The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 04-16-2017, 10:31 AM
We just don't know.

In my campaign, we have the DM (male), me (likewise), and the other two players are women. I do end up reminding the other players about their abilities pretty often... but also the DM because I'm the kind of guy who can't remember what day of the week it is but seems to have every goddamn class ability and spell and in the book memorized. :| Also our other players actually do forget what they can do pretty often. I just reminded our paladin about her channel divinity and how many spell slots she had and she was like WHAT GODDAMMIT I COULD BE DOING SO MUCH MORE since she's basically been playing like a fighter who has Hunter's Mark.

Our ranger has used a couple good spells and a Rust Bag o' Tricks well before, and same thing, now and then I'll be like "hey this might be a good time to use spike growth, what do you think?" and she'll be like OH YEAH! I have that! But we also just need to find her some better spells to use now and then because most of the time the ones she has end up not being all that useful. She used to use rain of arrows now and then, and spike growth a few times, but most of the other spells she does have are kinda... not that useful. (Anyone got any good ideas for ranger spells?) She mainly stands back and plinks away with her power longbow (or whatever it's called when you take the hit penalty for the extra damage) and horde breaker and does a ton of damage.

But also the main thing is that I'm, y'know, not an asshole and always do so in a supportive/friendly/reminder way and never condescendingly (I hope). As a gamer and a man who has more female friends than male at least in my current area, and who gets absolutely livid at sexist bullshit, I like to think I'm very careful about and try to be better than that. But this has inspired me to post in the group and check in to make sure I'm not rubbing anyone the wrong way, so thank y'all!

In the meantime, we're currently helping some lizardfolk rid themselves of some witches that have polluted their sacred wells and magically enslaved them. I got a cool magic weapon! I'm happy to finally have a better weapon since I def. do a decent amount of fighting, but it's also not really Me. I'm a tempest cleric, and this is a +1 shortsword made of bone that adds cumulative wounds to the target (1d6+1 damage; each time it hits an enemy they take a Wound, and at the beginning of their turn they take 1d4 necrotic (I think) damage for each Wound they have.) I mean, it's good, it's an improvement over my plain old warhammer, or my magical battle axe that didn't have any bonuses except +1d8 against plant-type targets. But flavorwise it doesn't feel quite right.

Also, the blacksmith at our home base town is currently making me a special warhammer. It'll use the tail stinger from the wyvern we killed as the spike on the back for bonus poison damage, and will also incorporate my wand of the war mage into it so I get my +1 to spell attack rolls without switching stuff around (not that he's ever been a stickler for stuff like that. I don't even have it on me right now but I still get the bonus. Our paladin turned in her +1 breastplate for an armor upgrade and the DM was like "uh... here, he lends you some splint mail in the meantime" because he didn't want her AC to go down).
Old 04-16-2017, 11:49 AM
Video Monster

Right, there's a line between supporting the other party members' enjoyment and playing over them. I'm inclined to think you're not doing the latter, but it's certainly a good idea to communicate about it and make sure everyone's on the same page.

I see the "power player" thing go on a lot in cooperative board games like Pandemic, which is one reason I'm not always enthusiastic to play those.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:21 PM

Lightning Arrow is one of my favorite Ranger spells. It basically turns an arrow into a Javelin of Lightning/small Lightning Bolt spell. With Horde Breaker it can either be godlike or obviate the benefit of Horde Breaker depending on if things close to your target survive the lightning. For all I know though this could be well ahead of your level range. Hail of Thorns is great, Spike Growth can be useful, Protection from Poison won't see a ton of use with a Paladin around but can be clutch in case the Paladin goes down and saves money on Anti-Toxin vials if your party finds themselves needing those. Silence and Pass Without a Trace are great for big stealthy endeavors, though being in the Silence will prevent your Ranger from using a lot of her spells. Cure Wounds is just generally a good idea to have in case things really take a bad turn.

Ranger's got a ton of versatility and options considering it's still also a martial class, it's just hard to remember all of them.

And in my group's campaign, up until this point we've been more or less following the earliest and worst campaign book for 5th Edition, Hoard of the Dragon Queen. The DM has been doing an absolutely admirable job of filling it with interesting things and spacing out the constant need to GO NOW, NOW, FASTER, GO that the book wants. But now the DM has decided he's doing so much custom work to flesh out the path that he may as well start turning it into his own world and he just pulled a Rom on us. Baited us super hard into a Bad End kind of situation that... just wow. We had a scene after taking the bait where this music was playing in my head the whole time. Then because of certain factions and NPCs we're involved with it pulled both me and the other player way deeper into that to try and start the groundwork to prepare for what's going to happen in the future.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:27 PM
Are You Sure About That?

5e Ranger is sort of the martial equivalent of the 5e Warlock, though it's less plug-and-play than Warlock is, yeah.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:50 PM
Inherently Stealthy

5e Ranger has a few problems. The Beastmaster subclass is total trash. Most of its class features are actually found in its spell list, and are miss-able if you don't look closely at all the spells available at a level. And it's a martial class that doesn't get a bonus ASI, so if you're playing with Feats you will perform noticeably less well than anyone playing a Fighter or Rogue unless you variant human for your combat feat. (Probably Sharpshooter)
Old 04-19-2017, 12:38 PM
Crabjörn

It sounds like a lot of people here are thinking of running a game, so if 4e was on anyone's plate I once again want to recommend trying Strike RPG in its stead.

But it also looks like 5e and Pathfinder are more likely. More power to you, I suppose!
Old 04-19-2017, 02:55 PM
is Earnest

I'm leaning toward 5e because it's the one I'm most familiar with and it's easy for new players to pick up.

I started working on a map and keying in some hexes for the West Marches campaign. I also started to work on a one-shot, but I realized that it would have a different design sensibility from the hex crawl, so I think I'm gonna scrap it. So far my plan for West Marches is to give the players a mostly blank map and award XP for discovering landmarks and clearing treasure rooms in addition to combat. I'll start a thread to organize things, and all shopping, leveling up, and preparation can take place in there, and players can get inspiration for sharing info between sessions. I'll probably need a few more weeks of planning, but once everything is in place I should be able to run sessions on the fly.

And, yesterday we played a session of D&D at my place. One of our players was out of the country, but the other two decided to forge ahead a bit. The last time they had made it to a desert outpost where they cleared out some giant scorpions and a wyvern. This time they were lured out of the outpost by some telepathic messages, and a pair of Mezzoloths teleported in behind them and started knocking out their band of halflings. They had a rad fight, survived Cloudkill, and the rogue ended up with a pair of +2 shortswords and a few beads of force, and they got some hints about the BBEG. They rolled high on survival checks, so they were able to make it most of the way to the ruined city where the dragon lives. They got a lay of the land, then holed up in an old barracks. Right at the end of the session they found someone in a jail cell, and it turned out to be Hob, the guy who was on a wanted poster way back in our very first session. They never followed up on him, and he ended up traveling here to retrieve an artifact, but was captured by Kobolds. The session ended before they had a chance to talk to him much, but he will definitely have a lot of info that he's willing to trade with the party for their help.

Next session: dealing with Kobolds, some other Yugoloths who are visiting the dragon, and probably some kind of huge fight!
Old 04-19-2017, 06:21 PM
Remembers Love

Starting to put together my Half-Orc Paladin. My first big question is if I should stick with the OG Pali, or try a Oathbound Paladin with an Oath Against Savagery. On the one hand, Divine Grace is pretty incredible, and I'd be sad to lose it. On the other hand, OAS is flavorful, has an alright first tier ability, and a really good second tier ability, and some really good spells (Haste!).
Old 04-21-2017, 12:50 PM
is Earnest

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Pathfinder classes. Oath Against Savagery sounds like a cool oath though.

I spent some time watching videos and playing through tutorials on Roll 20, and this is more complex than I was expecting. I'm going to have to spend some time messing around with it before starting up a game. Also, I think I'm going to use minimalist battle maps, both because finding new ones for each battle would eat up a lot of time, and because I really dislike the art style on most of the ones I've found. I'd much rather just have a solid color and some shapes and use description to fill in what's going on. I think re-making my spreadsheet dungeon maps with their drawing tools should be pretty quick though.

Does anyone who has experience playing in Roll 20 have any advice, or can you share what your general experience with it has been?
Old 04-21-2017, 12:54 PM
Are You Sure About That?

For battle maps I'd just snag ones off Google Image search that roughly fill what you want; Roll20's drawing tools were sort of a pain in the ass I remember, but it's been a while. There are probably several (dozen) snap-to-fit or assemble-to-fit dungeon/map templates floating around outside the nicer paid ones.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:44 PM
is Earnest

Thanks for the feedback! Up until now I played one campaign with all player made maps on graph paper, and a second with a hand drawn map I made and dungeons/battles taking place on a 20x20 white grid with a dry erase marker and scrabble pieces. So it's been mostly verbal and imagination driven with just a little bit of visual guidance. I'm kind of internally rebelling against giving up that simplicity for a bunch of semi-detailed maps of varying quality. I'll spend some time sifting through what's out there to see if I can find stuff I like, or I may end up finding another way to display stuff.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:23 PM
Dinger!

I've used Roll20 a bunch, but not for games that require any detailed mapping. Mostly what I like about it are the character sheets. The drawing tools are decent, but I wouldn't want to use them for anything complicated.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:42 PM
is Earnest

I was pretty set on playing a Dragonborn named Verdigris, but today's UA Arcane Archer rework is wonderful. I'm thinking human sage with magic initiate for shocking grasp, mending, and magic armor. He'll have a bow slung across his back, but otherwise won't have any apparent armor or weapons. Then, electricity from the hands and magic arrow explosions everywhere.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:11 PM
Remembers Love

Feeling pretty saucy about the fan-fiction I wrote for my lady Half-Orc Paladin in this Curse of the Crimson Throne campaign.

I hadn’t realized I was getting pickpocketed until I heard the yelp.

I had been in Korvosa less than a day. After my months-long journey southward, I had been swallowed entirely by the city. I fancied myself used to crowds after a youth in the frigid streets of Icestair, but a long trek with only a few Shaonti braves and Varisian peddlers as mortal contact left me ill-prepared to absorb the city’s looming buildings and temples, the thoroughfares and alleyways that snake through them, and the great press of people that surge through all. Road-weary and overcome, my discipline and wariness fled me. I was reduced to wandering. To gawking. In other words, I was a mark.

I suppose my would-be thief had mistaken my richly embroidered satchell for a mere coinpurse, ignorant of the significance of the the patterns stitched into its fabric. Though they were brave indeed to target an orcish warrior in full kit - and one that loomed over the murming crowds in that square - weighed against my evident reverie, the odds were doubtlessly sore tempting. Perhaps I felt the bump of contact, that slight tug on my swordbelt. But what I remember was that arrested cry of pain.

My hand shot down and found a wrist. It was an involuntary reflex born of a life spent amongst mischievous younglings in camps and desperate orphans trying to survive in the shadow of the Crown of the World. In my iron grip, the wrist felt thin and fragile. Slowly, I lifted it, producing the offending hand to which it was attached from my satchel. In that quivering palm was my iron effigy of Nulgreth - the one even I handle gingerly in my cleansings. Rivulets of blood were beginning to trickle from where the Lord of Slaughter’s blades had sliced deeply into flesh. For a moment I was transfixed by the wrathful visage of the iron demon, the blood he so craved beginning to crawl into the seams and lines of his casting. For the first time, I turned to face the hand’s owner.

A Varisian girl, on the threshold of womanhood, but not yet across it. Violet eyes piercing a torrent of unkempt black curls, her expression a tempest of fear and defiance. Her height almost reached my chest. Ill-fitted clothes draped over a gawkish body - not wretched enough to mark her as a sneak-thief, but an outfit of convenience, rather than means. Sharp, brave, and desperate.

“Come with me.”

If my words didn’t rouse her from her shock, the sharp yank I gave her arm did. The hand finally released the fetish, dropping it, along with a few drops of blood, into the leather palm of my gauntlet, where I replaced it into its satchel as I began searching for an outlet from the square. Her first few steps were stumbling, resistant, but she soon matched my pace as I carved a path through the crowd. A few of the passersby gave us a wary looks, but I made a point to avoid the disinterested gazes of the City Watch keeping bored vigil over the roving masses. Finally, we darted into the seclusion of the darkened alley. After ensuring we weren’t followed, I turned to her again. The defiance had drained from her expression, replaced entirely with fear.

“Apothecary,” my gaze meeting hers, “chemist, healer. Where can I find one”

For a moment, confusion mixed with the fear. Hesitantly, she raised her uninjured hand and pointed to the other end of the alley, then suddenly reached for the hand that grasper hers. Surprised, I released my grip, and the bloody member darted under her tunic. Her hand slipped into mine, and pulled. We were off.

Through the darkness of the alley, we emerged once more into daylight. She plunged into the crowd, darting through it like a harrier, dragging an iron-clad oaf behind her. For blocks we ducked and wove, until finally we arrived under a weather-worn shingle of a morter and pestle amidst a quiet boulevard. A red door flanked by arched lead windows stood beneath the sign. I looked to her, and she nodded hesitantly. I placed my hand on the door’s wrought-iron handle and pulled it open.

The walls of the apothecary's shop were lined with plants and herbs. I was surprised to recognize a few from the High Steppes and scrublands, as well as a few exotic species from the glass gardens of Icestair, brought over from distant Tian Xia. But most were unknown to me - desert blooms and southron flowerings tended by alchelmical lamps. A wisened gnome was busy on a step-ladder, grimacing as he examined the orange flower of a potted succulent through an eyepiece, a young female half-elf assistant checking off jars behind the counter with a slab and piece of chalk. Both turned to meet the sound of the door opening.

After a long moment, the gnome placed the eyepiece in his vest pocket and carefully trundled his way down the stepladder. Taking a few steps toward us, he bowed his head, before looking up and locking eyes with me.

“We’re near to closing for the day,” he said carefully, squinting, “I trust this is either none too urgent, or very urgent.”

I turned to the girl. She met my gaze for a moment, then produced the lacerated hand from under her tunic, well-reddened with the still-oozing blood.

The gnome made a thoughtful expressions, reproduced the eyepiece from his vest and stepped forward to take the hand in his. He was smaller still than the Varisian urchin, her outstretched hand reaching up to his wrinkled eyes.

“Ah, I see,” he said, placing the eyepiece in his vest pocket once more, “we can have this fixed up in no time at all. Assuming,” he said, turning to me expectantly, “you have the coin to pay for my services?”

I produced my coinpurse - my actual coinpurse - ladened with only the stipend from the grateful Varisian caravaneers I had saved in the hinterlands. From it I drew an oblong gold coin. For a moment the apothecary appeared pensive, then smiled and nodded.

“Yes, that will do, I suppose. Come dear,” he said, taking the girl by the arm and leading her towards a table in the shop’s corner. “Les, my dear,” turning to the half-elf assistant, who had been silent behind the counter to this point, “if you’ll start the brazier, and grab an ounce of the Hollyander we got in last week. This one needs her hands, right?” he said, winking at the girl.

The surgery took less than half an hour. The girl flinched at the first few stitches, then relaxed as the apothecary went about his work The assistant hurried about the shop, pulling leaves from plants and pinches of dried herbs to grind in a stone mortar. The gnome mumbled quiet incantations in some fey tongue as he pulled the thread across the wound and applied the poultice. From my perch on a bench in the corner, I doubted his attentions were entirely temporal.

His work done, the gnome wiped his hand hands off a final time and began to roll down his sleaves.

“You were lucky this time, lamm,” looking to girl on the table as she tried flexing her bandaged hand. “Woundwards are rare in these parts, and sticking your hands in scary people’s pockets is liable to get you much worse than a few cuts and a chance of Numbnerve. I’d stick to easier marks, eh?”
The girl flinched at the chastisement. Slowly she stepped down from the table.

Suddenly, with a soft pattering of thin shoes, her arms were wrapped around my torso. She looked up at me for a moment, her hair parting to reveal her violet eyes, the fear and defiance drained away.

“My name’s Jilia,” she mumbled as those eyes darted away again. “Th-thank you.”

The door flew open and she was gone into the falling night.

I didn’t find out til later that night that she had lifted my coinpurse.

Part II coming soon.

Last edited by Peach; 05-01-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:32 AM
Safe Space

Great read, Peach.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:07 AM
We just don't know.

Did arcane archer always get a flat +1 magical bow at all times? :O :O :O That DOES continue to look awesome, though. Still going with the "why does ranger even exist" thing, I see. This seems like a much more fun way to play an archer, but so does a rogue tbh.

Anyway, we hit level 8! :3

I'm agonizing over my Ability Points here. I have both STR and CON at 17, and really want to push both of them to 18 for the bonuses. STR because I just got my extra damage on attacks and finally have a +1 weapon, and want to hit my attacks more. And con for more hp and saves, obviously!

But there are feats I want to take too! Like, I could take resilient Con for HP and mad Save bonus. Or heavy armor master. That gets me +1 STR, and -3 damage per physical attack. It's not a lot, but I do kinda get hit a lot as a tank-ish, and looking back on the last few adventures I've done, even at the level we've been playing at it would've added up to a lot of saved damage. I dunno if it'll trail off soon, or what. There's probably another +1 STR feat I can take in its place, I guess.

But to get both of those I'd have to, like, PICK! Which means I'll only have one of those bonuses up for the next 4 levels. And more importantly, it puts off other advancements. My Wisdom is still at 18, and I'll definitely need/want to take another level to put 2 points in there to hit +5 for my casting.

My gut says just take the STR and CON together and get both bonuses, and feats can take a flying leap. But... options! So many delicious options!
Old 05-02-2017, 09:33 AM
is Earnest

The +1 arrows is new (and stacks with magic bows, if your DM gives you one). They also changed the arcane shots so that you decide to use them after an arrow hits, whereas before you had to decide to use it before you fired and could easily waste your shots. They also tied save DCs to INT, so the new version needs to account for an extra stat, which is a good trade off. I don't think any other builds need DEX/INT, so it's kind of a cool mix. It's probably on the strong side now, but before it was way too weak. I feel like it has a way better mix of martial and magical abilities than either the Eldritch Knight or the Swordsinger.

For the cleric, I'd go with increasing STR and CON. +1 attack, +1 damage, +1 HP/lvl and +1 to concentration saves (plus athletics checks and strength saves) is a lot to get all at once. If you're doing a lot of attacking and tanking, it seems like it covers everything you could want.

Heavy Armor Master is mostly useful at low levels, so by level 8 it's only going to get worse with each level since enemy attacks will keep getting bigger. Plus it doesn't work against magic and you're giving up HP and better concentration saves to get it.

Resilient is really nice, and you can even out a stat. You leave Strength at an odd number though. Consider how often you attack vs. how often you fail concentration saves. I can't argue against taking this, but I like STR/CON more.

Definitely go for Wisdom next, regardless. +4 is good, but you'll want to get up to +5 by the time you're getting up into the teens (if your campaign keeps going that far).
Old 05-02-2017, 11:47 AM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The +1 arrows is new (and stacks with magic bows, if your DM gives you one). They also changed the arcane shots so that you decide to use them after an arrow hits, whereas before you had to decide to use it before you fired and could easily waste your shots. They also tied save DCs to INT, so the new version needs to account for an extra stat, which is a good trade off. I don't think any other builds need DEX/INT, so it's kind of a cool mix. It's probably on the strong side now, but before it was way too weak. I feel like it has a way better mix of martial and magical abilities than either the Eldritch Knight or the Swordsinger.
Arcane Trickster if they care about save DCs (which they may not) or spell attacks (which they may not).

The new arcane archer is very strong... at levels 3-6 because they get that +1 arrow feature very early. After that having unlimited +1 arrows is pretty decent but not game breaking. Arcane shot is cool but simply by being limited to 2/short rest makes me think it's not a big deal as far as power. Though it's very campaign dependent most short rest features either give you significantly more uses (ki points) or are more powerful (warlock spells). I would like it a lot more if the 18th level boot increased the non-damage part of the arrows instead of just piling two more more dice.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:07 PM
is Earnest

It's on a fighter, which is one of the more powerful base classes to start with. Like, you're going to end up with four attacks and seven ASIs plus Action Surge and the Archery fighting style, so they can't go too crazy with subclass stuff. Battlemasters have four superiority dice per short rest, but that's their entire subclass. The tool and ability to size up enemies are basically ribbons. Arcane Archers have half as many uses of their special ability, but the abilities are stronger, and they get always on magic ammo and the ability to redirect shots. Overall it's a really competitive choice.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:15 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
It's on a fighter, which is one of the more powerful base classes to start with. Like, you're going to end up with four attacks and seven ASIs plus Action Surge and the Archery fighting style, so they can't go too crazy with subclass stuff. Battlemasters have four superiority dice per short rest, but that's their entire subclass. The tool and ability to size up enemies are basically ribbons. Arcane Archers have half as many uses of their special ability, but the abilities are stronger, and they get always on magic ammo and the ability to redirect shots. Overall it's a really competitive choice.
Sure, but it's competing against the Archery Battlemaster with Sharpshooter and Precision Attack, which basically does +10 damage/attack with no drawbacks. Some of the Arcane Shot options are nice, but they apply only once/turn; the Archery Battlemaster benefits every single attack. And the Arcane Shot options are still weaker than what a spellcaster brings to the table.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:29 PM
is Earnest

I don't think I follow. The Arcane Archer can take Sharpshooter too, it's just a feat. precision attack is a maneuver, so it's limited by short rests. What is the Battlemaster doing every turn that the Arcane Archer can't?

Regarding spells, you are comparing a the main ability of a class with one subclass ability. They damn well better be more powerful.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:40 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
I don't think I follow. The Arcane Archer can take Sharpshooter too, it's just a feat. precision attack is a maneuver, so it's limited by short rests. What is the Battlemaster doing every turn that the Arcane Archer can't?
Precision Attack is a maneuver that adds +4 (EDIT: yes, I know it's +1d8; but you can approximate as +4 in play) to your attack roll that you can choose to expend after you see your roll but before you learn its effect. If you've a reasonable memory, you can tell reliably whether or not you need that to hit, and whether or not expending it will likely help you hit. This basically erases the disadvantage of Sharpshooter, converting it into +10 damage all the time.

The Arcane Archer equivalent, Seeking Arrow, doesn't involve an attack roll and so is incompatible with Sharpshooter.

But! It gets better! Since the Battlemaster doesn't have to make any decisions at all until the dice hit the table, they can also opt to expend one of their dice for more damage and an effect if they get a particularly good roll... Or just expend it for even more damage on a crit.

I don't think the Arcane Archer's bad, but the Battlemaster is still so good.

Last edited by Egarwaen; 05-02-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:03 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
I don't think the Arcane Archer's bad, but the Battlemaster is still so good.
Exactly.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:23 PM
is Earnest

I think your initial description of Battlemaster benefiting every single attack was off, though I see what you mean and you should be able to stretch those superiority die out a lot. WOTC is clearly trying to avoid repeating that kind of synergy here, because most classes don't have anything like that. Even so, I think Arcane Archer is still a bit op at level 3 when most characters won't have magic weapons yet, and it remains one of the more competitive choices later on. Curved Shot plus the magic arrow stacking with magic weapons adds a lot to the fighter main class features, even before you add in the special abilities.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:40 PM
TARANTUL

Realistically the problem isn't either of the builds, in the abstract +1 to hit most of the time vs. +4 to hit up to 4 times / rest should be pretty well balanced against each other for a fighter who makes a lot of attacks.

The problem is sharpshooter / great weapon master and the very flat AC curve in 5E and the fact that they're actually fixing the problem of fighting types being uncompetitive without them.

I'm starting to think I'd just houserule that you add proficiency to weapon damage and dropping those two feats power attack options if I run 5E (in addition to giving everyone proficiency with every save).
Old 05-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
I think your initial description of Battlemaster benefiting every single attack was off, though I see what you mean and you should be able to stretch those superiority die out a lot. WOTC is clearly trying to avoid repeating that kind of synergy here, because most classes don't have anything like that. Even so, I think Arcane Archer is still a bit op at level 3 when most characters won't have magic weapons yet, and it remains one of the more competitive choices later on. Curved Shot plus the magic arrow stacking with magic weapons adds a lot to the fighter main class features, even before you add in the special abilities.
Battlemaster - especially Archery Battlemaster - is able to benefit from Sharpshooter / Great Weapon on every attack because its drawback functionally does not exist for them. Arcane Archer can benefit from its special attacks at most once per round, and cannot benefit from Sharpshooter at all on some of its special attacks. By the time the Battlemaster has run through their dice, everyone else with short rest resources is also going to be out and a lot of long rest resource classes are going to be feeling a squeeze.

It's also worth noting that Fighter is still a weak class overall, with no special narrative influence and no combat contributions other than 'do damage', and their damage isn't even notably above a damage-focused caster, to say nothing of a Paladin. "Gets a magic weapon without GM fiat or lucky rolls on the treasure tables" should be the baseline for them, especially with the number of monsters that halve or outright ignore mundane weapon damage.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:54 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
I'm starting to think I'd just houserule that you add proficiency to weapon damage and dropping those two feats power attack options if I run 5E (in addition to giving everyone proficiency with every save).
I'd make Proficiency to weapon damage a Fighter feature.

As for saves, I haven't dug into the math, but abstractly half proficiency to all rolls seems to paper over a lot of the worst flaws...
Old 05-02-2017, 04:08 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
It's also worth noting that Fighter is still a weak class overall, with no special narrative influence and no combat contributions other than 'do damage', and their damage isn't even notably above a damage-focused caster, to say nothing of a Paladin. "Gets a magic weapon without GM fiat or lucky rolls on the treasure tables" should be the baseline for them, especially with the number of monsters that halve or outright ignore mundane weapon damage.
Arcane Archer specifically addresses the magic weapon issue and the ability to effect battles beyond just doing damage. Plus the focus on INT means they will be able to use knowledge and investigation checks (though those are DM dependent to a large degree).

Also, just to clarify, when I said that the fighter's main class abilities were powerful I meant as a part of their overall power. Adding 1/3 casting or an extra d8 damage here and there is a relatively small bonus compared to all the extra attacks, ASIs, Action surges, etc. New subclasses should be relatively similar in power to existing ones, so Arcane Archer is kind of restrained by that.

How classes compare to each other is a whole different discussion, especially once you start factoring in DM styles, campaign focuses, etc. The highest my parties have gotten is level 6, so I can't comment on high level stuff. Low level Monks and Rogues seem to hold their own pretty well.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:16 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Default The DM's Dilemma

From ReD&Dit:

Old 05-03-2017, 11:48 AM
and ermine, too

Every time I see jokes like this, I still feel this driving need to sit everyone down together and help them.

Push the dude in the crown off the table because obviously no one gives a shit about him. Put "random NPC's" cooking pot in peril instead.

Tags
concentration , dungeons and dragons , edition wars , gith racism , penalty for being bard , tasha's hideous slaughter