The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Is there not one thing

I have finally begun watching Lucha Underground on Netflix. It is worth the wait.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:27 AM
plz advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I have finally begun watching Lucha Underground on Netflix. It is worth the wait.

The fact that LU features the first casket match that DOESN'T suck shit through a straw speaks volumes of the ambitions of that program.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:34 PM
concern troll

I should start watching LU now that I can easily/legally. If watching the WWE Network has taught me anything it's that wrestling is almost always as timeless as it is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinMelt View Post
The fact that LU features the first casket match that DOESN'T suck shit through a straw speaks volumes of the ambitions of that program.
Interest peaked!

Next you'll tell me they do an inferno match that isn't terrible.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:14 PM
plz advise

Default Tights and Taunts: The Wrestling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Next you'll tell me they do an inferno match that isn't terrible.

They do shows in what looks like a studio lot, no fire marshall would approve an Inferno match in it. But they certainly have fun with their gimmick matches; they've done two Iron Man matches (they call it "All Night Long") without a clock counting down, and the aforementioned casket matches (Grave Consequences).

But yeah, you owe it to yourself to check it out.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:34 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I thought the Mundo / Mack ANL was actually quite good given the inherent limitations of the Mack. But it's one of those LU matches where it's edited to the point that it looks like a highlight package more than the actual match.

But, still:

*kiss noise* so choice.

I'm hearing such wildly varying opinions on Miz / Ambrose that I might have to force myself to sit through another one of their matches, which I swore I'd never do. But the main from last night sounds great, so I'll watch that during the intermissions during Pens / Preds tonight.

(Balor wasn't demon'd up, so he lost. Is the Joe cage match the only one he's lost in the makeup?)
Old 06-05-2017, 09:38 AM

LU is legit, it hit a lull end of season 2 into season 3, but it's firing up again.

Season 2's Aztec Warfare (LU's version of the royal rumble) was heart-pumping television.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:44 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

The best / worst part of LU (aside from Sexy Star) is how you'll have all these great matches, and then there'll be this mess with Chavo's storyline mucking things up for reasons that are unknown (unless you realise that Chavo's a booker so, fuck you he gets his TV time).

They actually used Sexy Star properly last week, too: one dive and then STAYING THE FUCK AWAY FROM DOING ANYTHING ELSE.

There was some weirdness with the booking, though: why was Mundo scared about the match continuing into next week? He won the first fall this week (first two falls, actually)! For that psychology to work, Mack has to win the first fall and then you can say that if it happens again the next time, Mack wins the title since he doesn't survive the hour.

That's where Mundo's gimmick plays against traditional heel psychology in an iron man: he requested the match because he thought he could out-cardio Mack, but a babyface has to make comebacks later on in an iron man.

(Oh, and Shawn / Taker was a great casket match.)
Old 06-05-2017, 11:17 AM
concern troll

I was a fan of the miz Ambrose match. It wasn't the best match ever, but it was a solid curtain jerker for a B PPV. The Miz is maybe the best pure heel in the WWE.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:28 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I was a fan of the miz Ambrose match. It wasn't the best match ever, but it was a solid curtain jerker for a B PPV. The Miz is maybe the best pure heel in the WWE.
I was genuinely upset that they moved him to Raw, because he can't move up the card there. I mean, seriously, Miz vs Brock would be perversely entertaining, but it's not like they're ever going to run that.

On the other hand... the name of the next PPV may be unspeakable, but I can get behind Joe vs Brock and Finn vs Wyatt on top.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:12 AM
concern troll

Yeah, the miz would have a much better chance of getting to the top on Smackdown. Then again, they are pushing the IC title as the "TV title" in a way with Brock being so PT, so in a way it could be great for him to be the top champ on Raw every week.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:36 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I will proceed to ruin all other wrestling for you with one match.

Kobashi and Kikuchi vs Furnas & LaFon.

Yes, THAT match. The full version, which I didn't even know existed.

You're welcome.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:24 PM

So doesn't anyone else watch being the elite? It's a pretty funny series. It's often hard to tell when Kenny Omega is in his boss character, and when it's just Kenny. Also I'm still trying to find Cody Rhodes relationship to the revival, but I'm surprised each time they find a new way for him to say fuck the revival.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:20 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I love whenever MonsoonClassic gets it in him to send us on a journey to WWF early-00s syndicated hell.

Um, sure, Stevie Richards, you do the Essa Rios entrance. I didn't even remember that he was on the roster at this point since the RTC hadn't picked up.

(Of course, in the alternate universe of No Mercy, Stevie was a main eventer during this period.)

What the hell is Tracey Smothers doing wrestling on Metal in 2000? Weren't the FBI still a thing in ECW at this point?

*sigh* The last days of DBS. He wasn't long for the promotion, and, truthfully, the world.

And since there were remarkably only three REALLY weird ones:

This might be the last angle of importance on Superstars. It's a squash for Undertaker over The Goon (here wearing the Devils road uniform look that I honestly don't remember him wearing before, and leaving me to think that they should've given him a title match in Newark like that one time the Brawler got a shot at Bret in MSG), but it ends with Taker tombstoning Cornette, which was how he was written out as Vader transitioned to Bearer while Bulldog and Owen stuck with Clarence Mason. I don't think he'd appear in an active role again until the disastrous NWA angle started up in early 98.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:33 AM
Is there not one thing

Okada-Omega II pulls the ******1/4, Herb laughs as his wretched twitter followers declare Schism and massacre one another in internecine warfare.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:37 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Okada-Omega II pulls the ******1/4, Herb laughs as his wretched twitter followers declare Schism and massacre one another in internecine warfare.
This explains why Dave hasn't had the chance to answer my Kikuchi question.

Speaking of small Japanese men, MC uploaded the great London / Akio match from Saitama in 2005:

Amazingly, these matches led to London getting pushed, as he'd win the CW title and then get the long run as a tag champ with Kendrick.

Recommendation to watch both halves of that Raw / SD taping set from Japan if you haven't seen it. The Raw side, in particular, is a GREAT, PPV-level show with Benoit / Jericho, Michaels / Flair, Edge / HHH, and Batista destroying Maven as his push hit "nuclear."

Last edited by Sven; 06-15-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:56 AM
kill

Mayweather vs. McGregor could crown the last Brawl For All champion
Old 06-16-2017, 11:15 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Ha! I knew that Sudo had it after the Butterbean match (which was, let's face it, as appropriate as one can imagine) but I didn't realise that it had migrated into UFC.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Is there not one thing

Good, good. Now I need to run the numbers on the lineal SUPER HLUK
Old 06-19-2017, 08:58 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Two thoughts:

1. I don't know if I like that Maria's retained her intelligence from her TNA character. I mostly wanted adorable Maria back.

2. Maria's legs are way thicker than Mike's.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:36 PM

A lot of my friends were on teamspeak watching Mitb. The general thought was I'm cancelling the network among the 15 or so people. The first women's money in the bank was won by a man. Just saying.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:46 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
A lot of my friends were on teamspeak watching Mitb. The general thought was I'm cancelling the network among the 15 or so people. The first women's money in the bank was won by a man. Just saying.
It was really shitty. But honestly, I should not have been surprised. This company can pay lip service to women's wrestling all it wants but it'll always chase cheap heat when it can.

The sad thing is, I'm agree with the result! Ellsworth holding the bag for Carmella will totally work for her. And he still could have been involved, but god damn, still have her make the climb!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:25 PM
:V

And the worst part of Ellesworth winning the first woman's MITB bank, it is not guaranteed they will do a second one next year. This may open up an opportunity for Maryse to win the next MITB for mens but i doubt they will.

Second, does Carmilla even have a legitimate reason for ppl to hate her as a heel? She can't really wrestle (from what little I've seen of her). She is not great on the mic or are they hoping she end1 up getting X-pac heat?

At this point you cannot hate WWE anymore, you just hate Vince. Trips need to take over already or something.

Other random thought, Jinder's glorified random slam is not believable as a move to knock ppl out (yes yes wrestling moves, but but ppls's elbow, etc).
Old 06-20-2017, 05:08 AM
concern troll

His finishing move doesn't look super strong on its own, but Randy was pretty on the ropes before the whole messing with his dad thing gave him a shot of adrenaline. His flurry lasted too long and he stopped selling entirely, which made his final defeat feel flat.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:29 PM

To be fair, he did have to break a table with his spine, and while it was meant to break, RKOs and announce tables don't seem to mix well. SD GM can tell you that.

Also Cena to win title again in Battleground, hold onto to it until SummerSlam, cash in, loses it and Baron wins to be blue brand's marquee heel. I really hope Cena's return doesn't turn into a predictable feud, WWE in general are in serious need of good heels without them being fed to expensive part timers.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:53 PM

That's the other thing that bugged me. They set up Nakamura so much. The early take down, the late entry, restarting his intro. You could tell the fans wanted it. When the crowd is actually being respectable and finishing Nakamura entrance while wwe was like cut it off for the commentary. The crowd clearly waned it.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:42 PM
concern troll

Nakamura for sure should have had a bigger false finish, or else him and AJ should have beaten the shit out of each other more. If they had a similar sequence and the Corbin hit them both with big moves and not just the ladder dump, then it would have been a more believable heel playing possum for the right moment finish
Old 06-20-2017, 11:39 PM

I think i can safely say Raw's the worst heel turn ever. And it only took 3 (4?) weeks to do. Congrats Vince, you're bad at what you do.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:39 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

It's clearly too soon to move Nakamura into the title picture, and he's not the type of character you want holding the briefcase anyway. It made no sense to have him win MITB and I don't understand anyone who thinks he should.

The only faces who make sense as the MITB holders are the slightly scuzzy types like Ambrose and Punk (and Punk only won it once as a face, his second title win was when he turned heel against Jeff Hardy). It fits Corbin's character perfectly as the "fuck the norms of wrestling, I just want to make money" type of guy.

Oh, by the way: Fire Pro World goes to Early Access on July 10.

(Okada is perfectly fine in Fire Pro Returns, but that'll be nice.)
Old 06-21-2017, 11:21 AM
concern troll

I think they could have gone with Sami. He could have declared his title match ahead of time, the honorable thing to do, and Jinder gets the opportunity to cheat like hell to win and screw Sami out of his MITB shot. The only problem is they sort of did that already, yeah?
Old 06-21-2017, 11:37 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Yeah, Sami was the only face guy I could see winning... especially because I could then see Vince waking up the next day wondering why the hell Sami won and have him fail on the cash-in like Sandow (and how Bryan very nearly did).

Cena and RVD both did the call-ahead cash in; Cena lost by DQ.

I heard very good things about Gable / Owens from last night, but haven't had the chance to watch it yet.

Tags
firebreaker chip , ice train , it's still real to me , lazertron