The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Dr. of Ys-anomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Aside from the burst charge, I don't don't remember you being able to heal in boss battles in Oath's Normal mode on the PSP version. Man, that game was brutal, and I don't just mean the voice acting!
yeah I was referring to the burst charge, which doesn't heal on PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
I was playing on Normal, and I already said the enemies were giving me more trouble than the boss.
Which character?
Old 01-19-2013, 08:31 AM

I just found out that the various 16 bit versions of Ys III (PCE, Genesis, SNES) had significant gameplay/difficulty differences. Ys III may be a red-headed stepchild, but the unfair difficulty has always been my only nonnegotiable gripe (with the SNES version)... have I been missing out on a better game all this time?

I can't find much on the NEC, Sharp, and MSX versions, but I'd wager a guess that the console versions were overall better.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Oaths in Felghana is the remake of III, but I believe the Genesis version of original III is widely regarded as the best of the litter.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Dr. of Ys-anomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Oaths in Felghana is the remake of III, but I believe the Genesis version of original III is widely regarded as the best of the litter.
Well if Oath in Felghana is a part of that litter then it is far and away the best version. I've never found any version of the original to be all that great.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:47 PM

I'm about halfway through the Genesis version right now. So far it is a lot more balanced than what I remember with the SNES version. In that version I used to grind to max level to beat the Fire Dragon boss. And even at max level so early in the game you could still make little slip ups that depleted big chunks of your health.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

I haven't seen this posted elsewhere, and this is probably the most relevant thread for this news, so...

Ys I & II Chronicles is coming out for Steam on February 14th. Looks like the two games combined are going to be priced at $15.00, less if you pre-order.

God willing, we may just get the PC version of Ys VI one of these days, too.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Dr. of Ys-anomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I haven't seen this posted elsewhere, and this is probably the most relevant thread for this news, so...

Ys I & II Chronicles is coming out for Steam on February 14th. Looks like the two games combined are going to be priced at $15.00, less if you pre-order.

God willing, we may just get the PC version of Ys VI one of these days, too.
I'd be surprised if they didn't get Ys VI on steam at some point. They've got a translation from the same dude they could purchase and fine tune.

Anyway Ys I & II Chronicles is great and likely the best version of the two out there. Bump combat for all!
Old 02-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
I'd be surprised if they didn't get Ys VI on steam at some point. They've got a translation from the same dude they could purchase and fine tune.
Would there be any potential licensing issues? I know Konami published the PS2 version and PSP version, which accounts for every release in the U.S. Does Konami have the U.S. rights, or just rights to the game on those two systems?

Quote:
Anyway Ys I & II Chronicles is great and likely definitely the best version of the two out there.
At this point, I think the only thing anyone could reasonably gripe about would be not having the Turbo CD music, and I have a hard time complaining about that since I don't think I've ever heard it. And the soundtrack to the Chronicles version, quite honestly, is awesome.

Quote:
Bump combat for all!
Hell yes. Can't wait.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Anyway Ys I & II Chronicles is great and likely the best version of the two out there. Bump combat for all!
Ys I & II Chronicles uses a weird experience system for Ys 1 where you only level up to level 10. I've heard complaints about this more than once.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

In a game as tremendously short as Ys I, having only 10 experience levels actually does make sense.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Leading Sigma's Sleigh

Quote:
At this point, I think the only thing anyone could reasonably gripe about would be not having the Turbo CD music, and I have a hard time complaining about that since I don't think I've ever heard it. And the soundtrack to the Chronicles version, quite honestly, is awesome.
If it's anything like Falcom's other PC games (and I've heard that it is), then the game uses ogg format for the music and they're pretty easy to replace. The music that I have playing in this video is actually playing via the game itself. It's just a matter of adding comments to the files that denote the proper loop times.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Dr. of Ys-anomics

Quote:
Would there be any potential licensing issues? I know Konami published the PS2 version and PSP version, which accounts for every release in the U.S. Does Konami have the U.S. rights, or just rights to the game on those two systems?
I think it just accounts for those versions, since the PS2 and PSP versions were published by Konami in all regions, and Falcom still sells the PC version themselves.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Dr. of Ys-anomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
Ys I & II Chronicles uses a weird experience system for Ys 1 where you only level up to level 10. I've heard complaints about this more than once.
Didn't bother me, but I probably haven't played as many different versions of Ys I as some (I've played PCE,DS,NES,SMS,Chronicles) so others may have different preferences.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

The next Ys game is coming to PS4 and Vita, and appears to be iterating on the Ys Seven formula.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Leading Sigma's Sleigh

Disappointing, but expected.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:34 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Picked up Ys Book I and II for virtual console.

DAT INTRO! Also, that PC Engine/Sega CD sound just gives me tingles in ways I can't quite explain. In game music is pretty rad, too. And while the battles are kind of an odd thing, I can't help but feel that they speed things way up versus going to a battle screen. So it's a nice change of pace.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Banned

So, no jumping and lots of talky-talky? After Celceta, I'm out. Sorry Ys, but you got ruined.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Family Man

Yeah, Celceta deeply soured me on the series. It wasn't memorable in any way and looked like garbage.

I wouldn't mind some of those Japan-only Trails in the Sky games, however.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Chapter II is coming out soonish.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Leading Sigma's Sleigh

Also, it looks like they're sticking with another super generic fantasy anime design for Adol, instead of the classic super generic 80's fantasy anime design. Alas.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Little Waves

There is jumping, though.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
There is jumping, though.
TK IS BACK ON BOARD
Old 09-01-2014, 10:47 PM
Little Waves

I guess we should post this instead of just talking about it, although there isn't much to see yet:

Old 09-02-2014, 02:56 AM

First taste of this series was Ys Origin on Nightmare, completely blind. Best game I played all last year, and one of the more memorable gaming experiences I've had in a while. Played OiF a short while later and it might just have made its way into my GOAT list. Ys Seven was pretty cool too but it's hard to live up to what Origin/Oath did.

I have to wonder if jump+airdash were the intention for the new party style all along. The way people were hyping up Ys Seven's combat system, I was expecting some ridiculous Devil May Cry style game and instead it was... a rather tame Secret of Mana style thing. I think that's what I would really prefer over this party stuff. A full on DMC'd-out Ys game with air combos and buffering and such, with ridiculous boss fights like always. Hopefully that's Falcom's next step.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:01 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Call me if they ever get rid of the party micromanagement. I liked Ys a lot better when it was an action game wrapped in an RPG instead of the other way around.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:46 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

Ys VI is coming to Steam. No release date yet.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:43 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Chapter II is coming out soonish.
Haha me, you're adorable.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
Ys VI is coming to Steam. No release date yet.
Also has some good changes from the base game, in that it has a better warp point system and Catastrophe Mode, which changes healing items to be more like Ys: Origins/Oath in Felghana, where they activate on pick up (though I'm not sure how well that's going to work with some of the status effects).
Old 03-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Is VI the Ark of Napishtim, or the first PSP game? Can't recall off the top of my head.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:12 PM
Leading Sigma's Sleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisel View Post
Also has some good changes from the base game, in that it has a better warp point system and Catastrophe Mode, which changes healing items to be more like Ys: Origins/Oath in Felghana, where they activate on pick up (though I'm not sure how well that's going to work with some of the status effects).
Woah, Catastrophe mode sounds like a great idea. I wonder if they'll rebalance it at all.

Tags
all the ladies want adol , archeozoic big hole , bump and grind , cranky bout ys7 , dogi crushes your walls , falcom , ladies love cool adol , pronounced "eece" , wheels , you're breaking my walls