The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 11-11-2018, 08:01 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Finished off The Sky is Yours, and, on the whole, really enjoyed it for its setting and writing, but the characters, by design, all suuuuuuucked. Well, nearly all. A couple were fine, and just brought into terrible situations by merit of associating with presumed main character Duncan; a guy who is best described as "What if Peter Griffin was also Billy Madison?".

He is so uniformly awful that he needs literal divine intervention in order to back pedal when he considers abandoning his one single redemptive act, and even his other actions that could conceivably be considered noble are entirely for selfish reasons. He's weirdly compelling, in the same way a train-wreck is.

The setting itself, however, is inspired. Mainly, it's inspired by Judge Dredd, Robocop, Escape from New York and (of all things) Reign of Fire. It's set in the early stages of a post-apocalyptic dystopia (that, apparently, only affects the one city, and which few people even consider leaving, because they are either very poor and can't afford to live elsewhere, or are very rich and don't want to abandon their palatial estates to The Poors), and its a post-apocalypse brought on by the fact that there are dragons and they hate everyone.

Honestly, up until the end when things start getting supernatural (well, not counting the dragons) and when the narrative shifts around and makes Duncan out to be noble for his tiny babysteps towards humility, I really enjoyed it.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:08 AM

It's about to get nerdy in here. How the Internet Happened by Brian McCullough
Old 11-11-2018, 08:29 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterthes View Post
It's about to get nerdy in here.
Too late. This is already a videogame forum.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

I read a book! It's pretty depressing that this is notable.

Anyway, the book was A Monster Calls, and I read it because my girlfriend handed it to me and said it was good, and also it's short enough to blow through in an evening. And it was quite good, and I cried. Apparently it's also a movie from a couple years ago with Liam Neeson voicing the monster? Might check that out sometime, though it's hard to imagine it being as affecting as the book.

It also reminded me a lot of a graphic novel I read once, which I looked up on my bookshelf, and yup... I Kill Giants hits a *lot* of the same plot beats and themes, though of course the execution is completely different. I'm assuming it's just a case of convergent evolution, as the experiences both are drawing from aren't all that rare.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:17 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

I'm not gonna lie I cried at that movie
Old 11-12-2018, 08:18 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I think it'll become my go-to recommendation for "Good Steampunk."
Innnnnnnteresting.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:21 AM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Mostly because it doesn't read like steampunk at all. There's not a gear in sight!
Old 11-13-2018, 02:05 PM

Cozying up to Neal Gabler's biography on Walt Disney
Old 11-13-2018, 02:12 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Started rereading Guards! Guards!

Which, for one thing, is one of the higher points of Early Discworld. For a second thing, it’s also kind of jarring to read when you’re more familiar with the later Watch books. It also offers a completely different explanation for Vimes’ alcoholism that is never elaborated on than the rest of the series uses. But which may also be metaphorical and, if so, “well, okay then”.

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book