The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 06-03-2017, 05:44 PM
who's she

I voted for chess but I should qualify it because the game doesn't really get fun until you add randomized pieces. It's so much more novel that way, and it's entertaining when one side is overpowered.

If I'd realized chess would place that high I would've given more points to Liar's Dice, which is one of the best games you can play with, you know, normal people. Fast, simple, fun, and highly social.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:53 PM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I've heard there was a modern game made using the mechanics of the old Dune game but with a new theme. Can't remember what it was.
That would be Rex: Final Days of an Empire..Fantasy Flight licensed it and rebranded it into their Twilight Imperium universe, but the core gameplay is similar to Dune.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:59 PM
who's she

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I really enjoyed that thread, and if you ever wanted to pick it up again I would be excited to read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Eagerly anticipating your thoughts on Mirage!
I just could not find enough interesting things to say about Mirage. I did try. And Magic design stayed pretty bland for quite a while after that, too. The promise of eventually getting to write about Unglued wasn't enough to keep me going.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulgakov View Post
Nobilis
The eternal turf war between Nobilis and Amber is my favorite thing about the RPG hobby's online community.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
The eternal turf war between Nobilis and Amber is my favorite thing about the RPG hobby's online community.
Amber's great too. Both scratch the "I want to play something with a high power level" itch and both implement dice-less play pretty effectively. IMO, Amber is the game to play when you want to have a significant amount of PvP action in your gaming group; it's really set up for interplayer conflict by ranking all the players in relation to one another. While you can pit players against one another in Nobilis, it's not necessary, and there's lots more ways to put your PC's more or less "on the same team."

Lots of other mechanical differences too that will sway groups based on how many rules they want getting in the way of telling their stories and how specifically they want to define their characters in terms of a point system. But ultimately it's "how much do you want to encourage people to take shots at one another."
Old 06-05-2017, 07:45 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
Dune is a crazy cool game that is incredibly rare and expensive now. Rex is the modern remake.
I did a bit more research on this Dune thing and it seems the movie-branded game that NavalsAreNeat had is a fully different game.

Here's a pic of the Avalon Hill grail game. I haven't played it but it looks neat:

Old 06-05-2017, 08:12 AM
#deadfish2017

mmm that tablecloth
Old 06-05-2017, 08:38 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
I did a bit more research on this Dune thing and it seems the movie-branded game that NavalsAreNeat had is a fully different game.

Here's a pic of the Avalon Hill grail game. I haven't played it but it looks neat:

It's really great. My favourite thing: one player is the Bene Gesserit and one of their abilities is that, at the beginning of the game, they write down when they think the game is going to end, and if the gam eends on that turn, they win.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Holy Swine

My list, non-appearers in bold:

Bridge (Just incredibly deep and infinitely replayable. I wish more young people played it)
The Game of Life (Not a great game per se, but far better at educating people about the nature of life than most games. I credit this for drilling into me that a good job simplifies a lot of life. Plus there's a square where you inherit a skunk farm from your uncle! My brother and I always argued over which of the little plastic buildings on the board was the skunk farm)
Hearts
Risk (I always make up narratives for the individual fights. It's great when, say, two kamchatkans with their pitchforks defeat a massive, modern japanese army)
Stratego
Chess
Hanabi
Mousetrap
Hungry Hungry Hippos (very few things are more satisfying than convincingly beating someone who uses the hippo mash strategy)
Trivial Pursuit (old and musty, sure, but I'm good at it and I like the purity of it)
Bezzerwizzer
Dungeon Lords

CodeWords
Guess Who?
Stocks and Bonds (there's not much strategy to it, but it's fun to make up narratives about why you're buying the stocks. Best strat: put it all in Stryker drilling, hope for a couple good rolls at the start, then park it all in bonds and win!)
Spades
Euchre (Fun but there's really very little strategic depth, at least for someone who likes bridge)
Cribbage (I just really like saying "thirty-one" all the time)
Mastermind
Chutes and Ladders (not much is better when you're a little kid)
Candyland
Crazy Eights (or, as my dad put it, Locos Ochos)
Gin
Poker (I like it in theory but I'm really bad at it for someone who understands all the math)
Old Maid (a pity mention, I hate Old Maid)
Old 06-05-2017, 10:48 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:

Oh wow check that ou-ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 06-06-2017, 08:35 AM
me want the puyopuyon

The dice must fl, err, roll
Old 06-06-2017, 11:45 AM
the :motion: stands

Tabletop was merely the prologue:

Old 06-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Classy, but the grim reaper at the end was too "high schooler's note book" death and not enough "classy Seventh Seal" death.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:35 PM
Not a Beer

I'm also unsure how I feel about Moonlight Sonata with a distortion pedal.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:08 PM
King Of Space-Time

Well.

That was overdramatic as FUCK. Bleah.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:16 PM
Video Monster

CHESS: NO LONGER FOR BABIES
Old 06-06-2017, 03:56 PM
me want the puyopuyon

da ch3ss z0ne
Old 06-06-2017, 04:25 PM
Safe Space

Everyone knows that Chess video games peaked with Battle Chess.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:38 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I genuinely can't tell if that trailer is supposed to be funny or taken seriously. I completely lost it once the pieces started dramatically knocking each other over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Everyone knows that Chess video games peaked with Battle Chess.
TRUFAX
Old 06-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Out Of Warranty

And I just managed to finally finish the list. That was lots of fun to read, JBear! Thank your for hosting this list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I genuinely can't tell if that trailer is supposed to be funny or taken seriously. I completely lost it once the pieces started dramatically knocking each other over.
No fatalities? No sale
Old 06-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

I feel like not calling it METAL CHESS was a missed opportunity.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Cool Bunny

My Dad is into chess, I think he plays it online these days. When I was a kid he had an electronic board where each piece plugged in to the squares on the board and each square had a light. The computer player would indicate its move by lighting the piece and where it wanted to go. Other than that, yeah, Battle Chess is the best version.

I beat Dad once, but I think he let me win. I think the last time I played was first year uni, a friend had changed course to study physics and there was a chess scene among the physics students. I went to their common room and played against him and he wiped me out very quickly.

Thanks for the list, JBear. It'll be a strong contender in TT's top 50 top 50 lists for sure.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:35 AM
Crabjörn

Long after everyone else has posted theirs and ceased to care, here are my own "cool games that didn't make the list".
  • Pastiche is a nice simple game of combining colors on hex tiles to make art. But, y'know... Renaissance era actual art. Not dril tweet art. That would be a completely different amazing game. Anyway my copy is signed by the dev so that's pretty much the main reason it made my list. Good game, though.
  • Smash Up is all right. I've lost my taste for the theme of the thing, but the gameplay itself is all right and lends itself well to the theme. As mentioned, the fact that it's a super simple deckbuilder means I can customize without having to worry about practical concerns like counts of each card type.
  • Seven Card Slugfest mostly made my list by virtue of being a Level 99 game, but it's not bad. Way better at being a drinking game that's themed like a drinking game than Red Dragon Inn, at least (and the rules are designed with the intent that everything's gonna be a mess anyway). Just make sure to explain each character's power before the drinks: they're not complex, but people WILL forget.
  • Cash 'n' Guns is a pretty neat game once you get past the artwork (which is slightly less racist in the newest version). I mean honestly, what's not to like about simulating Mexican standoffs in the safety of your own boardgame shop? Also a good way to tell who among your group is a sucker, coward, backstabber, and so forth.
  • Splendor I'm pretty sure most people here have described better than I would, which is as the Bejeweled of Euro games. I will not explain this further.
  • Pixel Tactics is basically a head-to-head Wizardry party fighting game. I mean yeah, it's billed as a tactics game, but honestly it's about assembling a decent party, watching them all get blasted apart, and then scrabbling to recover and fight back. I only got it as part of the minigame library, where it had only a single deck and was not very balanced in a number of ways, but it's since released like six sets and a bunch of mini-expansions.
  • Tsuro is a simple one: play tiles, move stones along the paths these tiles make, inevitably crash off the side of the board because you have literally no other option. High player count and simple rules make this a good social one.
  • Takenoko is a game where you are trying to grow a bamboo garden, but also keep a panda fed. It's lighthearted and fun and the components are very pretty. You win by completing objective cards, but the objectives are largely at cross purposes: do you feed the panda different types of bamboo, or try to grow the fanciest bamboo gardens?
  • Millenium Blades is a CCG simulator. If you wanted a tiny glimpse into the madness that is following an actual CCG like Magic or Pokémon but don't have literal thousands of dollars to blow on it, or if you just wanted to live out a Yu-Gi-Oh story arc, this is the game for you. It has a ton of stuff like "Super Plumber Bros" and "Game of Rings", so if you're not about it being referential as HELL you might give it a pass, but honestly you probably are about that if you liked the description. Confusing, but extremely fun.
  • Shadow Hunters didn't make the list? I know I had weird obscure tastes a lot of the time but come ON, guys! It's a very Castlevania-themed mafia-like, where the Shadows and the Hunters are trying to deduce one another using binary-question Hermit cards. There's also Neutrals in there to throw off the game with their own weird win conditions. I'm not usually a fan of Mafia style games (the closer they are to Dead Last, the worse if you ask me) but this one gives each player enough agency to have a shot at winning, while still leaving some things to chance and social shenanigans.
  • Red Dragon Inn is what you want to do if you want to simulate a party of D&D style adventurers after they've gotten through the dungeons and are kicking back at the tavern. It's another lighthearted competitive game with a colorful cast of adventurers, each with their own unique deck. Last one conscious and still able to pay their tab wins. DO NOT TRY TO PLAY THIS AS A DRINKING GAME.
  • One Deck Dungeon is a very new release, being a solitaire or 2p co-op game. It simulates the basic premise of a roguelike EXCEPTIONALLY well: time is a resource you will be running out of constantly, you have a limited supply of potions which you really ought to identify, sometimes you open a door and NOPE right back out because NEVER FIGHT PHANTOMS. I have lost this game a ton of times and highly recommend it to any videojames roguelike player.
  • Sentinels of the Multiverse is a super rad co-op game about a team of superheroes facing a supervillain. It very much feels like a raid boss simulator, and the devs put a lot of thought and care into the characters (if not the balance) even though they are all basically pre-existing Marvel or DC characters if you squint. I made a big-ass thread about it on THIS VERY FORUM and it has a Steam app so if you don't feel like playing it with me then I am crying now.
  • Alchemists somehow managed to beat all of these rad games despite being a worker placement Eurogame as my number 1 game of all time ever no takebacks. You're trying to deduce the nature of the eight ingredients by mixing them into potions, but controlled testing takes too long and the conference is today and you swear you have that theory almost right and maybe you can learn a bit if you sell the potion to that menacing warlord and maybe the money-back guarantee means he won't destroy your home and this game is awesome. I want to either LP it on this forum someday or make Mogri do it.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:35 AM
and ermine, too

This has been a fun list! I didn't vote, but it looks like I don't cross over much with Talking Time's top 50. The only two games that appear in TT's top 50 are Race for the Galaxy and Android: Netrunner. The only thing I'm really disappointed by is that no one even mentioned Tigris & Euphrates.

There are four designers that appear more than once in my top 25:
  • Tom Lehmann (Race for the Galaxy, 1846)
  • Vlaada Chvatil (Mage Knight, Galaxy Trucker)
  • Carl Chudyk (Innovation, Mottainai)
  • Uwe Rosenberg (Schnappchen Jagd, Glass Road, Bohnanza)

If I were to extend my list to my top 100, Lehmann, Chvatil, and Rosenberg have all designed at least two more games that I love (none of which appear in Talking Time's top 50). Lehmann also gets credit for designing expansions for Outpost and Saint Petersburg, and developing Roll for the Galaxy, which all appear in my top 25.
  1. Race for the Galaxy
  2. Mage Knight Board Game
  3. Innovation
  4. Factory Fun
  5. Tigris & Euphrates
  6. Android: Netrunner
  7. Food Chain Magnate
  8. Quartermaster General
  9. Outpost
  10. 1846
  11. Lewis & Clark
  12. Homesteaders
  13. Acquire
  14. Russian Railroads
  15. Saint Petersburg
  16. Schnappchen Jagd
  17. Shadowrun: Crossfire
  18. Mottainai
  19. Glass Road
  20. Roll for the Galaxy
  21. Galaxy Trucker
  22. Tzolk'in
  23. Bohnanza
  24. Cosmic Encounter
  25. Ginkgopolis
Old 06-07-2017, 09:52 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pence View Post
The only thing I'm really disappointed by is that no one even mentioned Tigris & Euphrates.
I like T&E quite a lot, but it didn't make my list because I've actually had several bad experiences playing it. I've played it with several completely different groups, and it seems to make people genuinely angry more than possibly any other board game that I've played (possibly relevant to note here that I've only played a single game of Diplomacy), and those hurts feelings have coloured my feelings about it.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
I made a big-ass thread about it on THIS VERY FORUM and it has a Steam app so if you don't feel like playing it with me then I am crying now.
Do you know if it's crossplay? I have it for Android (which is even better because it's portable), and I have never played multiplayer but would be interested in doing so. Also, do you need to have all the expansions that everyone else is playing with? I assume so but also that is lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
I want to either LP it on this forum someday or make Mogri do it.
Ha. I have played Alchemists just once. I wouldn't be averse to playing it again, but neither did I rush out and buy it.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Crabjörn

Yeah it's crossplay, I run some games with my friend using Android no problem.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:58 PM
and ermine, too

Quote:
I like T&E quite a lot, but it didn't make my list because I've actually had several bad experiences playing it. I've played it with several completely different groups, and it seems to make people genuinely angry more than possibly any other board game that I've played (possibly relevant to note here that I've only played a single game of Diplomacy), and those hurts feelings have coloured my feelings about it.
Interesting, that's something I associate more with El Grande, which gives you a lot more leeway to pick on a single player (maybe even inadvertently)
Old 06-07-2017, 06:57 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I feel like not calling it METAL CHESS was a missed opportunity.
But that's not entirely accurate. Sometimes it's ROCK CHESS!
Old 06-08-2017, 07:41 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
One of my early ideas for goofs for this thread was going to be assigning each entry an arbitrary version of Monopoly. I decided not to go with this, but it certainly was not because there weren't enough versions of the game to do it. Kalir said upthread that "Love Letter is... second to Fluxx in terms of games that get reskinned to fit different franchises", but he missed the big-daddy franchise re-skin king. As of last week, there are 2970 different versions of Monopoly. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that there's been a new one in the week since.
Speaking of Monopoly re-skins:

Tags
bertolli , classy jbear pics , falselogic ruins #1 , game pieces don't talk , olive oil , tabletop games , top 50 , top 50 countdown , wake up meeple!