The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 PM

Sorcery is a visual representation of a Fighting Fantasy book, and is thus quite cool.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:56 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Tell me more about Sorcery!.
Have you played or do you know about 80 Days? This is by the same people, both before (Parts 1 & 2) and after (Parts 3 & 4) 80 Days.

Whereas 80 Days was an original work of interactive fiction, Sorcery! is an adaptation of an existing gamebook from the 80s. It also has a combat mechanic, while 80 Days is basically all about dialogue choices and inventory management.

80 Days is probably more broadly liked. If you haven't played or heard of it, it's very loosely inspired by Around the World in 80 Days, with a very thoroughly realized steampunk/fantasy world to explore and a thoughtful approach to colonialism.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:05 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
From asking, you mean? :P
No, from accessing that information at all. I was under the impression that the iOS app sandbox model prevented apps from accessing your phone's contacts list.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:05 PM
oh my car

I have never heard of 80 Days either.

Okay, to start with, what genre of game is it?
Old 09-14-2017, 10:19 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Okay, to start with, what genre of game is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
interactive fiction
Or visual novel or gamebook or whatever.

The main mechanics in 80 days are dialogue choices, deciding what to do in town, and picking travel routes (it's interactive fiction!), resource management (both money and time), and inventory management (objects have a physical size, and you need room in your bag ó screenshot of this aspect of the game below).

The items you buy open up new possibilities for travel options and storylines, or maybe you can just sell them in a place they're rare for more money.

Last edited by estragon; 09-14-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:36 PM
an eeling of Christmas

The mobile ports of the sonic games are good. You may well already know this.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:36 PM
Drawerings

Thirding Monument Valley. It mixes Escher-esque puzzles with a wistful yet mysterious atmosphere and an emotional story that doesn't intrude on the game.

I know that description isn't much but I don't want to spoil it. The game is magic and it's only four bucks for a couple of unforgettable hours.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:08 AM
Mad Overlord

A few more that I forgot in the first post:

More roguelite: Dungelot: Shattered Lands, Desktop Dungeons, The Nightmare Cooperative, Guild of Dungeoneering, Sproggiwood

More light strategy: Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion, Calculords, Wars & Battles, Battle Academy, Door Kickers, Dungeon Warfare, Banner Saga

Limited-input action/platform: Pinball FX2, Super Hexagon, Bean's Quest, Rayman Jungle/Fiesta Run, Mario Run, Bean's Quest, Kona's Crate
(Anything with on-screen d-pad and buttons is too annoying to bother with, but some games adapt pretty well to just treating each side of the screen as its own button, so there's one for each thumb.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
I personally found everything about it to be infuriatingly arbitrary and random, and on the whole absolutely no fun whatsoever.
As mentioned, I generally dislike IF/gamebooks because their core mechanic is "pick a door and hope you guessed the one with the prizes in it" straight out of Monty Hall. I thought Sorcery and 80 Days were well-enough polished and written to be enjoyable as stories once I could get into the right mood and turn off the strategic part of my brain, but I still wouldn't place them on anywhere near the pedestal that some do.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:49 AM
ahím margaret wartahm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornGhost View Post
(Before I continue I want to point out that I have no moral qualms with games that offer in-app purchases, and I don't belittle those that play them. They just aren't particularly fun for me.)
I do. (well, certainly the former) They're villainous!

Anyway, Wayward Souls and Goblin Sword were both really fun action adventure/RPGs to me. WS is overhead while GS is a platformer. Surprisingly playable on my iPhone. I never finished them, but definitely got my money's worth. Haven't tried them on a tablet yet.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:27 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Tell me more about Sorcery!.
it's a decently fun and pretty implementation of an old choose your own adventure series Steve Jackson did. It's got a neat spell mechanism, multiple ways to solve puzzles, and a story that moves at a fun fantasy pace.

80 Days is a retelling of the Jules Verne classic "Around the World in 80 Days" with a completely different take on colonialism and culture. very cool.

My offering to this thread is Polytopia, which is the most perfectly distilled version of Civilization i've ever played. It's got two modes- 30 turn limits and play till you kill everyone else, and is exactly the right size for a mobile game. The only DLC is to buy more races, which you don't need to do but i did because they were awesome and super fun.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:08 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Magic Mansion is free, I believe, with a one-time purchase to turn off ads. It's a really simple game about tapping the screen to jump. It's set in a tower with rooms connected by ladders, though, so each room is a discreet challenge that you can see coming floors ahead of time. Thegoal is just to see how high you can get and collect abunch of coins to buy new player sprites.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:28 AM
..and his little cat, too

Grumpy Cat's Worst Game Ever. I've been playing it every day since I downloaded it, and it remains a favorite, even after long running out of things to spend coins on.

Plus, it's free!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:12 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Aka to Blue just came out. It's nine-ish dollars and is a really fun bullet hell type deal. The tl;dr on it is that the primary mechanic of the game is really nice to people who are new to the genre while also challenging veterans, but here's me talking sugar about it in the shmup thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I can attest that Aka to Blue feels like coming home again.
The music is also very Guilty Gear, imo, which suits me just fine.

EDIT: Game Overed on stage five. This game's way more forgiving than I expected. The bomb mechanics are some great design - it doesn't look like you can bomb while a bomb is active, but even one bomb gauge is enough to protect you from a hit. A bomb will give you more bomb gauge when it goes off - even if it went off due to you getting hit. Lower-level bombs are over quicker, but the score is all in the higher-level bombs. So players who are struggling have a lifeline that comes back to them very quickly, and players aiming for high scores are encouraged to spend as much time defenseless as possible.

You can also "trade up" from lower amounts of bomb gauge to higher amounts really easily. I fired a charge 2 bomb at one point in stage five, and got a maxed out bomb gauge for my troubles.

Honestly, this feels like a really good entry point into the genre; it might be even nicer to you than Jonestown.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:58 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Not that deep into it, so my opinion may wind up changing, but I picked up PPKP a few days ago, and itís making a pretty nice first impression.

On its surface itís a pretty streamlined take on a one-on-one fighting game (with a distinct River City Ransom patois). In a battle (against a seemingly never ending stream of henchmen) you have two commands that you gradually build up to an array of combos and specials. Besides cold hard cash (redeemed for new moves, healing items and experience points, beating down enemies also (somehow) causes cars to show up in the junkyard for you to smash to pieces and, in so doing garners you materials for rebuilding the town and unlocking more features.

Combats pretty robust, despite its simplicity and the only penalties Iíve seen so far for it being FTP is that it has a timer on how frequently you can enter battle, but fights last until you get knocked out so thatís still a solid chunk of game per wait.

While similar, Itís not to the level of Punch Quest, but, in my heart-of-hearts, nothing ever could be.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:34 PM

The Stranger Things game is free, with no in app purchases. Itís a Zeldaish game with every character from the show being playable, each with their own speciality. Nancy can smash stuff with a baseball bat to allow passage, for instance. Thereís some decent effort put into it, the animations are nice and the puzzles in the second dungeon are a good step up from the first.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:48 AM
Curious Young Gent

Yeah, the Stranger Things game is solid so far (up to the 5th dungeon so far). The aesthetic reminds me of the top-down SNES Jurassic Park game and The Chaos Engine.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:20 PM
King Of Space-Time

By Onion Games, the new home of Little Kingís Story producer Yoshiro Kimura.

Tags
mobage , recommend games