The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-31-2017, 10:57 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

Idle games are unethical, worthy of every hacky "video games!" or "phones!" comment. For example, you are going to die someday and idle games are designed to keep you staring at a screen doing the dumbest bullshit imaginable. If they have interesting bits, you quickly stop paying attention to them because they distract from valuable clicking and staring.

Tell me about cookie clicker. Is this game different? Is it "good" or "defensible"?

Wikipedia:
Quote:
In an issue of Digital Culture & Society, Paolo Ruffino notes that the game is "supposed to be a parody of Farmville" (a popular game which Ruffino says could be played easily with an algorithm, as the optimal action is always obvious), but that it is "equally addictive". Thus, the game "explores the absence of human agency".
Hmm. So does AdCap. I've played that game and it can definitely go to hell. Is this game more clever? Is that an excuse? This isn't a phone game but is it counting on the same febrile compulsion? At least soulless corporations profit from those, does anyone benefit from this?

I for sure have an actual problem with these types of games. Maybe you don't! Some people can handle the devil's apps. But if you do: friendly reminder: you can delete the app right now. Request an account ban. Clear your cache. Whatever.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:11 PM
forbidden noise

the best thing about cookie clicker was that it showed me how completely ok a game candy box was
Old 08-01-2017, 07:25 AM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

Cookie Clicker is an affront to man and god and deserving of your hatred.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
  1. Use FireFox or Chrome
  2. Press F12
  3. Click the "Console" tab
  4. Type the following command:
    Game.Earn(Game.cookies * 10)
  5. Press Enter
  6. Repeat as desired

Congratulations: you just retook hours of your life.

Q. Is this cheating?
A. No. It's right there in the command: you earned those cookies.

Q. OK, sure. But will it give me the cheater achievement?
A. No. If you want that achievement, I think you'll need to type Game.goldenCookie.click() instead, but that's off the top of my head and might be inaccurate.
Yearly reminder that you don't need to lose dozens of hours to this game
Old 08-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Yearly reminder that you don't need to lose dozens of hours to this game
But I can, though, right?

*goes back to clicking*
Old 08-01-2017, 02:47 PM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
I for sure have an actual problem with these types of games. Maybe you don't! Some people can handle the devil's apps. But if you do: friendly reminder: you can delete the app right now. Request an account ban. Clear your cache. Whatever.
Done! more than a year and a half ago. And the two I put significant time into (40-80 hours) managed to give me a distaste for FTP games entirely, so in that sense they did do me some good....
Old 08-01-2017, 03:38 PM
an eeling of Christmas

cookie clicker is meh until you get to the point where the grandma-watchers show up and set their eyes upon you in harsh judgement for your crimes
Old 08-02-2017, 08:45 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I have Cookie Clicker, Factory Idle, and Reactor Idle all running 24/7 on different browser tabs on my work PC.

Anyway, I've been away from Cookie Clicker long enough (I've been clean ~220 days, according to the stats screen) that some stuff is already new to me before the big update. I just applied my first sugar lump to unlock the new "minigame" at the temples, and almost doubled my passive CPS (now at 3.6 octillion CPS).
Old 10-12-2017, 11:51 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Got a new one for everyone!

Universal Paperclips
Old 10-13-2017, 12:19 PM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Got a new one for everyone!

Universal Paperclips
Damn you. I always get obsessed with these for a week and then regret every second I put into them. I'm at work right now, daydreaming about how many paperclips I'll have when I get home...
Old 10-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Damn you. I always get obsessed with these for a week and then regret every second I put into them. I'm at work right now, daydreaming about how many paperclips I'll have when I get home...
💋💋
Old 10-13-2017, 12:29 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Damn you. I always get obsessed with these for several months and then regret every second I put into them.
On a slow Friday afternoon at work, no less. You monster.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:31 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
On a slow Friday afternoon at work, no less. You monster.
💋💋
Old 10-13-2017, 03:48 PM
the :motion: stands

Hint: if you screw around and end up unlocking an upgrade that says "go back to the beginning", they mean it. On the other hand:

I'M FREEEEEEEEE
Old 10-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Hint: if you screw around and end up unlocking an upgrade that says "go back to the beginning", they mean it. On the other hand:

I'M FREEEEEEEEE
Yeah, this is designed to escape certain deadlock conditions, but it's poorly explained (it sounds like a prestige option, but it totally isn't, it just resets you to nothing). You unlock it by using quantum computing during negative quantum computing conditions (when the box isn't dark) and spamming it so much that you hit -10000 ops.

One of these deadlock conditions that you want to be aware of is, don't invest in more than like 30 processors early on. After a few hours into the game, you get a 70k op cost upgrade, then a 100 trust upgrade after that, which unlocks the next stage of the game. But if you're at like a 40/42 processor/memory split, then it'll take multiple (IRL) years to accumulate enough trust from clips alone to hit 70 memory you need to reach 70k ops. (Quantum computing lets you exceed your cap by a little bit, but even with an autoclicker it's almost impossible to hit quantum conditions that let you go more than about 10% over your cap). Basically you want to maintain about a 3:7 processor:memory ratio, at least for the first several hours. If you invest too heavily in processors before getting past that hurdle, then your only reasonable solution is hitting that (non-prestige) reset button. Fortunately you'll only be a few hours into the game at most at that point, so it's not a huge deal.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:28 PM
Shields must fall

This game game is better than most of it's ilk because it has an ending. I turned all of reality into paper clips. And thus ends my tale.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:04 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
Yeah, this is designed to escape certain deadlock conditions, but it's poorly explained (it sounds like a prestige option, but it totally isn't, it just resets you to nothing). You unlock it by using quantum computing during negative quantum computing conditions (when the box isn't dark) and spamming it so much that you hit -10000 ops.

One of these deadlock conditions that you want to be aware of is, don't invest in more than like 30 processors early on. After a few hours into the game, you get a 70k op cost upgrade, then a 100 trust upgrade after that, which unlocks the next stage of the game. But if you're at like a 40/42 processor/memory split, then it'll take multiple (IRL) years to accumulate enough trust from clips alone to hit 70 memory you need to reach 70k ops. (Quantum computing lets you exceed your cap by a little bit, but even with an autoclicker it's almost impossible to hit quantum conditions that let you go more than about 10% over your cap). Basically you want to maintain about a 3:7 processor:memory ratio, at least for the first several hours. If you invest too heavily in processors before getting past that hurdle, then your only reasonable solution is hitting that (non-prestige) reset button. Fortunately you'll only be a few hours into the game at most at that point, so it's not a huge deal.
I was able to consistently break my cap by about 8000 with a small autohotkey script to just keep clicking during peak quantum times, but yeah, you really do want to pour most of your trusts into memory.

I turned the universe into paperclips in just a bit less than six hours.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:58 AM
McBear

Wow. I actually beat this game. <3
Old 10-14-2017, 04:22 PM
D=

I tried playing that paperclip game earlier today and my laptop shut itself down out of spite. Looking back, it probably did me a favor.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:00 PM
concern troll

Edit: nevermind, I'm a dumbass, I was totally ignoring the batteries ...

so, this paperclip game... this thing for space exploration, and it wants 10 million MW/Sec ... is that a joke? I'm not clicking this stupid
+100 solar farms thing 100 thousand times to get to that point.
Am I missing something?
Old 10-15-2017, 10:27 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Edit: nevermind, I'm a dumbass, I was totally ignoring the batteries ...

so, this paperclip game... this thing for space exploration, and it wants 10 million MW/Sec ... is that a joke? I'm not clicking this stupid
+100 solar farms thing 100 thousand times to get to that point.
Am I missing something?
That brings up a really useful point that I wish I'd learned a lot earlier, though. For anything you need to click multiple times, you only need to click it once. After that, you can hit enter, or hold down enter for continuous clicks. Makes the more click-spammy parts of the game a hell of a lot easier (and less obvious/disturbing to coworkers...)
Old 10-31-2017, 09:27 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post

i think i'm in a deadlock condition - I unlocked swarm computing, but now my production of clips has stopped completely. HALP
Old 10-31-2017, 10:22 AM

Is it possible you're out of matter? If so, you should have a collective 6 octillion clips or so if you sell everything. Use that to buy the 5 O upgrade
Old 10-31-2017, 10:40 AM
concern troll

I have to confess my shame: I started playing Crush Crush after the Game Grumps episodes. I mostly just let it run on my computer at home, so soon it'll be my "most played" steam game for all time ...
Old 10-31-2017, 11:12 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Is it possible you're out of matter? If so, you should have a collective 6 octillion clips or so if you sell everything. Use that to buy the 5 O upgrade
Yeah, this is the intended path at this point. The game is changing things up on you, so you need to liquidate your entire current infrastructure to change gears.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:02 PM

honestly the saddest part is that i could immediately tell what part of the game he was at with just "my swarms stopped making clips wat do"
Old 11-01-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Yeah, this is the intended path at this point. The game is changing things up on you, so you need to liquidate your entire current infrastructure to change gears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
honestly the saddest part is that i could immediately tell what part of the game he was at with just "my swarms stopped making clips wat do"
actually no - something was bugged on IE (work computer) and the swarm computing had a whole bunch of options like "clad the swarm" and "feed the swarm"

I restarted in Chrome and got into space. How can I speed up probes dying in combat to unlock Honor?
Old 11-01-2017, 12:53 PM

nevermind, finished the game. all hail Clippy
Old 11-21-2017, 09:31 PM
King Of Space-Time

Tags
abcdefcookiemonster , cookie clicker , lamb meets slaughter , numbers go up