The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 10-27-2016, 10:12 AM
The metal babble flees!

While I'm enamored of the idea of a lowered animal fat meal 3x a week, the idea of eating greens that taste less of vinegar/more of savory i.e. like you get at Southern bbq places is very appealing and I know my partner would be 100% into it too. So do you fry up a piece of bacon as an oil base instead of using olive oil, something like that?
Old 10-27-2016, 02:54 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

It honestly doesn't take much, just cube a few .5cm chunks (lardon-style fatback -basically cubes of thick bacon - is my pref but I also use Blue Apron because I aint got time to actually COOK what am I made of time?) and let them render out, then either (a) toss in the collards/kale/whatever it is you're sauteing and cook them in the fat, along with your bacon bits, or (b) render out the bacon fat as above, pour it off, and add it to the fresh green that you just mixed with the tiny bottle of vinegar to make a cheapass almost vinaigrette. Don't use a whole ton, in that case, but there's options for both hot and cold prep.

There's good reasons they don't put bacon in but it does potentially add a lot when they've already taken it out.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:56 PM
Good Bee

I've had several Blue Apron recipes that used a big ol' hunk of butter instead of the usual olive oil. I'm sure you can substitute butter for olive oil in other sautees if you want a quick flavor boost without the hassle/temptation of keeping bacon around.

While we're giving Fat Tips, I keep grapeseed oil around to use any time the recipe calls for using olive oil on something that will be heated, and only use olive oil for things that will not be heated (generally dressings).
Old 10-29-2016, 09:34 AM
Butternut Squash

so I got a free box of one of these and was a bit disappointed to find all I got was the herbs and spices related to 4 recipes, no ingredients. Then I found out all the cool ones my friends were getting were super expensive, but did indeed include ingredients. This box (if I paid for it) was £8.99 against ingredient boxes that are £25+. Nice idea, but when you consider you can get the herbs/spices yourself cheaper, it's a bit of a wizz.

Anyway, I'm trying the butternut squash risotto recipe I got in it tonight. Will report back with findings. Butternut squash is my mortal enemy, so I don't expect this to be fun.

Edit: No point doing a photo cos risotto looks like barf at the best of times, but it was really nice! Again, not sure I really needed a box to be sent to me to accomplish it, but it was fairly simple and none too expensive (at least it was when I left out the parmesan and pine nuts and subbed for cheddar and walnuts).

Last edited by MooMoo; 10-30-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:58 PM
Good Bee

This is more related to cooking in general than Blue Apron specifically, but Blue Apron is all I cook, so here it goes.

Every recipe I cook comes to a screeching halt whenever it comes to handling chicken. I'm hyper paranoid about food borne illness, so especially when I was just getting started, I'd always end up washing my hands what felt like a dozen times over the course of preparing that one ingredient.

Tear off a bunch of paper towels, get out a separate cutting board, cut the chicken over the sink, towel off the chicken, realize you didn't tear off enough paper towels. Wash hands. Tear off more paper towels, finish toweling off the chicken, put it on the cutting board. Wash hands. Apply seasonings to one side of the chicken, patting it in place. Turn the chicken over. Wash hands. Apply seasonings to the other side of the chicken, patting them in place. Wash hands. Heat up the pan. Move chicken to pan. Wash hands. Dispose of paper towels, move cutting board to sink. Wash hands. Clean area around the cutting board you accidentally got a little chicken juice on. Wash hands. And every time I wash my hands throughout that process, that adds a solid 1-2 minutes to prep time, as I'm extremely thorough about washing them. GAH

I'm getting a little more efficient but it's still a big stumbling block in every recipe. Just made chicken and broccoli last night and I had the bright idea to prep the chicken while the broccoli was sauteeing, forgetting that while I was preparing the chicken, I wouldn't be able to do anything with the broccoli, so it got pretty badly burned as my hands were stuck in Off Limits Chicken Zone the entire time I was supposed to be stirring it occasionally in the pan.

Basically I want to burn my kitchen down any time raw chicken is in it and needed to rant.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:00 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Preaching to the choir. I saw some video once where they slathered a chicken in dye and then had someone cook and clean thoroughly and then turned on the black-light, and it's all I can ever think of when I'm handling it. I treat chicken like it's radioactive when I cook with it, and wash my hands just as often as you do. I hate cooking with it (or most raw meat, really).
Old 11-01-2016, 10:55 AM
the :motion: stands

I usually lick my fingers once and then figure any accidental exposure after that will pale in comparison.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:58 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Yet you all keep your toothbrushes in the same room you shit in...
Old 11-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Why would I keep toothbrushes in my sex dungeon?
Old 11-01-2016, 11:15 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

chicken cutting:

either 1) do your chicken prep FIRST before you do anything else, then move the chicken to a container and thoroughly wash the cutting board and knife

or 2) use a separate cutting board and knife for your meat.

You're also washing your hands longer than you need to.

That being said, one of my criteria for the sink when we remodeled the kitchen was faucets I could operate with the back of my forearms so I could easily wash my hands when they were meat-contaminated, so I feel you.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:39 AM
The metal babble flees!

The take-home I get from discussions like this is that there's not any reasonable way to 100% prevent yourself from eating living food-borne bacteria. (Moyashimon, anyone?) At least you have some control over that, whereas when you eat at a restaurant you have no way to know the servers' and chefs' sanitary habits.

I'm not as fastidious as some others here, but I do wash my hands and the counter after handling meat.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:50 PM
forbidden noise

stuff like this makes me think about how much i love cooking and eating vegetarian hahaha

it's so easy, too
Old 11-01-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Not me. I also wash my hands after coming in contact with cash and coins, knobs, handles, chemical cleaning supply containers, pancreas and shaking other people's hands.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:23 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
stuff like this makes me think about how much i love cooking and eating vegetarian hahaha

it's so easy, too
Yeah, I'm not vegetarian but my wife is, so we usually don't use any meat at home, and honestly I usually don't bother dealing with real meat even when she's out of town. Having to give much less of a fuck about fastidious food safety is definitely a benefit. As long as nothing's growing fuzzy shit, we're probably good.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:26 PM
Good Bee

Had a very good interaction with Blue Apron customer service; Friday morning, when my box was scheduled to arrive Friday evening, I got an email from them saying that the delivery would be late, then another email from them that evening saying it would be stored safely overnight and delivered the following day and gave a full refund (without me even needing to ask). So they were very proactive in notifying me about the delivery status, and generous in the refund due to the inconvenience, and the food was fine when it arrived a day late anyway so I got six meals for free. Score.

That's the very first time I've encountered a hiccup in their normal service since I started it in June, and I'm pleased to see they handled it very well.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:47 AM
The metal babble flees!

FedEx didn't leave our shipment last week at the door like they usually do, so we ended up going to the ground ship office to pick it up. When I checked e-mail later, BA had sent a message saying "you didn't receive your package, don't worry, it will still be fresh tomorrow when they attempt delivery." The package was marked to be left without signature, so that was FedEx's error, and it's good to know that the packaging accommodates for blips like that.

As for the BA stuff itself, it's going well! We're able to predict where the recipes are going, a lot of the time

Citrus: zest off and mince the rind, quarter the rest.
"In a medium pan, non-stick if you have one..."
etc.

The dishes are getting pretty easy to make, and I'm already getting to the point that I believe I could follow a recipe that didn't start off in a parcel. I have a few America's Test Kitchen books (courtesy of the parents) where the recipes are as foolproof as recipes are likely to get, so that should be a good next step.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:34 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
Citrus: zest off and mince the rind, quarter the rest.
"In a medium pan, non-stick if you have one..."
etc.

The dishes are getting pretty easy to make, and I'm already getting to the point that I believe I could follow a recipe that didn't start off in a parcel. I have a few America's Test Kitchen books (courtesy of the parents) where the recipes are as foolproof as recipes are likely to get, so that should be a good next step.
Yeah, I'm having the same experience, and I love the feeling of growing more comfortable with cooking. I'm picking up more and more tips on tweaking/enhancing their recipes, usually from the comments on their recipes online but also often from Hito. I'll usually be cooking something then call over: "Hey, they want me to do this this and this to finish the salad, is there anything I can add to make it tastier?" "Yeah, add some {X}."

After my comments earlier in the thread, I've also gotten much better at handling raw meat while staying sanitary without stretching the prep time out too much. Simple optimizations like changing a process that used to be something like:

"Unwrap chicken. Wash hands. Grab paper towels, pat the chicken dry. Wash hands. Chop the chicken. Wash hands. Salt and pepper one side of the chicken. Wash hands. Salt and pepper the other side of the chicken. Wash hands. Flour one side of the chicken. Wash hands. Flour the other side of the chicken. Wash hands. Oil/heat the pan. Move chicken to pan. Wash hands. Thoroughly wash main cutting board (large wooden boos block, not dishwasher safe)."

That process is now more like:

"Oil pan, get salt/pepper/flour all together in a bowl, get secondary (dishwasher safe) plastic cutting board, knife and paper towels all ready, pull out trash can. Unwrap chicken, pat dry, throw away chicken wrapper/towels, chop chicken, knife in sink, toss chicken with pre-prepared flour/seasoning, cutting board in sink. Wash hands and knife (to be reused later). Tongs to transfer chicken to hot pan, done."

Just as sanitary, but easily 5 times faster and WAY less stressful (just typing out the old process stressed me out). Switching to a workflow like that really made a world of difference for the non-vegetarian dishes. Took me a while to get the hang of, though.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:39 PM
King Of Space-Time

Got a $40 off your first box code for Hello Fresh

first come, first serve. Just say something if you use it. Expires in 30 days.

3A432Q345
Old 06-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

$30 off your first Blue Apron delivery if you go through the following address: blueapron.com/ba17b20. Expires 8/31. I have no idea if this is a unique code or not.

Tags
food , mail , netflix for your mouth