The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 05-17-2017, 10:00 AM
Gesundheit!

Hey Perler people,

I'm moving in a month, and I'm getting a little sick of the process of removing and cleaning tack from the walls as I disassemble my Mega Murals. As you can see, at my current place it's doing quite a number on the paint job and will likely eat into my cleaning deposit.

I know my Perlering is a couple degrees of ridiculous above the norm, but does anyone know a cleaner, non-adhesive way to put these things on the wall? I'm thinking of affixing them to a few slabs of particle board and then hanging them on nails, but if there's an even more efficient way I'd love to hear it.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:29 AM
concern troll

It still might take some paint off, but those 3M strips work pretty well and at least are clear. I've had pretty good luck removing them with little issue
Old 05-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Life depends on change

We've used little pins stuck through the perler holes to hang them up in the past, but that may or may not do more damage to your walls considering the sheer volume of ones you hang up...
Old 05-17-2017, 11:25 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
We've used little pins stuck through the perler holes to hang them up in the past, but that may or may not do more damage to your walls considering the sheer volume of ones you hang up...
I was thinking this would work except pin it onto a corkboard you've hung on the wall?
Old 05-17-2017, 11:27 AM
Gesundheit!

That's a really good idea. Corkboards can run pretty steep, especially for the size I need, but I think small pinholes won't be an issue with our new place. I might go with cork or particle board for my Skull Castle, which is smaller.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:49 AM
Video Monster

Yeah I've used those 3M strips a lot and they can pull up the paint, especially if you've left them in place for a long time.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:33 PM
Life depends on change

I just noticed, after looking at the pictures posted in this thread - you added Oil Man, which is in that picture you posted today, but I don't see Time Man - post a picture of him, too, when you get a chance, taosterman!
Old 05-17-2017, 02:18 PM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
I just noticed, after looking at the pictures posted in this thread - you added Oil Man, which is in that picture you posted today, but I don't see Time Man - post a picture of him, too, when you get a chance, taosterman!
I made a Time Man one, but a piece of it broke off and got lost and I ran out of that color bead, so I need to make another one. I'll post a picture of the full square after my move, once everything's re-mounted.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:52 PM
actually an eevee

What about a pegboard like you see in workshops? Google shop pegboard
Old 05-30-2017, 03:37 AM
I. Love. It.

I finally found something that seems to work well in holding up Perlers on a painted wall without ripping the paint up when you go to remove them. Look for Scotch Mounting Squares, I found them in the stationary section at Wal-Mart. Mine were a smaller size than the ones I linked, but that's basically what you're after.

My test-Perler has held up on the wall all night, and when I went to remove it the tabs cleanly peeled off the wall. Still can't say if it'll stay up indefinitely, I guess I'll update here if it ever falls off.

The package warns not to use it on surfaces with 'flat paint', whatever that means, so it may not be suitable for any ol' painted wall. But it seems to work for mine.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:29 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Flat paint is a type of paint, and refers to the reflectivity of the paint. You can get interior paint in a number of formats, typically flat or gloss, etc. I'd guess that's whatever's added to the glossy paints prevents the adhesive from pulling the paint away?
Old 07-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Gesundheit!

A bit of a mash-up, but I think it works. I saw that someone else in this thread did the same Majora pattern, and I promise I'm not ripping you off — I did the same pattern completely by coincidence for my wife's birthday last fall.

With four Stardroids on the left and five on the right, it's a bit out of balance, but I'll probably fix that by making a Sunstar one for the left end, in keeping with my Majora-centric cosmology.

Also, it turns out that simple tacks mount Perler art to the wall easily and effectively, in keeping with my new landlord's adhesive-free policy.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Gesundheit!

Update: Done! And yeah I need to patch that hole.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Not a Beer

Nice. I didn't even know those guys all had colored sprites.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Gesundheit!

There's some sprite fan art floating around that draws on the color palette of the concept art, so I based it on that.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Sudden chomper

I'm about to start my first Perler project and I was wondering if you guys had any advice. I read the post on the first page, so I know to use a book when they're cooling and not to push hard when ironing. Any other tips? Do people here iron both sides or just one? I like the circle look better than the melty look...
Old 09-03-2017, 02:19 PM
actually an eevee

I like the circle look too, but the problem with that is that you need to display it with something behind it, so that you don't just see straight through it. I like to more or less completely fill in one side then leave the other relatively open to get the best of both worlds. You can view the back for the filled-in sprite look, or view the front, but since the back is filled in, there's less problem with seeing whatever is behind it through the holes.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:09 AM
Sudden chomper

Cut Man was a success, and Elec Man is cooling down as we speak! I tend to go a little light with the heat, so I've had to refuse a few sections that weren't properly stuck together. The boy is very happy with his robot masters and I'm enjoying the process of making them, at least so far. Didn't have the right colour for the skin around Elec Man's mouth, since the store had a limited selection, but I think the salmony colour I chose works fine. I'll try to get a picture up later, since I'm not at home now.

Tags
art , sprite art