The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-17-2016, 05:32 AM

At least show the items you already found so when using a guide you don't have to check all spots again.

I just didn't 100% it.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:20 PM
120 Days

This is on xbone now. I may rebuy. Gotta support the band etc!
Old 01-01-2017, 12:38 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I finally got around to playing this and I didn't really care for it. It looks bad, the enemies take too many hits (regardless of the weapon), they do too much damage, they drop health too infrequently, the maps are a mess, half the weapons suck, the story is nonsense, and the music is bad. All that being said, I played it to completion because it kept giving me new toys to play with.

The best part of the game, IMO, is the drone which would have been even better if it wasn't just Player but the size of a tile. Like, what if it controlled like Grant from Castlevania III or something like that. Totally a missed opportunity.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:05 PM
Just bear with me

Is there a way to transfer data from the Vita version to the PS4 one? Because I really, really don't want to have to start from the beginning.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:49 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
I finally got around to playing this and I didn't really care for it. It looks bad, the enemies take too many hits (regardless of the weapon), they do too much damage, they drop health too infrequently, the maps are a mess, half the weapons suck, the story is nonsense, and the music is bad. All that being said, I played it to completion because it kept giving me new toys to play with.

The best part of the game, IMO, is the drone which would have been even better if it wasn't just Player but the size of a tile. Like, what if it controlled like Grant from Castlevania III or something like that. Totally a missed opportunity.
Man. I can't disagree with this more save for the maps which need a little "tightening up". Brevity is the soul of wit etc. I love this game.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:41 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Is there a way to transfer data from the Vita version to the PS4 one? Because I really, really don't want to have to start from the beginning.
I'd like to know this too. Although I finished the game on PC, I got about halfway through on the Vita and thought I could pick up on that progress when I downloaded to the PS4.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:13 AM
Chief Servbot

Not liking the game, I understand. But that soundtrack? Best part of the game to me! I'm really impressed with these one-man projects that not only do their own music but have great music to boot.

Last edited by Ludendorkk; 01-04-2017 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:30 PM

The best way to listen to that soundtrack is somewhere with some thumpin' bass. Really adds to the atmosphere.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:41 PM
All are Santa Saturn

I recently discovered the AV OST on Spotify. I have some Beats headphones which are very ho-hum for most of the music I listen to but are pretty damn nice for this OST.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:01 PM
120 Days

This soundtrack rules. I am very not an OST guy, but I am digging this.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:23 PM
Video Monster

I love the soundtrack.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:37 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I'm trying to play through this. Again. I'm about at the same point I was last time when I got lost and/or stuck.

Right after where you find the lil drone. Hoping I can find my way out of it this time...
Old 02-20-2017, 08:54 PM
120 Days

Do you have the grappling hook?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:15 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Do you have the grappling hook?
Nope! I don't ever recall getting that. I did get the syringe though?
Old 02-21-2017, 11:02 AM
120 Days

Ok so i forget where exactly - but its on the far right of the map in an outdoor area ( i think Kur?) and there is a pit that once you are in you can't get out, unless you have the hook. You need to huck your drone bug into a wall hole to find the power up. I think this is where you are now - but I forget the exact chain of events - the pre hook part is where i was stuck!

Now - this game is rad, but still a bit obtuse. Don't feel shame in looking up a walkthrough
Old 02-27-2017, 04:38 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Ok so i forget where exactly - but its on the far right of the map in an outdoor area ( i think Kur?) and there is a pit that once you are in you can't get out, unless you have the hook. You need to huck your drone bug into a wall hole to find the power up. I think this is where you are now - but I forget the exact chain of events - the pre hook part is where i was stuck!

Now - this game is rad, but still a bit obtuse. Don't feel shame in looking up a walkthrough
I found it. And a lot of other things! Then I beat the game. But I didn't get the "best" ending? Because while I found 90% of the map I only found 66% of all the goodies.

It was fun though! And you are right a bit obtuse at points. If I had kept going forward the first time I played I think I would have found the hook and the trenchcoat and then been able to get back. But not finding those and feeling stuck is what led me to quit the first time.

Good game!
Old 02-27-2017, 04:44 PM
Programmed to Jingle

An ending you can walk away from is a Good Ending
Old 02-28-2017, 11:46 AM
PROF. VIDEO GAMES, PHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
The best way to listen to that soundtrack is somewhere with some thumpin' bass. Really adds to the atmosphere.
No joke this is the game that taught me that my PS4 sound was misconfigured. I played it for a few hours without getting the bass channel properly and then when I finally managed to get it set up right, WOW

Also I should maybe go back and play it again
Old 03-01-2017, 12:37 PM
Find Your Reason

It'd be nice to get a PSN update that allowed for crossplay from Vita to PS4.

It'd be even nicer to get a patch, on any platform, that made the weak point on the wasp boss much bigger and more exposed.

Everything else has been aces, though. Replaying on Steam currently, and the soundtrack and animation are just soooo good.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:11 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

I just picked this up over the weekend and right out the gate I've encountered what must be a glitch. Whenever I take damage my character turns completely invisible for about one second. Anyone know how to fix this?

Edit: Well, just before I posted this I checked my display settings. Somehow my monitor's settings were only outputting at 30Hz. I changed it to 60Hz and that fixed the problem. Still, it seems a little peculiar to me that a game with deliberately retro graphics requires 60fps just to prevent your character from turning invisible after taking a hit.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
I just picked this up over the weekend and right out the gate I've encountered what must be a glitch. Whenever I take damage my character turns completely invisible for about one second. Anyone know how to fix this?

Edit: Well, just before I posted this I checked my display settings. Somehow my monitor's settings were only outputting at 30Hz. I changed it to 60Hz and that fixed the problem. Still, it seems a little peculiar to me that a game with deliberately retro graphics requires 60fps just to prevent your character from turning invisible after taking a hit.
Many retro games output at 60 fps as well. I imagine you'd notice a similar effect with any Megaman or Metroid game. It's not that unusual.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:50 AM

Yeah, most retro games are displaying at a resolution of 240p, which actually runs at 60 Hz, not an interlaced 30 Hz.

Stuff like Castlevania flickers at 30 Hz when you get hit, so when you watch YouTube videos, the character sprite will often disappear (or turn solid) when hit. You can also see this in Contra with the Spreader shots, many of them will not be visible unless you're playing the video at 60 Hz. (I noticed this when I uploaded my no-death Contra run, which is why I ended up having to scale to 720p so it would trigger the 720p60 mode on there.)
Old 04-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Video Monster

That flicker thing always bugs me when I'm watching LPs on youtube.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:17 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Having resolved the disappearing character issue I've been playing this a good bit tonight. It's pretty fun!

But now I've had another glitch come up. Sometimes certain sound effects stop playing altogether. Some of my weapons would make sounds and others became silent. It was really weird! I just quit the game. Hopefully when I start it back up it will have fixed itself.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:59 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Aside from a couple minor glitches I groused about above I've really been enjoying this game. Axiom Verge is rad!

I've been blitzing through this game and just got through to the ending. The bad ending, I guess? I've got 93% map cleared and 74% items collected. Am I correct in assuming that there's a good ending that I could get if I find the right items?

Musings about the game:

The fever dream sequence is rad. It can imagine it not being fun if it had been implemented poorly but the execution is well done and it's a memorable sequence in the game.

There's an almost overwhelming diversity of weapons and powerups in this game. It's pretty fun to mess around with different things. But the one really bad oversight is the game's lack of any sort of teleportation/fast travel system. Symphony of the Night had that, what, 17 years before Axiom Verge came out? It seems like a bad choice to not be able to fast travel between save spots.

I get a chuckle seeing Trace run around in a yellow leotard with the JUSTIN BAILEY code.

I'm glad that I had an Xbox One controller to play this game on with its nice and responsive d-pad. The old 360 controller that I previously used for PC games would have made controlling this game significantly more finicky, especially since Axiom Verge heavily relies on double tapping in the late game.

Re: the endgame: I was honestly expecting a total switch of allegiances in the final boss sequence. After seeing the full form of Elsenova on the bridge after she's repaired by the drones and learning that she's a war machine it seemed like it would have been a natural plot twist to team up with your future-self Athetos and fight Elsenova and the other whatchits like her. Maybe it will still happen if I go and gather up the items I haven't yet collected.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:46 AM
Are You Sure About That?

There totally is a fast-travel system, it's just not immediately obvious.

That one long corridor that bridges all of the areas? Try standing on a head.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Eh, that's more of a less-slow system. I was hoping for Castlevania-style instant transport.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:47 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Eh, that's more of a less-slow system. I was hoping for Castlevania-style instant transport.
Given the game's lore, yeah, a "teleport" could be justified and even implemented fairly easily by the save pods themselves.

Re: additional endings. AFAIK, there's no "good" ending or any different ending; you get the same exact denouement, but you also get an additional scene that changes its meaning.

I might look up an Xbone controller, now. I've played all my Steam games with a 360 controller, but if the Xbone has a better control pad (at least, friendlier to double-taps) it might be a good investment. Lord knows I couldn't even PLAY Crypt of the Necrodancer with the 360 one, I had to buy a USB SNES controller specifically for it.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:54 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I might look up an Xbone controller, now. I've played all my Steam games with a 360 controller, but if the Xbone has a better control pad (at least, friendlier to double-taps) it might be a good investment. Lord knows I couldn't even PLAY Crypt of the Necrodancer with the 360 one, I had to buy a USB SNES controller specifically for it.
I upgraded my 360 PC controller to an XBONE one about a year ago and it has been worth every penny. I finally have a PC controller that I just love with zero reservations.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:12 PM
Video Monster

Quote:
I get a chuckle seeing Trace run around in a yellow leotard with the JUSTIN BAILEY code.
This game got a slow nod of approval after I got the code thing, noticed it had the proper character limit, and immediately put in JUSTIN BAILEY to see if anything would happen.

Tags
axiom verge , games by tyrants , indie , metroidvania , retro , rise from your grave!