The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

View Poll Results: How good wasit?
Too good! 31 46.97%
Very good! 35 53.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2008, 09:20 PM
i musnt run away

I haven't read through the whole thread, but thought I'd toss in my two cents:

This movie was awesome. Totally kicked ass. I've never been a fan of Iron Man really but this was fucking great.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I finally saw this last night with my wife. We both really liked it but now I've got a serious hankerin' for Marvel Vs. Capcom. Time to break out the Dreamcast I suppose.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:10 PM

I just got back from seeing it -- WOW. Great acting, awesome effects, a semi-honest attempt to address a real issue, and surprisingly funny robots. Also, I can't believe how well they tied together elements from the original creation with modern developments.

Also, a special thank-you to Terence Howard for being Jim Rhodes. I was fearing the stereotypical bass-voiced muscle-bound marine, but we were treated to an intellectual officer instead.

Okay, I'm now reading this thread to see what's gone before me, but I'm still psyched from the show and had to get my thoughts down.

(Whoosh! Man, those flying scenes were golden.)

All right, now that I've heard from the crowd:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindblue View Post
Also, I expect the post-credits scene (...) to be spliced with that scene from Deep Blue Sea posthaste. You know what I'm talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Speaking of hidden stuff...

Hm, what's that under Tony's right elbow...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Is this another one of your conspiracy theories about the Jews?
Mis-reading that, I went back to Sven's picture, trying to see what could possibly tie in as a reference to Jaws.

I did, however, think that I saw either a flux capacitor or a proton thrower on Tony's workbench in Afghanistan. Really, given all the references in this movie, they could have snuck in a Predator skull somewhere and I wouldn't have been surprised.

Finally -- I didn't take it quite as seriously as the linked article, but yeah, the line "Just because you have an idea doesn't mean it's yours" had a nice weight to it, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear it repeated in the sequel. In the context of Armor Wars, it's Tony Stark's equivalent to the power=responsibility mantra.

Last edited by Aquadeo; 05-19-2008 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Ready, Fire, Aim
Old 05-22-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Speaking of hidden stuff...

Hm, what's that under Tony's right elbow...?
It's a horrible fan made photo manip!

I just took a look at the trailers from the website(s) and when we're looking at a crystal clear image there's nothing there....distorting an image to hide a photoshop job? That still works?

I also spotted some fun stuff that had better be on the DVD-Stark getting a full body scan in the garage (I guess for suit fitting), and I am pretty sure the shots of the Iron Monger being welded together weren't in the flick either.

Gotta agree with Aquadeo above me-I figured that Rhodey's presence would be to establish the Token Black Role, say some "funny stuff" and maybe get killed off (not to get rid of the black guy, of course, but to show how evil the bad guys are, right?).....instead we're given a character with depth! I almost DON'T want to see him turn into War Machine and have to fight Stark now!

On the note of the American Film Industry's Obligatory Token Black Role, does anyone else find it strange and disheartening that being part of a marketing checklist is apparently less offensive than not being represented?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:54 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
....instead we're given a character with depth! I almost DON'T want to see him turn into War Machine and have to fight Stark now!
Remember, if they DO go down the alcoholism path, Rhodes is the hero of the piece since he's the one who has to get Tony to stop. Heck, I'd love to see the silver armor make an appearance.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:24 AM

True, but I can't see the alcoholism path being taken-in several interviews the question has been asked, and Favs has commented that it's too serious a road to take-"We're aiming at a Fantastic Four type family friendliness, and the social commentary can be left to the XMen films" or something to that effect.

Of course, I'd say they missed the mark by a long shot if they were aiming for Fantastic Four......and in the best ways possible!
Old 05-23-2008, 02:37 AM
Orb Friend

Actually, it's just been confirmed that yes that is in fact Captain America's shield there. And that the Super-Soldier Serum will show up in the new Hulk movie. And that the upcoming Captain America movie will be a period piece taking place during WWII.

Awesome.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheana View Post
Actually, it's just been confirmed that yes that is in fact Captain America's shield there. And that the Super-Soldier Serum will show up in the new Hulk movie. And that the upcoming Captain America movie will be a period piece taking place during WWII.
I was an indie comics reader for the most part, so I'm not up on all the DC/Marvel lore for the most part. Why would Stark have Captain America's shield?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:30 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scud View Post
Of course, I'd say they missed the mark by a long shot if they were aiming for Fantastic Four......and in the best ways possible!
Yeah... but Iron Man isn't exactly a family-friendly hero, you know? That didn't really come through in this one, but the way to go with it isn't to make it lighter in the sequels.

Quote:
I TOLD ALL Y'ALL! YE OF LITTLE FAITH!

Ahem. Yay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
I was an indie comics reader for the most part, so I'm not up on all the DC/Marvel lore for the most part. Why would Stark have Captain America's shield?
Depends on the context. Could just be a side-project of the Iron Man armor, could be that he's been doing some digging in the Arctic, could be that for all we know Captain America already exists in the movie universe and Stark has been doing work for SHIELD on the side all the time (he doesn't know Fury yet, but SHIELD is obviously well-known).

In the comics, Stark's the tech source for the Avengers, and also is generally Cap's funding source, so he's churned out more than a few in his time (most famously when Rogers was replaced as Cap), although tradition has it that there's only one real shield and its forging is so shrouded in mystery that it's never been able to be duplicated (Thor punched it once while carrying the full power of Odin; it left a small dent). Not that Tony hasn't TRIED, mind you....

[There's actually a neat Marvel / DC duality there: Superman's cape, while iconic, is the part of his costume most easily destroyed. Cap's shield is the equivalent, but it's virtually indestructible.]
Old 05-23-2008, 10:37 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Quote:
Depends on the context. Could just be a side-project of the Iron Man armor, could be that he's been doing some digging in the Arctic, could be that for all we know Captain America already exists in the movie universe and Stark has been doing work for SHIELD on the side all the time.

In the comics, Stark's the tech source for the Avengers, and also is generally Cap's funding source, so he's churned out more than a few in his time.
No, SHIELD's still pretty new in the movie, they didn't even call themselves SHIELD until the end, so I don't think he was working with them. I still think that "shield" is just a blur or a photoshop, not Captain America's Shield

Also Comic history: Cap's Shield is a one of kind item. While there have been a few copies, none of them are as indestrucible as Cap's Shield. Heck, Wolverine's claws can't even hurt it.

EDIT: Damn it Sven, quit changing your post so you are right.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:04 AM
:3

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
the upcoming Captain America movie will be a period piece taking place during WWII

yes yes YES
Old 05-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

I vote YES on proposition WWII.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Hawkguy

As long as it's not Ultimate Captain America.

What a jerk.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Orb Friend

Damn, you're right, there could be a chance of that. They went with Ultimate Nick Fury, after all.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

A couple fish-out-of-water gags might be welcome, but Ultimate Cap would be a dealbreaker.

Hell, Brendan Fraser got away with, "Whoa! A negro!". I'm sure they can manage.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:22 PM
twinkling photon

just got back from this

as somebody with almost no knowledge about superhero comics, it was still a fucking fantastic movie, and RDJ carried the whole goddamn thing to greatness
Old 05-24-2008, 09:09 PM

I was expecting to enjoy this movie but it turned out I really, really liked it. Fantastic casting. Robert Downey Jr. is perfect as Tony Stark and I loved Paltrow as Pepper Potts and Howard as Rhodey were all great. Best summer movie so far...until Dark Knight.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:53 PM
I say thee neigh

In spite of how great Iron Man is, I really have a hard time seeing an Avengers movie work...ever. It seems it's one of those "Bigger is better" ideas that is doomed to catastrophic failure, like having the Sinister Six as the bad guys in a Spider-Man movie. It's not completely impossible, but odds for success to me are SCREAMINGLY low.

Then again if Thor and Captain America (and Ant Man I guess?) are all great then I might change my tune
Old 05-26-2008, 08:11 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

So apparently Titan from American Gladiators is auditioning for the role of Captain America.

I could see that. Not sure about his acting, but he has the look pretty good. Funny thing, after one of the episodes last season where a contender hurt himself but still kept going during the event and Titan gave him props and got the crowd to cheer for him, I've thought always thought of him as Captain America.

Tags
marvel cinematic universe