The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-23-2017, 10:50 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Also, keep JR in your prayers today, as his wife tragically passed away yesterday afternoon after sustaining multiple skull fractures in an automobile / vespa accident a short while ago.

(She wasn't wearing a helmet, which... fuck.)

Last edited by Sven; 03-23-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:25 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Also, keep JR in your prayers today, as his wife tragically passed away after sustaining multiple skull fractures in an automobile / vespa accident a short while ago.

(She wasn't wearing a helmet, which... fuck.)
Oh Jesus, I didn't know it was crash.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't think a Vespa "counts" for helmet purposes, because it's so small. So you get tragedies like this.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:16 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Yeah, she was struck from behind by a Toyota. Sounds like it was serious enough (both cars caught on fire) that she would've been badly injured anyway, but...

That's one area where I don't have a blind spot. Benefits of my practice being 99% auto accidents is that I've been able to tell people "I'm paying you hundreds of thousands of dollars today - rather than your wife or kids - because you were wearing a helmet when you were struck."
Old 03-25-2017, 05:05 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Oh Jesus, I didn't know it was crash.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't think a Vespa "counts" for helmet purposes, because it's so small. So you get tragedies like this.
I can't even fathom this logic. People wear helmets for skateboards and roller blades, for crying out loud.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:45 PM
concern troll

So, like ... why the hell does Triple H use an Iron Cross in his logos? I'm watching him in 2002 and at this time it's pretty much JUST an Iron Cross with an H in the middle of it.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:38 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
So, like ... why the hell does Triple H use an Iron Cross in his logos? I'm watching him in 2002 and at this time it's pretty much JUST an Iron Cross with an H in the middle of it.
Motörhead.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:23 AM
..and his little cat, too

And Conan, maybe?

I forget if Conan ever used it, but Hunter's clearly into that, and I know He-Man took some inspiration from that stuff and used it, so I'm just connecting dots here.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:50 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Motörhead.
I recall Lemmy mentioning that he didn't really understand what was going on when they hired him to play HHH out live at Wrestlemania, but what the hell, it was a gig.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:54 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
I recall Lemmy mentioning that he didn't really understand what was going on when they hired him to play HHH out live at Wrestlemania, but what the hell, it was a gig.
It was VERY clear from his performance at WMX7.

At least by WM22 he seemed to have remembered the words to... you know... his own song.

(Along those same lines, Our Lady Peace retired "Whatever" from their playlist in 2007, in spite of it being one of their better songs, for obvious reasons.)

Quote:
I forget if Conan ever used it, but Hunter's clearly into that,
And, hey, it led to Lawler namedropping Frank Frazetta of all people prior to the Bryan match.

Oh, and to complete the circle of tragedy related to Jan Ross: the kid who hit her was texting and driving.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:47 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

We last left MLG after one of the best cards in its history, with Ricky Steamboat being screwed by Mr. Fuji, King Kong Bundy teaming with Big John Studd to injure Andre, and the Macho Man was the most over babyface in the building. Oh and SO MANY HILLBILLIES.

Gorilla calls this the hottest ticket in town, but given that the Jays less than two weeks away from clinching the AL East for the first time that kinda was a giant lie. Jesse's on colour until the final two matches, for reasons that become clear as this goes on.

Apparently another crew ran through on September 1, 1985 for a show that didn't make it to tape but did feature another Steamboat / Muraco match and the Harts vs the Bulldogs, so it's probably better than this show.

- Scott McGhee isn't Tom McGee. Rene Goulet isn't Robert Goulet. This match blows, McGhee wins with a weird not-quite-a-sunset-flip.

- Dino Bravo already looks bigger than the prior show, and wins over another jobber with the suplex combo.

- Bundy doesn't have Heenan with him here, but Swede Hansen endears himself to Canada by wearing a Rebel Flag T-shirt. Since no one cares, Bundy gets some cheers when he wins quickly with a hella impressive elbow for a big guy.

- The Killer Bees vs. Tiger Chung Lee and IRON. MIKE. SHAAAAAARPE! Listen, if you ever want to identify someone who grew up in 80s Toronto, just drop Sharpe's name and see if they go banana. Bees win with the usually great Brunzell dropkick.

- Steamboat and Muraco blow their feud off with a lumberjack match that... I don't know, doesn't really work? Steamboat doesn't need this type of crutch, and Muraco's good. It's on Steamboat's DVD, I think, and therefore he wins by running Muraco into future running buddy Orton.

(Wait, no, the blowoff was apparently the martial arts match in early 86)

- LUKE IS ANGRY! It's Barry O! He loses to a SWEET Haku superkick and academic big splash. Young Haku was a hell of a worker, actually.

- The Dream Team has to deal with the Hillbillies, and do so by lifting the Hart Attack. Given that the clothesline was one of the two moves Beefcake could do properly around this time, that's not a bad idea.

- Billy Red Lyons comes on commentary here as Jesse has other business to tend to. Hmm....

- Bob Orton goes over Leaping Lanny Poffo after he blocks the moonsault and gives him the Horowitz three-quarter nelson. Then he probably went out drinking with his brother and left young Randy sucking on a bottle in the back.

- And we find out what Jesse is up to, as this is the era where he came out of retirement to teach Chico Santana a lesson. They have a pretty fun brawl. Jesse was, of course, kinda keeping Tito warm for the Savage feud that would kick off early in 1986, even going so far as to team with Savage a few times.

So, really, nothing of note like last time. However, next time... Savage's heat was established enough that they decided to run Savage vs. Hogan. Plus the Dream Team gets a SLIGHT upgrade in competition in the form of the Bulldogs.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:53 PM
Oily Butt Thing

I believe Bret gave Iron Mike Sharpe a shout-out in his book as the single stiffest dude he ever worked with across his entire career. Which is something considering how many years he spent letting Dynamite beat the shit out of him.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:09 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

You know it's Wrestlemania week in Toronto when Kurt Angle gets a feature spread in the Post.

(There's a lot of stuff that can be nitpicked, like Angle curiously leaving out that a big part of the reason he left WWE is that he refused to check into rehab.)
Old 03-31-2017, 06:38 AM
That bug is NUTS!

I'm sorry to self-promote, but I thought the rasslin corner of TT might enjoy this episode of my podcast where we watched the Shockmaster's intro video on loop until we couldn't stand it anymore.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:50 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

The payoff was always going to be Miz-as-Bryan.

And Cena's rebuttal was pretty choice. How the fuck they got this over I'll have no idea, but even with the oft-goofy WM crowd that should be fun.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:26 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Here's Flair's statue being unveiled yesterday.

(No mentioned that it looks more like Kerry Von Erich than him, but, hey, better than the Ronaldo bust)

And a good ESPN article on Nakamura talking mainly about his entrance music.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:04 PM

DDP's acceptance speech at the Hall of Fame ceremony was very, very good! He's a swell guy.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:16 AM

Actually, the entire HoF ceremony was quite good!
Old 04-01-2017, 03:33 PM
concern troll

There's reports that Mauro Ranallo has been absent because he's battling a bad turn of depression/bipolar disorder (which he's been open about suffering from) and scuttlebutt that it may have been triggered or exacerbated by tensions with JBL.

In short, fuck JBL.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:59 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Bas Rutten has indicated he would be happy to kick JBL's ass, potentiating another golden age for shoot style
Old 04-01-2017, 06:10 PM
Oily Butt Thing

I forget, who is it that Bradshaw is in with such that he has a permanent gig in the WWE front office? Matthew Randazzo used to say that you pretty much couldn't grasp the level of hatred toward him from most of the locker room.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:29 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
I forget, who is it that Bradshaw is in with such that he has a permanent gig in the WWE front office? Matthew Randazzo used to say that you pretty much couldn't grasp the level of hatred toward him from most of the locker room.
I thought it was just that the old man liked him. He was one if his "Big Guys" who stuck around even after smaller dudes who could actually work took the spotlight.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:32 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
Actually, the entire HoF ceremony was quite good!
Angle's speech was REALLY weird, but other than that yes.

Got the Network up and running, Tommy Ende making his entrance now with lots of shouty angry baby music.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:39 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Got the Network up and running, Tommy Ende making his entrance now with lots of shouty angry baby music.
It made me really appreciate the trend of no vocal entrance themes we've had going on for a while now.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:04 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
It made me really appreciate the trend of no vocal entrance themes we've had going on for a while now.
They should have just given him Punk's theme rather than paying for a new angsty Muppet singer.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:25 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Aw, they gave the fans hope that it'd be DIY v Revival and then ripped their hearts out. Really clever booking.

Ember v Asuka headed to the ring now. The new title should show up.

(I *think* that's the new belt? If so, it's curiously dark....)
Old 04-01-2017, 07:28 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Aw, they gave the fans hope that it'd be DIY v Revival and then ripped their hearts out. Really clever booking.
In an exposed business the way to get real heat is to piss off the smarks but good
Old 04-01-2017, 07:31 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

'Tis why I nearly had that Bayley / Eva Marie match from last year on my MOTY ballot.

(Plus, this is always going to be a weird crowd. Steer into the skid and all that.)
Old 04-01-2017, 07:46 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Asuka... wins? Huh.

USGamer shows up in the FFXIV commercial, heh.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:49 PM
concern troll

The new women's belt doesn't have pink on it and we're all better off for it.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:52 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

They've done some retroactive editing of the San Antonio match - the story now is that Roode got the win right after Shinsuke hurt his knee, apparently.

Drew Galloway at ringside. Was expecting that, actually.

Nakamura... just walks out? On the other hand, Roode gets two female - of course - piano players*. And then a turntable. A PIMP black and white robe, too.

I just realised that they're using the Smackdown set, too.

(Roode big show entrance rankings: 1 - Toronto. 2 - Brooklyn 3 - This one 4 - San Antonio (although I appreciate the specific reference he made with that one))

* - As F4Wonline pointed out - neither one was Reby Hardy.

Nigel reminds me that I still haven't seen that TJP / Nakamura match.

You know what's funny? The official name for this show is NXT Takeover: Orlando. BUT THAT DOESN'T EXACTLY NARROW IT DOWN.

Last edited by Sven; 04-01-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Tags
firebreaker chip , ice train , it's still real to me , lazertron