The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-23-2017, 10:54 AM
concern troll

While I'd RATHER get more free games, I'm for sure using the discounts on retail games I never got before. It's better than nothing. And, frankly, I'd rather get this value than a lot of the collectibles taking up space in my house from the old program.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:41 AM
Obsession or passion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
Is that true?
Yes. To outsell Wii U's entire lifetime sales in just a few months after launch would be absolutely prodigious, not even juggernauts like Wii or PS4 were able to sell quite that fast after launch.

Here are the official figures from Nintendo. They're a couple of months out of date right now, but should be updated again in a few weeks.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:57 AM
Obsession or passion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I don't think Nintendo should start doing Steam style sales, but as a rewards program, what they're doing is bad.
Yeah, I'm not saying that My Nintendo is good as it is right now. But at least I can use some of the discounts. Would a universal discount make more sense? Possibly, but is that actually in Nintendo's power? I would guess that their licensing agreements with third parties prevent completely universal discounts. It also looks to me like the My Nintendo discount system is somewhat jerry-rigged, so even a general Nintendo stuff discount might not be as simple to implement as you might think.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:35 PM
Come, noble knights!

The My Nintendo system may be bettter than nothing, but that doesn't make it good. Going from being able to get tons of free old games and obscure WiiWare/DSiWare stuff to very small discounts on games has pretty much killed my interest in the service.

Oh well, I did get Twilight Princess Picross out of it.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:29 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
It also looks to me like the My Nintendo discount system is somewhat jerry-rigged, so even a general Nintendo stuff discount might not be as simple to implement as you might think.
To clarify, this was not a "those lazy devs!!!!" type of comment. I never thought it would be simple. There are without a doubt system level reasons and licensing reasons that could be a hurdle, and I have no way to know what those are.

I just wish someone with knowledge of those hurdles would take steps toward doing something that is in their power to improve it, somewhat.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:49 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
For me the problem is less that it's a discount, and more that it tends to be a tiny discount for a very old title.

I'm not even being greedy and asking for the moon here. I would be pretty happy with either a a minor discount on a new title, or a large discount on an old title, even. But as it is the rewards just feel kind of stingy.

For older games with a physical release, the discount typically doesn't even approach the market price, so it's mostly just an incentive for you to buy digital (i.e. give your $$$ directly to Nintendo) instead of a good deal for the customer.
Nintendo isn't going to undercut retail on new titles. That's only going to hurt them down the line.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:31 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
Nintendo isn't going to undercut retail on new titles. That's only going to hurt them down the line.
By new I don't necessarily mean out this month or even last month in a way that would undercut retail new releases. They also have a lot of new games that are only digital. This idea could include, for example, 5-10% off Snipperclips or whatever. (This would be a very small reward in terms of savings, but it would feel generous because it's a new-ish game on a new-ish system. And you could constrain it further by giving it a high requirement for gold coins as necessary)

Even for physical releases, it wouldn't have to be undercutting in some unique way that would disrupt the market. You can buy (again, just for example) Arms for $60 from Nintendo on the eShop, or for $54 on Amazon. A 10% discount would match the current Amazon value, only for customers who have already given Nintendo a lot of money.

(And I think that last condition can't be emphasized enough. These aren't sales that anyone can just take part in. They're one time rewards that are constrained by needing to have already given Nintendo money.)

Again, there are obviously constraints out there for systematic, licensing, and distribution related reasons, but the current program is still pretty stingy.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:55 PM
Crazy Old Bird

It is rather absurd that they still don't have any Switch rewards, especially now that Splatoon 2 is out and interacts with an app that can send it items. Super Sea Snails, Ability Chunks, and Food Tickets would all be great things to splurge points on.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:38 AM
Obsession or passion?

Quote:
This would be a very small reward in terms of savings, but it would feel generous because it's a new-ish game on a new-ish system. And you could constrain it further by giving it a high requirement for gold coins as necessary
A 5 % discount wouldn't feel generous at all, it would feel like a total joke. It would also feel like clutter that is taking time and space away from other discounts.

And if that 5 % discount had "a high requirement for gold coins", it would feel like Nintendo is actively antagonizing their customers.

In other words, it's probably where the My Nintendo "rewards" prob... program is headed.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:52 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
A 5 % discount wouldn't feel generous at all, it would feel like a total joke. It would also feel like clutter that is taking time and space away from other discounts.
They're wasting cake and paper!
Old 08-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

They've added a couple of deals to the selection. You can get 30% off Star Fox Zero or Star Fox 64 3D, or 40% off Star Fox Command (snicker). There's also 40% off Pandora's Tower and both of the Dillon's Rolling Western games, as well as 50% off EarthBound Beginnings.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:05 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

There are a few indie games you can get with gold coins. I'll probably pick up the Bit.Runner one and the pinball 3DS one because I have no other use for these coins honestly.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:02 AM
Out Of Warranty

I'm kinda offended that, in the year of the lord of 2017, desktop wallpapers are considered an acceptable reward.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

So I went on the site to see if I had anything expiring at the end of the month, and there are Animal Crossing coin placeholders! So there will be some sort of integration with the new mobile game, but it's not anywhere else on the site. Intriguing.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:52 PM
an eeling of Christmas

Lots of Sonic stuff on there. Almost tempted to get the Rise of Lyric discount, which for some reason is listed as a 3ds game on the site.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:04 AM

Just remembered to get my gold coins for Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2. Still no rewards for Switch. FUCKING RAD.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:17 AM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
Just remembered to get my gold coins for Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2. Still no rewards for Switch. FUCKING RAD.
I'm expecting Switch rewards to come with the full online service next year. Which I hope the announce soon!

Tags
brand loyalty , funbux , loyalty rewards , nintendo , nintendo solutions