The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 01-17-2019, 08:39 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
They resurrected Cyclops? That really didn't take as long as I expected.
Supposed to get more actual explanation in the annual next week, but:

Extermination #5

Uncanny X-Men #10

Old 01-22-2019, 07:10 AM
Space Prez

Do people consider Gwen Stacey's death to be a 'fridging'? I had never thought of it that way before, but it does meet the definition.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:12 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

They did it before it was a comic cliche.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:14 AM
Space Prez

It's sort of the prime example, isn't it? She paved the way, in comics at least.
Finally saw Spider-Verse, and been grappling with some stuff :I
Old 01-22-2019, 07:15 AM
Born in the USA

If it was the prime example it would be called bridging
Old 01-22-2019, 07:24 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
The "fridging" term was coined by Gail Simone after Kyle Rayner's grilfriend was, well, fridged. If we're to believe the Comic Vine list, Simone does consider Gwen as an example of fridging.

Not all fridgings are intrinsically bad, BTW, but since they are such a cheap narrative tools, most of them are.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:26 AM
Born in the USA

Yeah I was making a clever joke.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:27 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Thank you for this, most people would have just left me dangling.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Yeah I was making a clever joke.
Sorry, didn't mean to throw you off.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:07 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to throw you off.
We've all made snap judgments.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:19 AM
Sega CD version is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Supposed to get more actual explanation in the annual next week, but:

Extermination #5

Uncanny X-Men #10

Another mutant cure? This is what I think is the biggest issue with the X-Men as a franchise. The fact it canít go six months without someone going ďThereís too many mutants!Ē and introducing yet another culling event. Itís next to impossible to do anything new or fresh in an environment that is continually self stagnating itself, and if a writer genuinely think there are too many mutants, they could always just, you know, not write about the ones they donít want to write about. At least when Disney didnít own the movie rights it just seemed they were chopping off their nose to spite the face. Now I donít know their deal is...
Old 01-22-2019, 10:24 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Avengers 4 is supposed to wipe the slate clean as far as the MCU goes, going to guess it, the new Spidey movie, and the Cap Marvel movie are going to hint at a bunch of new stuff to keep the train going. All three of those are out this year, so they only have to keep the mutants dead for less than a year and I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel already had post-Fox designs and stuff ready to go.
Nah, all the X-Books are still ongoing, and because of previews and solicits we knew like half a year in advance that everyone who """died""" in this event are just shunted into an alternate reality for a few months to star in a bunch of event minis.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:24 AM
Senhor Member

I donít like that particular well either, but I donít think this will last for very long. I think the mutants are just going to be quarantined in alternate reality for a few months.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:30 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
I donít like that particular well either, but I donít think this will last for very long. I think the mutants are just going to be quarantined in alternate reality for a few months.
And not even all of them! Just the ones who starred in the Disassembled event in Uncanny X-Men (2018) #1-10.

Mutants who couldn't fit the Disassembled event into their schedule (Rogue and Gambit in Mr. and Mrs. X, X-Force, the New Mutants: Dead Souls cast, and mutants in other books like Quentin Quire are . . . fine.

The characters who """died""" (were shunted into an alternate reality) are the ones authors wanted to use in their 5 issue alternate reality event minis. That's all.

Uncanny X-Men continues in the mainline universe with a focus on Cyclops and Wolverine and other characters who are still in the mainline reality because no one wanted them for their event-mini. (Or, the opposite: With characters the event-mini authors couldn't claim, because Rosenberg wanted them for Uncanny.)

Anyway, the minis are 5 issues, so it will be exactly that long.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:07 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Avengers 4 is supposed to wipe the slate clean as far as the MCU goes, going to guess it, the new Spidey movie, and the Cap Marvel movie are going to hint at a bunch of new stuff to keep the train going. All three of those are out this year, so they only have to keep the mutants dead for less than a year and I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel already had post-Fox designs and stuff ready to go.
Thinking on this more, the funny thing is that your totally reasonable and good idea that Marvel Comics would/should try to take advantage of the massively successful MCU movies gives them way too much credit.

It does make sense to assume that they would try to have accessible titles for new readers when there are major movies featuring those same characters. And yet . . .
Old 01-22-2019, 02:11 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

It'sa me, the eternal optimist
Old 01-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
everyone who """died""" in this event are just shunted into an alternate reality for a few months to star in a bunch of event minis.
Mutants Reborn
Old 01-23-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Mutants Reborn
It's more like, what if AOA and Heroes Reborn had a baby.

Quote:
Supposed to get more actual explanation in the annual next week
Long story short: he didn't really get buried in the Inhumans story (Cable stole the body) then in the Phoenix Resurrection / Jean stuff Cable siphoned some Phoenix powers and used that to jump start Cyclops' corpse back to life.

Last edited by TheSL; 01-23-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:10 AM
Space Prez

I have a kid that beacme very interested in Miles Morales Spider-Man over the weekend. Any recommendations of where to start?
Old 01-23-2019, 11:58 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
I have a kid that beacme very interested in Miles Morales Spider-Man over the weekend. Any recommendations of where to start?
Watch Into the Spider-Verse again.

In comics, Saladin Ahmed's Miles Morales: Spider-Man just started with a #1 in December. If you are not terrified of getting your kid on the monthly floppies train, that might be a good start. I have not actually read this yet, but Ahmed is a good writer and other comic versions of Miles are . . . a mixed bag.

If they want to start at the beginning and/or you want to avoid floppies, there's a few TPB volumes called The Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man Ultimate Collection. The caveat is that (1) a kid might find Bendis' Miles to be slow paced and (2) it gets tied into Ultimate Marvel silliness and then later Big Marvel Events as they transfer the character over from Ultimate into mainline Marvel continuity.

Ahmed seems like the best shot at anyone doing a Miles story in comics that is as good as the character deserves.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:02 PM

My only issue with Ahmed's book (which admittedly, Bendis did before he left) is that Miles has been aged up a bit compared to where he started. A lot more relationship drama and whatever that may be less appealing to younger kids.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:25 PM
Senhor Member

Every character in comics should rapidly age up or down until theyíre 27. Just one posterís opinion.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:29 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
My only issue with Ahmed's book (which admittedly, Bendis did before he left) is that Miles has been aged up a bit compared to where he started. A lot more relationship drama and whatever that may be less appealing to younger kids.
Yeah, I was only partly joking by suggesting that the best answer was maybe just to watch Into the Spider-Verse again.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:48 PM
Space Prez

FWIW, we did see it twice already.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:55 PM
Born in the USA

I'm surprised he hasn't even had his own animated series yet.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:56 PM
Space Prez

The real answer is "marvel is unprepared for new readers following a successful venture in another media" which is business as usual for the last two decades. Not even Disney has faith, they liscence their properties out to other publishers.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:50 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Honestly, having Ahmed's Miles Morales #1 come out the same month as Spider-Verse is probably Marvel Comics' best attempt at onboarding new readers through the movies in some time, if it was scheduled intentionally.

I do wonder if this was planned or just a broken clock coincidence though. When you're resetting to a new #1 as often as Marvel Comics does these days, one of them is bound to come out around the same time as a movie adaptation, eventually.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:32 PM
Space Prez

I don't have like a list handy, but they often have #1 issues to coincide with a movie premier. The blunder is that the new book's status quo is tied to comics continuity instead of reflecting the movie, which I think defeats the point. It's intimidating for new readers to jump into the deep end like that. Is it the ego of editorial, unwilling to defer to the success of the films? Lord knows Stan chased Hollywood's tail at every opportunity.

My kid loves the MCU films, we went through all of them last spring before Infinity War came out. He's never showed any interest in Marvel comics before this weekend. He does read other stuff, Captain Underpants, Teen Titans Go, Doctor Who comics. I've never understood the dissonance between the overwhelming popularity of the movies and what I can only describe as disdain that Marvel comics has for that audience.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:16 PM
Senhor Member

I read a lot of Marvel comics (Iím slowly stopping!) and I sense no disdain. They often have tie-in minis that more closely resemble the movies and take place in AUs... after a while. There are references to popular bits in the films/trailers after creators get a chance to see them. Marvel Studios isnít going to share their upcoming films months in advance with creators or editorial, though. Comics donít matter that much.

I donít see why the comics that are published once a month should distort themselves around movies that come out so infrequently. And the line would be even more conservative. Maybe they could sell more comics if they immediately hewed closely to what was going on in the most recent film, though I donít personally need even more MCU. OTOH the comics Iíd be interested in reading (X-Man... bisexual thot? some bullshit with Madelyne Pryor?) arenít actually viable. D*ng.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:45 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

From the letter pages of The Amazing Spider-Man #21, February 1965.

Quote:
However, I was quite disappointed with your revelation as to why J. Jonah Jameson hates Spider-Man. To quote from J.J.J.'s speech, "All my life I've been interested in only one thing--making money! And yet, Spider-Man risks his life day after day with no thought of reward! If a man like him is good--a hero--then what am I?" I ask by what standard may J.J.J., a producer, be said to be less moral or even immoral in comparison with Spider-Man. How can J. Jonah Jameson, who has provided work for hundreds or thousands and news for millions, be said to be immoral? Why has a man that has amassed a fortune solely through providing the news faster, cheaper, more concisely, and more accurately than any other source accepted a standard of morality that holds his production, his virtue to be evil? Money is not a tool of the looters or the moochers; it is a tool of the producers. To be able to say that one has made money is to pay oneself the highest possible compliment. If J. Jonah Jameson can truly say that he made money, he may walk tall.
It's nice to see Ditko critiquing his own comic.

Tags
comics , excelsior! , marvel , super heroes