The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-08-2016, 08:16 AM
Oily Butt Thing

if it helps at all, the last time it was in any way morally defensible to enjoy pro wrestling was pretty much never.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:03 AM
New Video World is out!

THEN
NOW
FOREVER
Old 12-08-2016, 09:42 AM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
if it helps at all, the last time it was in any way morally defensible to enjoy pro wrestling was pretty much never.
To be slightly fair, at least Linda is a legit business woman. Having any qualifications for her role makes her better than almost all his other picks

Still hate that WWE brass gave so much money to help Trump get elected.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:44 AM
That bug is NUTS!

I think if I can get over 1up.com being owned by News Corp I can get over Linda McMahon being given a minor cabinet position in the Trump administration.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:02 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

The WWE / Trump relationship stretches back at least to 1988, if not before that.

Notably, they've shut the fuck up this entire year vis a vis the election, so they actually played this pretty smart.

(And, frankly, their dalliances with politics have led to the product being toned down and safer overall. If anything, it's been a net positive.)

Now, as for the ludicrous bios that have been pushed for Linda over the past 24 hours ("co-founded" the WWF? Tha hell? Being anything more than a figurehead CEO because the heat was on Vince after the steroid scandal broke?)... well, that's just the media being idiots, as usual.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:25 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Now, as for the ludicrous bios that have been pushed for Linda over the past 24 hours ("co-founded" the WWF? Tha hell? Being anything more than a figurehead CEO because the heat was on Vince after the steroid scandal broke?)... well, that's just the media being idiots, as usual.
To be fair, the only reporter who has the history and the perspective to cut through the fifteen layers of carny bullshit around WWE history is Herb, and God's pity on any journo who tries to hold a conversation with Herb.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:39 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

The media did some decent - not great, but decent - digging during the two senate campaigns. But that was more digging up the Trish "bark like a dog" angle and the like - EG, imputing Vince's insanity in actually managing the company onto Linda's figurehead position. Linda *herself* is pretty clean, other than her judgment being questionable for running two no-hope Senate campaigns.

(Whether any of those stories were fuelled by long-distance calls from Hartford to San Jose, we cannot say for certain).
Old 12-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Linda *herself* is pretty clean, other than her judgment being questionable for running two no-hope Senate campaigns.
And for all that those were a staggering waste of money, it was still pocket change relative to the family fortune.

of course a lot of folks have pointed out the irony of a McMahon bossing an agency dedicated to small business when the company rose to its current position on the back of destroying smaller competitors and absorbing them into a monopoly...
Old 12-08-2016, 04:40 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
And for all that those were a staggering waste of money, it was still pocket change relative to the family fortune.

of course a lot of folks have pointed out the irony of a McMahon bossing an agency dedicated to small business when the company rose to its current position on the back of destroying smaller competitors and absorbing them into a monopoly...
The SBA does most of its mojo through tax cuts and lowest-bidder contracts. She'll be in hog heaven.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:21 AM
Oily Butt Thing

hey neat: New Japan World has put a bunch of their big January 4 dome shows up for free and you can watch them. Kendall Shields on twitter especially recommends Nakamura versus Sakuraba, and I do too; I dig the story of how Nakamura has the advantage when he can land his pro style power moves while Saku effortlessly dominates on the mat. also there is sweet Pancrase-style palm-whacking.

it's even cooler if you're familiar with Saku's MMA career because he does a bunch of throwback spots, like the kicks to the leg when Nakamura's on his back and the leaping stomp from the Royce Gracie bout.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:30 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

*ahem* NJPW themselves aren't shy about getting that match out there:

I'd also go for the Takada / Mutoh match from 1996 for a similar theme, although in that case it's tempered by NJPW reminding you that as much as they're badmouthing WWE recently, they also threw away MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF DOLLARS by not allowing an outsider to get a win (well, later in that particular storyline when Mutoh went over Takada clean as a sheet - the result in the Jan 4th show was... interesting).

(See also: Kawada's participation in the IWGP championship tourney in 2001. He had a real good match with Tenzan before the inexplicable final with Sasaki, though.)
Old 12-20-2016, 11:57 AM
Oily Butt Thing

The NJPW/UWFI match I really wanted to watch last night was Sakuraba versus Shinjiro Otani, from back in the days when Saku's joints worked, but nowhere on the internet can you find Skydiving J anymore. Boo.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:00 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
The NJPW/UWFI match I really wanted to watch last night was Sakuraba versus Shinjiro Otani, from back in the days when Saku's joints worked, but nowhere on the internet can you find Skydiving J anymore. Boo.
Is that the one where Othani gets a pop merely for executing an irish whip?

Fun find:

Herc: Hey, Scott, we need a finish.
Scott: Well, whaddabout that move you used to do with Roma?
Herc: The powerplex? Sure, but how are you going to do the splash?
Scott: Don't worry about a thing.

Last edited by Sven; 12-20-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:18 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Oh, and here's TOTAL NONSTOP DELETION for those who missed it (cuts out the women's match, sadly - not for the match, but for ODB motorboarding Vanguard 1)

(The bit with the Helms Dynasty guy trying to do the 3 Count dance, failing, and then breaking into the Alex Wright dance will be funny when I'm 90)
Old 12-21-2016, 11:54 AM
Oily Butt Thing

crossposted from of all places the Overwatch thread: the Crush Gals versus the Jumping Bomb Angels from TAG LEAGUE THE BEST 1987, aka the Bomber Jacket Match.

things I like about this match:

- totally insane moves by 1987 standards; in fact if it has a flaw it's that they run way too fast through all the crazy double-teams.

- teenage girls in the crowd are going out of their fucking minds.

- Lioness Asuka's bomber jacket has a patch on the front styled after an old-fashioned atomic energy symbol, except the nucleus of the atom is a skull with a knife in its teeth.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:09 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

About 2/3s of the way through they start trading bridges and it's amazing. I'm not up on my AJW booking but I assume JBA were faces here, and I love how both teams get to play low-key Ricky Morton.

I assume that when Asuka née Kana changed her name she saw the Crush Gals' faces in the sky above the horizon, beautiful and terrible as the dawn
Old 12-21-2016, 12:10 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Yeah I'm not totally sure how face/heel dynamics worked in AJW after the Gokuaku Doumei angle ran its course. Another reason somebody should write a book about that era.

When you get into GAEA in the '90s there's an interesting mix where some feuds are definitely face/heel and others (like Aja Kong/Meiko Satomura) are purely personal and don't really have a hero or a villain.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

On one of my recent google dives I came across a pictorial of Dump hanging out with Lioness Asuka. Dump is a kindly looking granny now, or so she wants us to believe.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:16 PM
Oily Butt Thing

among the like two or three items of fanboy shit I used to have that I still want to have is a copy of a Japanese tattoo magazine that I randomly bought at Book Off in Los Angeles years ago. it turned out to contain a writeup on Chigusa Nagayo circa the later days of GAEA, who on one shoulder had a representation of the promotion's eponymous earth goddess, and on the other shoulder an image of a wrestling ring with the word CRUSH over it.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:46 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Gokuaku Doumei
Pictured below

Old 12-21-2016, 12:47 PM
Oily Butt Thing

asked to describe them once, I says, "punk rocker lunchladies for Satan."
Old 12-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

I'm sad that so few will know these joys
Old 12-22-2016, 09:03 PM
Oily Butt Thing

it occurs to me that the board could use some representative Dump. Scope the entrance here, from 1987:

this is actually after the breakup of the Gokuaku Doumei, with Dump pitted against her former protege Bull Nakano, and holy shit the schoolgirls are STOKED to see Bull start wailing on Dump with nunchucks.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:11 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

That announce table is fuckin SHOOK by the Dump Army
Old 12-23-2016, 11:58 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

1. Condor Saito is bordering on attractive in that clip. The heck? Is it just that she's upgraded by the other four women being, well... you know?

2. All I remember about her is that she was basically the Monica Seles of Joshi.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:17 AM
New Video World is out!

Okay so tell me if I have this right.

- Roman Reigns can't beat Kevin Owens because of Chris Jericho's continued interference

- Mick Foley adds the "Jericho in a shark cage" stipulation to the Reigns/Owens Rumble match, in order to prevent Jericho's interference.

- On Raw, Roman Reigns beats Kevin Owens anyway despite Jericho's interference.

Without wanting to sound like every jaded WWE fan, what the fuck is this booking?
Old 12-28-2016, 05:53 AM
kill

Terrible, is what that booking is. I wouldn't mind if they just put that belt on Jericho for now, instead of the midcard shlubs it has been on.

They need to build Strowman up for it and let Big E break off and build him as a singles monster.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:47 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I *highly* recommend Smackdown from last night. About as good a two hour wrestling show as you're gonna see.

Even if I'm still pissed that it took Dean a full week to beat the shit out of Miz. Jake Roberts is your idol, man!
Old 12-28-2016, 11:21 AM
Entourage of Her Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
- Mick Foley adds the "Jericho in a shark cage" stipulation to the Reigns/Owens Rumble match, in order to promote a toy.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:30 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Without wanting to sound like every jaded WWE fan, what the fuck is this booking?
The reason NXT/NJPW/ROH are all seeing an American renaissance.

Tags
firebreaker chip , ice train , it's still real to me , lazertron