The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 06-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I only break out my crafting skills for Festivus.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

I made Lumber Baron this scarf for Christmas* a few years ago:

Illusion knitting was incredibly complicated to figure out, but then it went quickly.

*Well, I tried to make it for Christmas. He didn't get it until the following September or something like that.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Super Nerd

That scarf is pretty spectacular. I've had a hankering to learn to knit but never quite followed through.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:36 AM
gatchapon 3*

holy shit, double v! how did you do that?

also benjibot, i want all of your dragon warrior pieces. ALL OF THEM.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
I only break out my crafting skills for Festivus.
The same could be said of all... Brickroads.

Those are still on my fridge, by the way, and still completely awesome.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:28 PM
off the wall

I've done a lot of DIY synthesizer stuff in the past. At one point I had a synth based around a C64 SID chip. I still have it, but I need to give it a propper case.

Lately I haven't done much due to lack of space. This is to change in a few weeks when I move into a new house with a ton of basement space. I'm setting up a work table and some shelves to put all my power supplies, meters, and oscilloscope. Hopefully I can get a new soldering station. I have, however, been working on the schematics for a Moog Ladder filter that I intend on building when I have my space set up:

Old 06-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Ans View Post
I've done a lot of DIY synthesizer stuff in the past. At one point I had a synth based around a C64 SID chip. I still have it, but I need to give it a propper case....
. Hopefully I can get a new soldering station. I have, however, been working on the schematics for a Moog Ladder filter that I intend on building when I have my space set up:
I've wanted to get into electronics and soldering boards... but I don't have the room yet and I've never seen anything to ease someone into this kind of thing that doesn't cost an arm and a leg
Old 06-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I don't know if this is crafty, per se... but I assembly and paint toy soldiers...

I'm never going to finish all the models I have lying around... and I rarely ever play, but I do enjoy it.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:49 PM

I've been leveling up my knitting skill lately and hope to put it to geeky uses before long. I need to get the hang of multicolor knitting before I can do much pixel-style work but one of the next projects on my lineup is a "red mage" scarf. It's just red and white triangles but it should look interesting when it's done.

I sew a bit and really admire the things cosplayers come up with but I generally find it too difficult. I cosplayed Viki at Otakon some years back and I was not up for the "performance" aspect of the art.

When we get a house my office is going to be largely a craft room. I want to try out so many things! The bead coaster thing sounds neat, I remember liking pastels in school, and I'm curious to give cross stitch a try.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:56 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
I made Lumber Baron this scarf for Christmas* a few years ago:

Illusion knitting was incredibly complicated to figure out, but then it went quickly.

*Well, I tried to make it for Christmas. He didn't get it until the following September or something like that.
Put me down for "holy shit."

(looking at it for a moment I can see how it would work, but still, gotdamn.)
Old 06-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Super Nerd

I think it's time to bring out the big guns. Quite literally.

The idea was this would be a sampler. Like a "bless this home" sort of thing only with "The Code" in place of a precious aphorism. I like it a lot, but I'm not sure it really resembles what I intended it to resemble.

I've never been thrilled with how I finished this either. Don't get me wrong, I love the stitching to death, but the frame isn't exactly what I wanted. Some day I might try and fancy it up a bit.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Very punny.

Clearly I need to get back into cross stitching. I haven't done it since middle school, but there are so many geeky applications...
Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjibot View Post

I've never been thrilled with how I finished this either. Don't get me wrong, I love the stitching to death, but the frame isn't exactly what I wanted. Some day I might try and fancy it up a bit.
I reckon it has too much empty space in there. Not familiar enough with the game to guess what else would be appropriate.

So awesome though. I want to learn that. :3
Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Super Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfir View Post
I reckon it has too much empty space in there. Not familiar enough with the game to guess what else would be appropriate.
Really? My instinct is it has too little quote-unquote white space. I wanted to put some kind of border, but I didn't plan sufficiently and I ran out of fabric. Then I had to buy one of those "make your own frame" kits and it's just... not quite what I had envisioned.

Still awesome. Could be awesome-er.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjibot View Post
Really? My instinct is it has too little quote-unquote white space. I wanted to put some kind of border, but I didn't plan sufficiently and I ran out of fabric. Then I had to buy one of those "make your own frame" kits and it's just... not quite what I had envisioned.

Still awesome. Could be awesome-er.
I thought it had too much white space too, that the code should have been put to the right of the figures instead of over them... then you could have shrunk the whole piece down and not had all the empty space

Please Note: any criticism I offer in this thread is constructive and offered in the hope of assisting makers in their pursuits. I think everything shown in this thread is awesome and want to help you make it more awesome!
Old 07-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
holy shit, double v! how did you do that?
Someone on a forum I used to go to made the pattern and I asked her for it. I still can't read knitting patterns so I ended up making it up a little bit, but the basic idea is that knitting and purling leave a stitch that pokes slightly up and slightly down (depending on which side of the piece you're looking at). What you do is alternate stitches and yarn colors, so if you have an area where there should be a raised black area you'd do all the black stitches in knit and all the white ones in purl. It took me FOREVER to figure out but it was really cool to see it working. There are more than a few areas that aren't aligned right because I miscounted the stitches, but it was only the second thing I ever made so I'm proud of it.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:30 PM
clean cut

The contra stitching is pretty phat-tastic. When you make another one (never) my idea to reduce the "white space" is to wrap your code around and make it the border. Looks like the arrow bits could be one side, the "SELECT START" another and repeat it again for the other two sides. You should probably put the "SELECT START" on the sides so it doesn't look like a title.

This is my idea since people are giving suggestions. I like it pretty well the way it is.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

So I need a new laptop case and now I'm thinking about just making it. No idea how to go about doing that, but I want to make it using this chalkboard stuff.

Because I like chalkboard stuff.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:22 PM
off the wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
So I need a new laptop case and now I'm thinking about just making it. No idea how to go about doing that, but I want to make it using this chalkboard stuff.

Because I like chalkboard stuff.
I've been toting with the idea of making a full on classroom size chalkboard for my basement. The idea is to get a 4'x8' piece of plywood, sand it, primer it, and paint it with chalkboard paint. I may need to renforce the back with some 2x4s. That would give it some extra heft too. When I was scouting out paint I saw some magnetic primer. I could use that so it would be more like an actual chalkboard.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:36 PM
swimming with nanocarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
WHAT! When did this happen? Why didn't anyone tell me?

Congrats, daroga!
Everyone else, knows! Where have you been??

There's some seriously awesome stuff in this thread. I love the Space Invaders scarf a whole lot!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:36 AM

So I started doing the pixel stuff as well for the fun of it. Made a Boo and a Black Mage so far.. not sure what color I want the background or even if I want a background on him or not...

Also if anyone would like something like this done for their favorite characters let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by ChefCthulhu; 07-03-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCthulhu View Post
Also if anyone would like something like this done for their favorite characters let me know and I'll see what I can do.
I'd love to have blackmage!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:07 PM
gatchapon 3*

ooh, ooh, dragon warrior slimes!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Rawrther.

does this count?

Old 07-03-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
ooh, ooh, dragon warrior slimes!
Which kinda of slime? Standard Blue, Metal, Cure, King?

Just put in an order for tons of various colors so can do just about any of them shortly.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:13 PM
gatchapon 3*

either a blue/green or a red. or a metal. hell, i'm not picky. as long as it's a real slime and not a babble or king.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortbassist89 View Post
does this count?

Shit!? You made a gameboy clock?! That's awesome! Does it still play gameboy games because that would be tops?
Old 07-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Super Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by falselogic View Post
Shit!? You made a gameboy clock?! That's awesome! Does it still play gameboy games because that would be tops?
The Game Boy shaped circuit board and other scattered random parts would lead me to believe that all signs point to "no."

Pretty awesome looking just the same.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Super Nerd

Default MY CHARRIES ARE NICE AND RIPE!

I have little reason to doubt that I may have produced the world's first piece of Panesian fan art.

That's "Lucky Lucy" of Hot Slot(s), she of the PLUMP PRIZE PLUMS.

The idea was the make a trading card, so the whole thing measures about 2.5 by 3.5 inches. It took much longer than I had anticipated.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Rawrther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falselogic View Post
[Luke Skywalker]
That's impossible!
[/Luke Skywalker]

Although I was planning on adding a scanning radio to it, using the original speaker, but didn't have anything extra on hand at the time, and was too broke to afford anything. (College books are expensive!) Also, I didn't feel like replanning everything, as I realized I would've had to do.

If I ever find a cheap Gameboy I may take another go at it, with radio function.

I've also made Lego clocks and VHS cassette clocks. My next venture will be a dictionary clock, with a clock in/on the spine of the dictionary. Complete with hallowed out compartment for hoarding!

Tags
making time