The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-26-2015, 04:18 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Is VI the Ark of Napishtim, or the first PSP game? Can't recall off the top of my head.
VI is Ark of Napishtim, which was also the first PSP game (albeit not from XSEED) .

This is cool news, because I've only played the PSP version of VI, which is a horrible, horrible mess... that I still managed to playthrough.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:29 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Huh, okay, because I was familiar with the PS2 (port?) of it, no idea that it was a PSP game.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:30 PM
Mad Overlord

So how does it play? I loved Oath and Origins, but was less impressed by the other games in the series I tried.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:35 PM

VI is the progenitor of Oath and Origins by which I mean it is the base of gameplay those two built off of. It was ported to the PS2 from PC by Konami (I think they did the PSP port as well).
Old 03-26-2015, 06:06 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Oh hey I stalled out on a playthrough of VI several years ago. Should be a perfectly fine excuse to finally beat it and also pay XSEED money.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

April 28th for Ys VI on Steam. Despite the fact that it's not as good as Oath or Origins, the trailer for Ys VI before anyone even thought of localizing it was what really got me into exploring the Ys series so I'm incredibly excited for it.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:13 PM
An Animal of Joy

Sweet, I'll play this. I love Seven and Celceta so I'm happy with it, as long as the platforming doesn't get as shitty as parts of Origin/OiF. I'd still play it either way.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:20 AM

I've been replaying Ys 1 Chronicles and enjoying it. Though I did get to what is IMO the worst part of the game, the Darm teleporter maze.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:10 AM

I like the teleporter maze. A small help is to realize that each teleporter exit is usually near another teleporter that sends you directly back.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Ys VI is out on Steam!
Old 05-05-2015, 08:30 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

So, ah... I really like Ys, and Ys VI was my entry point into the series. I have quite a lot to say about it that would blow the character limit here out of the water, but if anyone's interested, you can read my thoughts about Ys VI here.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:48 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Got a bug on the Steam version of VI where I'm permanently poisoned unless I'm constantly wearing the ring where you aren't affected by poison. Thank god I had the 20,000g because this is super fucking annoying.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:51 PM

I beat 1 yesterday! So this morning I started up 2. Man, 2 starts off really hard, but I got the Fire magic, so it'll be fine from here. Now I can finally beat that stupid boss in the Rasteenie Mine.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:59 PM

Ys II turns into a bullet hell shooter faster than you'd think.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:17 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Much less so than IV: Mask of the Sun, where half the game is magic-only bosses.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:42 AM

Wasn't it Dawn of Ys that was overloaded with magic-shmup boss battles?
Old 05-06-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Ys II turns into a bullet hell shooter faster than you'd think.
Yeah, this isn't my first go-round on 2, so I know what's coming. Still, totally looking forward to it. I wish more ARPGs were like this instead of "run around, hit things with sword."
Old 05-06-2015, 06:36 AM
Little Waves

I also started Ys II—the PC88 version. I got as far as that guy's basement and realized I could exploit the combination of an environmental bottleneck and infinitely respawning enemies for nearly effortless grinding. All it takes is holding down the space bar to shoot fireballs and hitting the free heal two rooms over whenever your MP runs out (and one MP gets you about three and a half seconds of constant fireballs, so it takes forever for that to happen). I gained five levels and had enough gold to buy all the best equipment available at this point. I normally avoid grinding whenever possible, but this game establishes early and often that it's required to progress (as you'll get stonewalled by bosses you can't hurt if your level is too low). If I have to do it, I might as well do it well.

I also briefly started up the Ys Complete version of the game and was surprised at how much padding there is. There's more dialogue, more characters, entirely new scenes, and expanded environments adding nothing. It still basically stays out of your way by modern standards, but the original version really shines in the immediacy of everything.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:01 AM

The padding and dialogue in Ys games ever since 'Complete' is pretty noticeable. From the newer ones that I've played, Ys I+II come out the best, albeit with a lot of frontloading. It's nice how they are rendering the setting and world better and better now, they just need to start doing that without testing the player's patience.

What PC88 emulator are you using? I should give that version a shot if it isn't too fussy to get going.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:09 AM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Ys VI is out on Steam!
Does it have the additional content from the PS2 version?
Old 05-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Dr. of Ys-anomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Does it have the additional content from the PS2 version?
Don't think so, but it does have a new catastrophe mode that basically eliminates healing items and makes them work more like Oath in Felghana (note this isn't a difficulty mode on its own, it can be paired with any of the other difficulties).
Old 05-06-2015, 11:16 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
I also started Ys II—the PC88 version. I got as far as that guy's basement and realized I could exploit the combination of an environmental bottleneck and infinitely respawning enemies for nearly effortless grinding. All it takes is holding down the space bar to shoot fireballs and hitting the free heal two rooms over whenever your MP runs out (and one MP gets you about three and a half seconds of constant fireballs, so it takes forever for that to happen). I gained five levels and had enough gold to buy all the best equipment available at this point. I normally avoid grinding whenever possible, but this game establishes early and often that it's required to progress (as you'll get stonewalled by bosses you can't hurt if your level is too low). If I have to do it, I might as well do it well.

I also briefly started up the Ys Complete version of the game and was surprised at how much padding there is. There's more dialogue, more characters, entirely new scenes, and expanded environments adding nothing. It still basically stays out of your way by modern standards, but the original version really shines in the immediacy of everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
The padding and dialogue in Ys games ever since 'Complete' is pretty noticeable. From the newer ones that I've played, Ys I+II come out the best, albeit with a lot of frontloading. It's nice how they are rendering the setting and world better and better now, they just need to start doing that without testing the player's patience.

What PC88 emulator are you using? I should give that version a shot if it isn't too fussy to get going.
So, you guys should never play Ys 7. That game is 99% padding. I remember hitting a point where I was spamming through dialogue and thought "You know, I would have beaten any other Ys game by now".
Old 05-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
Wasn't it Dawn of Ys that was overloaded with magic-shmup boss battles?
Probably, yeah. Can never keep all those straight.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:05 PM
A real human being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
So, you guys should never play Ys 7. That game is 99% padding. I remember hitting a point where I was spamming through dialogue and thought "You know, I would have beaten any other Ys game by now".
Ys 7 was my... 3rd or 4th Ys. Figured playing on Nightmare would be fun since it was great in Oath. Holy crap was I ever wrong. Not only was there way too much dialogue, once you get to the "oh shit" point in the story and have to revisit dungeons, you have to grind like crazy to stand a chance, and there are only a handful of enemies you can fight that are around the level you need to get decent XP from them. Wrote it off at that point.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:22 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Yeah I stopped right about then too. It was fun but...god, so much padding.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:26 PM
A real human being

I considered restarting on a lower difficulty to get through it but could never bring myself to go through all the dialogue again.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:24 PM

Ys VII has the overdone story and the extra grindy party system. I think as long as they're doing parties I'm probably done buying new new Ys games.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Totally Radicola!

Quote:
Got a bug on the Steam version of VI where I'm permanently poisoned unless I'm constantly wearing the ring where you aren't affected by poison. Thank god I had the 20,000g because this is super fucking annoying.

Are you wearing the Galban armor? It auto-poisons.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ys VII has the overdone story and the extra grindy party system. I think as long as they're doing parties I'm probably done buying new new Ys games.
Good call. Memories of Celceta is just as bad with the dialogue and padding, plus the gameplay is a step down from what they already had. I wish they'd bring the Oath gameplay back.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:32 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Cranked out the rest of Ark, was pretty good and breezy. Went ahead and cleared it on my normal level 49 Adol with level 10 weapons (killed the upgraded mini-bosses), then went back and used a trainer to set my level and weapons at max because I wasn't about to grind bombs for hours to kill a superboss.

Fought that guy, used up all my full health elixirs, then went ahead and saw how ridiculous a level 60 Adol is with level 11 swords. Turns out you can two-shot every endgame boss with sword magic, haha. Have to get back to my Origins playthrough here sooner or later, and maybe dig out my PSP and take another crack at Seven.

Tags
all the ladies want adol , archeozoic big hole , bump and grind , cranky bout ys7 , dogi crushes your walls , falcom , ladies love cool adol , pronounced "eece" , wheels , you're breaking my walls