The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-11-2010, 04:24 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
I was thinking of taking another episode that is pretty good stand alone, where she doesn't need to know much about the overall plot, but nothing is really jumping out at me. Any suggestions, Talking Time?

I think it'd be best to stick to a one parter.
That last qualifier eliminates the obvious suggestion of The Impossible Planet, but I still think that's what you have to go with. 42 is a semi-acceptable substitute if you have to go with a single-parter, but cliffhangers are an essential part of what makes the show fun.

Actually, screw that - Girl in the Fireplace. You'll have to show her a non-Moffat episode at some point, but might as well lead with the big guns, and I think Moffat even referred to that as an episode written specifically to get more women to watch the show.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Your life is forfeit

So I'm still muddling through the Christopher Eccleston episodes (half an hour of viewing time on most but not all days doesn't make for marathon watching), and I'm curious about the episode "Dalek." I know the Daleks are legacy foes from the older shows, but I'm curious to know if the "last time war" that wiped out the Daleks and Time Lords was ever actually shown or if that's something that happened off-camera between incarnations.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:51 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
So I'm still muddling through the Christopher Eccleston episodes (half an hour of viewing time on most but not all days doesn't make for marathon watching), and I'm curious about the episode "Dalek." I know the Daleks are legacy foes from the older shows, but I'm curious to know if the "last time war" that wiped out the Daleks and Time Lords was ever actually shown or if that's something that happened off-camera between incarnations.
Off camera. You'll get bits and pieces of the story as you go, and I think RTD filled in a some of it in various interviews for the truly hardcore fans, but it's not something you need to worry about. There was a war, the Doctor is now the last of his race, that's it. It's more thematically important than anything else.

That's such a great episode. The 'I MADE IT HAPPEN' speech especially.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Mystery Contraption

And apparently the war managed to bugger-up a whole whack of other planets causing widespread problems for many other races. But that aspect is pretty much dropped after the Eccleston season.

...heck I think it's dropped about 5 episodes into the Eccleston season.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
...heck I think it's dropped about 5 episodes into the Eccleston season.
It's like that moment in the Star Trek movie where they basically say "We're in an Alternate Reality now!", although not really. The War is just a big hand-wave to restart continuity for new viewers and explain each piece of backstory as its retooled for the new series.

I don't know why aliens in general would know about Time Lords in the first place, but it's sometimes implied that they've been forgotten since The War, but then other aliens seem to remember. Basically the writers are making it up as they go along.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 PM

Does Doctor Who have the best theme song of any show?

Y / Y
>
Old 01-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Mystery Contraption

I kind of interpretted it as meaning that as a result of the end of the War, time got allllllllll screwed up, creating many plot holes that you best off disregarding.

Like the Doctors version of Unicron.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunix View Post
Does Doctor Who have the best theme song of any show?

Y / Y
>
Maybe.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I kind of interpretted it as meaning that as a result of the end of the War, time got allllllllll screwed up, creating many plot holes that you best off disregarding.
So, it's just like Doctor Who has always been.

The Time Lords/Gallifrey have never been really that important, showing up only a handful of times in 25 years or so. Doctor Who had almost no continuity until this new version. Most villains are defeated, FOREVER! only to show up again at the very least for the next Doctor to confront them, if not in the following season.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:39 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Man, I can waste HOURS just sifting through Doctor Who articles on Wikipedia. I get the feeling that Doctor Who was originally one of those shows, like the original Star Trek, that played fast and loose with everything and the over-obsessive fans ran around and worked like mad to stick it all together to make sense somehow.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Better be the real thing.

Pretty much, except I think it works even less if you try. It is about time travel, after all. I've heard (I forget where) that the writers on the old series didn't even have any kind of series bible.

So yeah, it's not really a solid continuity. It's more of a wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey ball.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:51 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Additionally, I find the "Big Finish" audio adventures of the Eighth Doctor to be really fun listens. I'm not so sure they fit in with the whole continuity of everything, but thanks to that wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey ball, they don't have to!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:06 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Nah, they pay pretty close attention to keeping those vague enough to not mess with continuity too much, although since presumably it was the 8th Doctor that actually did all the stuff in the Time War, RTD screwed with them occasionally when he changed something. But it's become something of a dictate that they avoid storylines dealing with what the show's touching on in the current year; for example, they avoided using the Daleks and Cybermen when Season 2 was on the air.

But the entire line's solid entertainment, although I liked it more when they were on a rotation rather than three months of one Doctor, then three months of the next.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Yeah, generally the stories used to go along the lines of "Baddies? In Elizabethan England? That's not meant to happen!". Then the Doctor fixes it in a way that fixes stuff and life carries on. Generally nothing huge and game changing used to happen in the old episodes as far as I can remember which sidestepped the fact that series bibles hadn't been invented in 1963.

Actually the fact that Doctor Who is 47 years old is pretty amazing.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
Actually the fact that Doctor Who is 47 years old is pretty amazing.
Although it's sort of the Star Trek case where there was a big break in there, albeit not nearly as long as the TOS - TNG break.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:03 PM
I Cuss You Bad

In case you're wondering, she's not a policewoman
Old 01-22-2010, 02:51 PM
I Cuss You Bad

If anyone wants to try an original Doctor Who serial to watch then I can recommend Genesis of the Daleks. I've just finished watching it myself. It's very pacy for an old episode, incredibly dark (the new series has never gotten this bleak) and Davros is downright terrifying. It's pretty great.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
If anyone wants to try an original Doctor Who serial to watch then I can recommend Genesis of the Daleks. [SNIP] It's pretty great.
I second this. Plus it has Sarah Jane in it, and she's the one companion from the Old Show that has been referenced in the New One.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:42 AM
I like Starman.

So I'm new to this Doctor Who thing and am currently a few episodes in to the third season of the new stuff, and I just have to say that the show doesn't hold my interest as much without Rose. Martha just doesn't do much for me. I was able to weather the Eccleston to Tennant switch okay, though from what I can tell I'm in the extreme minority as after a season and change I still prefer Eccleston, but the loss of Rose hasn't been as good. I'll continue along since almost all of the new stuff is on Netflix instant view though I'm unsure whether to watch Torchwood.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:58 AM
Follow the fuck-man

So I just started watching Dr. Who after being curious about it for a good 10 years (thanks netflix), I'm starting with the 2005 Christopher Eccleston series and HOLY CRAP. Guys this is awesome british sci fi. The stuff with the plastic creature was pure gold, cant wait to watch the rest.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:09 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholai View Post
So I'm new to this Doctor Who thing and am currently a few episodes in to the third season of the new stuff, and I just have to say that the show doesn't hold my interest as much without Rose. Martha just doesn't do much for me. I was able to weather the Eccleston to Tennant switch okay, though from what I can tell I'm in the extreme minority as after a season and change I still prefer Eccleston, but the loss of Rose hasn't been as good. I'll continue along since almost all of the new stuff is on Netflix instant view though I'm unsure whether to watch Torchwood.
You're not alone - I really liked Ecclestone and wished he'd stuck around a bit longer (although I'm a Mancunian too, so that may have something to do with that). I also wasn't a huge fan of Martha. Season 3 is pretty great though, so stick with it. It's got my favourite new Who episode in it.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Mr. Jackpots

For my part I don't understand why anyone ever liked Rose at all.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholai View Post
I'll continue along since almost all of the new stuff is on Netflix instant view though I'm unsure whether to watch Torchwood.
The first two seasons are almost entirely shit, though rather different varieties of shit. The third is the best science fiction television programming I have seen, which means better than practically all the video (though not audio) Doctor Who out there.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:57 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
For my part I don't understand why anyone ever liked Rose at all.
I was also in that camp for a while, but then Donna came around and I realised Rose wasn't nearly as bad as I'd previously thought.

But Season 3 is the hands-down best season of the bunch, but admittedly if you were really into Rose it's hard to adapt. I was more happy that she was gone, and so when the murderer's row of episodes hit to start the season (with the exception of the truly horrid Daleks in Manhattan) I was in heaven. That was the perfect blend of old-school horror-based Doctor Who and the lighter new stuff, culminating, of course, with the Blink / Utopia double-shot.

Quote:
The third is the best science fiction television programming I have seen, which means better than practically all the video (though not audio) Doctor Who out there.
Eh, too decompressed for my tastes, and too much darkness for its own sake rather than plot advancement (which was an admittedly common problem with Torchwood, and that miniseries was better than a lot of episodes in avoiding that trap). The only reason it was five parts was because that's what the format was, rather than what the story merited.

Also, that big dramatic blowoff? All building up to Jack fucking Alonso after picking him up in a bar. Kind of takes the shine off it.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Follow the fuck-man

God that two part manhattan dalek story was terrible, the first absoulty unbearable series of episodes in the entirety of the show so far for me.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Semi-Lurker

I like much of Neil Gaiman's work, and I like much of Doctor Who. Hopefully I'll love it when they come together in another year...
Old 02-07-2010, 08:47 PM
I like Starman.

So I finished up on the first four series of the new stuff. In the end I still preferred Eccleston to Tennant. I definitely liked Rose, and while Martha was just sort of blah, Donna didn't really do much for me at all. I wish the viewers could have a goodly run with the same Doctor and companion as I got annoyed having the same moments with each new companion and I imagine it'll be the same for the 11th Doctor and the new companion. Definitely worth watching and it was great that it was all on Netflix instant view with the exception to the Christmas special just before series 4.

Now I've just got to wait until Netflix has all of the new Battlestar on blu-ray so I can catch up with that show too.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:56 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

First three story titles -
  1. The Eleventh Hour by Steven Moffat, directed by Adam Smith
  2. The Beast Below by Steven Moffat, directed by Andrew Gunn
  3. Victory Of The Daleks by Mark Gatiss, directed by Andrew Gunn

So, for those of you who were wondering if there were any more words to put before "... of the Daleks", why, yes there are. Mercifully, it's only a one-part episode, as the traditional 4/5 two-parter is Moffat and Smith again.

The Gaiman episode is on the schedule for 2011.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:05 AM
troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
But Season 3 is the hands-down best season of the bunch, but admittedly if you were really into Rose it's hard to adapt. I was more happy that she was gone, and so when the murderer's row of episodes hit to start the season (with the exception of the truly horrid Daleks in Manhattan) I was in heaven. That was the perfect blend of old-school horror-based Doctor Who and the lighter new stuff, culminating, of course, with the Blink / Utopia double-shot.
I have to agree with you on this one. I stopped liking Rose after Series 1 and Martha was such a breath of fresh air. I could've done with Daleks in Manhattan/Last of the Time Lords (well, mainly the Doctor/Jesus catastrophe at the very end), but the rest of it was so strong. I love Donna to death, but in rewatching S4, I realized that it was only the character I loved, but not her actual episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Also, that big dramatic blowoff? All building up to shiny happy people holding hands? Kind of takes the shine off it.
That whole coda was unnecessary and bloated and worthy of my favorite RTD-slamming image.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Follow the fuck-man

Just finished the end of time, I thought it was a pretty classy way to go out. It was nice that The Doctor got to go back and see everyone again for one last time, even if it was already done at the end of series 4. The only part that bothered me was Martha and Mickey being married was lame.

I was intitally worried about having a new shoerunner next season but when I found out it was the guy who wrote the best damn episodes of the whole series, I am very very excited. If you watch the searies5 commerical you can see the return of the angel race (!!!) and even more exciting River Song from The Forest of The Dead 2 parter in series 4 Can't wait to see what happens with her.

Tags
bad wolf , basically run , bbc , capaldimania , dalektable , danny divito , derpy is best companion , doctor who , i'm the tin dog , jackie is a selling point , literal slap in the face , reverse gender polarity , reverse the polarity , sci-fi , serious , tardis , television , time travel , timey wimey stuff