The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 04-23-2018, 07:54 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
1. What's the worst book you remember reading?
2. Newspaper game of choice: Crosswords, Sudoku, the Jumble, other?
3. Do you want to dance?
4. You are driving down the road at top speed. What music is playing?
5. Do you believe in intelligent life on other planets?
6. What's the earliest dream you remember having?
1. Tough call, Ready Player One is the only book I ever flipped off when I finished it, so I guess that wins. But I did finish it, so I must have liked it more than, say, Insomnia. But if I drop a book because it’s prose or content are not to my preference, I don’t throw an obscene gesture at it.

2. Crosswords. Also Slylock Fox mysteries.

3. Nah, I’m good thanks

4. My heart says Eye of the Tiger. Maybe Holy Diver. Or else something suitably Steinmanny.

5. Universe is a big place, don’t see why we should hog all the sentience.

6. Being chased down the street by the Technodrome
Old 04-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Probably a tie between Bored of the Rings and Guy Gavriel Kay's The Summer Tree. The former was trying so desperately to be funny that it came off as obnoxious. The latter was trying to be some kind of fantasy epic but was just dull.

The jumble is too easy and Sudoku is too difficult. Crosswords are just right.

3. Do you want to dance?
Yes. I wish I could afford dance classes, though.

Assuming I ever had a car/learned to drive, I would be screaming along to this.

Yes, absolutely.

I dreamed of being an artist, once.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:16 PM
PUNK ROCK VAMPIRE DESTROY

The Lord of the Rings. Monstress. The first Dresden Files book. in middle school we took part in an experimental reading program where we were supposed to read books from a predetermined selection and then take a comprehension quiz on that book online. Each book had a point value and what percentage of that value you got was determined by your score on the quiz. You had a minimum points quota and got bonuses based on your value at the end of the experiment. Naturally, I gamed the system by reading the single highest point value book in the library: The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan, which I powered through and got the maximum score on despite hating it so much that I've basically lost the ability to enjoy fantasy novels that weren't written by Terry Pratchett (and even then only if Rincewind's not in them).

I have recently realized how much I love crosswords, except for the clues that require being able to name celebrities.

3. Do you want to dance?
DO YOU D.A.N.C.E?
1-2-3-4-5
STICK TO THE B.E.A.T
GET READY TO IGNITE
I dance constantly. I dance at home, I dance at work. I dance at bus stops and crosswalks. I dance while I walk and I dance while I cook. I have a pair of Sennheisers forever soldered to my head and a constant stream of hard-bass electronic disco pop nonsense. I can't not dance... except when I am required to dance with other people.

Runners up include the Minutes Til Midnight remix used for the Drifters OP and the best song from the Nitronic Rush soundtrack.

Yes, but I also don't think we'll ever contact it.

A nightmare about a giant dinosaur-esque creature destroying a city, like Godzilla but before I could have possibly known about Godzilla. It spoke in a booming voice and the city around me was crumbling to ash and being consumed by lava. It scared the hell out of me.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:27 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

I know there's a lot of love for this literary classic but 'The Great Gatsby' bored the shit out of me. F. Scott Fitzgerald was far more interesting than his stories.

Crosswords.

3. Do you want to dance?
Never.

"Them Bones", by Alice in Chains

"Do I believe in intelligent life on this planet" is the better question.

No idea. I don't ever have repeating dreams. I do remember having a lot of those "I'M FALLING OMG" dreams when I was younger, though.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:31 PM

Probably Ishi: Last of His Tribe. Which is kinda funny because if I read it today, I probably would adore it. But my 3rd grade teacher thought it would be a good thing for us to read as a class, and it was a boring book for a 3rd grader to be reading. And I blame this singular book for killing my desire to read for over a decade. Which was very unfortunate because I loved reading prior. Ishi was the moment where my hobby became work and stopped being fun.

Sudoku. Hands down. Sudokus aren't hard. They just require a little pattern recognition. They're basically just logic puzzles. And you approach each one in the exact same way. I find them very therapeutic. I used to do them every day on the bus to school back in university.

3. Do you want to dance?
Yes. I love to dance. Unfortunately, I'm a very tall and lanky person who is very uncoordinated so I look really dumb while doing it. Which makes me self-conscious, so then I start looking even more dumb. It helps to have alcohol in my system to loosen up my inhibitions, but me and alcohol don't go together. I will frequently dance by myself when I'm at home tho.

Absolutely.

Diamond Center dream from my last response.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:31 PM

I hope this thread ends with johnny telling us all which spice girl we are
Old 04-23-2018, 06:39 PM

It's going to end with "haha, I have stolen all of your identities!"
Old 04-23-2018, 06:51 PM
Mystery Contraption

You’re both thinking too small.

He’s going to steal a Spice Girls identity.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:05 PM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

Quote:
3. Do you want to dance?
I missed the last two sets so I may come back to those.

1) It FINALLY came to me: As I Lay Dying by William Faulker. A modern classic, but one that was just not for me. I didn't like the chapter structure with different narrators of various quality, the writing style, or the overall mood of the book.
2) Crosswords, probably. I like word stuff more than number stuff, and Jumble is less interesting to me.
3) haha not really I'll let him do it for me

4)
5) Yes. I feel that the odds we are the only intelligent life in a universe as vast as ours are ludicrous.
6) Falling off a cliff and being hit by a train but not having it hurt me in any way. Very surreal to think about.

Last edited by WildcatJF; 04-25-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:17 PM
Still writing out 2018.

Could not bring myself to finish Great Expectations. The one book I finished and wound up just hating was A Confederacy of Dunces, which surprised me a little.

Crossword for sure. I suck at Sudoku.

3. Do you want to dance?

I rarely believe in intelligent life on this planet.

Reoccurring drowning in the pool dream.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:09 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Ready Player One comes to mind. This wasn't even Internet-influenced; I recalled hearing good things about the book, so I checked it out, read through it, and bounced hard off of it.

But I did finish RPO. No, the worst book I can remember is Powerless. There are apparently lots of books with this title; the one I read was part of the Hero Agenda series. It's a book about a girl who doesn't have superpowers, which is not altogether uncommon but is an unusual choice for a superhero book.

Back up a second for context: I never stop reading a book. It's a sunk cost thing for me. If I started reading it, I'm committed. I may not move on to the rest of the series, but I finish my books.

I did not finish Powerless.

The protagonist's mother has inoculated her against villain powers. Specifically villains. Hero powers still work on her. This suggests that there's some fundamental difference between heroes and villains, but the book doesn't explain this in its first half. This really bothers me. You should explain your metaphysics if it's going to be that much of a thing!

But that's not what caused me to stop reading.

At one point, the protagonist's mother is missing, presumed kidnapped. The protagonist searches her mother's room and, unable to find her, calls her cell phone. She hears the phone ring from inside the room. She retrieves the phone and attempts to investigate it, but the phone is out of batteries.

I instantly put down the book and stopped reading. The phone that just rang is out of batteries. The protagonist does not notice the contradiction. How does this get published, let alone a sequel?

Crossword. I can solve most Jumbles in seconds, and Sudoku isn't terribly interesting once you've worked out how to solve the higher-level ones.

3. Do you want to dance?

I don't.

A theoretical passenger is welcome to listen to whatever, but I drive with the radio off by default.

Seems likely.

I'm behind the wheel of my parents' GMC minivan. The van is in reverse, and I can't control it. It backs out of the driveway and across the street, where it lands in the neighbor's yard.

This dream is notable because it was in a sort of orange-and-white monochrome.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:42 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

I'll just say the entire Fred Saberhagen Books of Swords series. They're all pretty much the same, so any one of them will do. I've read a lot of bad fantasy, but they take the cake. I still have a nostalgic fondness for them, though, and the titular swords themselves are a fun concept that I used to be obsessed with.

None, because they're all time-wasters that I resent, but if I had to choose, Picross, which should be in newspapers.

3. Do you want to dance?
Only if I'm very drunk.

Initial D! (In fact, I have done exactly this. Back in university, I used to literally floor the gas on my old white tempo on Saturday nights while blasting Initial D, which was very, very stupid; quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever done. Could get it up to 180 kph (that's ~110 mph) on long straight stretches.

I think it's possible, and statistically likely, but not guaranteed.

A nightmare about the Highway to Heaven Halloween episode, I Was a Middle Aged Werewolf. That episode really fucked me up.

Last edited by JBear; 04-24-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:53 PM
Mad Overlord

The Sword of Shannara. I read everything as a kid, and this is the first time I remember having the epiphany that actual published books could be terrible. It's one thing to be heavily inspired by Tolkien, but every single character and plot beat in this directly corresponds to one in LotR.

Crossword if I literally had nothing else to do but those choices. In the real world, I guess the Jumble, because I can be done with it in a few seconds and do something much more entertaining.

3. Do you want to dance?

No.

Iron Maiden - The Trooper

Sure. The universe is a big place, though, so I think it's unlikely that we'll ever meet it.

Being stalked by a wolf.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:38 PM
Still writing out 2018.

This thread is going to be super handy when Festivus doom rolls around.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:42 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
At one point, the protagonist's mother is missing, presumed kidnapped. The protagonist searches her mother's room and, unable to find her, calls her cell phone. She hears the phone ring from inside the room. She retrieves the phone and attempts to investigate it, but the phone is out of batteries.

I instantly put down the book and stopped reading. The phone that just rang is out of batteries. The protagonist does not notice the contradiction. How does this get published, let alone a sequel?
Oh, so that's why it's called Powerless!

Alt response: Maybe that's her power, sucking the power out of things, by the time she touches the phone the battery goes *boop*. But you didn't get to know because you didn't read up to the reveal!

Alt alt response: Hey, it happens. The battery might've been critical and drew its last breath by making the phone ring.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:00 AM
till the sheriff stops by

I wish I had a good answer for this. I don't read prose novels as frequently as I'd like and I feel like there might have been a bad non-fiction I read a while back and forgot about. So instead of out-and-out shitty, I'm going to go with a book that I had high hopes for but let down by: John Dies at the End. I was a big fan of Cracked.com and I heard there was a Don Coscarelli movie coming, so I was interested. And I don't remember finding it bad, but it was neither funny, scary or innovative as I hoped it would be. So until I remember something better, that's the best I can do.

Crosswords. Easy. In Canada, one of our papers, the Globe and Mail, has a huge annual crossword for the Christmas edition that me and my mom did. We thought the tradition would end this year since there is no more print edition of the paper, but they sent us one this year, so that's cool.

3. Do you want to dance?
Only when no one is watching or when I'm walking down the street and I'm so into the song, I just don't care. But it's not good dancing.

A lot of good choices, but lately I've been thinking it should be this.

With this as a runner up.

100%. I just feel sad that it is very unlikely we will encounter them any time soon.

Fraggles where trapped in a mountain shaped like a toilet and some tainted food was turning them into green-skinned zombies. What does this say about 6 year old me?
Old 04-28-2018, 09:34 PM
happy eelpiphany

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
3. Do you want to dance?
1. I remember reading The Watsons Go to Birmingham during the summer before middle school and finding it really boring at the time. I think if I revisited it I'd have a more positive opinion of it though, as my knowledge of both the lives of Black folk in America and of abyssal, cthonic horrors has changed over the years.

2. I'm a numbers guy. I prefer Sudoku of the bunch. Jumble isn't particularly exciting and crosswords tend to rely too much on hyperspecific pop culture knowledge in a lot of cases. I like the idea of trying to use cryptic hints to determine letters.

3. I did show choir for a year in high school. I'm not against the idea of dancing, but I'm absolutely shit at choreographical stuff and there's almost certainly a video record proving this. If I could, I would.

4. This answer changed yesterday. Before that I would have said "probably one or any of the songs from Turbo OutRun" but now I know the correct answer is probably Americans:

Of course going over the speed limit is the point where me listening to the song makes it less Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" and more just being the subject of the song being mocked.

5. Well, yeah. Of course we never see them. We're out in the galatic equivalent of the boondocks. I would imagine the conditions for life are a lot better in areas with somewhat denser star clusters, meaning also a lot more potential places for civilisations and the potential for trade amongst them. By the way, isn't it fucked up how we always talk about space colonies but never about space colonialism

6. I don't know. There was a plane. Chairs of the sort you might see at a highway diner. Folks where there. So was my violin teacher. I don't remember much of anything else.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:46 AM

Default Week of April 30-May 6, 2018

1) What country that you have never been to would you like to visit?
2) What's love got to do got to do with it?
3) How did you get that scar?
4) Who is your favourite Green Lantern?
5) What's your fallback position?
6) When's the last time you hosted a party?
Old 04-30-2018, 05:54 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
1. Sweden seems pretty cool. I think I’d like to see that.
2. It represents the failing one-third of the things Meatloaf mentioned in “2 out of 3 ain’t bad”, and still granted the relationship a “not bad” status. So apparently not much.
3. I Ran into a table. Look, I was 2, okay? My motor control wasn’t as good as it is now. Now I don’t run into tables ALL THE TIME.
4. Guy Gardner is the obvious choice, but G’nort is a friendly dog! And a super nice dude! How can I pick anything else?
5. Defensive Tank, with Healing
6. Boxing Day, it’s usually my family’s job to host a brunch for all the rest of the extended family. It’s wearying and my dog doesn’t like crowds.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:01 AM

Canada, in fact. Would you people show me around?

I dunno.
What is love?
Baby don't hurt me don't hurt me no more.

Errr.... the sebaceous cyst they were removing turned out to be quite bigger than expected... no epic tales here. u_u

Alt scar, alt answer: I was born!

I've only ever seen the Ryan Reynolds movie and eh.... *shrug*

Lying on my back I guess, hurt after falling, hopefully not a great height.

Last March 17th, my birthday & flat grand opening party.
I got Zef as a present! (graphical evidence to come later)
Old 04-30-2018, 06:33 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Japan. Confirmed weeb here.

Enh, not a whole lot these days.

Was running late for a C programming class in university and slipped getting out of the shower. Landed head-first on the side of the tub and drove my front teeth through my bottom lip (as well as giving myself a concussion and a black eye).

N/A

Wincing and waiting for the impact.

Back when I was married and used to have folks over for New Year's, I think.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:03 AM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Italy and Japan.

Nothing. It's just a second-hand emotion.

Punched my boss in the mouth on accident and hit (and broke) his tooth and cut myself on said tooth.

Lanterns are fine, I suppose, as long they provide enough light. Don't really care if they're green or not.

"I'm too tired and old." This is almost always accurate.

If you count birthday parties for the kids, then last Halloween. For myself? Never. I don't like people in my house.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:51 AM
Better be the real thing.

Greece, especially for the churches. Like the one where snakes swarm all over the place to venerate icons every year, or maybe Patmos, or somewhere on Mt. Athos.

Depends which love you're talking about. Philia, Eros, Storge, or Agape?

Some Legos were stuck together really hard, and when they came apart, one of the corners scratched the back of my hand, over the thumb joint.

Ask my dad, he's the Green Lantern fan.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have? Do not the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brothers only, what is unusual about that? Do not the pagans do the same? So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect.

For my last birthday, a couple of friends went out to this local diner that makes some great cake, and each got a slice. The slices are huge.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:59 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Quote:
1. Oh heck, lots. Iceland. Thailand. Turkey. Switzerland. Peru/Chile. Egypt. Madagascar. Bunch of the Middle East if it were a bit safer.

2. Guh. Everything. It doesn't *solve* anything, sadly, but it has everything to do with it.

3. Stabbed myself with a kitchen knife by being stupid while making guacamole.

5. Man, I wish I knew.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:30 PM

In descending order of bucket-list priority: France > Japan > Taiwan > Germany > Italy

Everything and nothing

Cat scratches and biopsies

Favorite GL of Sector 2814? Probably Hal Jordan, as vanilla as that answer is. I really adored the Geoff Johns run on GL. Outside of those? Honorable mentions to N52 Earth 2 Alan Scott (great character; wasted potential), Kilowog, Sinestro, Mogo, Bzzd, Ch'p, Soranik Natu, Sodom Yat.

Depends on the emergency. Home invasion - out the nearest window and booking it down the street or over the fence asap. Earthquake - underneath a door-frame in back half of the house. Nuclear war - ride due East into the foothills ASAP. Flood - rooftop if I can't get out in time; due East into the foothills if I do. Rampaging Wildfire - West/North towards the river delta, or just the opposite direction. Emotional trauma? Curled up into a little ball underneath my bed sheets.

Hmmmm... 8 years ago at this point. It was a moving out party for my roommates and I. It was an utter shitshow. Left the place trashed just two days before we were supposed to move out, making an already herculean task of cleaning the apartment that much more daunting. I was at Kratos levels of seething, dull rage by the end.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensenic View Post
Last March 17th, my birthday & flat grand opening party.
I got Zef as a present! (graphical evidence to come later)
As promised:

Gotta say it even felt slightly awkward the first days whenever I would catch sight of 'im. What are you doing in my house, Zef?
Old 04-30-2018, 03:18 PM

Noice. Also Spike Spiegel hanging out with Umjammer Lammy should be canon.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:12 PM

...Thailand...

I have a lot of emotional hangups about love. I want to be loved more than anything else.

Head: one on my nose from a terrible pimple when I was about 20 and a seemingly permanent indentation from where I had the same blackhead for ten years and then dug it out with a knife.
Torso: shitload of stretch marks on my stomach from gaining weight at the height of my depression plus a couple around my armpits from my breasts growing in.
Right arm: a big angry one on my forearm from bumping into a display at work, one on my wrist from a razor blade (like, shaving, not, y'know).
Left arm: one about halfway down from running into a locker door when I worked at Blockbuster, two crossed over each other in an X from running into the same locker door two additional times.
Right leg: circle of scar tissue and permanent indentation from whamming it into the steps getting onto the school bus in ninth grade, likely a chip in the actual bone
Left leg: I dunno, probably somethin'.

No matter what I'm worried about failing at, someone dumber than me has succeeded, so it's alright.

I guess never. I think I had a birthday party when I was a kid once.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:50 PM

Oh yeah, how could I forget?

Addendum to #5: School Shooting - lock the door, turn off the lights, flip a desk or cabinet in front of the door, and cower in fear in a corner or behind the teacher's desk.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:54 PM
happy eelpiphany

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
1. Maybe Ireland or England. I wouldn't want to live in one but I do have a fondness for those grassy little villages. Plus they all mostly speak the same language, and there's lotsa beer.

2. Not enough, by the looks of things.

3. I'm surprised you even noticed it. It's so small! Like they said in catechism class, "Your body is a temple university athletic program, don't do anything exciting with it". (That may not be an exact quote, sorry, it's been quite a while.) Anyway I was like 8 and riding on my bike around the neighborhood while my dad was pulling into the street from work and I decided to race him. Not surprisingly, I was going a little too fast to control safely and as I pulled in couldn't turn in close enough and wound up scraping my finger against the stuccoed divider between the garage doors as I tried to brake desperately.

4. I thought that movie was good god dammit, or at least better than the reputation it gets. I can't believe after we got Man of Steel that Warner stayed the course with Batman vs. Superman considering how badly they reacted to the reviews of that one. It might have been goofy but GL had more going on than that whole "Randian figures stare off into the middle distance a bunch" schtick.

5. People can be counted on to do the right thing -- if you twist their arms hard enough

6. There was a thing in November where a couple of the lady's friends came over. Sort of a birthday thing, I guess? Tacos were had. I guess if you count wild online gatherings, #Knucklemania2018 was a bit like a party.

Last edited by muteKi; 05-03-2018 at 12:09 AM.