The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 02-24-2011, 07:48 AM
100% All Original

Oh yeah, Panera! I guess that's kinda fast food, and I eat there like twice a week. Their food is pretty real, though, plus you can get little individual souffles for breakfast!

Subway I'm not a fan of. It's certainly not actively terrible for you like a McDonald's, but everything there is pretty low-quality. The real downfall is the bread, which is such shitty bread. I'd sooner get a hoagie from Wawa than Subway.

Also just for fun:

Fast Food Place I Kinda Like That Everyone Seems To Hate: KFC

Fast Food Place I Despise With the Passion of a Thousand Suns: Taco Bell

Kinda ironic, considering they're always together these days.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:01 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
(best fries goes to Rally's/Checkers)
Man, I miss Checkers. The one we used to have up here is now like a drive-thru Chinese restaurant or something ridiculous.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

KFC isn't just greasy and bland, the actual quality of the ingredients is about as wretched as it gets in fast food.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
I guess the most recent fast food I had was Jimmy Johns, which is surprisingly fast. I don't really see why a lot of people go gaga over it; I'd rather just get quiznos.
The one in Boulder was awesome, the one here was unremarkable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Togo's
Oh man I miss Togo's.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:29 AM
punch a fish, make a wish

I haven't been to Togo's in years, but I always seem to have one right down the street from wherever I'm living. why have I not been eating Togo's? TOGO'S IS GREAT

I just read on their website that some locations have 'french mushroom brie' soup and now I think I really really need to go to Togo's.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Too Much TV Game

Whenever this thread (or something like it) appears on any forum I read, there is ALWAYS a group that has some foul experience at low-grade fast food, primarily McDonalds. I always scratch my head and wonder why some people (and their bodies) have completely awful reactions to that type of food. I've never really had that problem (exception: KFC's Hot Wings flavor chicken is an amazing way to start getting me to throw up - lesson for life) with fast food, and I wonder why. Perhaps it is because our body types, especially for those who are overweight, can simply absorb the badness...and perhaps that's why we are all fatties! Are the bodies of thinner, healthier people just averse to low-grade fast food? I'm somewhat fascinated with this.

This is not to say that I'm defending low-grade fast food like McDonalds, certainly not! It clearly isn't good for you and it has gotten remarkably more expensive lately compared to just gathering some healthy ingredients and learning how to cook. I sure wish I had more cooking talent than just browning meat, boiling water for noodles and then mixing them together with sauce.

Sometimes I have a craving for fast food, and that includes McDonalds and Wendy's, but I try to make Subway the lowest-level of fast food I regularly eat. It at least "pretends" to be healthy, but I always doom myself to blandness because I don't like tomatoes or peppers. I actually like Quiznos better than Subway, mostly because the ingredients clearly look better and you can get a side order of soup!

As for other burger places, I admit Arby's occasionally grabs me, but the "highest-level" burger place I've gone to is Culver's, which I would qualify as a mid-tier burger joint based entirely on the staff actually delivering your food to you. Well, that and their burgers are an entirely different level from the cheap McD/BK realm. I haven't tried Five Guys/Sonic/In 'n Out/etc, because there simply aren't locations out here in the Midwest.

How is everyone on the growing Mexican fast food genre? Qooba is fine and I especially liked the one time I went to Chipotle. It probably doesn't beat an actual restaurant, but for fast food these places are partial revelations.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:41 AM
100% All Original

Chipotle (which I always pronounce as chip-oatle when referring to the restuarant for some reason) is pretty good, Qudoba somewhat less so. California Tortilla I love, though.

Also, Sonic doesn't deserve to be listed next to Five Guys and the like. Sonic is McDonald's quality.
Merry Christmas, Ma

There's a Five Guys knockoff here called Fat Guys that comes highly recommended.

The best thing about Five Guys is definitely the fries.

Chip-oatle is so damn good. I used to eat that shit every single day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceTalk View Post
As for other burger places, I admit Arby's occasionally grabs me, but the "highest-level" burger place I've gone to is Culver's, which I would qualify as a mid-tier burger joint based entirely on the staff actually delivering your food to you. Well, that and their burgers are an entirely different level from the cheap McD/BK realm. I haven't tried Five Guys/Sonic/In 'n Out/etc, because there simply aren't locations out here in the Midwest.
Culvers burgers are like 50% butter (hence their name, "butter burgers"), so they've gotta be awful for you. Tastes pretty good, though.

Also, there are like 10 Five Guys here in the Kansas City area, so they're out here in the Midwest. Just not to wherever you are yet.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

McDonald's - my wife and kids like it but I'm not that crazy about it
Taco Bell - I like a chicken chalupa now and then but there's too many good, cheap Mexican places around here
Wendy's - I'm a boy that loves some chicken nuggets and Frosty's from Wendy's
Burger King - I like it every once in a while but meh
Long John Silver's (aka "LoJos", "The Silvers") - if it's fresh, it's good. if it's not, it is inedible
KFC - has gotten worse and worse, I quit eating there
Chick Fil A - I love me some spicy chicken sandwiches
Grandy's - I can murderlate some Grandy's rolls like you wouldn't believe
Subway - alright most of the time, I add bacon to everything
Quiznos - I used to eat there like once a week but immigrants and juggalos have taken over the stores around here and the service and quality of the food has gone out the window
Jersey Mike's - a new sub place that is my new drug of choice
Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 AM

I stopped going to Quiznos when they stopped putting fresh cilantro on the sandwich I liked and instead replaced it wish some kind of weird cilantro flavored powder.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

The final nail in the coffin for Quiznos was when the stores around here quit dipping the chicken in that broth to heat it up or whatever and just let the chicken sit in it all day. I don't know how but it makes the chicken really slimy and dry at the same time. It's baffling.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Wait, there are still Grandy's locations in existence?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Wait, there are still Grandy's locations in existence?
You bet your ass there is.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

That's horrifying.

And appetizing!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
KFC isn't just greasy and bland, the actual quality of the ingredients is about as wretched as it gets in fast food.
Sir, Long John Silver's. Long John Silver's.

I saw those bastards the other day try to refurbish their image in a ridiculous commercial where they claimed to be experts in seafood. Seafood is about as classy as Long John Silver's is awful, which is to say, really fucking awful. Like substandard cafeteria food that even the scummiest, most broken down public high school in Detroit would reject.

Bastards are a blight upon the seafood industry.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:55 AM
actually an eevee

Absolutely delicious bastards, though

When I go to my parents, usually I end up having LJS just because I can't get it up here. Always have to use several napkins on the fish though;D

It's really easy to develop food aversions, so the number of people who are reporting bad experiences in this thread isn't too unusual, Peacey. It doesn't even have to be the actual food that causes the aversion, just so long as the taste or scent is still kinda in your mind whenever you feel sick.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:57 AM

Oh.... you... *shakes fist in slow motion*

How is Panera a fast food joint?

There's no drive thru! Starbucks is a fast food restaurant compared to Panera.

(I love Panera.)
Old 02-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Love and Peace

KFC is not only tanking in quality, it's getting pretty damn expensive too. $40 for one of their "bucket meals" is bad enough without knowing that the money could have bought a week's worth of healthy (or healthy-ish) food at the grocery store.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:08 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Panera's a fast food joint, as much as they try and disguise it. I mean, if they're not, then stuff like Chipotle isn't, and that's just not true.

Which reminds me: WTF is the deal with Chipotle using largely-unflavoured rice in their dishes?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:11 PM
borgn

Chain restaurant =/= fast food. Panera is pretty good - for some reason there aren't any around here, but there were tons of them in New England, and we went to one several times a week when I was going to the office in San Francisco. What do most people consider the difference between fast food and a small pickup joint, or a chain restaurant? There's a new burger place at the end of my block that makes hhheavenly, giant hamburgers, and it's a tiny place, but I wouldn't call it fast food as such.

Anyway. Red Lobster is awesome for their cheezy biscuits, and I think that is all. I've never been to a Long John Silver's, because their branding makes me think of Gorton's frozen fishsticks, and that's not a good comparison to make. Plus they tend to be real ghetto places as well.

I went to an A&W recently when we went to an upscale mall, for the novelty. It was really awful. I got a value meal that cost seven bucks and amounted to what was basically a McDonald's double cheeseburger and small fries for seven bucks. It was such a bad value. And the root beer - you know, A&W root beer! What they're famous for, and you would think would be at least a little special. It was really watery and weak. Terrible. Do not go.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Too Much TV Game

My older sister, bless her heart, has forever ruined Long John Silver's for the entire family (and likely grandchildren to come) for claiming LJS restaurants smell like people's feet. I will never get that thought/smell out of my head enough to dare enter a Long John Silver's!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:24 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
What do most people consider the difference between fast food and a small pickup joint, or a chain restaurant? There's a new burger place at the end of my block that makes hhheavenly, giant hamburgers, and it's a tiny place, but I wouldn't call it fast food as such.
The big thing with me is that you order at a counter. Granted, that's not the be-all-and-end-all, but the lack of wait staff is a pretty big tipoff that you're in a fast food place (even if they do occasionally bring your food to you, that's not how the chain's designed to work).
Old 02-24-2011, 12:36 PM
100% All Original

Yeah, I mean I wasn't putting down Panera. Like I said, I eat there like twice a week (probably more now that the cafeteria in my office closed). But it's a place where you order your food at a cashier and then they give it to you within a couple minutes. That's fast food, it's just GOOD fast food.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
When I go to my parents, usually I end up having LJS just because I can't get it up here. Always have to use several napkins on the fish though;D
I do the same thing...right before I smother it in malt vinegar.

Also, does anyone else order crumbs from LJS? It's pretty ghetto but I started when I was a kid and I just can't stop myself.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:42 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

You get crumbs more-or-less automatically from LJS, don't you?

I do miss the hushpuppies. We don't do fry places well in Canada.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

If you're lucky, you'll get a little bed of crumbs under your fish/chicken but you can order a side just in case. They like have a button for it and everything.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:54 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Okay, important question:

What's a bigger sign that you're in the ghetto and should run like hell after getting your greasy food: LJS or Popeye's?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:58 PM
A No.1

Considering how much fast food I ate before and during college, it's amazing how I've nearly cut it down to zero these days. Maybe one dinner per month is Chipotle, if that, I'll hit a Taco Bell or something if I'm on a road trip, and the one or two times I have a hang over I'll hit up something like Long John Silver's to clear that right up, but...yeah. I can probably count on my fingers the number of times I ate fast food last year, and I'm super proud of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Your Popeye's delivers? Jesus, I'd never have to walk down the block ever again.
Every comment you leave like this gets me one step closer to pinpointing where you live. I've got it narrowed down to a three block radius at this point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
What's a bigger sign that you're in the ghetto and should run like hell after getting your greasy food: LJS or Popeye's?
Popeye's, no contest.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
Every comment you leave like this gets me one step closer to pinpointing where you live. I've got it narrowed down to a three block radius at this point!
You guys dropped me off once!

Tags
black bun , deep-fried , fries with that , good food quickly , guilty pleasures , ha1loween , hamburgers , i'm burgin' , regional differences , where's the beef? , wholegrains kill you