The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-10-2017, 11:32 PM
Chief Servbot

What Wide and Fire lack in pure killing power they make up for in defensive use, especially once fully upgraded. I use them to clear up enemy bullets, then switch to beam once there's an opening. Bubble is cool but the level design rarely makes it the best choice sadly.

Interesting note: there's a fully functional missile weapon in the game's code that can be accessed by hacking. Wish that had made it into the final game.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Sudden chomper

Ninja Star is probably the most useful weapon in the game for anyone who doesn't already know the levels really well, since it blankets the whole stage and does decent damage. I always go for the Laser Uzi to beat the last boss, but I only use it sparingly in the levels (although these days I don't tend to even have it until the very last shop in the game). I really like the Fire/Burner/Inferno, they're maybe the most fun to use. But of course, without much range there aren't many spots where you can safely bust them out.

I've watched a couple of speed runs and runners almost exclusively use the Quad. It's a very powerful weapon for the amount of money that it costs, and you can boost its DPS considerably if you mash the fire button. Like, nearly double your damage output. The only problem is that I'm really bad at dodging while hammering the fire button, so I'll often get myself killed this way.

Last edited by MCBanjoMike; 05-11-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:22 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I think in my playthrough I used star for trash, and uzi on anything beefy.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:03 AM
Morbid symptom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
You can always grind for money. There's a good spot for it as early as the midpoint of OXOX Hotel: The urchins there frequently drop big coins, and there are a bunch of them right next to a screen transition. After that, the those refrigerators on Hekichi Plateau go down quickly to fire and have a chance to drop giant money bags. There's a spot near the beginning with one of them near a transition, and another near the mid-boss that's less convenient but has two of them.
Cheers for this! It's definitely coming in handy on my no-continues run. I'd maxed out the laser and wide shots by the end of the White Laboratories.

I'd like to add to this the section immediately to the right of the mid-level shop in the Trayne Station level. There are some derelict carriages filled with furious crabs that are very generous with the big coins.

There's at least one way in which powering up early can make things trickier for you, though. The boss of the labs is harder if you trigger its second phase too quickly, as you won't have a platform to jump on to easily evade its ramming attack. (A vertical double jump will still get you over it.)

Last edited by Klatrymadon; 05-13-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:39 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default I just started

Cat is messed up, huh?
Old 05-27-2017, 09:32 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Cat is messed up, huh?
I don't know why you would say this when Horse is right there.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:18 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I don't know why you would say this when Horse is right there.
What horse? The President? I thought President was a cat?
Old 05-28-2017, 05:55 AM
Fifth Business

If we are talkin' about the President, she is indeed a cat, though I actually saw her incorrectly as horse-like at first, too; with the hair and her glasses obscuring things, her face-pixels can be misinterpreted as her having a long snout instead of a wide cat face, though once I saw the cat face I could no longer even really see the horse face at all anymore.

Just another one of life's fleeting pixel-based misconceptions.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:01 PM
Little Waves

There are only cats and frogs working at Cat & Frog, Inc.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:38 PM
an eeling of Christmas

I read her as more like whatever Prunella from Arthur is... A fox? Ferret? Hmm.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:03 AM
Cool Bunny

Beating the last boss of Zangyou is killing me. I think it wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to repeat the first couple stages every time (they don't give me much trouble, but they take a while) or if you didn't have to replay the level to get there. The lives thing hasn't bothered me for most of the game, but the last level seems really long.

If I ever do beat it, what's the deal with Omake mode? Worth my time?
Old 10-31-2017, 08:10 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
Beating the last boss of Zangyou is killing me. I think it wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to repeat the first couple stages every time (they don't give me much trouble, but they take a while) or if you didn't have to replay the level to get there. The lives thing hasn't bothered me for most of the game, but the last level seems really long.

If I ever do beat it, what's the deal with Omake mode? Worth my time?
Yeah, that last form of the boss is a real bear. I find it best to play defensively: concentrate on avoiding attacks and not falling, answer the phones when you can and deal damage only when you're in a safe position. If you can tag enough phones, it'll get much easier to damage him when you're in the clear. It's a long slog through all of his forms, but it's pretty fair and I've gotten a lot better at it since my first attempts.

Omake mode is more or less an excuse to stomp through the regular game with overpowered weapons, but there are a few new things. Notably, you can find hidden glitch levels to collect and power up a new gun, and there's a boss rush at the end. It's worth seeing and for the most part it's a lot easier than Zangyou.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:13 AM
Cool Bunny

I just beat the boss but fell off the bottom of the screen during the death animation. Aaargh
Old 11-01-2017, 02:52 AM
Cool Bunny

Got it!

Tags
frog contra , pink hour , studio pixel