and there it is. I hear it's good?

Edit:

Quote:
It is everything that Talking Time loves.
Now that it's on a handheld this is more true.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:27 AM
120 Days

This is 8 dollars for one more day on psn. I bought it! Playing a Paladin.

I HAVE QUESTIONS:
- I have Heavy Armour Class 2, but when i equip I can barely move, can't roll or jump. But almost invincible. What stat do I need to use that properly?
- is this game super imbalanced towards magic or dexterity? SHould I re-roll? I'm fairly early in still.
- any suggested builds? I like Souls in theory but get annoyed at the 3dness, if that makes sense? Salt is cool because it is 2d, and just feels like an especially evil Simon's Quest (that's a positive). That said: I don't want to hobble myself with a shitty class.

THANKS GANG!!!

COMMENT:
Can Charlie Murder be re-released or made backwards compat on xbone????
Old 10-31-2017, 08:33 AM
Outraged!

Like most souls games, magic is pretty overpowered, if you feel like hanging back and fireballing every boss to death. Takes a while before you get higher level spells, though, and the utility of the non fireball/chain lightning spells is pretty low.

Endurance determines your equip load, right?