The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-26-2016, 05:51 AM
Mystery Contraption

Descent (part 2) wraps up our little cliffhanger unspectacularly. The Soong Boys use their Borg army to try to capture the Crew and only manage to get, like, half of them. The rest get away and meet up with Hugh, who retains his sense of individuality and is mighty cheesed off that he was given it, since assimilating that is what put the Borg in such a vulnerable state that a guy like Lore could take them over. He wants nothing more then to restore the Borg to their previous state of being a universal scourge (can't really argue with that) and the crew wants to help since Lore is kind of an ass even without an inexhaustible supply of cyborg soldiers. Data, everyone figures, has been having emotions beamed into his brains by Lore, so intensely that he winds up being chemically dependant on them, so he's not evil, he's just jonesing for some Feelings. Also, Lore and Data are going to experiment on Geordi and Trois brains so see how they worked all robotted up. Eventually, the crew manages to lead a Borg revolt to overthrow Lore and get Hugh back in charge and Datas hatred of Lore in particular overrides his addiction to Feeling Things, and he shoots him dead.

Oh, and there's a subplot about Crusher now being in charge of the Enterprise and needing to take command of a team of inexperienced crew members in a battle against a Cube, but that's not anywhere near as interesting to me as what Crusher normally does.

Liasons is one of those episodes where the Enterprise is scheduled to be host to some peace ambassadors and something goes dreadfully wrong. Normally, that means that there's a spy on board looking to derail peace talks, or someone gets knocked on the head and needs Picard to stand in or Q shows up to do as Q do, but not this time. This time the ambassadors are just complete turds. The one assigned to Worf is rude and confrontational to the point that he is struggling with all his power to not punch his damn head off, the one assigned to Troi... Umm... Eats... A lot more cake then she does? I guess? And the one working with Picard dies (rude!) and leaves him stranded on an uninhabited planet with one other human who had pretty much the same thing happen to her and who falls in love with him.

Anyhow, as it turns out the aliens don't have any of the same emotions that people (or Betazoids or Klingons) do and we're just trying to see what anger, pleasure and love all look like. Once that was revealed, Worf and the Angry Guy become besties, Troi and Hungry Guy learn the joys of moderation, and Picard wasn't actually in love with the Attractive Human Female that his guy was imitating, and less so to a bumpy-headed spaceman, so no change there.

I guess he's a bit irritated at spending several days on a desert while being tended to by a crazy person, but he handles it with his usual gentle stoicism.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:15 AM
Oily Butt Thing

I totally forgot everything about that episode except cake-eating guy, because he was a hoot.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:42 PM
who's she

The whole thing of Data having no emotions, except for curiosity, concern, trepidation, a sense of fairness, or whatever else the episode requires, makes less and less sense the more you think about it, but Descent pt.2 is the point where you have to give up even trying to rationalize it.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:19 AM
McBear

In Liasons, the guy who was all like OM NOM NOM DESSERTS and stuff?

Paul Eiding. Colonel Campbell.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:38 AM

Tremendous news:

http://www.startrek.com/article/nich...ar-trek-series
Old 02-27-2016, 12:04 PM
just ignore my posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Shit, man. O_O
Old 02-28-2016, 04:21 AM
I. Love. It.

I am absolutely ready for more Star Trek on the TV.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Orbit View Post
Shit, man. O_O
The Bryan Fuller announcement didn't mean much to me personally because I don't have the personal experience necessary to judge his credentials.

But this? I know this. This is amazing. I just hope he can contribute in a meaningful manner creatively and isn't too old yet.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:20 AM
Out Of Warranty

Do I want a new Nicholas Meyer Trek? Yup. Do I want it bad enough to pay for yet another streaming service? Well....
Old 02-28-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Do I want a new Nicholas Meyer Trek? Yup. Do I want it bad enough to pay for yet another streaming service? Well....
Yo, I've lived life without new Star Trek to watch (sorry Abrams) longer than at any time in history, and it's hands down my favorite tv show of all time. Yes, I will pay to watch.

Especially when you consider the value proposition. Cbs streaming is like $6/mo. If you subscribe only during when Star Trek airs, that's basically a price of $1.50/episode. That's cheaper than renting episodes on iTunes. That's a better entertainment proposition than most things I just paid for this weekend. That's like the third of a price of a movie ticket for twice the length of a film. For my favorite tv show of all time.

I was pretty reluctant to the idea initially too. But the costs are honestly trivial considering how much I care about this and considering the alternative of just no new Star Trek instead.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:01 PM
Mystery Contraption

Interface is a Geordi episode that, thankfully, doesn't involve his romantic life. Instead he's test-driving a remote control Geordi that can go into dangerous places, with the hope of using Remote Geordi to investigate a wrecked ship. And all THAT gets sidetracked when his mom suddenly (probably) dies after disappearing in space. Geordi is bummed, and also a bit in denial (not unreasonable; how many times has the Enterprise disappeared into space holes or been destroyed only to be rebuilt by time-travel shenanigans), but he opts to cope by burying himself in his work of working with Psuedo-Geordi. And, while investigating the ship, he keeps seeing his moms ghost. Long story short, Sparkle Monsters were the ones who destroyed the ship and they communicate through messing with people's perceptions, and Fake Geordi is able to see them without dying so he's able to help them without anyone dying and that's about that.

No word on whether his moms actually dead though, but the sparkle monsters are okay.

And speaking of people dying, that's what Picard does in the cold-open for The Gambit. Riker is a bit peeved by this and goes on a Death Wish styled rampage, but, while that would have made a hell of a good plot for a 2-parter, it's not necessary. Picards fine, but was kidnapped by Space Pirates. Which, now that I write that, sounds WAY better. Riker also gets kidnapped, and as part of multiple overlapping PIRATE INTRIGUE plots, Picard has convinced everyone he's a smuggler (I know that Pirate isn't a job that would imply a strong knowledge of political climate, but the odds that none of them recognize Picard is a bit of a stretch) and Riker tries to get into the Pirate captains good graces, and both try to lead a mutiny. Eventually Riker gets back to the Enterprise and Picard finds out that the Pirates were looking for the pieces to a Vulcan super weapon, and the pirate lady that Picard was besties with was secretly a jerk and wants the weapon for herself, and new up getting it. Picard figures out the weapons weakness (it only works on people who want to hurt you) and then arrests her, after she kills all the rest of the Pirates.

Oh, and Data is in command of the Enterprise and speaks weirdly evasively for a guy who's supposed to be literal all the time.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:52 AM
Mystery Contraption

As implied by the title, Phantasms is this seasons spooky scary Halloween episode (kind of sorta). And we've had, like, 4 or 5 Spooky Halloween episodes, but not one where the Ferengi learn about Santa Clause and try to swindle him out of his Toy Sack. For shame, Star Trek writers.

Anyhow, Datas newfangled ability to dream has progressed to the point that he can have nightmares now, and while he's super-pumped (by Data standards) at first, he soon comes to realize that having your brain scare you in the middle of the night kind of sucks, and Troi is no help (shockingly) since she's trained to work on normal psychosis, not Positronic Brains. Anyhow, Datas nightmares become more frequent, lurid, violent and progress to the point that he can't tell when he's awake or asleep anymore and he keeps seeing the rest of the crew being covered in mouths which he has to stab like crazy.

At first everyone thinks Datas just gone nuts, but Crusher finds the real culprit; and it ain't no fancy-pants psychosis; everyone's covered in GIANT INVISIBLE GERMS! Datas brain detects them, but opts to interpret them as Frightening Dreams rather then, you know, giant germs on people's heads. The crew finds out how to cure the germs (screaming at them) and everything is back to normal.

And Crusher further cements herself as being one of my Favorite characters.

Also; Data and Troi finish the episode by eating a cake shaped like her and that's weird. That's a weird thing.

I don't want to think about the Troi Cake anymore, please.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:19 AM
The Goggles do Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I don't want to think about the Troi Cake anymore, please.
Well, then don't come around here no more.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:02 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoggleBob View Post
Well, then don't come around here no more.
Did anybody else get that? Cos I got it.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:07 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

I got it. But admitting that I get it is effectively a confession stating I Am OldTM.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:38 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Did anybody else get that? Cos I got it.
I figured it would take less than five posts to come up.

Leave it to Gobblebog to fail to disappoint!
Old 02-29-2016, 02:31 PM
just ignore my posts

Troicake always confused and freaked me out as a kid.

Still confuses me to this day, but I haven't seen the episode since the mid 90s so it might not if I re-watched it.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:02 PM
Safe Space

With mint frosting.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Mystery Contraption

Aaa and the show has disappeared from Netflix.

Well, cuss you, too, Netflix.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:26 PM
120 Days

Quote:

CRAVE TV
Old 03-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Mystery Contraption

We're rapidly approaching the point where that may well need to go down that road.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:38 PM
McBear

Might be due to the CBS streaming thing.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:39 PM
120 Days

if you have telus or bell it's 6$
Old 03-01-2016, 06:28 PM
I. Love. It.

To be honest I was surprised that Netflix managed to keep TNG for so long with CraveTV having its hooks in literally every other Star Trek show.

CraveTV ain't a terrible deal, though, Octo since you can now get it on its own without needing to sign up for Bell Cable, I think. It has HBO shows as well, so hey, you can stream the Sopranos and the Wire and stuff with it.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:49 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Well, double dumb-ass on you, too, Netflix.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:16 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
To be honest I was surprised that Netflix managed to keep TNG for so long with CraveTV having its hooks in literally every other Star Trek show.

CraveTV ain't a terrible deal, though, Octo since you can now get it on its own without needing to sign up for Bell Cable, I think. It has HBO shows as well, so hey, you can stream the Sopranos and the Wire and stuff with it.
Yeah, I'd get it for the DCCW shows alone if it wasn't for...

*pats 5TB hard drive hooked up to PS3, whistles*

(Meanwhile, Shomi is... um... well, I guess if I wanted to watch a bunch of terrible CBS comedies and NBC dramas I'd be down with that. My West Wing and Veronica Mars DVDs still work just fine, thanks.)
Old 03-02-2016, 09:28 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:

This is the worst news.

If it makes you feel any better, the next episode was a Troi episode.

Also, FWIW, I find that TNG episodes are typically pretty easy to watch online. They used to all be on YouTube, but a quick Google search for the next episode's title brought up a good-quality DailyMotion hit.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Out Of Warranty

I'm still hoping against hope that Netflix gets the Trek distribution rights in Europe so I can finally watch DS9.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
This is the worst news.

If it makes you feel any better, the next episode was a Troi episode.

Also, FWIW, I find that TNG episodes are typically pretty easy to watch online. They used to all be on YouTube, but a quick Google search for the next episode's title brought up a good-quality DailyMotion hit.
Yeah, I watched it, and was then hopeful that the next one would have been a palate cleanser.

(Though, for what it's worth, Trois role as psychiatrist was actually relevant and useful. Took 7 seasons for her to be slightly useful).

On the plus side, the TNG movies are still on Netflix. The series was about 3/4s Very Good, and there's four movies, so odds are strongly in my Favor there!
Old 03-02-2016, 09:40 AM
Out Of Warranty

I hate to tell you this, Octo, but statistics might betray you. Thread carefully.

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher