The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-10-2017, 03:37 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Well, that'll be nice to have when I do a replay in three-plus years. Still, at least they're acknowledging what a fuckup it was.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Thanks for noticing me

I have to wonder if this was a reaction to the usual bullshit artists and their 'Translate the game word for word or GOD HELP YOU" position scaring the localization team out of making any edits.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
I have to wonder if this was a reaction to the usual bullshit artists and their 'Translate the game word for word or GOD HELP YOU" position scaring the localization team out of making any edits.
Who knows, it could be. It does read significantly more literally than I'd prefer; there is definitely a hardcore set that wants an "exact" translation from the Japanese, even if such a thing doesn't necessarily exist.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Word is the French loc (which was also a big deal since there's a big Falcom fanbase in France, apparently) is just as 'good' as the EN one, if not slightly worse.

That may also have something to do with it.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:01 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I mean, it's not the best localization I've ever played, but it's not awful. But yeah, being spoiled by XSEED makes a difference.
It's not the most awful translation, no. But as translations go, it reads like one handled roughly 20 years ago -- you know, the days before anybody cared at all. The dialogue as currently localized reads flat and utterly without character. It's comprehensible, but that's such a ridiculously low bar to clear that it shouldn't even be noteworthy, and NISA should be embarrassed. I hope this prompts Falcom to resume working with XSeeD.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:47 PM

Yeah, I was going to say earlier before I got distracted by work that it felt like a competent SNES or PSX translation. I mean, it'll work, but it's definitely nothing special. I hit some more very stilted dialogue tonight. The quality just feels all over the place at times; some parts flow just fine, others just feel off.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:28 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

so glad that my strategy of procrastinating on getting Ys VIII has paid off big-time
Old 10-11-2017, 07:34 AM
Blue Comet

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
so glad that my strategy of procrastinating on getting Ys VIII has paid off big-time
Yeah, same here. I was planning on getting it for Steam, and that's not coming out until the translation is fixed, so ah, well.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:10 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

So hey, I just want to make sure everybody's clear that despite the translation being 100% butt, Ys VIII itself is absolutely fantastic, and if you like JRPGs at all, do not let the current shoddy state of the translation stop you. It's an irritation, but I'm a stickler for these kinds of things, and I'm still having a ball.

It's also shaping up to be a pretty long game, I think? I'm about 35 hours in, and I seem to be just past the halfway point, if my having collected six of the eleven total "Adventure Gear" items is any indication. And I'm not going out of my way to look for things.

There's also a very, very light touch of Metroidvania about the game. Has this been mentioned? I don't feel like this has been mentioned. The Adventure Gear items give you new abilities (double-jump, limited wall-climbing, walking on swamps or under water, ability to see in the dark, etc.), which make it worth revisiting old areas to find new stuff.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:13 PM
Are You Sure About That?

I'm waiting for the PC version to come out. Since Durante's working on it, I'm not terribly worried at this point.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:16 PM

I will second what Wolf just said. It's still absolutely superb. I'll be honest, I was very disappointed with Celceta, but I'm not having any of those issues with this one, outside of a slow start. It's not perfect (I still don't really care too much for the Suppression/Interception missions, although they're not actively bad, either), but everything else is great.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:21 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Yeah, I was just mentioning to a friend that the slow start was pretty jarring for me. I haven't really sunk my teeth into a JRPG in a while, and the last few games in the overall RPG genre I've really sunk significant time into have been Skyrim and the Mass Effect series. So JRPG pacing's taking some getting used to again. But it's not too bad.

Suppression/Interception missions, I can take or leave. I'm not a big fan of Interceptions, mainly because they're stressful. I've only done a couple of Suppressions so far, and they were both fine. They don't add much to the game, but they don't really take anything away from it, either, at least not to me.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:17 PM

What's the combat like for someone who hasn't been keeping up with Ys?
Old 10-17-2017, 06:50 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Fast-paced and fun. Every character has a combo they use with their weapon of choice, and each character specializes in a damage type: slashing, piercing, or blunt. Some enemies will only be weak against one type, so you'll need to switch your party leader on the fly periodically, which is easy to do. You can lock on to enemies, and there's a dodge-roll button for getting the heck out of the way. If you time it just right, you can trigger a Flash Move when you dodge, which speeds you up and lets you really pound on the enemies for a few seconds. You've also got a growing array of special moves throughout the game that use skill points, which you can in turn refill in mere seconds. Since Ys VIII also adds platform jumping back into the mix, you have aerial attacks as well.

Sorry if that's more than you wanted to know.

Edit: I should clarify that all of the above is really easy to do, so you don't really get bogged down in figuring out how to do a given thing. It all comes very naturally.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:14 AM
The metal babble flees!

Actually while we're here, I have a question on Ys 8's combat. Apparently you can defend with R1, roll-dodge with L1. Is there any reason to use the former? It seems like perfectly timing a defend is a lot less manageable than merely staying out of range of attacks. But if it has real utility I will try to do better with it.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

Staying out of range of attacks isn't really consistently viable, since the furthest distance away you can be while still attacking is "medium distance," and then only with one character. Flash Guards allow you to null attacks without interrupting your own offense, and they refill SP in the bargain.

That said, the timing on Flash Guards is really tight; I mostly did them by accident.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:44 PM

Yeah, the other nice thing about Flash Guards is that they turn all your attacks into criticals.

Depending on the enemy, though, I'll mix up whether I used Flash Moves or Flash Guards. Some enemies telegraph a bit more, and it's easier to stay close and pull a guard than an evade. The benefit of the dodge roll, of course, is that even if you move early, you're still probably going to avoid the attack. Miss a guard, and you're going to eat it.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:46 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Yeah, I've basically never pulled off a flash guard on purpose. It's probably the hardest thing for me to do in the entire game. Which just goes to show that the move isn't crucial. Handy, maybe. But considering how likely I am to get maimed trying to practice it, I'd rather not bother most of the time.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:14 PM
An Animal of Joy

There's a boss about halfway through Ys Seven whose whole purpose is to teach you how to flash guard. It's really satisfying to learn the timing on various bosses, but it's not really mandatory at any other time.

I have a combat question about 8, do you have control over which specials your party members do like in Seven, or do they just pull things randomly out of their pool of attacks like in Celceta? I thought that was a lame change.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Seven PC at least, your NPC members will use any skill they have SP for as long as they have it at rank 1 or higher (unless they've got the weapon equipped).
Old 10-17-2017, 10:50 PM
An Animal of Joy

Huh, in the PSP version the party members will use an ability that cost equal or less than SP, but you can also toggle abilities off in the equip menu. So you can limit it to the handful of attacks you're interested in using or levelling. That's not available in Celceta.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:11 AM

The drama behind the localization is kinda funny to follow. You‘ve got things like an open letter by a bunch of the voice actors of Cold Steel publicly expressing their wish for XSEED to get the rights to CS3, with the voice actor of Rean (the protagonist) going as far as saying he won’t reprise his role if someone else localizes it. He also voiced a character in Ys 8 and isn’t willing to redub those lines either (if NISA plans to redub to begin with which looking at their tight schedule probably isn’t likely). Apparently he had to record his lines despite being sick at the time and just doesn’t want to risk damaging his vocal chords trying to imitate his “sick voice”.

It’s a shame Ys 8’s localization turned out exactly the way some people expected when hearing that XSEED isn’t behind it. Say about them what you want, but they’ve got a true passion for these Falcom games - and it shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

If you heard about NISA’s plans for the Ys VIII localization update and thought “Gee, that seems awfully ambitious to be out in six weeks,” well, consider yourself vindicated.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:25 PM
Blue Comet

I feel bad for NISA, but I guess it goes to show that Ys was best left in the hands of XSEED :/
Old 11-02-2017, 09:49 PM
An Animal of Joy

Eh, I'll just get the game sometime this month anyway, probably. It'll be an interesting change for a second play sometime in the future.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:42 AM

Just play it, it's still a great game and worth your time, if you can put up with some Legend of Dragoon-style localization.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:30 PM

I just finished Chapter 2 of Ys VIII and it has been a real delight so far. The world is really fun to explore and it's got this JRPG rock playing constantly. The simple graphics also make loading times a lot quicker than they probably would be. What did you guys think of the battle system? I'm having a hard time getting flash guards or dodges reliably. But I don't know if it's because I suck or the timing is too strict.

A lot of reviews said the story was bad but so far I've found it pretty enjoyable. it's simple and the event to event plot is solid. Character writing is a weakness and if they go too far down that rabbit hole I can see it dragging the entire thing down.

I haven't had a real issue with the localization so far but sometimes it gives me an unintentional chuckle like this paraphrased quote:

Quote:
He's a medical student.
He's a student who studies medicine.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:32 AM
Blue Comet

I wonder when they'll release the updated localization. I'm waiting for that to buy it, and in preparation I did get Ys 6 and 7 ;o
Old 11-25-2017, 10:51 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendrick View Post
I wonder when they'll release the updated localization. I'm waiting for that to buy it, and in preparation I did get Ys 6 and 7 ;o
Next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Blacksmith View Post
A lot of reviews said the story was bad but so far I've found it pretty enjoyable. it's simple and the event to event plot is solid. Character writing is a weakness and if they go too far down that rabbit hole I can see it dragging the entire thing down.
The main issues I had with the story are a) there is a tedious filler plot towards the beginning that only exists so that there will be a non-dinosaur villain in the first half of the game; and b) the end of the game is absolutely batshit. I don't know if it's just batshit because the localization is so bad that it becomes incomprehensible or if it's just inherently batshit, but it's batshit.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:45 AM
Wannabe Indie Game Dev

Playing Ys1+ and trying to beat it this time (...?). Got to the bat that turns into little bats in the mine area. I'm fully leveled, but it doesn't seem like I'm doing nearly enough damage - maybe I need a stronger weapon or something? Or some kinda item? Not sure.

It's also kinda weird that 1. You can be fully leveled before the mid-point of the game. Now why would I attack enemies? I have way too much gold and I don't need EXP points - why even have them anymore?

2. That even fully leveled, you can be absolutely wiped by bosses. How am I not doing damage when I've reached max level? I should be destroying bosses with no sword at this point.

I think it's because they were trying to do kind of an "arcade RPG" feel, with more emphasis on finding items and that "bump to attack" system, rather than a traditional RPG approach. It does feel fun to essentially be a bumper car in the field, essentially steamrolling right through enemies... But, it isn't really too fun to struggle with bosses, only to get one single level and suddenly be able to shatter the boss in 4 or 5 hits. Weird leveling progression, to be sure.

Tags
all the ladies want adol , archeozoic big hole , bump and grind , cranky bout ys7 , dogi crushes your walls , falcom , ladies love cool adol , pronounced "eece" , wheels , you're breaking my walls