The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 02-24-2017, 10:01 AM
An Animal of Joy

Looking forward to the next update.

Correction in the final panel: "...before I put in the final nail in..."
Old 02-25-2017, 04:39 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guild View Post
N-no this is REALLY good.

Maybe I don't know whats good?! You are insulting me!
Sorry! Not my intention! I'm glad to know that at least two actual human beings actually like what I'm doing!

I'm just a big perfectionist, and somehow the pages (and story) always end up looking the opposite of what I would like them to look like, and I find the whole thing very frustrating. (That's not going to stop me until I get to the end of the chapter, though.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post

Thanks! I will fix that when I post the next page. Which should be next Saturday.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Random guy

Quote:

Fun fact: There was a mistake in the French version in the exact same speech bubble. Both of them are now fixed.

In other news: Page 28 is up!

Page 29 should be up between March 12th and March 18th.

Also, good news! I was at a café last night with my notepad, working on the dialogues, and I finally reached that point:

(This is French for: "End of Episode 01". I usually write the dialogues in French first, and then translate them on the fly when I type them in the speech bubbles.)

So, in other words: I am four to five pages away from the end of this thing! Hurray!
Old 03-12-2017, 09:28 PM
An Animal of Joy

Congrats on being in spitting distance of finishing the chapter! I'm excited to see where this goes, and I'll give it another read through once the final page is out.

I would recommend another correction on the final panel of page 28: "...did not think it appropriate..."
Old 03-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Random guy

Quote:
I would recommend another correction on the final panel of page 28: "...did not think it appropriate..."
Thanks! I fixed the page, and the change should now be online.

Also online: Page 29! It look amateurish as all hell, but at this point I kinda just want to get this thing over with. (Not a great sales pitch, I know!)

Next page should be up at some point next week.

In other news: I finished the thumbnails for the script last weekend, and there are 4 pages left in the first episode. The end is in sight!
Old 04-02-2017, 02:30 PM
Random guy

Page 30 is up. Apologies for the long wait...

Next page should be up next Sunday (hopefully). I may need to add a page at the end, as I have made some revisions to the script.

My goal is to get this thing done by mid-May (maybe sooner). However, I am currently looking for a new job out of town, so I may have to move at some point, and this will definitely delay work on the comic.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:46 AM
An Animal of Joy

Yay! Looking forward to it, I'm starting to grasp what's going on thanks to this dialogue, I think the first chapter will make a pretty solid hook for your series.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Random guy

Unfortunately, I have to push page 31 to Friday, there's been a death in the family and I have to go attend the funeral and everything. I did not really like the person who died, but I still have to go
Old 04-14-2017, 06:22 PM
Random guy

Page 31 is up! More talking!

Next page may be up Sunday, but no guarantees. I may actually take a day off next Friday so that I can finally put this thing to rest next week.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:28 PM
An Animal of Joy

Nice, I like how you broke out of the grid a little in this one, looking forward to more such experiments. There's a typo in the last panel "intrudions".

I think you're doing a good job of making a satisfying self contained arc in a very reasonable amount of pages. Very good planning and execution.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:03 AM
Random guy

Thanks!

I'll fix the typo when I post the next page.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Random guy

Page 32 is now available. This is the second last page of the chapter. Page 33 should be up Sunday, if all goes well.

Also: I fixed the typo from page 31.

Last edited by bobbywatson; 04-20-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:38 PM
An Animal of Joy

Surprised she let Silver go. I would think she would want to verify Migrai's claims on her own first, but maybe his agency is just that unquestionable?
Old 04-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Random guy

She already knew Silver and Migraï were working together, and that this was part of a plot. At this point, she has no reason not to trust Migraï. If Migraï says he's got good evidence, that's good enough for her, even though she doesn't like him very much.

He's from Section 42, and people from Section 42 don't get questioned usually. Except by other people from Section 42.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:53 PM
Random guy

I was running a bit late, and I messed up with my layers, so I have to push this to Tuesday
Old 04-25-2017, 05:59 PM
Random guy

And page 33 (and the first chapter) is done!

It's hard to believe that this crazy adventure that I started more than a year and a half ago is done. Well, not "done done", but "done for now". I'm pretty sure that, deep down, I was expecting to give up after page 5. Assuming I ever got to page 5.

Am I happy with the result? Of course not. I'm not going to bash on it here (I'm an expert at self-deprecation). Some people liked it. I didn't. But I am also my harshest critic.

(I actually had written a long post about all the things I have learned along the way and the various issues I have identified with my process, but I'm not sure I'm going to share this one publicly.)

So, what's next?

I have started working on the script for Episode 02. The tone will be very different. The art will be as well. Episode 01 was 95% done on the computer. Episode 02 will be 95% done on paper. Color will be gone. It takes too much time, and the results are not good enough to make it worth it (in my humble opinion). I'm thinking about using inkwash, but I haven't fully decided yet. I may do a page or two to see if I like it better, and start over if I don't. (I recently read a comic done in inkwash, and I quite liked the result, so I know it CAN work. Not sure I can make it work though.)

To be perfectly honest, when I started working on Episode 01, I didn't really know where this was going to go. I have a better idea now. Whether I can pull it off or not is still up in the air.

The next question is, of course, when is Episode 02 going to start? The answer is: I don't know.

Let's be honest: My life is kind of a shitshow right now. I'm stuck in a job I hate, and I'm living in a house that I can't sell because the market is down in the sewer, in a city that I hate as well, I'm dealing with acute loneliness, and I can feel that I am getting very close to actual depression.

I know I'm quitting my job in about a month and a half, but what happens after that, I don't know. Several years ago, I made the choice of going into a very specific field of IT (because money -- I was young and stupid), and now it's going to be very hard to get myself out of it. In order to do that, I have to learn the things I'm actually interested in pursuing professionally (specifically, iOS and Ruby on Rails development). This means cartooning has to take the backseat for a little while. This is really not where I expected to find myself at 38, and yet, here I am.

Work on the comic will continue regardless, but very slowly. I will use this time to write a script I won't have to rewrite completely halfway through (like I did for Episode 01). I also plan to go back to the drawing board (literaly) to study anatomy, perspective, and how to compose a picture. And try to improve my lettering. And my inking techniques. (I'm sure a Manga Studio pro can do a good job of inking on a computer, but I am not that person.)

I am juggling with a few ideas for a short interlude between Episodes 01 and 02. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to do it or not. We'll see.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read the comic (all two of you). The adventure is not over! I'll see you all in a few months, hopefully in a better position IRL than I am at the moment!

And now, I'm going to go downstairs, grab a chair, a controller, and play Saints Row 2 for an hour without feeling guilty because I'm not working on the comic! Yay!

Obligatory self patting on the back:

Old 04-25-2017, 07:07 PM
Not a Beer

Congrats on finishing the chapter! Definitely something to be proud of even as you see all the things you want to improve. Best of luck on your life/work transitions!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:23 PM
An Animal of Joy

Nice going! I like a lot of the hooks built into this story, so even something completely different that expands on any aspect will be very cool. I think you have a lot of freedom for your next work.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:41 PM
Random guy

Thanks guys!

Temporary title for Episode 02 is: The Pointless Life

I just typed my first draft of the dialogs for the first few pages and... damn, I was in a dark place when I wrote that...
Old 08-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Random guy

No, I am not dead, and neither is the comic! Just like me IRL, it is currently getting ready for a come back. It might be a while, although I have a four-page script ready to be revised that I am going to publish before episode 02. Also, I'm experimenting with inkwash for the comic. Quick preview of how things might look like moving forward:

Not great, but it's a start. Also experimenting with a simpler style of drawing.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:51 PM
An Animal of Joy

Not great? That looks great to me! I'd say the line economy and natural media are really working for you.