The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-23-2017, 03:12 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Default China Goes Rambo: Wolf Warrior 2

The Chinese box office is getting torn up by an action movie called Wolf Warrior 2. It's about a former PLA special forces soldier stopping mayhem and saving Chinese hostages in an unnamed African country terrorized by an American mercenary. There's supposed to be a lot of high quality martial arts, stunts and vehicle choreography and a small amount of low quality CGI. The movie doesn't portray the US government as hostile, but as incompetent and indifferent. This movie is supposed to be patriotic to the point of jingoism and was made with the full support of the PLA Navy, similar to how Top Gun was made with the support of the US Navy. The portrayal of Africa is supposed to be full of stereotypes. Supposedly, there are many other government approved patriotic Chinese movies that haven't done as well as this one because the production values weren't as good as western movies, including the original Wolf Warrior.

I heard about this movie through a podcast about China-Africa relations. I haven't seen it yet because, regrettably but understandably, few US theaters are showing it. I found a torrent that seemed to be fake. I'll catch it when it's on a streaming service. Boxofficemojo currently shows that it made $774M this year, making it the 74th highest earning movie of all time not adjusted for inflation, and nearly all of that earning comes from the Chinese market. That must be terrible news for Hollywood studios hoping to earn more there. Reading about this movie made me find out about some other recent big earners in China like The Mermaid, Journey to the West and Mojin: The Lost Legend. Have you guys seen any of these? Have you been able to see Wolf Warrior 2?

Last edited by Vega; 08-23-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:19 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

pt1 was on netflix

It's a very nationalistic action movie, just from Modern China

The villian in pt1 was a mercenary played by Scott Adkins. He taunted the titular hero about fighting for something as intangible as nationalistic pride and that money and self advancement was much better.

It ended with a rather frightening declaration by the general type. Can't find online, so this is from memory:

"Look at this land. Have you ever seen such beauty? But every beautiful place has it's tales. I feel bad for those who choose to stand in CHina's way."

Something like that.

The whole thing is rather fascinating!

Journey to teh West, if you mean the Stephen Chow one from a few years back, is fab. The 2 Monkey King movies (pt1 with Donnie Yen) are OK.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:16 AM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/08/...wolf-warrior-2
Old 01-27-2018, 02:22 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

After several months of waiting, I finally got around to watching this. It's a well produced, jingoistic war movie. Chud, that article is a good take on it. So is this podcast.